[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference from a $10 stove against a 40$ pocket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 41viOm5vC3L._SY400_.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
41viOm5vC3L._SY400_.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
What's the difference from a $10 stove against a 40$ pocket rocket?

From what I can tell your just not paying for the brand name.

Can a msr shill convince me to spend +30$
>>
>>779310
I bought a cheap 7$ one. The electric starter stopped working but a lighter still does the trick.
>>
>>779310
>>779331
Yeah, Ive been using my dirty cheap one for a few years, no complaints.
>>
I have an extremely cheap one. It could pass for a bunsen burner. It works fine/ but the pot stand isn't as sturdy as it could be. Otherwise, it's functional and seems to work fine
>>
>>779310
Energy output and efficiency, depending on fuel consumption.

Etekcity Ultralight ($10 on Amazon)
Output: 6,666 BTU

MSR Pocket Rocket ($40 at REI)
Output: 8,200 BTU

Snowpeak GigaPower ($50 at REI)
Output: 10,000 BTU
>>
No difference, it is an immediate proof that you don't belong in the woods regardless. If you are not building your own fires you should stay at home.
>>
>>779331
I keep hearing this.

Is there anything that can be done to keep the igniters on this shit from breaking?
>>
>>779832
which in practical terms means a difference of 1 minute at most to boil the same amount of water.

>>779838
Don't be mean. When you are mountaineering there's no wood to burn.
>>
>>779843
Who cares. Just keep a couple of lighters on your kit.
>>
>>779843
No, there is a reason it only costs $10.
>>
>>779838
Stay out of the west.
>>
>>779846
they were built for mountaineers. theyve become common kit for everybody for some reason. im sure they are nice camping items, but backpacking items? seems like a comedy
>>
>>779846
Depends a lot on the efficiency of the pot as well. A JetBoil Flash system, for example, only puts out 4500 BTUs but will boil about twice the amount of water with the same amount of fuel as a Pocket Rocket with a smooth pot. The $10 stove puts out 6,666 BTUs but will use about as much fuel as the Pocket Rocket to boil the same amount of water, this is because the burner isn't burning all the fuel that goes into it. It's also the reason that it gets so dirty. Depending on how long the stove lasts and how much you pay for fuel eventually the $10 stove will wind up costing more than the $40 stove through added fuel costs.
>>
>>779855
>theyve become common kit for everybody for some reason
LNT has a lot to do with it, and in a lot of places campfires aren't practical or desirable.
>>
>>779310
>MSR:
Simple design. Better performance in wind.
>POS:
Got what you paid for.
>>
>>779855
>they were built for mountaineers
And that's why I said that in the first place. I use a remote canister stove tho, and alcohol stove when inna.

>>779871
>LNT
Maybe, but they are very practical, as well as fast and burn clean so you don't end up with black pots, which detonates a lot of people's OCD's

For someone that is starting to go /out/ and is not quite sure yet if he is going to keep at it, it's the only answer. They will always be handy at home,by the bbq, in your car, at hotels, etc.
>>
>>779855
It's against the law to start a fire at the national park closest to me.
>>
>>779887
This happens in a lot of parks around the world. I have mixed feelings about it because I'm a responsible adult and can manage a fire properly. But then again, there's a lot of idiots that don't, and that cause forest fires.
>>
>>779884
I think you might have misread that LNT post.
>>
>>779310
had one for 6 years right up until i went jetboil

in all fairness they are fucking amazing things for the money, i keep mine at home as a spare stove now
>>
>>779928
How so? leaving no trace might have had to do with them being popular, but also because people can't oe don't want to make a fire, and these stoves are a cheap alternative.
>>
>>779950
Yeah, that's pretty much what was said. Props to agreement, though.
>>
File: 20151218_193437.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151218_193437.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I have exactly pic related. It works fine.

The pot holder legs stick a little and it's not all that stable, but it gets the jobs done.

I'll get a jet boil some day, until then, etekcity it is.
>>
>>779982
>I'll get a jet boil some day
No. Get a windscreen tho.
>>
>>779838
No groundfires in some areas, just want to follow the rules m8
>>
>>779838
stop talking shit please. Not all of us are bushcrafters, also ground fires are not allowed everywhere.
>>
>>779850
so the ignition on the 40-50 dollar ones hold up?
>>
>>779982
I have it too and also use with that Stanley pot. It looks super unstable but actually works really well. I'm not sure how well it would work with a larger diameter pot though.
>>
>>779838
"This guy isnt exactly like me so he is wrong"

Classic /out/
>>
>>779838
Kek-a-fuckin-rino.
>poorfag get the fuck /out/

Also, I'm sure you leave your fire pits looking like shit and I bet you burn your trash too, you fucking scum. Leave no trace you piece of shit, communist-loving, gremlin-face, pants-on-head retarded, nigger loving, cock monger.
>>
>>779855
>>779855
>theyve become common kit for everybody for some reason. im sure they are nice camping items, but backpacking items? seems like a comedy

Not when there is a fire ban in the area and you dipshit only are allowed to use controlled flames like a stove.
>>
>>780487
Yes. If it doesn't, you can usually warranty it and get a new one.
>>
>>779310
I have that, use it to boil water for coffee when im /out/. No point in building a fire for small stuff when you can just use one of these.
>>
>>779310
I have a 12 dollar primus. It's heavier than the pocket rocket, doesn't pack as small, but not big enough of a difference to complain about for me.
>>
>>779948
Jetboil stoves are fine. The heat transfer between the burner and the pot is efficient enough that they can get away with putting out half the BTUs of a Pocket Rocket while boiling the same amount of water. You'll save a bunch on fuel and end up carrying less stuff.
>>
I got an MSR pocket rocket because I had a gift card for gander mountain and couldn't find anything else I wanted or needed. It works okay but I don't have anything to compare it to. All I use it for is boiling water for dehydrated foods or for making a hot beverage. I might get a jetboil one day for the fuel efficiency. It pains me how much heat is lost with the pocket rocket, especially in the wind.
>>
File: Windburner_4.jpg (75KB, 850x450px) Image search: [Google]
Windburner_4.jpg
75KB, 850x450px
>>782668
>>
>>779902
I don't care how responsible you are, an errant ember could ruin a lot of people's day. You can't control the wind and the dryness of your surroundings.

>>779982
> not clearing those leaves away
Come on nigger, really?
>>
>>782663
Hmm, think I meant to reply to >>779982
>>
I use a pocket rocket, I have never used the super cheap ones that look very similar.

I have no complaints about the pocket rocket.
>>
>>783130
It was actually really wet on the ground. Had rained a bunch earlier in the day. Usually if it's dry I'll clear a small area for the stove. I also don't leave it unattended (since it's not very stable), so it's not really an issue.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.