[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any close encounters with predators in the wild when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 15

File: download (4).jpg (9KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
9KB, 251x201px
Anyone have any close encounters with predators in the wild when you weren't carrying?

>saw a wolf on a trail when I was walking my dog. Dog was going nuts barking, wolf just stared at us for half a minute or so and moved on. Was about 25 feet in front of us.

>was biking on the highway when a bear came charging out of the woods right beside me. I thought it was chasing me and I almost pissed myself. It turned around though went back in the woods.

Anyone been close to a cougar in the wild?
>>
Story Time:
>Moose hunt got me a big bull
>Spend the night out with my favorite dog
>Night comes and I can't make it out in time
>Set up camp for the night make a fire
>Up in the Yukon
>2am or so grizzly comes
>Dog goes mad grizzly stands up
>Grizzly and dog both charge eachother
>Grizzly terribly harms my dog, ripped ear no back leg cuts bites flesh missing
>I shoot grizzly and skin it in the morning
> Still 2:30am or so
> Dog is dying forced to put her down with a 45 handgun to the skull
>I cry about it all night
>Take her body with me and the bear skin/head
>Removed her front paw and preserved it and now I wear it.
> Bear skull is on my wall.
> Loved my dog and will forever be happy and loving that she gave her life for me.
> Had pups so I know have 4 dogs.
> Treat them well.
>>
Story time again:
>Working the trap line while I was a child my job was checking the close ones around base camp
>Taking home a couple martin as I couldn't carry much at the time
> 8 years old if that
> Carrying a 22 for protection
> I see a wolf tearing at one of my traps I set with a wolverine in it that was killed (wrong trap I used a 440 instead of a leg hold I was going after a annoying animal can't remember what)
> I pull my firearm out and shoot up in the air
> Wolf looks at me and proceeds to move forward
> I doubt to attack
> I fire 5 rounds into it in about 5 seconds
> Father and mother come running out with a shotgun thinking I am getting mauled
> Dead wolf is dead and we take it home and manage to sew the fur
> Get about 3/4 normal price on the fur
> No more wolfie
>>
Story time again again:
> Working the trap line while I was a kid checking the lines around the base camp
> about 8 am or so
> Go check the close beaver traps near the base of the pound (castor baited 440 traps)
> carrying my 22
> 9-10 years old or so
> Pull beavers out and reset the traps drag the beavers to my sled and walk my dog back with him carrying them home.
> Wolverine comes out of nowhere hissing and is not very happy
> Wolverine proceeds to start attacking my dog (bowbou)
> I shoot the wolverine
> Its dead instantly
> Radio in my father to come and get everything explain to him
> Comes picks up my dog and everything
> I am worried about bowbou
> Father uses some dissolving stitches on the wounds and we disinfect her wounds
> 3-4 weeks later bowbou is good as new and we are rocking the traps again.
>>
Story time again again again: (Just stories of me working on a trap line as a kid lol)
> 4am or so sunday Christmas day
> Bear comes into our area and it started to try to enter our fur cabin
> We warning shoot up in the air
> Luckily it runs away.

Story story story story story:
> A couple of friends out on the trapline for a couple of weeks
> Having fun shooting up the forest, fishing, hunting some small game living good
> We notice a cougar's den
> We FOR SOME FUCKING REASON decide to check it out no clue why
> Fucking cougar is fucking angry
> We are at the moment in the mouth of the den
> Friends retreat leaving me pretty much with a 300 pound cat with babies
> I hit cougar with bear spray and I run away
> about 1 week later we see it roaming the mouth all is fine.

