[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news /morning-mix/wp/2016/05/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

File: 1399850819860.jpg (706KB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
1399850819860.jpg
706KB, 2048x1367px
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/26/when-you-find-my-body-please-call-my-husband-wrote-dying-hiker-lost-along-the-appalachian-trail/?tid=sm_fb

>Women
>>
That's pretty sad actually.

F
>>
>>777476
I just saw this on barfcom.

>No compass
>Left GPS locator behind
>Left trail
>Didn't stay put

Way to prep!
>>
>>777476
people r dumb
>>
That could happen to anyone given the right circumstances.

Reminder to practice your navigation skills, always bring a map and always pack an emergency meal.
>>
>>777482
> no compass
"Investigators also found a compass, trail map and emergency whistle, according to the report."

> left trail
"left trail to go to bathroom" OR DO YOU LITERALLY SHIT ON THE TRAIL?

> didn't stay put
"The campsite was difficult to see unless you were right next to it”
"At several points, a search team came within 100 yards β€” a mere football field β€” of finding Gerry"
The problem was she stayed put, just a couple of miles from the trail. She wasn't even injured, she stayed put for 3 weeks, There were search parties and helicopters trying to find her.

>>777500
No this would not happen to me

It's a bizarre story. She couldn't read a map? She couldn't use a compass? She knew she was north of the trail(she texted this) but somehow failed to consider all she had to do was walk south to get back on the trail? Even if she had no clue about her position why didn't she just walk in a straight line until she hit a trail and set camp there? She would have been found with all the search parties, other hikers and loggers. For an avid hiker all of this behaviour is really bizarre...
>>
Every time a hiker dies I feel more superior than I already feel because it was another mortal failure in my domain.
>>
>>777525
>No this would not happen to me
Lack of food m8, your brain doesn't work as it should. Try fasting for a couple days and see how it goes.

>why didn't she just walk in a straight line until she hit a trail and set camp there?
Confirmed for never being out of a trail in the woods, or anywhere for that matter
>>
>all these people giving this inferior human excuses for dying

We should celebrate each genetic failures death for it means that we shall prosper with even more genetic dominance

Anyone, anywhere on Earth, the second they have died they have immediately proven their worthlessness to the gene pool. Each death is a step forward for our offspring.
>>
File: 1460392089012.jpg (207KB, 576x792px) Image search: [Google]
1460392089012.jpg
207KB, 576x792px
>>777563
She looked a bit old to be having more babies.
>>
>>777564
Then let us hope she had a low impact on genetics during her sad inferior life, statistically this is already likely due to the fact of her inferiority. However genes will tend to compensate their inferiority by spreading them as often as possible in an attempt to produce just one succesful combination that, due to genetic drift should be the only one whose genes thrive. However if her inferior children also tended to "outbreed" their own poor genetics(which is itself, a genetic trait) then that one outlier superior child would be nearly pointless.

Point being inferior people should be killed at birth. We should have got this one sooner.
>>
>>777525
>leave trail for a moment to go to the bathroom.
>somehow get completely fucking lost and end up dying
she must have had a really piss-poor sense of direction and a complete lack of spatial awareness.
Sure "it could happen to anybody" sort of is true.
But you have to be pretty dumb to begin with or just in a really bad state mentally in order to even fall into this situation
>>
>>777476
I read about her about 3 days ago I think. How fucking stupid can people be. Not having a compass and map and knowing how to use it...
GPS and internet have made people useless.
>>
>>777579
She was described as an avid hiker, which is more than can be said about half of this board. It is very easy to walk off a trail and then don't see it when you look back. Sometimes things add up. You eat poorly, don't hydrate enough, carry a heavy pack, get fatigue, walk in a wrong direction, get lost, get scared, etc.
>>
>>777589
>It is very easy to walk off a trail and then don't see it when you look back
no shit. but it is also easy to remember which direction it is and maintain awareness of your location relative to said trail and maintain your sense of direction
>She was described as an avid hiker,
makes this even more retarded
>which is more than can be said about half of this board
a dubious claim based on your personal opinions
>>
>>777476
She was one of the lost and never found cases that david paulides ""researched"" on.
sasquatch btfo
>>
>>777596
>a dubious claim based on your personal opinions
Everything you say is opinion you dumb euphoric fuck. Let me show you:

>it is also easy to remember which direction it is and maintain awareness of your location relative to said trail and maintain your sense of direction
a dubious claim based on your personal opinions
>>
>be serial killing hillbilly
>be on trail with budd and gus
>stalk hikers with our crossbows
>throat shot and then flurry into chest when they go to bathroom
>drag them deep into the woods
>shallow grave and throw acid on the body
>repeat

>get bored
>make a lasso with wire
>solo hiker
>the chase begins
>>
>>777579
The friend she had been hiking with left for a family emergency. The friend said she had almost no sense of direction and tried to make wrong turns. To the point that said friend who walked faster had to double back on one occasion and find her when she failed to catch up while she was resting.

