[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>A lost hiker in Maine starved to death after waiting for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 35

>A lost hiker in Maine starved to death after waiting for rescue and then accepting her fate, heartbreaking journal entries have revealed.

>Geraldine Largay, a 66-year-old from Tennessee, disappeared while hiking the Appalachian Trail in Maine on July 22, 2013, and the newly disclosed journal shows that she survived for at least 26 days, the Portland Press Herald reports.

>"When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry," she wrote in an Aug. 6 journal entry. "It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me — no matter how many years from now." The final entry was dated Aug. 18. Her skeletal remains were discovered in a tent 3,000 feet from the trail more than two years later.

>Largay, who was trying to complete a "bucket list" hike from West Virginia to the trail's end solo after a friend left for a family emergency, was reported missing by her husband after she failed to make it to a rendezvous point. A huge search and rescue effort followed, but it was suspended after a week.

>According to a 1,579-page Maine Warden Service report, Largay became lost after leaving the trail to go to the bathroom, the Boston Globe reports. She tried to text her husband at least a dozen times, but she was unable to get a signal even after moving to higher ground.

>She then set up a campsite on a knoll, where authorities found a handmade flag and evidence she had tried to start a signal fire.

As someone who got to read her journal I can tell you that despair can be tangible.
>>
>>778059
>As someone who got to read her journal
Care to share a link?
>>
>>778059
Fucking link us you massive faggot
>>
>>778059
So some hippy lady gets lost while trying to remove dingle berries from her hairy essential oil smelling asshole and I'm supposed to care?

>nope
>>
>>778059
>Largay, who was trying to complete a "bucket list"
ha ha. oh, the ironing
>>
>>778087
this

hippie bit off more than she could chew
>>
>>778059
I'm just not sure how you'd get that turned around. I mean you know which side of the trail you got off of? and you know which side of the world the sun comes up on? Shouldn't a person know where they left their trail? Even if you did get totally lost, why not walk spirals out from where you are, you're bound to notice the big fucking trail when you run into it?

this whole thing is just weird to me. I can understand getting injured and starving to death, but lost a couple miles from your trail? Holy shit. Walk the fuck out of there.
>>
>>778095
>3,000 feet from the trail
Not even close to a couple miles.

But goddamn, how long was this journal? How long was she lost? Would it really that difficult to walk a little in each direction and look for a fuckhueg trail?

>tfw women in charge of directions
Now I understand. Shoulda brought the TomTom.
>>
File: but_why.png (20KB, 91x280px) Image search: [Google]
but_why.png
20KB, 91x280px
>>778059
>found 3000 feet from the trail

How fucktarded was she, exactly?
>>
>>778062
pics pls
>>
>dies within earshot of the trail
amazing
>>
>>778059
ur a cunt op share the link or fuck off
>>
>>778121
3/5s of a mile of forest isn't earshot to a trail (even a busy one like the at), but that still sucks.

i live in the woods 30 minutes from san jose, and they're completely woven with roads, and still every year people (read: stupid flatland fucktards) have to be rescued. often find them literally 700' from a road (which IS earshot to traffic).

i'm perpetually amazed at how useless people are. i know inexperienced people are hammered to wait for rescue, but 26 days? until you literally starve to death?! eventually you have to take the initiative and move.
>>
They say she was depressed and of her meds. Probably gave up. Suicide imo
>>
She communicated regularly with her husband via cell phone where signal permitted.
Other hikers had seen her the morning she was supposed to meet her husband for supplies.

In other words, they knew her starting point that morning, her destination for the day, a reasonable idea of how fast she could move, and that she had a cell phone.

It seems like flying a grid with a stingray could have gotten results pretty quickly if they started before her battery ran out.
>>
>>778140
>3/5s of a mile of forest isn't earshot to a trail (even a busy one like the at)
with a whistle it is

if you don't have a whistle and can't wolf whistle you can make one from certain leaves or grasses between your thumbs. SOS like a motherfucker.

how does anyone end up on a trail without knowing this?
>>
>>778159
>started before her batter ran out
How do expect her to take selfies for the grandkids or play candy crush?
>>
Can we please just be thankful that an inferior human is no longer with us
>>
>>778059
>Also in the report - testimony from friends and family including Largay's husband George, and Jane Lee - her best friend who was initially supposed to hike with Largay, but was called away for a family emergency.

>Lee told wardens that Largay had a poor sense of direction, and she wasn't sure she even knew how to use a compass.

>Lee also told wardens that Largay would never go more than 100 feet off the trail to use the bathroom.

>George admitted to wardens his wife had gotten turned around on the trail more than once.

so they let some geriatric woman with mild dementia go innawoods all by herself and are surprised by the result?
>>
>>778059
It's the Appalachians, not the Yukon. If you keep walking in any direction you'll find a trailer or something in a couple of days no matter what.
>>
>>778167
Naw they just need to play it cool. Probably got tired of her so they let her go, dying doing something she liked to do. Sort of a nice little send off. Despite the starvation.
>>
>>778062
Why?
>>
>Appalachians
>LITERALLY FUCKING HILLS
>>
>>778171
>>778180
apparently the trail through Maine is particularly treacherous.

>>778172
so this is like modern day ubasute, except you don't have to carry your elderly to their final resting place. I like it.

>Lee, Largay’s friend who had hiked the trail with her until they reached Maine, told investigators that on several occasions Largay had become lost or had fallen behind, and Lee had to backtrack to find her. It wasn’t clear if Largay was taking prescribed anti-anxiety medication at the time.

>The report also said that Largay had a poor sense of direction, would become easily flustered, was scared of the dark and scared of being alone.
>>
All of you making fun out of this are fucking disgusting. Most of you have never even touched snow you bunch of fat merrel wearing fat fucks
>>
File: 61SsqJj6iiL._SL1200_.jpg (123KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61SsqJj6iiL._SL1200_.jpg
123KB, 1200x1200px
>being that terrible at hiking and not bothering to carry a radio
>>
>>778191
>all this bait and I only have one mouth
it's snowing at my house as we speak. And I just spent all day out playing in it.

I'm not going to make fun of the woman. Her death is pathetic though. Like dying of dehydration ten feet from a water fountain.
>>
>>778191
I know right? Wish I could downvote this thread too!! >:(
>>
>>778098
26 fucking days. She was alive for 26 days after she got lost.

Although I feel terrible for her and her family, and can't imagine a more lonely and psychologically torturous way to die, I can't for the life of me figure it out either.

My guess is that her age/health had to play a role. I'd like to think that if I were lost in the woods and had 26 days worth of supplies on me, I could find my way out.

The craziest part is her close proximity to the trail and search parties.

Another one for Paulides I guess.
>>
>>778214
>>778191
Nobody so far seems to think this is funny. It's stupid, needless, and completely avoidable.

Stories like these need to be shared so that idiots with bright ideas hopefully don't make the same mistakes.

There is a lot to be said for knowing ones own limits. I can't believe that her friend just left her out there knowing full well that she was clearly unprepared to continue solo.

This is a tragedy, but a tragedy that she brought upon herself.
>>
>>778059
Real talk, it is super easy to touch the wrong plant, trip balls a little bit and get super fucking lost. Like touch angle bells flowers and you will be howling at the moon and fighting the cops that come get you.
>>
>>778214
summer troll plz leave for good
>>
>>778218
>My guess is that her age/health had to play a role
that was my thought as well.
stroke or dementia can mess a person up.

it would really suck being confused and alone in the woods. Heartbreaking really.
>>
File: 1460765117798.jpg (270KB, 1500x1841px) Image search: [Google]
1460765117798.jpg
270KB, 1500x1841px
>>778222
>the person calling attention to the fact that you're on fucking 4chins is the troll
>>
>>778221
You spot someone that has never been out just like that. They don't know how things add up. A little rain gets your tent wet, you keep going up, and pitch it, the little moist turns into ice and you wake up freezing. Suddenly you realize you werent prepared for sub zero. You start heating up more water than you planned to, and soon enough you are out of fuel. So on. As I said, you spot someone that has never been out just by little things. And this board is packed with them.

