[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /out/ hates mountain house? If so why? Thinking about buying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: MountainHouseFood.jpg (41KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
MountainHouseFood.jpg
41KB, 620x400px
Does /out/ hates mountain house? If so why? Thinking about buying it for a few days +250km hike instead of knorr pastas like I usually do.

Also food general
>>
mountin' house is good. it's expensive but you pay for the ease and dem cumfies. the food is good.
>>
I don't hate it, but I'm not that excited about it. I keep a few packs around JIC.
>>
>>782041
The only really big problem I have with them is the amount of sodium they have. Its a ton. I would suggest you find some you like the best and take a few, and pack other food for the rest of the time. I like the Chili Macaroni, Beef Stew, and Rice & chicken (which doesnt have a ton of chicken in it lol). I feel that most of them taste better with a little bit of hot sauce or pepper in them.

TL;DR Stick to one a day, with something else for other meals.
>>
>>782043
>it's expensive but you pay for the ease

This

My favs are Beef Stroganoff, Chili Mac, and Breakfast Skillet.

The Breakfast Skillet meal makes awesome breakfast burritos - just fork some into a tortilla, add a little cheese and a pack of Taco Bell sauce - a single serve package makes about four FAT burritos - easy to prepare and they taste great
>>
>>782041
I hate them because they have shilled here before
Otherwise, they and Backpacker's Pantry etc. are fine
It's just really hard to rehydrate that shit at a significant altitude
>>
File: consider.gif (494KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
consider.gif
494KB, 500x374px
>>782041

It's just dehydrated noodles and flavor mix. Literally any "instant" food you prepare by adding boiling water to is a cheaper alternative, just because it doesn't target the backpacking crowd.

This includes instant mashed potatoes, instant mac n cheese, ramen, instant cup of soup (I enjoy black bean soup with lime and pepper) and a wide variety of other stuff.

You can get a lot of these at the dollar store, too. Paying $8 for Mountain House is a ripoff.
>>
Does /out/ have any snack suggestions and ways of planning out snacks. I randomly got very tired and lethargic 25k into my hike 2 weeks ago because I was a retard and didn't bring enough snacks. Heavy rain, mud and wind probably didn't help. I'm going on a trip that's double the distance soon and I'm a bit worried about that happening again.
>>
>>782149

Store bought:
Probars (stay away from the ones with chocolate)
Qia bars
hemp seed or pumpkin seeds (get those little travel size packs.)
beef jerky
dark chocolate (for not hot weather)
ginger chews

Home made:
Peanut butter and honey sandwiches
beef jerky
dried fruit (if you don't have your own dehydrator, get one)

There are lot more, those are just some that I can think of right meow.
>>
>>782149

I like to bring these little foil pouches of Indian food that I get from Trader Joe's and squeeze them it into my mouth while I'm moving. Spices taste amazing when you've been outdoors for a few days.
>>
File: Spam_can[1].png (4MB, 1050x996px) Image search: [Google]
Spam_can[1].png
4MB, 1050x996px
>>782149
>>
>>782153
I think I'm going to try your home-made suggestions thanks.

>>782155
I'm not a fan of any Indian food but you're quite right. Everything tastes amazing after a few days.

>>782156
The day after I had that problem on our way out someone brought this up. I'm not a fan of cans because they take up space in my pack after being used. I have thought about bringing it in plastic bags though.
>>
>>782161
Plastic bags would work as long as you use up the food relatively soon. They have single serves in plastic as well. Otherwise stomp your empty cans flat.
>>
File: IMG_2161.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2161.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
>>782048
Sodium isn't a bad thing if you're sweating. Which, if you're hiking, you probably will be.
>>
Literally better to just bring pop tarts
>>
>>782041
I really enjoy them, but i wouldnt buy them for the MSRP. I normally buy a few when the price is cheaper b/c they are out of date or damagede (or some other reason). They are really tasty, taste like real food and are easy as fuck to use. No cleaning after eating a pack. Would recommend them if you can get them for half the price or something or if you have a lot of money and dont give fuck.

> Really tasty, easy and no cleaning but to expensive
>>
>>782272
no
>>
>>782281
Okay retard, don't conserve space then.
>>
>>782063
Sounds great! Havent tried the burritos trick. I have to!

Another generel great thing to add to those meals are a pack of noodles. More food and noodles are light weight, they just require some spare.
>>
>>782282
this isn't an emergency survival situation anon. skimping on food is only gonna leave you wanting when you're out in the bush. satisfying food and appropriate sleeping stuff is essential to making the most out of any /out/ing
>>
>>782295
Poptarts have a complete daily value of nutrients. Objectively more space conservation = more poptarts.

