[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whatsup /out/ My friends and I have planned a trip for the past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Whatsup /out/
My friends and I have planned a trip for the past 3 months to go to Banff, AB and spend 5 days camping there (3 of hiking 2 of arriving and spending time in neighboring towns)

The group (4 of us) has little hiking experience, unfortunately, but we're planning on taking easy day hike trails like Sunshine Meadows or Lake Louise.

Here's my problem: Everyone in the group is 20, but my parents still express concern for this trip. I know that there's lots of cell phone reception, so I could just activate international calling on my phone. We'd be doing really easy hikes with little elevation change. We could also check in with the visitor center to tell them where we are when we leave to go on a hike. I have bought serious cold-weather gear just in case something happens and we get stranded on a hike. I'll keep bear spray with me and we'll be smart enough to stay on the trails and away from bear country. Additionally I am aware that I can check trail warnings before we even head out on the trails for bears/ticks, etc etc.
I just want them to know that I'm competent and that this is a relatively safe trip (until something goes horribly wrong). I am not sure when the next time I'll have this type of opportunity to travel with my friends, but I want my parents to know that I'll be responsible and I want to do as much as I can to show that I am competent.

The reason I'm coming here is that maybe you guys know something that I don't and could be beneficial to this trip or my little hiking experience?
>>
Only advice I can really give to you is, do it and show them. Also get a cheap bear bell. My first solo hike/camping trip was when I was 12. 14 day hiking trip. 8 Days in and I snapped my leg pretty much making me unable to walk. I ended up crawling back and radioing/calling depends on the way you look at it for military helicopter to come out (closest thing to us) They came out in about 2 hours and located me. I didn't get any reception where I was. Just think about what can happen and do everything to prevent it. Where I was stupid for me to go too. Loads of cliffs and ankle breakers. I jumped a ledge and missed and well we know the story. -Trapping for 8 years Hunting for 12 years Camping for 16 years any other questions? Also AB Canada or down in the states?
>>
>>782355
Were driving from michigan to banff in 3 days. Then 5 days in banff, and then a longer roadtrip where wer stop and camp at national parks (yellowstone badlands glacier) for the night before we get up and drove again. 13 days total.

I guess one question i have atm
What are some good resources to brush up on my camping / survival skills? Any books or websites I can look at?
>>
>>782368
I would suggest the SAS Survival Guide by far its the best, check out Far North Bushcraft and Survival's youtube channel. Practice some first aid for the love of god. I saw a guy at a camp site cut his hand with a axe and he ended up bleeding out because he didn't put anything on it. He lived but goddamn.
Skills:
-First Aid
-Fire
-Basic safety
-Foraging/trapping
thats about it to be honest I never have really been in a survival scenario even with a broken leg I didn't really call it that. I crawled/hopped for a day go reception and called in. Even in -45C and me falling in water (-49F) I wouldn't call it a survival scenario. If I may ask are you allowed to carry a firearm with you in these camps and are you legally allowed too? If so I'd suggest one of you guy's having one. Grew up in Bear country, Cougar country and wolves. Trust me wolves are NOT a fucking friendly dog they will tear you a new asshole.
Items I'd suggest getting
-Ferro rod, even on my city walks or town walks depending on the way you look at it (a population of 800 BIG TOWN!! xD) I carry one
-Decent knife/axe
-A book of plants around the area you are going I carry one with me most of the town but its a small pocket book. That I made.
-Bear spray like you said
-Bear bell just for warning the bears
>>
Edit: when I fell in the water I ended up making a fire and camping out. Mother was pissed at me but it was fun. The good ol days of me being a dumbass.
>>
msot of the town yes town. No time fucking dumbass #Bulling myself.
>>
Check out MCQBushcraft's channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbTDXDBHApa_cvcOx86yJOA
>>
>>782351
There is not really that much that you need to learn. The only thing is, don't be a dumb ass.
Mistakes in nature cost you.
Whenever faced with something unexpected make calm rational decisions.
Don't stop yourself from asking others for advise or aid.

Just one thing, make sure you guys are set for water.
>>
File: temple crag view south.jpg (3MB, 5425x1997px) Image search: [Google]
temple crag view south.jpg
3MB, 5425x1997px
parents worry, that's what they do. i'm 35 and have lots of experience and am very safe and my parents still worry about my climbing trips. you're not going to change it. just acknowledge it, promise them you'll be safe, and do what you're gonna do.
>>
File: vfdst-web.jpg (126KB, 500x280px)
vfdst-web.jpg
126KB, 500x280px
Ok update
The only argument they have is that there's no "responsible adult" going with us.

Is there a way to schedule a ranger as a guide for these hikes? I think that might count as a "responsible adult"

I agree with everything and I've tried to reason with them, but at 20 years old I still feel like they're trying to hold me back.
>>
Banff is a cool town of your into the whole tourist trap thing. Canmore is way more chill n only 15 mins east of Banff. Some world class mountain biking and hiking trails are easy enough to find.
>>
>>782926
Even if you can't convince them, just go. Stop over doing and over complicating this. You are an adult act like one.
>>
>>783188
Hint: adults take advice but ultimately make their own decisions.
Dear god this country needs conscription.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.