The same goes for the eternal monoscenario type. The ones that only know one thing and one season. And they dare to give advice to nufags. baka
>>
>>778224
And I know you are new to this board just because of that. Back to your containment board tard. No fun for you here. We don't get dead people threads this often.
>>
>>778223
>it would really suck being confused and alone in the woods. Heartbreaking really.

Right? I was lost in Payless drug store for about 10 minutes when I was 5. I was terrified.

As an adult I imagine initial panic, then realizing that I've gotta get my shit together if I want to be anything but useless. I talk myself down to a healthy amount of concern. But all the jerky is gone, you can't find water, and you realize you are terminally fucked. And to top it off you are completely alone, knowing that your family is off somewhere freaking out and that they may never know what happened to you. It's hard to imagine much worse.

Plus she probably spent the whole time thinking none of this would have happened if she wasn't so shy and unwilling to shit closer to the trail.

That's a whole lot of guilt, despair, loneliness, and regret to be carrying in your final hours.

I'll tell you one thing, if my mother or grandmother was out there it would take a lot to keep me off the trail until I found her.
>>
File: 1464289504928.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1464289504928.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>778224
>>
>>778229
>if my mother or grandmother was out there it would take a lot to keep me off the trail until I found her.
this

I'd be hunting her like she was buried treasure.
>>
>>778225
You guys have way too much of an incrowd mentally on this board man, it's like the no true Scotts man fallacy. You guys in to be training new friends, and providing guidance not just be creepy little elitists.
>>
>>778237
board topics produce board experts.
and what's the fun of being an expert if you can't talk down to the plebs?

the nice ones trip so you can filter them.
>>
>>778226
nah, you fuck off. this isn't a special fairy board just for you, faggot.

>>778235
good idea, hope you follow through!
>>
>>778095
>Walk the fuck out of there.

lol expecting women to do work, even if their life is at risk.
>>
>>778263
she walked a hell of a long ways to get there.
>>
>>778184
>apparently the trail through Maine is particularly treacherous.

it was a beginners trail and the media has done everything in their power not to point out how fucking incompetent the dumb bitch was.
>>
>>778266
she got lost on land the Navy uses for SEAR training, it probably isn't beginner wilderness even if the trail is babby tier.
>>
>>778267
>SERE
>>
>>778267
The tougher varieties of SERE would be hard in pretty much any environment on Earth. Remember that people have died of hypothermia in fucking Florida during supervised events like Ranger School.
>>
>>778271
true, but my thinking is the wilderness itself probably is densely overgrown without clear lines of sight. Probably lots of water but perhaps no dry fuel and not a lot to eat. Monotonous country that would be easy to hide in. Or get lost in.
>>
>>778218

Paulides mentioned this case in a speak he did. According to him, they found her on land owned by the military. If I remember correctly.

God damn women are stupid.
>>
File: where she died.jpg (277KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
where she died.jpg
277KB, 1024x768px
>>778273
>the wilderness itself probably is densely overgrown without clear lines of sight.
I suppose /out/ can be the judge.

this is where she died.
>>
File: 1453263300484.png (126KB, 1346x1754px) Image search: [Google]
1453263300484.png
126KB, 1346x1754px
>>778059
>>778059
>>As someone who got to read her journal I can tell you that despair can be tangible.
Yes normies love to claim that they are not afraid and that they do not care about death. '' I do not care about having a cancer, I am 30 yo, live young die fast.''
Of course, when serious illness arrives, they lose their shit and and pray to doctors to take their cases.
hedonists will do anything to remain hedonistic as long as they can, bragging around. until they die full of misery.
>>
>>778280
O
>>
File: 1436446931952.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1436446931952.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
>>778281
>>
I think the hard part about this is there's no lesson to be learned.

this isn't Chris McCandless with his numerous blunders and seeming hubris.

this is just a slightly elderly and perhaps ditzy woman out of her element dying for no real good reason. No moral lesson, no cautionary tale. Just a woman that wanted to be out and went predictably wrong.

Don't abandon your partner? But you have to trust a reasonable adult to care for themselves...

She needed help. Not much help, but even that little bit wasn't there. I dunno. I suspect anyone could end like this if they have an adventurous spirit and family that trusts them perhaps more than they should.

Carry a radio? Carry flares? Captain Hindsight is great, but who here does that? She did everything right and died anyways. Maybe she should've ignored the rules? Perhaps her fatal error was depending too much on others? For whatever reasons help didn't come in time. I don't know what to take from this. Nothing I guess. A senseless tragedy like a child in the wilderness. It's sad, nothing more or less.
>>
>>778062

yeah, i like sneaking by their tent and night and making very loud demonic noises
or sometimes i will quietly whisper a chant
and progressively make it louder at a very slow rate
>>
>>778286
>getting shot
>>
>>778059
She sent her husband some text's, that he never got, made a camp 3000 feet from the trail and sat and waited for a rescue that never came and died

How did this woman function in the world long enough to become 66

Jesus Christ

She sat and waited, 3000 feet from the trail

Perhaps she was hoping that God would provide

How can you live to be 60+ and not know NSEW

And her husband let ms senile head out on the trail, perhaps he was hoping that the good Lord would deliver him from his burden
>>
File: 1415348173408.png (16KB, 174x231px) Image search: [Google]
1415348173408.png
16KB, 174x231px
>>778285
I think the lesson here is not to let children go off on her own

This 66 year old woman was obviously stuck at 7 years old directions-wise. Family should have known better than to let her go off on her own. They've had tons of experiences with her getting lost before

Just look at all this

>on several occasions Largay had become lost or had fallen behind, and Lee had to backtrack to find her
>It wasn’t clear if Largay was taking prescribed anti-anxiety medication at the time
>poor sense of direction, would become easily flustered, was scared of the dark and scared of being alone

They must have wanted her dead because this is NOT a person who should be going on solo backpacking trips
>>
>>778309
yeah, I get that. But I have an ex-mother in law that's the same.

ditzy as hell but she hikes all over the place. It's hard to know when to tell someone "no." Especially an adult that's made good enough decisions so far.

there comes a point where people can't be trusted on their own, but it's a bitch deciding when that is.
>>
>>778285
> She did everything right
LOL wut?
>>
>>778285
The main takeaway should be that trails, especially singletrack, can be very difficult to see if you walk off them at a 90 degree angle and get turned around.

>Carry a radio? Carry flares? Captain Hindsight is great

Surely you jest. A two dollar keychain compass would've kept her out of the grave by itself had she a clue how to use it. So would've dead reckoning for that matter.
>>
>>778335
mostly was thinking she stayed in place and waited for rescue.

obviously she did something right to make it most of a month though. I wouldn't give most of /out/ more than a week before they died.
>>
>>778338
>A two dollar keychain compass would've kept her out of the grave by itself had she a clue how to use it. So would've dead reckoning for that matter.
that's what I mean.
a compass is entirely useless to someone that can't even figure out where the sun rises and sets....
>>
>>778087
Don't cut yourself on that edge
>>
I dropped my knee on a piece of glass a couple days ago and ended up in the emergency room. I'm an EMT and I can usually treat it, but I hit a major vein. I had to go to the ER. I was humiliated and but I couldn't stop the bleeding. I'm still hobbling around for the next nine days.