I actually remember the news story of her disappearance and the search for her being featured on some /out/ related program, weird name, Largay. Always figured it was some creep.
>>
>>777603
>be serial killing hillbilly
>get shot by hiker
>>
>>777600
wow. you sure are retarded.
you obviously have no clue about orienteering in the woods.
PROTIP: its not that hard. you just have to be non-retarded
>>
File: 1463936875515.png (34KB, 732x606px) Image search: [Google]
1463936875515.png
34KB, 732x606px
>>777605
>be hiker
>fist my asshole daily to the thought of ultralight gear
>tfw no paper gunz

Ammo is heavy ;)
>>
>>777604
>she had almost no sense of direction and tried to make wrong turns
Well if thats the case, then this woman clearly had no business being in the woods alone
>>
>>777476
>That's pretty sad actually
dying while /out/ is not really sad.
far better to expire in the splendor of nature's embrace than some sterile hospital says I.
>>
>>777608
>hiking without a weapon
>hiking without a firearm
Enjoy being eaten/raped
>>
>>777614
>it isn't even legal to have a loaded firearm in the woods

Thank your local environmental activist for enabling serial killers
>>
>>777476
>That's pretty sad actually
doing what she loved
>>
>>777618
Wait, what? So what is the purpose of carrying a gun? A bear is not going to wait for you to load it. Is this true?
>>
>>777555
> Lack of food m8, your brain doesn't work as it should. Try fasting for a couple days and see how it goes.
So she was already starving when she was hiking and went to the bathroom? Weird since the same day she still had camp with her friends in the morning. Maybe you're so fat you can't go an hour without food but for me the time gap needed between my last meal and my brain playing tricks on me would be at least a day, and she made all the wrong decisions in that first day...

> Confirmed for never being out of a trail in the woods, or anywhere for that matter
I meant going in one direction as straight as possible. Of course there are obstacles you have to move around and shit... I assumed you would understand what i meant but it seems you are a bit retarded.

And i'm not saying it is impossible for me to die in the woods. I'm just saying it could not happen to me in this way...
>>
>>777500
>That could happen to anyone given the right circumstances.
this is so very true.
I have excellent navigation skills, but on one occasion when in a big hurry to
rendezvous with someone i made some "small mistakes" that quickly compounded till i was in the middle of a huge rhododendron thicket which only made things even worse.
i eventually was able to make my way out soaking wet in the winter time. very humbling experience for someone with a great scene of direction.
so never think it can't happen to you under the right circumstances.
>>
>>777589
>It is very easy to walk off a trail and then don't see it when you look back.
You don't have to walk miles of trail to go to the bathroom.
And if there is bad visibility and the trail is not properly marked you take a quick look at the compass and walk off the trail in a direction so that you just have to walk back the opposite way.
>>
>>777631
>with a great scene of direction.
with a great sense of direction.

>>777525
>No this would not happen to me.
this individual will be the subject of a similar thread in the future.
>>
>>777637
No this would not happen to me, cause even if i would lose the trail i would search for the fucking trail which i know is in my proximity and not hike up a hill 2 miles further and wait there to die doing nothing in a semi camouflaged camp for three weeks, meanwhile i see the choppers and hear the search parties who are looking for me...

If you say this can happen to you i think it is far more likely to see you as the subject in a similar thread in the future
>>
>>777662
okay...some never learn.
think your the exception to the rule.
Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
>>
>>777673
And where did you gain the wisdom and instruction to do
> hike up a hill 2 miles further and wait there to die doing nothing in a semi camouflaged camp for three weeks, meanwhile i see the choppers and hear the search parties who are looking for me...

