[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SonsOfNeptune/ general. How come /out/ never has any threads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12

File: windjammerroundingthecape.jpg (167KB, 720x496px) Image search: [Google]
windjammerroundingthecape.jpg
167KB, 720x496px
/SonsOfNeptune/ general.

How come /out/ never has any threads about the most vast wilderness of all, the ocean (besides fishing threads)?

Anyone setting sail on any adventures soon? Diving trips? Maritime-camping?

I'm thinking of trying my hand at life-raft survival sometime, videoing it. Starting with just 2 or 3 days and working up from there.
>>
>>788269
Sailing costs money. Most folks here are of a demographic that doesn't have that kind of money. If you want to talk about sailing you really need to talk to recently retired boomers.
>>
>>788279
A used sailboat costs less than a half-decent used car these days, a used motorboat can usually be had for the price of the engine bolted to it.
>>
>>788287
I priced a used boat at about $19k usd which isn't bad if you plan on living on it (i do). But from my understanding docking fees are a bitch. As for a tin can with a motor you gotta make sure its seaworthy. Cant take a lake boat to the ocean without getting capsized
>>
>>788287
The cheaper you get the boat, the more you'll pay for maintenance.

I'd love to get a Etap 22s and sail to Antarctica, trek over miles of brutal sea ice, and then go bug people at McMurdo Station, but I don't have that kind of scratch.
>>
>>788368
Can you tell me more about living on a boat? Sounds comfy.
>>
>>788279
sailing is cheap. used sailboats can be had for a song. keeping them in a berth doesnt cost much. and at some marinas you can live aboard. seems right up /out/s alley..

Our humble sailboat cost us 9k we added some comforts and better nav systems and has worked like a champ, been up and down the west coast from cabo to bc several times already
>>
>>788407
>The cheaper you get the boat, the more you'll pay for maintenance.
Thats why you buy a affordable boat, not a cheap one.
There is a difference you know.

>I'd love to get a Etap 22s and sail to Antarctica, trek over miles of brutal sea ice, and then go bug people at McMurdo Station, but I don't have that kind of scratch.

Just because i can't afford to buy a WRC car it doesn't mean i can't be interested in or participate in motor sport.
>>
>>788924
Well, the Etap series appeals to be for the simple reason that I intend to do stupid shit with my boat.

Notably antarctic missions.
>>
>>788279

While sailing is obviously a huge part of taking part in the ocean-wilderness, it is not the only part and this thread is about all things related out oceanic /out/ activities.

Even just doing the normal /out/ activities (bushcraft, camping, survival, enjoying nature, etc.) in a maritime-ecosystem is part of this thread.

Also, as far as going out to the actual ocean there are far more ways to do so then a sailboat/motorboat; a kayak can be had for the price of a backpack for example and can take you on epic adventures just as a boat can.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 320x214px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 320x214px
Thinking about getting into sailing. Me and the gf are going to take sailing classes this summer then hopefully I'll get a boat next year.

About how cheap can I get a 22'-30' seaworthy sailboat? I don't mind doing minor repairs, but I'd like to avoid boats with major problems.

If it matters, I live in Chicago and the boats here are almost always exclusively freshwater. So in theory, they should be in better snap than ocean boats.
>>
File: asdf1.jpg (445KB, 1946x1146px) Image search: [Google]
asdf1.jpg
445KB, 1946x1146px
>>788269
I bought an old 22' boat a few years ago. Totally gutted it and rebuilt: woodwork, electrical, plumbing and alll. I had fun with it until the engine kept failing me out on the water.
If anything, make sure your engine is tip-top
>>
Many people think sailing is for the wealthy, but it really is astonishingly cheap. Just sail other people's boats. They're always looking for crew, and all it will cost you is beer. Sure, it's not quite like owning your own boat, but when something breaks, you don't have to pay the bills. As you get to know more people, you'll be more experienced, and get more rides. People will invite you to do deliveries and all sorts of races and things.

If you do buy a boat, don't get one you can't afford to fix.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 490x317px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 490x317px
Would "The Implication" be a good boat name?
>>
>>791455
Yeah.
>>
Amateur yacht racer here, 2000+ n.m. on the clock as part of a crew (bowman).

Favourite moment was halfway through a 20hour race from one island to another, where we encountered 40mph head-winds at pitch-black darkness in the night (save for moonlight) and Beaufort 9 seas. Sailed that shit upwind, ripped the Genoa, replaced it with a storm-jib on the fly (the captain is nuts and refused to go more leeward than a few degrees so as not to ruin his run), managed to clock 16knots and proceeded get a podium finish.

Offshore sailing races are fantastic, if you're on a good crew and your captain knows what he's doing. It's not just about races though, sailing holidays and expeditions are also great. Do it!
>>
>>791478
See, my big worry is that I'll fall off of the boat like a retard and never be seen again.
>>
>>791481
If you know how to swim and can stay afloat for a few mintues it's fine. No captain will leave a man overboard FFS, even if turning round to pick you up means losing the race. Also, yachts really aren't that fast. Most yachts only really reach the speed of a slowly moving car, so it's not like you will be miles behind in a matter of seconds. In stormy weather like the one I described, they tether you to the boat so literally can't fall off (tethers are cumbersome af though).
>>
>>791484
I'm assuming it'd happen at night or something when I'm the only one on deck.