If she had done that. She was dead.
>>
>>778369
i did the same once playing airsoft it did not break flesh but damn it hurt like a thousand legos.
>>
>>778100
66 year old woman.
case closed
>>
>>778331
Get that lady a radio and shove a LoJack up her ass.
>>
>>778167
>some geriatric woman with mild dementia go innawoods
and this answers all of our questions about how this could have happened. when i first heard about this i assumed it was a younger woman. but with her age and history a poor sense of direction. none of this is surprising.
>>
Another hind sight here. If she had a bad sense of direction and she knew she did, why not use some meme rope when walking off trail? Tie it to a tree just off trail, unspool as you walk, go to the bathroom when you get to then end, then walk safely back to the trail, collecting your rope as you go.
>>
>>778279
>can think of worse places...
>>
Well as for lessons to get out of this I'll start by brushing off my rusty navigation skills.
>>
>>778164
Exactly. She'd be too busy making pancakes.
>>
>>778339
This.
>>
Surely after a week or two had passed you'd think they would have called off the search, and you should probably go looking for help
>>
Why do we have to have 2 threads about this ancient dead and rotten cum dumpster
>>
>>778496
Because the faggot that started the first one didn't use a subject and just pasted the link before he even wrote what his thread was about, so you look at the catalog and just see a random link with a stupid pic.
>>
>>778285
>Carry a radio? Carry flares? Captain Hindsight is great, but who here does that?
I always have a PLB and strobe on me when I'm anywhere innawoods. Too many close calls in my "youth" that I was fucking lucky to walk away from to risk it anymore.
>>
>>778517
I tend to carry a flare with a smoke built in. Just because I was riding my bike alone on a 28km trial to go to my camping spot. Ended up breaking my leg and my ankle. Had to call in 911 and they brought a fucking helicopter, that was a cool day.
>>
>>778411
>some geriatric woman with mild dementia go innawoods
why don't people like this carry gps locators exactly?
>>
>>778572
Lots of people don't appreciate how rapidly things can go downhill. Same kind of people who don't carry a jacket in the mountains because it feels warm in the daytime, then they're out longer than they planned and are in trouble as soon as the sun goes down.
>>
>>778578
I remember hearing a story a couple years ago about a kid and his girlfriend who went camping in the desert in Arizona and froze to death because they didn't realize it got cold at night.
>>
>>778625
Thank God nature has a way of getting rid of idiots
>>
>>778572
i could only guess its because of the same mental/psychological flaws that predisposed her to all the decisions and actions immediately leading up to, and causing her, to become lost and eventually dying.
>>
>>778059

>suck at survival

>suck at peeing

>suck at age

>be ded

Wew lad no surprises there
>>
>>778653
what sharpening system are you using to become so edgy?
>>
>>778339
but she didn't stay in place, she would've been much closer than 3,000 ft from the trail if she had stayed put when she realized she was lost
>>
If you dont know where you are just walk in a straight line. There is not a single straight line you can draw in the continental united states that goes for more than 25 miles without a road. Not a single one.
>>
>>778693
is this legit? do people do actually do this when they get lost and does it work out for them?
>>
>>778703
I do it when I get lost off a trail. It has never failed me. Think about it. Walk in a circle or a straight line, which will get you to a road faster?
>>
>>778704
>which will get you to a road faster?
it depends if the nearest road is ahead of you or behind you.
>>
>>778709
Almost every patch of land in America intersects a road within 5 miles. All of them within 25 miles. Walk straight. A circle cannot give you this probability. With a circle you have a very minor chance of easier success. You will either walk 100 yards and find a road or if you fail with your circle method you will walk indefinately.
>>
>>778714
personally if I suspected my trail was within a mile or two and didn't know the direction I'd go with circles.

but you're right, she wasn't more than 25 miles from a road in any direction.
>>
>>778728
Well that is the idea. 100 yards or 5 miles. It is your risk to take. One has a 100% chance of survival and the other doesn't.
>>
>>778729
I know places where you can go a lot more than 25 miles without a road. Primitive areas.

she wasn't in one though.

but I think why they don't usually hand out your advice is because it's very difficult to walk a straight line through heavily forested wilderness over that distance.

I've always told my kids to head downhill. It's pretty easy to go downhill, and you'll inevitably find water and eventually a road.
>>
>>778693
This. Unless you're in the wilds of Alaska or something, any other way of getting out of the wilderness is just a shortcut. Walking for a couple of days will do it anywhere in the lower 48.
>>
>>778734
You are actually wrong. Not even in the Rocky mountains. Not even Montana. 99.9% you will find a road within 15 miles. 25 miles is for the exceptions you attempt to reference. Go ahead, go to google Earth and try to find an example.
>>
>>778059
This is just like my mother.

She's turning 62 this year, and she goes hiking and camping regularly. I dont like camping with her and her pretentious gooks/spic/nig friends she takes for cultural enrichment. If i dont go with her, i suspect something like this will happen.

What's even worse is that because i'm usually the only white male, i have to do all parenting for the niglets. I'll show my mother this story and hopefully she stops going on hikes and camping.

The sort of naiveté that makes women do stupid shit like this is the same reason I'm half Armenian. Women having responsibility, even for their own well being, is futile for anyone who wishes them well.
>>
>>778739
>You are actually wrong.
High Uintas Primitive area is 60 miles wide meaning you could conceivably walk 60 miles without seeing a road if you are particularly unlucky.

You'd have a hell of a time trying to walk a straight line there anyways. I doubt it could be done.
>>
>>778741
Get some therapy before you start killing women that remind you of your mother
>>
>>778743
The Uintas are littered with logging roads.
>>
File: NOTANARGUMENT.png (273KB, 558x520px) Image search: [Google]
NOTANARGUMENT.png
273KB, 558x520px
>>778747
>>
>>778140
Portola?
>>
>>778693
>>778714
You forget that a road does not equal rescue.
>>
>>778758
It does. Heliocopters, dogs, forest service, etc use these roads to access deeper parts of the forest. If you happen to lie on a road for two weeks and die then, well, there is an extremely large possibility that
1) They will train for this for the next lost hiker
2) You were not long for this Earth
>>
>>778758
Roads are generally used for travel by people who can help you, and even if they're unused they offer easy and rapid travel to a road that is used.
>>
>>778763
Yea, and the government doesn't even have to make them. Private companies and unions can sponsor road paving crews, and toll roads can have competing prices and such. Really makes you think, huh?
>>
>>778771
Makes me think that the world is over populated pretty severly and that people without a sense of urgency shouldn't overstay their welcome on Earth.

Libertarianism is the only ideology that fixes the issue of overpopulation. Those that claim it doesn't work are simply unsuited for an environment where they must take care of themselves, which, is as I'm sure you know... REALITY.
>>
File: uy57v5o1_400.jpg (20KB, 262x312px) Image search: [Google]
uy57v5o1_400.jpg
20KB, 262x312px
>>778741
>armenian father
>white male
Get therapy m8, you sound creepy af
>>
>>778771
What are you even getting at? Are you meme'ing? Are you genuinely upset at the suggestion that someone take proactive action to rescue themselves?
>>
>>778787
He is trying to say we should rely on the Government for our own safety. He has brain AIDS.
>>
>>778784
>>778747
same non argument
at least use different memes if you're going to shamelessly samefag.
>>
>>778797
We are literally different people. I dont know why the truml poster told you to get therapy. I told you to because you are clearly in a socially dysfunctional family and angry about it.
>>
>>778803
>literally
doubt it
stop projecting
>>
>>778751
>Primitive area
>>
>>778806
You depict yourself as a white man but you are half armenian. I'm not judging your heritage or race or whatever, but you are obviously deluded and disconnected from reality. You choose your white half to describe your whole self.