?
>>
>>777476

fucking hell how do you get so lost from walking a few meters from a trail?
>>
>>777525
>"Investigators also found a compass, trail map and emergency whistle, according to the report."

then that's even worse, she actually had a map and compass
>>
>>777676
She wanted to get to a high position to get signal for her cellphone and tried to make some sort of signs with her surv blanket. She failed at it but there's some logic behind it.

>>777679
Depending on the terrain and vegetation, and if you lack basic navigation knowledge, it's very easy

>>777680
A lot of people carry compass and maps, and even gps devices, and don't know how to use them. Having them with her does not mean anything.
>>
>>777676
My point is not that this exact scenario will happen to you or β€œAnyone” else.
It’s that one should not be so Goddamn arrogant to think that you could be in β€œA” scenario that brings you to your knees.
That’s all.
>>
>>777624
Still illegal.
>>
>>777702
Ok I'm not understanding this. What's the point of being able to carry a gun if you can not shoot it when you need it. You might as well carry a bat or a sword. Srsly america, get your act together.
>>
>>777695
>>777627

Didn't i make that clear already?
We're talking about this scenario.
Obviously anyone can die in any scenario, so what would be the point of discussing that?
>>
>>777618
>>it isn't even legal to have a loaded firearm in the woods
lolwut?
>>
>>777727
Hunting land is fine. National forests they call that intention to poach.
>>
>>777618
If you have permits for the appropriate states there is nothing illegal about concealing in national parks or open carrying where legal.
You cannot target shoot on national parkland however, maybe this is what you are thinking of.
Even if you are forced to discharge your weapon and are subsequently charged with the illegal discharge of a firearm on national parkland (which you probably won't be), you obviously survived to face charges. Far better that than the alternative.
>>777737
Like hell they do.
>>
>>777676
>And where did you gain the wisdom and instruction to do
By having to explain in detail to people that there are flaws in their logic.
and also that you are replying to more than one person....i don't think you realize that yet.
>>
>Appalachian Trail
>LITERALLY FUCKING HILLS
>Lost trying to go piss/shit because dear god, she's the only one who does it and no one must see me, so must walk deep innawoods
>Washington Post
>Referencing Christopher McShitsticks
I fucking hate Eastcoasters
>>
>>777568
>However genes will tend to compensate their inferiority by spreading them as often as possible
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>777694
>She wanted to get to a high position to get signal for her cellphone
>to get signal for her cellphone
abandon logic and reason in a continuing desperate and helpless dependence on electronic gadget to solve evrything
>>
>>777720
>so what would be the point of discussing that?
>>777525
>No this would not happen to me
arrogance detected
>>
>>777482
It also helps to know the local ecology and what safe to eat from foraging along with bare basic tools such as a lighter, a cup for boiling water, etc. Would have at least bought her a few more days.
>>
Btw guys, do you know of any reliable yt channel that teaches map&compass navigation?
>>
>>777746
>I fucking hate Eastcoasters
maybe stay away from threads that happen on the east coast then, faggot.
>>
>777777
>>
>>777777
>>
>>777748
More chance for their alleles to become dominant over a lot of generations
>>
>>777855
You are confusing allele frequency with dominant/recessive relationships
>>
The wayfinding ability of people in my circle of acquaintances baffles me from time to time, hell they could manage to get lost in a fucking office.
>>
How far did she wander to go take a shit exactly?
>>
>>777872
They are related, a dominant wont have to occur nearly as many times so be primary
>>
>>777525
>found a compass, trail map and emergency whistle
at campsite..... not on her. She was fucking stupid.
>>
>>777500
>get lost taking a shit
>die 2km distance from the tourist highway
>can happen to anyone.
certainly not me mein neger
>>
>>777917
Heres your (you)
>>
>>777904
>>777855
>so much confusion about genetics
I blame the teaching of Mendelian genetics
Most traits are caused by more than one gene
Dominant/recessive relationships are not the norm
Recessive is usually means a non-functional protein
>>
>>778003
Not true, it has been found that more often than not it is the very basic things that have lots of genes and the extreme things with as little as one gene, sickle cell for examplen is just one gene.

10 chance occurances of a non-advantageous gene will cause it to be equally as prevelant as 1 occurance of a dominant gene

In the sense of mating a creature still naturally tends to increase its advantages even with the hand it is dealt, in the case of a bad hand this equals lots and lots of off spring.

