[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the Longest you've ever hiked in one day /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 132108133215.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
132108133215.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
What's the Longest you've ever hiked in one day /out/?

I had a day off yesterday so I decided to go for a hike through my city's interconnected trail network

ended up hiking 31 km / 19 miles

It was really fun, but it was a fuckin workout towards the end. Calves are pretty sore and the balls of my feet are all swollen.
>>
Did 54 miles in one day once walking down train tracks. Did a cozy 25 miles per day every day after that for about a week. Gah, I think I can still feel my feet from that and it was 10 years ago.

Yeah, I was on a lot of good drugs that lead you to walk quickly for hours and hours and hours
>>
>>776732

jesus fuck

what were you doing for food and water?
>>
>>776740
Pop tarts and jerky and shit and refilling water bottle anytime the train tracks crossed a town or a creek. If youre moving as fast as I was you get more than a few opportunities to do this.
>>
>>776740
he said he was otherwise disposed by narcotics, and as such you can go long distances without wanting to store up fat again. its how tribes do it (aztecs and ilk would run for days under the influence), and many western militaries are known for giving special forces drugs to make them hard hitting for a long time without needed to rest and recuperate.

my longest is 35 miles in terrain. im a notorious slow roller and while others might see 35 as a joke, to me it was a real ruckup
>>
>>776732
Meth?
>>
also yea, when you go for a long time, you really start to notice the importance of good footwear and the necessity of sock redundancy and first aid knowledge. i once gave myself nerve damage in a toe from developing a callous and walking on it, the callous causing loss of bloodflow. luckily it was only very slight
>>
Did ~72 km from one city to another, mostly through country roads.
Originally planned to go on another 10km but I was beat so took the chance to stop once I had it.
Went with 4 litters of water in a school backpack a big sausage and gummi candy.
Finished it in under 11 hours.

I like to do stuff like that, there are a couple of 30-40km walks I like to repeat and I have done multiple 50-60km walks between towns.
The hardest one of these light walks was a shorter one ~40 km. But that was entirely down a sandy beach.
>>
File: mountwhitney.png (614KB, 557x430px) Image search: [Google]
mountwhitney.png
614KB, 557x430px
23 miles. hikers trail up whitney and back. fairly proud that i did it in 14 hours c2c basically off the couch, terribly prepared, barely acclimated at 6k, before i was very /out/, but it beat the shit out of me. want to go back and climb it properly, up the east buttress, but there's so much shit i can climb without having to share like i would with whitney that it's pretty far down the list.
>>
>>776725
I did 400 miles, sitting on a piece of plywood with a pillow in between my ass. on a motorcycle. pretty much the speed limit was 50mph the whole way too.

go ahead, tell me that isn't hard. u go ahead and try it. MY ASS hurt for like a week, my neck hurt for like 3 weeks.
>>
>>776725
19 miles through Eastern Kentucky. It doesn't count if there's no up and down. I could walk 30 miles through nebraska and not know I'd done anything.
>>
>>777109

>What's the longest you've ever hiked
>hiked
>>
36 km (23 mi), with some 1200 m (4000 ft) elevation. took me 12h (with some breaks)

it was pretty tough, especially my feet and knee tendons hurt and i felt sort of feverish afterwards (might've been dehydrated or something). no blisters.

i plan to try going 216 km (135 mi) in four days this summer. spending nights in towns so pretty much no gear and food neccessary. not really /out/ then, but whatever. along a river, mostly flat terrain.

any advice how to get ready for the long walk? given the previous best and me being generally a lazy bitch, so any systematic physical training should help a lot. i though probably some running or possibly swimming for a better overall fitness. anything else?

or am i just being unrealistic with such a big leap?
>>
In 2014 I did Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon within 24 hours, which is apparently a total of 24 miles walked.

Was good, but the boots I was wearing were basically brand new as well as being pretty shitty in the first place and they crucified my feet.
>>
>>778322
In the case it's flat terrain and you're generally in a ok shape then it's more about the mental game than fitness.
The way to train for this is obvious... long walks. running is nearly as good.

50km a day with no gear is easier than you think, physically speaking. Just make sure you plan long days that include plenty of stops. Make stops even when you're not that tired, say after 10 and 20 km marks and so on.

>or am i just being unrealistic with such a big leap?
I'd say that 36km with 1.2km elevation gain is more difficult than a 50km walk on flat terrain. Was that day followed by more hiking? or was it a one day thing?
>>
File: 10377.jpg (93KB, 1200x740px) Image search: [Google]
10377.jpg
93KB, 1200x740px
I'm a broke NEET. I'd love to get a sit/stand/walk desk setup.
>>
>>778322

High intensity interval training. I know it sounds like it would be useless for hiking, but it will definitely improve your stamina a great deal if you train properly.
>>
>>776725
44km

Skyline Trail in Jasper National Park.
>>
>>776725
10 feet to my fridge and back to the couch, you fucking autists.

> 2016
> going outside

niggers...
>>
>>778439
>>778354
thanks.

> Was that day followed by more hiking? or was it a one day thing?
just one day
>>
>>776732
>Did 54 miles in one day

things that never happened
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.