Then there's your obvious anger issues with your mother and then this jewel:
>The sort of naiveté that makes women do stupid shit like this is the same reason I'm half Armenian. Women having responsibility, even for their own well being, is futile for anyone who wishes them well.
Again, is obvious that you project your mother issues to the whole genre. Simple as that. And I'm not even saying that you should be heterosexual; but if you can't have a healthy and respectfull relation with women, you need therapy anon, and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>778860
Armenians are white. Not only via skin color, Hitler said Armenians are Aryan and had an Armenian battalion in the Axis.

It's not projecting if it's true. Women are fervent, nothing you say will change that.

Telling me to get reeducated doesn't make your point valid.
>>
>>778285
I usually have a radio with GPS and other fancy locating shit on it, and a compass.
>>
>>778868
armenians are just a weird bunch of jews
>>
>>778806
You cant say projecting for anything you dislike you tard
>>778828
That doesnt imply anything
>>
>>778860
>>778875
>>778776
>>778771
This is the /out/ board of 4chan, this is where we talk about the great outdoors and such, please be sure to take this discussion to the /pol/ board where it belongs. /pol/ is a magical place where kids off of school can go and talk about their very important feelings on a variety of super important topics amount mature well educated adults who will be supportive about your new found inquiries into multicultural communication. But here on /out/ I'm afraid we just like to do boring stuff like make camp fires and tell spooky storues, not too spooky mind you. That's /X/ which I am afraid is a tale for another day my new found friends.
>>
If you get lost and its an emergency, START A FOREST FIRE.

Helicopters will be on their way if you decide to do it and you will be saved. Human life is worth alot!
>>
>>778889
>he thinks self sufficiency isnt /out/ related

Hey guys I found a car camper
>>
>>778891
>implying a civilian is qualified in started a proper backfire

This will end so badly for a person untrained enough to be lost in the woods
>>
>>778889
/pol/ is boring and totally inbred
also it's hard to be a proper nazi in a sea of nazis
it's like trying to troll /b/
>>
>>778166

You wil nextl be reminded that you wrote this when it is decided what happens to your soul.
>>
>>778229
>>778236

Good men. Let's make this a reason to keep an eye and ear out for any elders who may be in similar distress whenever we're out hiking, camping or whatever.
>>
>>778912
>>778236

It seriously looks like the husband didn't care that much about her, or the friend that was with her for that matter. Don't know man, the whole thing just does not add up.
>>
>>778898
Is hard to be a Nazi when you are 10 huh buddy? Well you know sometimes growing up means learning how to stop playing make believe.
>>
>>778923
Yeah like, didn't people go looking for her or anything? I feel like a dog would have sniffed her out
>>
File: SetOnFire_3250.jpg (11KB, 228x329px) Image search: [Google]
SetOnFire_3250.jpg
11KB, 228x329px
>>778891
>>778894
>>
>>778059
>Get lost probably 100 ft into woods
>Wander a bit, set up camp, and slowly starve to death

why was she even /out/
>>
>>778881
>That doesnt imply anything
it implies no roads.

not only does it imply no roads, it guarantees it.
>>
>>778992
No, it doesn't imply or guarantee that at all. You can penetrate all the way across the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama on a pretty decent road. It's just that the road is limited to horses unless there's an emergency.
>>
>>778998
>the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama
notice how that's not in the High Uintas Primitive Area.
>>
>>778659
>stating the honest truth is being edgy
better run back to your safe space
>>
File: fuck.jpg (74KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
74KB, 620x372px
>>778167
>and she wasn't sure she even knew how to use a compass.
holy fucking shit
>>
>women going outside for any reason other than grocery shopping
hahahaha
>>
>hiking 3000 fucking feet away from the trail in one direction just to take a dump.
>>
>>778889
>muh people must not like what I do not like, people must listen to me, listen to me RRREEEEE , respect my authority !!1, I am a shark, REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>778572

I think there's a general perception amongst non /out/ers that hiking trails aren't dangerous. "How hard can it be? You're just walking around." type thing. Plus it's the AT, hundreds of people do it every year. I don't think they understand that you're only ever about 4 steps from death when you're out there, and that a few small problems can snowball quickly into you being fucked.
>>
>>778220
>>778184

Yeah this is what gets me. She knew that she was barely on the trail with someone there to guide her, and yet didn't take the time to suggest that maybe she shouldn't do it alone.
>>
>>778237

There's so much shitposting though that the elitists are actually useful for being the only ones to give actual advice
>>
>>778279

Looks quite pleasant
>>
>>778517

Tell us some of the stories plz
>>
>>778285
>Captain Hindsight is great, but who here does that?

You're a bit stupid if you don't have at least something. I'd have to think that most people on this board would.

Personally I take a topo, compass, phone, button compass, whistle, signalling mirror, PLB (depending on where I'm going) plus some basic day and night navigation techniques.

She did a lot of things wrong which started with her leaving the house without any navigation / rescue equipment.
>>
>>778331

I'd say that if someone constantly gets lost and turned around on a clearly marked trail when she has a hiking buddy with her, gets easily flustered and is afraid of the dark, it's pretty clear that it's time to say "no".
>>
>>778959

>set the trees on fire instead
>>
File: neal.jpg (32KB, 564x435px) Image search: [Google]
neal.jpg
32KB, 564x435px
>>778908
>>
File: 1462242269603.gif (2MB, 400x367px) Image search: [Google]
1462242269603.gif
2MB, 400x367px
>>778059
>searching on the App trail
>but it was suspended after a week.
>a week.
>one fucking week

What a monumental failure or pure idiocy and complete disparity of character. What were these people doing to search? Just drive up to the trail head and yell then go home?

Let me ask you /out/, how long would you search for your wife? How would you search for your wife? How much money would you spend?

>sorry Dear, I stopped searching after only a week, new season of Game of Thrones started after all.
>>
>>779333
it's because 99% of stranded hikers are found within 48h. from their perspective, a search coming up empty-handed was suggestive that her presence in the area was statistically very unlikely. with limited resources there are only so many times you can comb a place over before moving on and extending the search to follow other leads.

I agree with your second point though, it seems like everyone around her was just tired of her shit and thought this was a fitting end for her. on the other hand we are younger and therefore more able, so it's easy for us to suggest we'd personally comb the area and live innawoods for months on end looking for them long after a meticulous search failed.
>>
>>778140
This is what i thought when my brother told me. I was like why the hell would you make camp and wait it out? If you stay surely your going to die.

Makes me think the lady wanted to commit suicide.
>>
Mustve strained something or hurt somewhere else really bad to the point she couldnt walk. It's a 66 year old woman afterall, old people are britle as fuck.
>>
>>779348
>meticulous search

Hardly.
>>
File: hippy scout.jpg (65KB, 606x895px) Image search: [Google]
hippy scout.jpg
65KB, 606x895px
>>778059
1) How far off the trail did she go to take a shit?
2)How the fuck did you get lost on the way back from taking a shit
3) You're all alone, why the hell didn't she bring a map or a GPS?

>>778184
>The report also said that Largay had a poor sense of direction, would become easily flustered, was scared of the dark and scared of being alone.
Same thing with my dad. He can drive cross country without looking at a map but he gets lost when there's a couple trees around him. There's been a couple times where I get turned around because he second guesses me for hours. Eventually I have to tell him to shut up.
>tfw I bought him a GPS that he never uses
>>
>>780147
>tfw I bought him a GPS that he never uses
same story with her. she left her GPS at a motel, probably never used it either (or didn't know how to use it)
>>
>>778285
Everyone I know who is an outdoor enthusiast/ worker carries a PLB. You can even pick them up for free on loan from the local police station.
>>
>>780210
And no one I know does.

what would you say the average is? Is most of the world like your little experience of it or more like mine?