We see this often in 3rd world countries.
>>
>>778011
>>778003
To add to this, the more off spring produced means the higher chance one of the off spring will have more advantages than the mother and father. This is a split. This is man and ape.
>>
>>778011
>the very basic things that have lots of genes and the extreme things with as little as one gene
What does this even mean?
Have you ever taken a genetics class?
>We see this often in 3rd world countries
Is this where you learned biology?
>>
>>778028

Have anything to actually say? Or are you upset that you don't know as much about genetics as you thougt?
>>
>>778028
He made valids points

You lost man
>>
>>777525
>The problem was she stayed put, just a couple of miles from the trail. She wasn't even injured, she stayed put for 3 weeks
when you lose a trail you need to spiral out carefully until you find it again.
>>
>>778029
>>778035
I don't even understand what he said
>the very basic things that have lots of genes and the extreme things with as little as one gene
Was this referring to organisms or traits, because it is wrong for both
>10 chance occurances of a non-advantageous gene will cause it to be equally as prevelant as 1 occurance of a dominant gene
Again the mistake of confusing dominant/recessive relationships with allele frequency
>In the sense of mating a creature still naturally tends to increase its advantages even with the hand it is dealt, in the case of a bad hand this equals lots and lots of off spring.
Again this is hard to understand but sex having many bad alleles does not mean lots of offspring
>>
>>778058
1) both, and correct for both

2)no, allele frequency is respondant to recessive/dominant

3)no, but in the case of more off spring this is observable as a result
>>
>>777746
Referencing McCan-do-less is pretty spot on, methinks. Both were idiots who didn't prepare and serve as a warning to others of natural selection.
>>
>>778061
>1) both, and correct for both
Basic organisms have more genes than complicated ones? So you have less genes than a bacterium?
Complicated traits, like intelligence, are due to the interactions of many genes
Simple traits, like the ability to turn sucrose into glucose and fructose are due to one gene

Dominance does not mean what most people think it does
http://www1.umn.edu/ships/updates/mendel2.htm
>>
>>778112
Those traits you describe are adaptations and specific to specied so they are in the advanced category. Skeletal structure is due to a fuckton of genes but is relatively the same among all humans, as things like lactose tolerance and sickle cell are not.
>>
>>777563
This is lunacy
>>
>>777750
If you seriously think it is arrogant to say i will not get lost taking a shit and try to solve the problem by setting up a not so visible camp 3000 feet further and do nothing but just sit there to die for 3 weeks, while i see choppers and hear rescue parties looking for me, then you are some dense motherfucker.

>>777739
Please explain, what are the flaws in my logic? Tell me exactly why i wouldn't just try to find the trail back? Tell me why i wouldn't just try to find another trail in case i wouldn't find the trail i was on? Tell me why i wouldn't find a clearing to signal the choppers? Tell me what my flawed logic is in saying i wouldn't just sit 3 weeks in a hidden camp until i die, and all of this without injury and still having the mental capacity to write and thus think more or less clearly... Please elaborate me... by your logic, maybe you'd safe my life one day.

It's like you people are even more oblivious than the woman that died out there
>>
>>778112
>Basic organisms have more genes than complicated ones?
yes.

there are yeasts with more genes than you.
there are grains with more genes than you.

number of genes is meaningless.
>>
File: genomesizes.jpg (47KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
genomesizes.jpg
47KB, 800x566px
>>778352
>there are yeasts with more genes than you.
I'd like to hear about that. Ref?
>there are grains with more genes than you.
Plants are pretty complicated
>>
>Died barely over half a mile away from trail after almost 4 weeks

holy shit lmao kill me

Literally walk in one direction
Literally go west
Literally could've hiked at least 260 miles in the time she died
Actual roads literally less than 100 miles west/nw
>>
>>778459
One less vote for the vagina. Feel the Bern
>>
>>778490
Can't stump the Trump brah
>>
>>777702
You don't carry a unloaded gun...
>>
Obama made it legal to carry concealed in National Forests IF you have a state permit -- one of few good things he has done.
>>
>>780479
The law is the law.
>>
>>777702
Where are you getting this retard information.