I don't see how or why you think you would be hungry.
>>
File: k_geeps.png (23KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
k_geeps.png
23KB, 261x195px
>>782303
not hungry anon, wanting
>>
>>782304
Well then I guess you're just a little fat kid.
>>
>>782313
>wants a hot, square meal instead of poptarts
>must be a fatty

https://youtu.be/ZBAijg5Betw
>>
>>782041
>>782278
>I really enjoy them, but i wouldnt buy them for the MSRP.

This. I always pick some up when they're on sale. Everytime rei has a big sale they're 25% off or something. Salt is ok unless you've been eating salty snacks and plan to eat the full 2.5 servings.

Chili mac, lasagna are my favorites.
>>
>>782071
Those knorr and Idahoan meals work, but almost all the stuff you find in the grocery store has hydrogenated oils and preservatives and junk, so for those who don't want that in their diet, freeze dried meals are a better option. They also got a tougher packaging and easier prep. I use both.

And yea, full price is for suckers. Buy it on sale, it has a 12 year guarantee.
>>
>>782303
I went to college, I know what it's like to live off poptarts. Never want to do that again.
Same for instant ramen.
>>
File: 256.png (23KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
256.png
23KB, 489x423px
>>782327
>tfw you lived off poptarts and ramen up UNTIL college
>>
Makeyourgear.com has individual dehydrated ingredients to make your own meals. They even have disposal bags that seal and work as a bowl. Haven't tried it yet but looks promising.
>>
>>782319
But anon, just microwave the pop tarts and you'll have a hot square meal
>>
>>782342
More rectangular than square...
>>
>>782345
>>782342
>>782319
>cant into warming up pop tarts over a fire or in the sun

>>782331
>>782327
Weaklings
>>
>>782481
poptarts are junk food. enough already with the poptarts.
>>
>>782304

>geeps
I find funny how autistic you're m8, always posting that image during conversations lol.
>>
File: geeps_bg.png (14KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_bg.png
14KB, 261x195px
>>782525
you don't know how many conversations i have anon
>>
>>782527
I don't but I see that imaged posted so often and with the same file name that I deducted it is always you. Am I wrong, anon? I'm not against you or something like that, i just find it funny.
>>
>>782537
No it's usually me (but not always). I just have lots of goings-back-and-forth with anons and only post a geeps like 4x a day or something, on a busy day. It's my mfw
>>
>>782048
Thru hikers need more sodium because they sweat, unlike gear queer car camper faggots who hufflefluff from car to camp chair 10 feet away while attached to their dialyses machine
>>
Get a 20 dollar dehydrator from kijiji or Craigslist, make your own dehydrated trails meals - enjoy. They aren't just for making jerky
>>
>>782549
Bushwhackers and mountaineers need more sodium because they sweat, unlike unimaginative thru-hiker normies who stick to their narrow goals so they can brag about their accomplishments later
>>
>>782565
It's the same argument dumbass. It could be true for many outdoor pursuits. What that person is saying is that the salt content is fine for it's intended purpose, and that dummies complain about it because of ignorance.
>>
>>782576
Woosh
>>
>>782484
Poptarts are healthy. Junk food is not. How dumb could you be?
>>
>>782041
Mountain house is good stuff.
the biscuits and gravy breakfast is pretty damn tasty too.
>>
>>782739
puptet no healthy anon
>>
>>782761
Check out the back of the box and correct yourself.
>>
>>782155
I bet that gives you some gnarly shits.
>>
File: a day out.png (41KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
a day out.png
41KB, 700x500px
>>782765
makes every river like the ganges!
>>
I need cheap meals that I can make without heating. Any ideas?
I can always go like tortillas and peanut butter, but thats super boring, especially if Im eating it for days.
>>
>>782915
spam singles, shelf-safe cheese wedges/spread, dehydrated meats (jerky), astronaut ice cream.

for am occasional special treat bring a couple cans of wet (heavy) food - tuna in oil, sardines, etc. same goes with some of those applesauce cups. also salt and pepper for dat tuna.
>>
>>782765

Not really, unless you have the intestinal fortitude of a sickly 5 year old it's pretty easy to eat.
>>
>>782928
Found the fat american
>>
>>782915
Why can't you heat anything?

Make a hobo stove and buy an old pot or kettle at a yard sale. Burn twigs, boil water, make oatmeal.
>>
>>782071
No truer words spoken. This thread is a shill thread for them.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.