The woman did have gps and a beacon though, she just needed to find cell service to use it.
>>
>>780232
You don't need cell service to use GPS or PLBs

GPS comes from satellites so unless you're in an underground bunker or on some god-forsaken corner of the earth you'll be able to get it
>>
>>779245
She didn't know how to use a compass in the first place, so it wouldn't have done her much good.
>>
>>780242
yes, I'm just saying she was probably counting on her cell phone to save her, a bet that would probably have paid off if she climbed any hill taller than the one she died on.

Not sure why she didn't go looking for cell service, maybe she thought her texts were going through or something. Or maybe she honestly expected to be rescued. I don't know. Whatever she was counting on didn't happen.
>>
>>780253
Yeah she probably thought her best bet was to stay put and get found like she did before

Too bad it didn't happen when it needed to most
>>
>>780242
with cell service gps in phones locates you faster that's all.
some fuckers claim certain phones gps won't even work without cell bars but i find that highly suspect.
>>
>>780246

How hard is it to learn, even for a 66 y.o.? She shouldn't have been out there in the first place.
>>
Stupid thing is had she walked in one south direction, 1 mile a day, she'd have crossed one of several roads. She probably didn't even know how to tell cardinal directions from sunrise/sunset let alone anything else.

I've never once taken any electronics, maps, or compasses with me on any trip regardless of length or duration. I always know where I am and what direction north is. Then again, I've been hiking since before there was satellite technology to use as a crutch.

Anyone who is unable to simply retrace their steps shouldn't be out in the wilderness in the first place.
>>
Maybe this was an insurance scam? If she just killed herself in a conventional way the insurance company wouldn't have to pay up.
>>
>>780386
C O N N I V I N G
O N N I V I N G
N N I V I N G
N I V I N G
I V I N G
V I N G
I N G
N G
G
>>
>>778089
What if that hike was the final entry on the list and she never really planned on finishing it, instead opting to die in nature but without it looking like suicide?
>>
>>780368
>Stupid thing is had she walked in one south direction, 1 mile a day, she'd have crossed one of several roads.
Instead she stayed in one place for 4 weeks?
Yeah, that whole "staying in place" if your lost thing should be taken with a grain of salt.

The very minimum thing a person can do for the minimum amount of mental effort is to recognize and maintain awareness of the general cardinal direction of the nearest trail or road from your present location or even the general area of your location.
All she had to do was steadily march back into the general direction of the trail or road system and she could have been out within a matter of hours, or a day or two at the most if she couldn't keep a straight line.

It is mind boggling to imagine the levels of ineptitude it would take for someone to do what she did.
>>
>>780415

I would have thought walking off a cliff would have been preferable to slowly starving over several weeks
>>
>>780432
Agreed on all parts.
>>
>>780432
No that's far away from ineptitude or lack of experience. She was clearly not in her right mind or she was hurt badly. No normal person wouldn't stand keeping in the same spot or inside a tent for even a week. Watch that show "alone" and you'll see how fairly normal people behave when left alone inna.
>>
>>780676
*A normal
>>
>>778059
Probably died just a few feet away from plants she could have ate to stay alive, seriously Learn your shit before you go playing in the woods or youll die barley 1000 yards from the trail home like all idiots should.
>>
>>780676
>Watch that show "alone"
Cant do that. television is poison.
>see how fairly normal people behave when left alone inna.
normies gonna norm.
>>
>>780690
>television is poison.
Epic.
>>
>>778537
Sounds like an expensive day
>>
File: mirror.jpg (45KB, 640x536px) Image search: [Google]
mirror.jpg
45KB, 640x536px
>>780767
Television is poison the same way refined sugar is poisoned. It only fucks you up with frequent exposure, but you can live your whole life without it, and if you aren't well-nigh addicted to it it's actually unpleasant.
>>
>>780810
Have you even seen Alone? It's pretty far from the television you're thinking of

It's no Honey Boo Boo, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, or Duck Dynasty that's for sure
>>
>>780826
Not that anon, but he is correct. Every shot, frame, line, and character is highly tailored to socially program you in one or more ways. It is extremely degenerative. He's also correct about refined sugar.
>>
>>780833
Well at least I enjoy being socially programmed to go outside and do cool shit

Refined sugar is a buzzword. It doesn't mean anything that actually matters
>>
File: AT.png (111KB, 825x540px) Image search: [Google]
AT.png
111KB, 825x540px
>>778059

when I was thru-hiking the AT last year I actually saw the guy who found her on my way to the shelter. I recently flipflopped up to big K and was hiking south.

He was doing some bushwacking so of course I just stated "you doing some bushwakin?"

hes like yeah, kinda, just a light hearted hike really. Were looking for somebody that got lost a couple years ago

i was like oh thats im sorry, i hope you find her

he said "me too, we dont expect to find her, but we gotta look"

I agreed and gave him my salutations and kept on getting the rest of my miles

but sure as shit, as soon as i hit Caratunk next to the kennebec, the bed n breakfast owner comes and tells me they found this chick thats been missing on the AT.

It is completely believable how she got injured where i saw the guy looking for her, it was right before the Bigalowes and there inclines and fucking slick ass rocks should not be fucked with. im talking 70+ degree inclines where the only place you can get a grip is fucking hairline cracks in rocks. Shit is not a place for old ladies.

here is a pic of the area where I saw the search party though, it was right before that big ass incline going up the bigalowes
>>
>>780845
Lost* not Injured. But I'm sure the trail didn't help. All of Maines blazes are so shittily places
>>
>>779245
>Personally I take a topo, compass, phone, button compass, whistle, signalling mirror, PLB (depending on where I'm going) plus some basic day and night navigation techniques.
all of this because you are scared to die
>>
File: 1441626222162.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1441626222162.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
>>780368
>Anyone who is unable to simply retrace their steps shouldn't be out in the wilderness in the first place.
so you agree that this was the case for you the first times you went out
>>
>>780843
>Refined sugar is a buzzword

The distinction is there because refined sugar is made from raw sugar.

>Well at least I enjoy being socially programmed to go outside and do cool shit

You are missing the point entirely.
>>
>>780887
That's an odd and late coming troll, or is English not your 1st language?
>>
>>780890
>The distinction is there because refined sugar is made from raw sugar
And the distinction is nutritionally pointless. Raw sugar has trace nutrients in it whereas refined sugar doesn't

>You are missing the point entirely
I guess I am. I don't believe television socially programs people anymore than other people do. And I don't see an inherent evil in it anymore than I see an inherent evil in religion, politics, and other people programming people
>>
>>780927
You never will.
>>
>>778062
>>778286

ohh wee have I got just the thing for your types : )
>>
>>778298
Honestly, just sounds like your average entitled baby boomer. That generation had everything handed to them on a silver platter. You really think they're going to walk 3000 feet when they can wait for other people to carry them?
>>
Reading the article it seems she got lost multiple times throughout her trip and was incredibly slow.. given the trail name "inchworm". Seems like she saw that movie "A Walk in Woods" and thought she could handle it... wonder what was in her pack? pride?
>>
>>781049
she got lost 2 years before the movie even came out
>>
>>780688
>plants she could have eaten
>or you'll die barley 1000 yards from the trail
>eaten
>barley

sensiblechuckle.gif
>>
>>780882

Nah I kill myself every night before I go to bed
>>
File: outdoors.jpg (56KB, 533x431px) Image search: [Google]
outdoors.jpg
56KB, 533x431px
>>
File: 1464695589650.jpg (59KB, 533x430px) Image search: [Google]
1464695589650.jpg
59KB, 533x430px
>>781149
>>
File: 200px-Ahuvia.png (70KB, 200x185px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Ahuvia.png
70KB, 200x185px
>>778407
>70 year old woman going out alone
>>
>>781281
>>780676
She suicides. And wanted it to seem like she "tried to survive"
>>
>>781281
After all this time I'd forgotten that person existed. Fuck you.
>>
Lol fat old whore
>>
>>778062
>my hobby
Randall Monroe, you are a sick sick man
>>
>>780978
So true. Fuck boomers
>>
>>783046
Not so different from millenials to be quite honest p ha m
>>
>>783145
Gen X checking in.
After a lifetime of supporting the Boomers and the Millenials I fully plan on becoming an entitled cunt and a burden on society when I retire.
>>
File: outdoors.jpg (56KB, 533x431px) Image search: [Google]
outdoors.jpg
56KB, 533x431px
>>783151
>>
>>778059
She left the trail to take a shit and got lost, do I understand this correctly?
Like how far away did she go? How did she end up 3000 feet away? About 50 feet would have been enough to hide.
>>
>>778062
>Also, being edgy by lying to anonymous strangers on the Internet.
>>
>>778180
>I've never been outside my car in the Appalachians
>"they're a dawdle guise"
>>
>>783220
Never understood this. Appalachia is terrain that can break seriously hard men.
>>
>>778059
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/missing-hiker-geraldine-largay-appalachian-trail-maine.html?_r=0