I've been daysailing before, but I just assume I'll do something stupid and get myself killed if I'm allowed to spend a night at sea.
>>
>>791486
> I'm the only one on deck.
Very rarely the case unless you're talking about cruising and not racing. In a race you always need at least a couple of people on deck apart from the captain.
>>
File: Ranger and Hanuman.jpg (143KB, 980x580px) Image search: [Google]
Ranger and Hanuman.jpg
143KB, 980x580px
>ywn be a billionaire and buy a J class to circumnavigate indefinitely

feels bad
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (1MB, 4096x2287px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
1MB, 4096x2287px
>>791502
Sailed in a race with one twice and got to sail boat to boat next to them. Never seen anything as beautiful on the sea before. Probably never will again either.
>>
File: ShortImprobableAlaskankleekai.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ShortImprobableAlaskankleekai.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>791512
My only exposure to sailing is little 14 footers on lakes in the Adirondacks and a week at sea base. I need to move closer to an ocean...
>>
>>791502
I have this recurring fantasy of commissioning a 1850s era clipper ship and using it for all of my long distance travel.
>>
>>789699
I dont know, but a used boat in a decent state with a length of about 30 feet costs around 30 to 50k.
I dont know about freshwater boats.
>>
>>789699
If you're in the US, you're lucky. Sailboats (actually boats of all kinds) are significantly cheaper there than Yurop.
>>
>>791521
That would help, but there's some pretty serious lake sailing in the Great Lakes and in the lakes of central Europe (the latter is mainly with smaller boats).
>>
File: image.png (554KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
554KB, 640x1136px
>>791701

How much would this boat run you in Yuroland?
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/boa/5622913792.html
>>
>>791826
Probably 1/3 more than that. Also, when it comes to racing boats, there are certain classes that were much more popular in the U.S but much more rare over here and as a result they cost significantly less there.
>>
>>791521
>>791512
>>791502
Theyre stunning boats
>>
>>791655

That's not even a little bit true. For that price and length you can get a VERY, VERY good boat if you look for one.

For 50k you can get an amazingly nice, beautiful 30 foot boat.
>>
>>792215

And to clarify: I am saying paying 50k for a 30 foot boat is not necessary at all, but if you do it would be a friggin' incredible, far above average used boat if you look around.
>>
File: p1040767.jpg (4MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
p1040767.jpg
4MB, 3456x2592px
>>792181
They are indeed, they're also massively expensive unfortunately. I'm not sure how I feel about the way they look with modern sails though. On one hand they make them go much faster, on the other they look a little bit odd.

>>792216
I know that's not the kind of boat he was talking about but you can get a bloody Farr 30 for that money!
>>
The wife and i are planning to buy a Bavaria 42 later this year. They are ex charter boats and the fleets are getting renewed so they are going cheap.
The one we are interested in sleeps 6, has a watermaker, genset, new diesel, new sails, bimini, solar panels and autopilot.

Under 80.000 USD. Not cheap, but not that expensive for what it is.
>>
>>792645
>ex-charter
Bareboat charters or skippered charters?
Make sure you give it a very thorough look or take if you lack the experience take it to a boatyard first. I know folk who run boat-charter businesses, folk who work as skippers for charters and folk who have chartered boats when they just got their licenses and I've heard horror-stories from all three categories. e.g. bunch of novices ripping the sails in stormy weather, followed by engine failure, followed by crashing on to the rocks.

As long as it's not more expensive to fix the boat properly (to a point where it can sail for a few more years) than to buy a replacement, charter businesses will fix it because they care less about the boat being perfect (it's not their personal boat) and it's resale value than they do about being -1 boat come holiday season and the cost of getting a replacement.
>>
>>792645
All the above notwithstanding, Bavaria 42s are great boats so I hope you get a good one because you'll be very happy with it.
>>
>>792694
Skippered charter, in fact, we chartered the very boat we are buying last year. We asked some questions, got approval and now we are just going through the motions. I'm hiring a surveyor in Tenerife to go over the boat, and will take possession in November.
>>
>>792711
Sounds good, will you able to get it on a crane and check its hull before finalising?
>>
>>788415
I can. It's actually not that comfy.
The rocking isn't that bad, you can get used to it, but a boat makes a lot of sounds at night and the hull resonates, so you need earplugs.

As far as space goes, it depends on how big your boat is, but if you want to live on the boat for extended periods of time, I'd go no smaller than 30 feet (for 2 people). All your clothes should fit in a (big) duffel bag. Use all the space that's available to you (under the benches, under the floor, in the cabinets, in the toilets, under the stairs). Don't bring useless things. Learn to be tidy, because a boat gets cluttered very easily.
Expect to move things around a lot. For example, the spinnaker goes into the fore cabin when you're not sleeping in it.

