[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, Have you guys ever used an army surplus store to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: jungle-boots.jpg (44KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
jungle-boots.jpg
44KB, 500x396px
Hey /out/,
Have you guys ever used an army surplus store to prepare for a week or two innawoods? There's one near my house and I was wondering if any of you /out/doorsmen knew if it was mostly garbage or actually a good deal.

Pic related, these are the same kind of jungle boots I got as a kid in boy scouts and they tore my feet up pretty bad
>>
>>787123
Most issued military equipment really isn't that great, especially the older stuff you'll see in surplus stores. It's designed by people who don't have to use it, and produced from the lowest quality material in the most cut-rate way possible. They just need to equip troops with the bare minimum necessary to accomplish their task, so it's often usable, but just not really the best option.

Sometimes there are great pieces of gear that get issued though, like the American woobie or the West German folding shovel.
>>
My recommendation would be to not buy anything made before the 90s other then tools and maybe clothes.
Ergonomics and comfort was not really a big deal in military equipment back then.
>>
>>787123
I use shit from the military all the time while /our/ but that was stuff they put out recently. Those boots in OP pic are garbage. Even the issue boots now aren't that great. My unit bought us s2v boots every year.

The old alice pack is a beast it might be worth buying. The poncho + woobie is great. If they have the goretx shells for cheap i always loved mine, but i had to give that back when i left. The acu/bdu pants are pretty comfy too i left with a boatload of those and wear them innawoods.

For the most part those stores sell old shit or useless shit but there are some nice finds in them if you know what you're looking for.
>>
File: BagBagBagBag.jpg (46KB, 584x410px) Image search: [Google]
BagBagBagBag.jpg
46KB, 584x410px
I wouldn't bother with the store- you can get better deals and better selection of the internet. It's almost never the lightest or highest quality, but it is a good jumping off point. Parts of the modular sleep system IMO aren't half bad especially for the price- the bivy is lighter than many on the market, but lacks a bug net or any kind of structure (some come w/ a pole to keep it off your face) and the lighter sleeping bag is very minimal, but is pretty light even with the massive zipper. Both are about 1/2 - 1/3 the price of (roughly) comparable civilian gear.
>>
I don't know about the rest of you, but my local army navy store is pretty fucking expensive. I went there to look at buying a surplus pack, and they wanted close to $200 for a pack and frame that really wasn't in all that great condition.
You can get good stuff at surplus stores, but a lot of the gear might be heavier, bulkier, and less comfortable than anything you can get as a civilian.
>>
>>791297
Buy online.

Surplus gear really depends on what you need. I use an army ruck and tent, but civvie bag and poncho for example.

Rocky sv2 boots see goat while out though.
>>
>>787123
I'm a big fan of military surplus because I'm poor and can't afford to have equipment break on me.

Really the quality of milsurp varies by item but I'll throw out some decent items (decent by my standards, /out/ generally doesnt like surplus)

>Alice Pack with frame $45
>US or German messkit $20
>Nomex gloves $7
> E Tool $15

Thats about all that is worthwhile in my mind.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.