What a complete retard
>>
>>780927
So you agree that t.v. is bullshit and no one should participate in it?
>>
This is a link to the report!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2842883/Geraldine-Largay-Report-Exerpt.txt
>>
>>778285
If you dont think there's a lesson to be learned from this story, you are fucking retarded. You cant brush off the obvious fact that this is a reminder to be more prepared and educated by calling it "hindsight." That's what lessons are you dipshit.
>>
>>783304
Set up camp one day after getting lost and never moved campsite.

What a useless person
>>
>>783304

>After clearing the campsite, we headed south. It was thick for the first 60-70 yards and then became open hardwoods with good visibility in all directions. it was steep but walking down hill was easy.
After walking about 20-25 minutes we came to a clear logging road and followed that and came to the Old RR Bed. in total we had walked about 30 minutes.

Jesus christ, this woman really was helpless
>>
>>783424
Yeah. I read that too. She most likely an heroed
>>
This wouldn't have happened had she worn her Depends
>>
>>783430
Why starve yourself to an hero? I think she was literally just an idiot who managed to coast through life until it caught up to her.
>>
Thanks for finding me a term paper topic /out/
>>
>>778166
Thing is that this is the kinda shit that'll give retarded pussy lawmakers to make laws that'll make it "illegal to go off trail in national and state parks"...or "all trails must be lined with bright orange safety rope!" I wish people would just understand that sometimes when people die, its their own fault and they dont need to ruin the fun for everyone else
>>
>>783491
Nice
>>
>>778659
...common sense
>>
>>778868
>Armenians are worse than jews

Ftfy
>>
While I do feel that this woman made a lot of preventable mistakes I also feel bad for her husband and her surviving family members. Imagine how crushing it must be for them to have learned that she was within earshot of others yet could do nothing, she died alone without the comfort of her loved ones and now her family has to live with that fact and the fact that people the world over are calling her a moron.

Regardless of how stupid you feel she was with her choices she still had a life that was more full than most of the average posters here and their insults of her just smack of jealously that someone who died in a foolish manner was still more loved than they will ever be.
>>
>>783701
I dont see too many people insulting her outside this board, and i doubt her 65 year old husband reads 4chan.

The first reddit thread i saw when i googled this lady, they were all making excuses for her about how thick the woods are and how "crippling" it can be when you arent on your meds. I have seen similar reactions on other non 4chan sources.
>>
>>783342
Literally retarded woman. Remember folks.
A vote for Shillary is a vote for exactly this kind of feminine logic and decision making for our next president
>>
>>783701
>insults of her just smack of jealously
Nature must have been jealous enough to kill her then.

The problem is reality doesn't give you a break just because you're well loved or made mistakes or are a good person. Nature doesn't give a fuck. And if you ask me if I agree with her family or with nature, I tell you it doesn't matter. I can never insult her in the way she did herself. Or the way nature insulted her.

she did some stupid things and she died. It happens. Her friends and family not wanting to insult her certainly helped her die.
>>
>100 Posters

wew
>>
>>783729

Haha!
>>
>>783730
You still have to know your limits
>>
>>778059
>unable to make fire
>doesn't search for the path or a river to follow downstream
>just sits around and waits

Why are people like this allowed to go hiking?
>>
>>783772
yes, ultimately it was her fault and her price to pay for that fault.

You have to wonder at the end though, if she ever got mad at her husband or her friends for not trying to stop her. For not trying to tell her she couldn't do this.
>>
>>783786
They probably did tell her that.
>>
>>783787
hopefully.
>>
>>783779
Because it is good for the health of the gene pool.
>>
>>783275
I think TV is just another facet of human interaction and has positive and negative aspects just like everything else in life
>>
>>783983
it doesn't help the gene pool at all when they've already passed on their genes.

only way it would help the gene pool is if you now go kill all her kids and grandkids.
>>
File: DO IT FAGGOT (fancy).jpg (20KB, 200x292px) Image search: [Google]
DO IT FAGGOT (fancy).jpg
20KB, 200x292px
>>784010
>>
>>778062
Now, you see, tis is why I carry a .45 LC/ .45 ACP Ruger Red Hawk with me when going /out/doors trail blazing or camping.

Almost every thread on /out/ always has two anons (an old hippie and a young liberal hipster) who are anti gun and derail threads to go at extreme lengths to push their political agenda.

But canibaliatic rapists in the wilderness is a reason to have a gun.
>>
>>778229
I'm sure we've all experienced it, being lost as a small child or simply starting to worry when told to wait somewhere and it takes to long.

Man, the days before cell phones were a trip. Back in the day you never wandered far from your pmfamilt, or if you did skit off into groups you had to be military agree to meet up at places at certain times...
>>
>>778394
>The trail of thousands legos.

That is a special level of hell reserved for pedophiles and people answer their phone in the movie theater.
>>
>>778423
Ah, the old fables strike yet again.

Worked for Huckle Berry in that cave.
>>
>>778537
How much did that cost?
>>
>>778059