As far as price goes, it's really not that expensive to be a live aboard, I'd say slightly more expensive than living in an RV. Bear in mind that this is about a sailboat. I don't know how living in a motorboat works. I'm guessing motorboats have docking fees that sailboats may not necessarily have. On a sailboat, I could go two weeks without being docked, I'm not sure if motorboats can do that. Some of them probably can.
>>
>>793087
Post pics of your boat!
>>
>>788407
I've worked at mcmurdo for a few seasons. Just get a job for a summer (or winter) down there. Youdont really need a science degree, they need all trades. Worse case scenario you become a dishwasher.
Save up your money while you're there, take a kick ass trip through NZ, AUS or the islands in the region for relatively low money.
I was backpacking through there. They pay for your round trip flight to and from home.
Plus you don't have to worry about your used bargain bin boat capsizing in frozen waters like happens all too often there.
>>
>>793107
The thing that appealed to me about taking a boat there is that it seems to be the only way to visit the Antarctic mainland without either taking a cruise for a one day stopover or getting a government job.

Obviously, I don't think the people at an Antarctic station would appreciate having some guy just show up.
>>
>>788287
Maybe a 15 footer with no cabin and a broken centerboard. Even if the boat is inexpensive, you have to store it, get a trailer, etc. It's a big expense. I just pay my $250 annual yacht club membership and sail recreationally. I leave the camping to my car.
>>
File: crew.jpg (457KB, 1024x895px) Image search: [Google]
crew.jpg
457KB, 1024x895px
>>791512
We'll need some crew.......
>>
File: endurance.jpg (213KB, 1025x1069px) Image search: [Google]
endurance.jpg
213KB, 1025x1069px
no, but i like listening to Liam Neeson telling me about how horrible it is
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyQRHHHXntc
>>
>>793517
Working as crew for J-class boat is a dream job!
>>
>>792645
Looks like a knockoff of a Nautor Swan
Right down to the blue coach stripe
>>
How big a boat would you need to cross an ocean ?
>>
>>795157

That depends in how comfortable and safe you want to be. I think the record is the 5' 4" "Father's Day" which sailed across the Atlantic.
>>
Is there anywhere we could dock all of our boats off a deserted island and claim it NEET land?
>>
>>795359
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvet_Island

I think if you're sailing full time, that isn't even NEET.

That's a career choice.
>>
>>789627
I surf. Does that count? What are we discussing here?
I've done some pretty adventurous (read: stupid) paddling out to remote reef breaks and islands close to the coast.
I've never really seen the appeal of sailing other than as a lifestyle. Just owning a boat and occasionally taking it out doesn't seem fun. Completely devoting yourself to sailing long distances full time and adventuring, on the other hand, sounds like a blast.
>>
>>795378
>Completely devoting yourself to sailing long distances full time and adventuring, on the other hand, sounds like a blast.
So why don't you like sailing? Long-distance regattas are awesome, longest race I ever did for one was a 35 hour non-stop from island to island. No sleep, no stopping, just keep going till you reach your destination. There are 10 and 15 day regattas like this where you sail from checkpoint to checkpoint and to small inshore races at each checkpoint to keep it interesting. Combination of off-shore endurance style racing and technical inshore racing. People who think that sailing is for old farts are mistaken.

>>795148
Yeah it's also about a third of the price, new.
>>
>>788269
>How come /out/ never has any threads about the most vast wilderness of all, the ocean (besides fishing threads)?
Owning a boat is a specialty thing for most people requiring some disposable income.

>Anyone setting sail on any adventures soon? Diving trips? Maritime-camping?
no but the idea is interesting.

>I'm thinking of trying my hand at life-raft survival sometime, videoing it. Starting with just 2 or 3 days and working up from there.
this sounds really cool. It also sounds very intimidating. I do know that the open ocean is one of the hardest environments to survive in.
>>
>>795385
I should clarify. The act of sailing itself doesn't appeal that much to me. It's a personal preference. There's just other things I'd rather do.
But buying a boat and heading off, living on it full time and going to different places, gives you adventure and freedom. The sailing would be a means to an end whereas sailing as its own end - say, as a hobby one does on the weekend - doesn't really do it for me.
>>
I sail because i find it relaxing.The wife and i have been sailing one way or another for almost 20 years now. One of my daughters regularly takes out our boat on weekend trips with her boyfriend and the other daughter is learning fast.

One of the reasons for buying that Bavaria 42 mentioned above is so we can all go out together and still have room for a guest or two. It´s like having a tiny floating apartment that you can take from place to place.

And the backyard is rather big.

I started with 14ft dinghy that my dad built, had a Mirror Offshore by the time i was a teenager and met my wife and now we have a homebuilt FG sloop that is basically a copy of the Albin Vega.

Most sailors that start at an early age remain sailing for life.

It´s not that expensive either, you can get a small trailer sailer for the cost of a used car and just tow it home when you are done, save on slip fees. Most ramps are in public areas and are free to use.
>>
>>790809

Just remember, the only thing better than your own boat is a friend with a boat.
>>
Cold water diver monitoring this thread. Any other dive bros around?
Dove any wrecks? Reefs? Where at?

Southeast Alaska, reporting in.
>>
>>795972
Should also ask, any sea kyakers about?
>>
>>788279
Fucking boomers, I love how all they bitch about too is how money is tight
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.