Maine is a constitutional carry state.
>>
File: 1417642593452.jpg (146KB, 1002x960px) Image search: [Google]
1417642593452.jpg
146KB, 1002x960px
>>780483
>IF you have a state permit
>one of few good things he has done
Shall not be infringed.
>>
>>777500
Not everyone is that dumb
>>
Can't you use the sun to navigate to some degree even without compass? I mean at least good enough to not walk in circles?
>>
Reminder that she literally did not know how to use a compass.
>>
>>781719
Confirmed for not having lived enough
>>
>>781733
Lol and old timers always give millenials shit for not being self sufficient
>>
File: FB_IMG_1464662971950.jpg (101KB, 875x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1464662971950.jpg
101KB, 875x960px
This is really so sad
>>
>>777476
I once descended on the wrong side of a mountain during a whiteout.

My bro and I had two compasses with us, and one of them pointed us in the wrong direction before we discovered the problem. We were probably about 1/3 of the way down the mountain, by the time it became obvious to me that the trail we were looking for was not where I was expecting it to be.

We still oriented ourselves and bushwhacked down the mountain and through the forest to the nearest road in the same day, without the compasses, despite it taking about 10 hours longer than the trip should have.

>>777596
>no shit. but it is also easy to remember which direction it is and maintain awareness of your location relative to said trail and maintain your sense of direction

I thought this was true as well until I encountered the incident above. In a whiteout if the rise/fall of the land is right you can completely lose direction extremely easily. Even on flat forest it is extremely easy to lose direction in the right circumstance (night, cloudy so you have no long term reference points). I have had to strictly rely on a compass when travelling through forest on a cloudy night, and usually had to correct my direction substantially about every 50m.
>>
So true xxx
>>
>>782818
but will a whiteout last for long enough that you can't just wait it out on your ass? that would be like more than 3 days.
>>
>this could happen to anyone
>you're the next statistic
>etc

Don't project your inadequacies onto other people, kids.
>>
>>777618
Illegal where? I carry in the mountains all the fucking time.
>>
I think it's pretty easy to panic and just not think straight, with that being said though i wouldn't have waited for 3 weeks i'd have started walking after 2 days while i still had the energy and whatever food was left to me.
>>
>>777555
i don't think he meant to walk in an exact straight line but if you kept south on the compass as your general goal then you would hit something.
>>
>>783279
All federal land.
>>
>>777596
i think whats weirder is how far she must have walked to go to the bathroom, I mean sure, you don't want to be disturbed but walking just past the average persons line of sight would have been good enough, i think she was just a bit dotty and ill prepared, couple that with being scared,old and slow meant that once lost it was pretty much game over.

I think the average /out/ist could just walk their way out even if they didnt have a compass or map as they would just be younger and could cover more ground. Sounds like by the time she hit the Hemlock's she was done in.
>>
>>782818
you were in a whiteout bruh. the likeliness of getting lost/lose yr orientation is kinda high there. the woman on the other side wanted to take a shit where walking 15-20m off trail would be more than enough, so i just dont understand how u can get lost there if you're an experienced hiker with a basic sense of orientation
>>
Help ive fallen and cant get up
>>
>>783288
Girls dont fart :^)
>>
Did she died
>>
Sup fags, in order to avoid getting lost cause im a babbi-tier hiker, would it be wise to bring a roll or 2 of bright pink or green stringline to serve as tree markers?

I have tons of rolls due to work
>>
>>777627

The manuals and guides all say, "if you're lost, stay in one place so rescuers can find you".

The spot she'd picked was very hard to see. Rescuers came within 100 yds of her.

So not smart, but she was doing what the experts tell people to do. Before 9/11, experts used to say in a hostage situation you do what the terrorists tell youand leave it to the experts. "Don't be a hero".

That family that got stuck in their car in the Pacific Northwest did the same thing: sat tight and waited. Not realiIng they'd turned off onto a loving road and we're in the middle of nowhere. After two weeks, starving and freezing, the husband leaves to find help.rescuers arrive the next day, and the husband was found naked and dead of hypothermia a mile away.
>>
>>777855

All genes try to spread as much as possible. Those that are inferior are worse at it.

Lemme take a wild swing and assume you went to an American public school?
>>
>>777915

Campsite was where they found the body.

Can I interest you in reading the fucking article?
>>
>>783780
no. if you are talking about leaving string all over he pace that is a fin dumb idea.

in an emergency situation though like in the OP. if you weren't going to be staying still and try to walk out - THEN it would be a good idea to leave sting around so they can find you
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.