>26 days

what the fuck

she couldn't have been >100km away from a road

just start walking south, only 10km a day
>>
>>778407
HAHAHAHAHA! THIS! Old women, (menopause) become horribly, irreversibly insane, blubbering, money wasting cunts
>>
>>778659
My gf can piss like a bloke, it goes straight foward.
>>
>>784194
That's probably not something I'd tell people
>>
>>784194
>willing to provide for a girl
>>
>>784215
any girl that can piss like a dude is likely providing for herself anon.
>>
>>784254
>girl
>implying implications
>>
>>784194
Anon, trap is not a girl.
>>
>>778059
if the area was that remote she could have shat in the middle of the trail
>>
>>778062
Pls dont be in Norway ;_;
>>
Why let women hike ALONE? They are fucking stupid.
>>
>>785954
Yeah she doesn't appear to have been wearing her hijab either.
>>
Contents of Bag
- Tent Black with Yellow Fly
- 1 black rain Jacket with Hood
- 1 blue Dry bag
- Mylar space blanket
- Inside tent Blue baseball Cap
- Pages from a book, very wet moldy and had moss growing on it
String from commercial made product
Blue White Bandana
INVENTORY OF TENT BACKPACK
Contents of Blue Dry Bag:
- Collapsible Tent Poles
- 2 Water Bottles, 1 empty, 1 has about 1/8 full of water.
- 9 Ziploc Bags
Ziploc Bag:
- 3 Duracell batteries
- Paper directions for something with a light
- String about 12 inches long
- Another empty Ziploc
Ziploc Bag
- Panasonic S-SO (tooth brush)
- Advair dispenser on #17
- Toothpaste, small size
- 2 orange foam earplugs
Dental Floss about full.
- Baby Powder full.
Ziploc Bag
Small First Aid Kit: also had small pair of scissors, Neosporin, sewing kit, 4 needles, safety pins,
cotton swabs, pills?
- 2 bic type lighters
3 package of band aid
- 2 athletic tape, 1 full, 1 partial
- 4 blister pads
- 1 orange waterproof match holder: inside were 22 matches, 2 small birthday type candles,
match striker which had evidence of being used.
Ziplock Back
- Pa per section map of Applachain Trail, with distances, elevation to points of interest, very wet
Paper work of Rosary
- Homemade necklace with white stone wrapped in string.
>>
>>786222
TENT BACKPACK
Ziplock Bag
- 2 packages of tissue paper
Ziploc Bag
- Sewing Kit with 5 needles
- Piece of paper with "follow Terrys Hike with his Blog
1 Sharpie with piece of duct tape
1 pencil with "riverpine" etched in it
1 pen
- Small compact Swiss army knife
- 1 green Para cord 9.5 feet long
- 1 white twine 14.5 feet long
- Rosary papenNork wet
CONTENTS OF BROWN EVIDENCE BAG MARKED CELL PHONE, NOTES
- 4 bags inside plus 1 page from book
#l Ziploc Bag
Page from book with writing
August 6 2013
Gerry La rgay
When you find my body please call my husband George i, and my daughter Kerry
twill be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me
no matter how many years from now. Please ?nd it in your heart to mail the contents of this bag to
one of them.
There is writing on other side in pencil but cannot decipher.
Ziploc Bag:
- 20 Dollar Bill, 3 one dollar bills, 36 cents
State of Georgia Driver?s license with name and picture of Gerry Largay
- Small notebook with George Please Read
Ziploc Bag
- Blue Samsung Sliding Phone
CONTENTS OF GREEN DRY BAG AND TENT POLE BAG
Ziploc Bag
Beige Shorts
Plum Colored sport
INVENTORY OF TENT
Ziploc Bag
- Bag marked Glasses, was inside the tent
- Glasses black and brown framed ?coach?
- Yellow Whistle
- Black Pen Stream light flashlight, still worked
- Key chain temp gauge with compass
>>
>>786225
>>786222
Did I miss it or is there no cooking stuff? Like not even a pot to boil water in, unless the water bottles are metal.

No trash listed like food wrappers either. Though I suppose critters could have made off with those.

Also, source?

>section map of Applachain Trail, with distances, elevation to points of interest
>Key chain temp gauge with compass

Still lost for nearly a month.

It makes me wonder if she didn't have a stroke perhaps.
>>
>>786230
>It makes me wonder if she didn't have a stroke perhaps.

First thing that came to mind, when I first heard of this too
>>
>>786230
>https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2842883/Geraldine-Largay-Report-Exerpt.txt
>>
Okay, I'll bite you bunch of lovable edgy fuckers.

Yes, it is ridiculous that she got lost after walking only a couple thousand feet from her trail..... and yes, there are techniques which she could have used to easily figure her way back to the trail... but, it's clear she didn't know those techniques and thought she was irretrievably lost, so no, it wasn't wrong that she waited at her camp to be rescued.

The real fuck up was that the rescue party couldn't find her camp site 3000ft from the trail and then gave up on her after only SEVEN days. I mean, what the fuck?
>>
>>786544
>The real fuck up was that the rescue party couldn't find her camp site 3000ft from the trail and then gave up on her after only SEVEN days. I mean, what the fuck?

Yeah, that is the big kicker right there. I mean, if a loved one went missing I'd charter a helicopter and be bullhorning the entire way. There's be bloodhound teams flown in from where ever needed to aid in the search. I'd set up small numbered stations with sat phones, bear cans with food and medical supplies, with a flashing light and loud beeping speaker to attract attention. Then I'd hike back and forth to those locations all my waking hours I'm not flying overhead because I ran out of money. I'd probably spend all my savings just in hopes of finding that person. I'd blog the shit out of it using my laptop, solar charger, sat uplink, the works. Hell, I'd ask 4chan and /out/ to come help. I'd probably even start up a kickstarter and rent infrared thermal satellite imagery (like the WorldView-3 satellite) hopefully around dusk to find campfires.

1 week? Naw, I'd be out there for over a month authorities be damned.

Do any of you think you could sleep at night after searching for only week and giving up? Fuck, dude, no way.
>>
I think seven days is fair time given. She could have been within a 22 mile stretch of trail. Helicopter flight time and man power is just too limited to be out there for weeks on end looking for one person. I don't know why the family wouldn't rent their own helicopter ($300-500/hour) and make a few laps? Probably wouldn't have seen much as her tent was under tree cover, and seeing a 5x5 reflective blanket from 100-200 feet up is near impossible.

The real stupidity is getting off trail, and then expecting to text your husband to ask the cops what to do. Really? Obviously not a very out of the box thinker, as she knew the text messages weren't going out. But decided to just sit and starve to death. Had 2 bic lighters and 22 matches, yet only a couple attempts at fire.

Maybe she shouldn't have left her fucking Spot behind. If she had that, she would have had people walking up to her tent within 6 hours. Then they could have taken her home where she belonged. Pathetic.
>>
>>786739

I'm only working off the 'facts' as dictated in this thread, but if the husband walked down the trail between the last rendezvous point which she checked into and and the one she didn't (which alerted the husband that she was lost) with a fucking air horn, or a fucking loud speaker, she would have been rescued. Would have taken max three days (I doubt the rendezvous points would have been spaced further apart).

Fuck man, there are SO many seemingly straightforward tactics which the rescue team could have used to find her which cant (mustn't????) have been utilised. Where the fuck were they searching? What gave them the authority to say after 7 days "it's impossible that we'll find her, this is an unacceptable waste of public resources".
>>
>>778280
I like this view. Tell me how a buddist would handle one that is trying to use the buddist to benefit themselves at expense of harming the buddist. Eg; wife says go against your morals and teachings so that she may be happier. You see it would be helpful and beneficial to her and her emotions but would be detrimental to the buddist my removing his happiness and breaking his morals. Who's happiness is more important? Yours or those that helping thwm would cause suffering to yourself?
>>
>>786739
>I think seven days is fair time given.

It isn't. That's the amount of time you spend looking for a family pet, not a family member, kid.
>>
>>786761

Agreed. Quality marine air horns can be heard up to a mile away. Dense forest would reduce this, but still.

>>786872

Seven days fair time given from the government. After that, it's on the family. I think anyone here would search much longer than seven days. The family in this case clearly didn't have the capability or care to continue on.

Looking up other cases of missing hikers, most agencies call off the search after one, maybe two weeks. Lesson here is if after a week you aren't found in place, get the fuck out you calf.
>>
The other day found a woman in my city who had come in abusn elderly bus tour. She was completely lost, had no idea of the name of the guide, no phone numbers of guide partners bus driver or hotel, no idea where she was staying. Stayed with her until someone picked her up.

Just saying that every single person in the story has a part of the blame, but you people have to understand that old people are clumsy and loose qualities with age. This was one of her dreams and she didn't necessarily have to die, she just didn't tke into consideration prepping properly for it cos when you are that old things just slip off your mind. Sure some 80 year olds are in better shape than any of us but that wasnt her case, she just wanted to complete her bucket list before dying.

Why the fuck the partner left and her family let her do it without making sure she was prepped is beyond my comprehension
>>
>>787826
>Why the fuck the partner left and her family let her do it without making sure she was prepped is beyond my comprehension

She was in maine. She was almost done. She probably would never get another chance.
>>
>>778191
m8 it's unfortunate but dying due to your own dumbass mistake nets you no sympathy
>>
File: 1463443560553.jpg (61KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
1463443560553.jpg
61KB, 800x475px
>>778285
>She did everything right and died anyways.
>>
File: 276120_1311937827911_500_281.jpg (74KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
276120_1311937827911_500_281.jpg
74KB, 500x281px
>>778191
>all this autistic butthurt
get a load of this guy
>>
>>787709
>Seven days fair time given from the government. After that, it's on the family. I think anyone here would search much longer than seven days. The family in this case clearly didn't have the capability or care to continue on.
>Looking up other cases of missing hikers, most agencies call off the search after one, maybe two weeks. Lesson here is if after a week you aren't found in place, get the fuck out you calf.

The reason most family stop searching (if they were actually out there searching in the first place) when the authorities stop searching is because of 2 things. The authorities need to make their case of why they are stopping their search and that case is always completely dire, negative, final, and they recommend the family "let go". The second reason is the fact they are the "all high authority on the matter of all things and shouldn't be second guessed.: This latter reason is why most people blindly follow doctors without a second opinion. They see any authority as a father or god figure that can't be wrong.
>>
>>788110
there's also the fact that the majority of people lost in the wilderness will die of dehydration or exposure in less than a week.
>>
>>788110
>>788114
I've been on a few search teams, if they don't find you within a week, it's assumed you're either dead, or we were looking in the wrong place.
>>
File: IMG-20150705-WA0004.jpg (16KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150705-WA0004.jpg
16KB, 320x371px
>>778146
Off*
>>
>>788124
Exactly. If it were at sea, I can understand that a good bit, you won't find a body if they are dead, but in the wilderness you find shit even if they are dead. Hence the body/gear eventually being found of the OP woman.

It kinda makes you wonder what the person who found her was doing so far from the trail. Anyone know?
>>
>>778200
I have one. Love the fucking thing.
>>
>>778059
>in a tent 3,000 feet

in the civilized world we call that a kilometer
>>
>>788198
Looking for her body.
>>
>>788378
>civilized world

Yeah fucking right, have fun praying to Allah with Ackbar. We are intolerant for a reason we don't harbor shitty people.
>>
>>788383
>Allah with Ackbar
False...I want that even less than your shitty system of measurement.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 194x259px
>>785941
be seeing you soon
>>
>>784190
the advice given out by park services etc. is to sit tight when you get lost, and that that gives the best chance for survival so the S&R can find you. It's not actually optimal as you see, but it assumes the least needed competence to not fuck it up out of all the options so they give it out to everyone I guess
>>
>>784151
>But canibaliatic rapists in the wilderness is a reason to have a gun
topkek
>>
>>788198

Land surveyor.
>>
>>778059
>According to a 1,579-page Maine Warden Service report

Holy fucking shit. 1579 pages to explain her stupidity!
>>
Where was she found?
>>
>>778059
I just looked-up Maine coz I am Australian - as far as I can see the Furthest that one could EVER get from a 'STORE' [ A FUCKEN STORE - not a track-junction! ] on foot is about 40 miles!
This is another one of those idiots.
>>
This $5 piece of coghlan's "junk" could have saved her life.
Everyone who goes /out/ needs to know that 3 sharp blasts from a whistle means "help needed".
>>
>>788655

N44 Degrees 49.023', W70 Degrees, 24.1015'

Pretty fucking sad when you pull it up.
>>
File: MWS_FINALLOCATION_LARGAY_01.jpg (1018KB, 1200x1528px) Image search: [Google]
MWS_FINALLOCATION_LARGAY_01.jpg
1018KB, 1200x1528px
>>788655
>>788719

>The general spot where she was discovered is west of the Maine Public Reserve Land that contains a portion of the Appalachian Trail (AT) and is about 3,500 feet (two-thirds of a mile) east of the easterly shore of Redington Pond (see accompanying topographic map).

>The United States Navy operates a covert Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape School, affiliated with the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, on 12,500 acres in Redington Township, portions of which are adjacent to the Appalachian Trail.

>MWS game wardens, State Police detectives, Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) special agents, and a Medical Examiner’s Office representative hiked to the scene of the remains Thursday morning, October 15th.

>The Kennebec Journal is reporting Gerry’s body was found “two to three miles straight behind Poplar Ridge lean-to, where she was last seen."

http://appalachiantrail.com/20151016/details-missing-hiker-geraldine-largays-remains-found/
>>
File: future.gif (681KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
future.gif
681KB, 250x188px
>>783304
> October 14, 2315, at approximately 1400 hours, I received a phone call from Game Warden Scott
>Stevens of Snatton Maine. Scott told me he had heard some news that the remains of a body had been
>found up in Redington on the Navy property.

>2315
>>
>>789000
>>783304
after noticing the 2315 and other seeming typos, i figured it was probably a pdf converted to text and to find the pdf.

first guess was changing the ".txt" to ".pdf" and what do you know

Save your eyes the strain of reading a text file with errors: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2842883/Geraldine-Largay-Report-Exerpt.pdf
>>
>>788684
She had a whistle, map, and a compass.

>>788721
Stroke confirmed. For her and the "rescue" team.
>>
>>783719
if 4chan was like every other place i wouldn't be here.
love you faggots!
>>
>>789666
That's because most people on 4chan call people on their shit. Most websites out side of 4chan are enablers to obviously retarded behavior.
>>
>>789004
Very smart anon
>>
this is why you have an eprib, radio , whistle, survival rations, survival gear, and the knowledge to use them.

a $145 epird like a Spot or a $250 ACR ResQLink is not that much of a cost when it will save your life anywhere on earth. .

any one hiking alone should have one.

any one doing the AT should have one.

if your /out/ you should have one.
>>
>>778059
>evidence she had tried to start a signal fire.
Going deep woods alone with be extremely proficient at fire starting.
She asked for that terrible lonely death by starvation or the elements.
>>
>>778860
But he's not wrong about the women thing. They are like children and very naive.
>>
>>778229
>Getting lost in a Payless
>Not being taught to keep the flats on your left side and walk forward
Your Mom wasn't a hiker, huh?
Or maybe you're just better at following directions than I am.
>>
>>778184
Those're classic dementia onset symptoms. Her family HAD to know.
>>
>>778202
>Spending all day playing in the snow
Git a jab, you lazy sack of bones
>>
File: 71cBsp1YJ9L._SL1169_.jpg (248KB, 1169x1034px) Image search: [Google]
71cBsp1YJ9L._SL1169_.jpg
248KB, 1169x1034px
>she should have done this and had these items

No, not at all. You see, she had some degenerative brain issue like having a stroke or dementia. That is really the only explanation for this.

This is a classic case of self-Ubasute.
>>
File: Ackbar_HS.jpg (41KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ackbar_HS.jpg
41KB, 360x480px
>>788383

He's jewish, you cunt
>>
>>789740
exactly
pol-correctness is a cancer
enablism and pussyfooting is a cancer
call out people on their faggotry so they know better the next time
>>
>>790275

That would probably be sound advice if 2/3rds of people weren't complete retards that think being stupid and obnoxious cunts = 'calling people out'
>>
This thread is like a month old holy shit
>>
>>790273
Same thing, all Abraham religions are alike.
>>
>>790295
If by "month old" you mean "exactly 2 weeks old' then yes. Also, welcome to /out/.

Here's the oldest thread on the board right now: >>753993
>>
>>790218
They were either in denial or she had a good life insurance policy...
>>
>>780305
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
>>
>>778703
the most remote spot in the lower 48 is an area to the SE of Yellowstone NP, and its less then 30 miles from the nearest road
>>
>>778059
>found 3,000 feet from trail
That's nearly half a mile. Holy shit. You can step maybe 30 feet off and no one will see you, even then, you're in the middle of the woods!
>>
>>778167
>didn't know how to use a compass
Holy shit. It literally tells you when you look at it. The hardest part is realizing that holding it close to metal things will screw it up.
>>
>>790295
You are very new to chans.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.