Story time yet again recent:
> Hiking out in bear country going for a couple over nighters
> Got me some bear spray 5000 shit
> Set up for the night along a river nice area really nice
> Stupid anon is stupid around the bend about 200 yards in the cliff side is a bear den
> I cook me up some fish I fished gutted down stream
> Gut me fish up and cook it, eat it and call it a night after eating some tasty oats with jam (for real try it its amazing)
> early night around 11pm or so
> Bear comes to my area got a fire going
> Around -30 out at the moment so its cold as hell
> Bear comes out to play with me
> Bear is right beside my tent and is actually clawing at my tent, I can see the claw (bottomless tent, 1969 Vietnam style tent)
> I wait for it to either go away or I run like hell
> Bear comes to the front of my tent, I spray the bear and I run like a deer
> Bear luckily doesn't follow me
> Come back to my tent in the morning after running for about 4 hours down river
> Tent isn't destroyed but the bear did get to my bear bag
> I live
> Conclusion carry bear spray and all is fine.
>>
I am trying to think of any other stories to tell you guys... I can't think any others... Sorry to disappoint. By the way I dont carry a firearm everywhere I go. Just bear spray if I feel it needed. Worked on a trap line for 8 years. Any questions and I will answer them. Stories above are me.
>>
She was a Husky German Shepherd Mix very loyal and very good hunting dog. Natiy was her name by the way (Nat-E if you can't say it right)
>>
File: IMG_0219.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0219.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>be me today out for a walk when I see a black looking thing moving
>>
File: IMG_0220.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0220.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>771015
>zoom in on it and it's a bear
>>
File: IMG_0226.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0226.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>771017
>go to it's location
>I was up on that big rock
>like a boss
>>
File: IMG_0228.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0228.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>771019
>syke
>>
>>770977
I know its easy for me to saythis because i wasn't there but you never need to be too scared when theres only 1 wolf. It won't attack by itself. Still fucking scary though I bet, especially since there could be more than one and you wouldn't know because they'rs trying to remain unseen
>>
>>770981
>>770981
Wow, thats some heavy stuff, anon. That really takes some stuff to put something you love down like that. How old was the dog? How old were you at this point? How long ago was it? Do you have a photo of the skull?
>>
File: image.jpg (126KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 604x453px
I saw some bears in Kodiak.
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 604x453px
This little guy wanted to check me out. I yelled at him until we went away because I didn't feel like getting mauled to death by mama.

He looked sad that I didn't want to be his friend
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 604x453px
They found a good fishing hole.
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 604x453px
Good day of fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 604x453px
Kodiak is a beautiful place. I suggest everyone visit there once.

I lived in Kodiak for 2 years when I was in the Coast Guard.
>>
>>771092
>>771091
>>771090
>>771089
Holy shit those are some awesome pictures, anon. When did you go? How long did you go for? Also what lens did you use for that?
>>
>>770995
No real questions, but that seems like a pretty /out/ childhood you had. Mad jealous man
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 604x366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 604x366px
>>771127
Kodiak, Alaska. I used some cheap DSLR Sony camera. As I mentioned, I was stationed out there for a couple years. It's a beautiful place and I miss it.
>>
>>771143
Its gorgeous. When you say you were stationed there was that in the us forces?
>>
>>771144

Yep. US Coast Guard.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 604x340px
>>771145
>>771144
>>
>>771146
Wow that's awesome dude, thanks for sharing the photos
>>
>>770977
I've been within arm's reach of Alaskan brown bears three times while fishing a salmon stream, and within ten meters countless times. When they have fish to eat it's not that scary. The only time I was truly afraid of a bear was when I walked up on one in a heavily touristed area where people had been attacked and bears were eating trash regularly.

Day trips to places like that, I refuse to carry any food and will wipe out the inside of my pack if its had food in it.

I've also seen a panther whole hunting in the south, but he never knew I was there.
>>
>>770977
>there are people who kill wolves because they look scary
shameful
>>
>>771041
> dog was 6 years old so not super old
> 19-20 I can't remember the exact age
> 3-4 years ago
> my girlfriend threw the skull up in the storage locker because she doesn't like the look of it and she feels bad for it or some shit like that. Dont want to start up beef with her on that because well you know the saying gotta keep the misses happy.
>>
>>771130
not everything was amazing about it lol sleep out in -40 with bears shivering lost carrying a couple dead animals. THAT IS NOT FUN
>>
>>770977

My carry piece is like my vock, I'm always carrying it, even when I am not suppose to.

Define close. I've been like 100ish feet away from a cougar before. That's not really that close.

Also, just body slam the thing.
>>
>>770981

Stuff that never happened.
>>
>>770977
Not a predator but somehow related.
I saw a badger when I was a child. No one believed me as we live next to a city and badgers are pretty rare here.
>>
>>771395
Choose to believe me or choose not too all up to you I know its true you say false all up to you.
>>
>>771397
badger will tear you a new hole. Not terribly scary but still harmful.
>>
I saw a wolf once driving to my aunt's
>>
I was followed by a puma for about 20 kms. At first I was a little bit nervous but he kept his distance (say 500 mts-1 km) on a ridge to my right. Turns out he was using me as bait. I figured it out when wabbits started running away from me through the snow as I got close to them.
>>
File: geeps_lrrh.png (29KB, 374x309px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_lrrh.png
29KB, 374x309px
>>771482
I saw one on the way to my grandmother's
>>
>>771090
god damn anon, you made that cub sad you nigger!
>>
>>770977
you basically dont get close to a wild cougar and by the time you have seen it its already on you
>>
>>771397
>>771399
i almost hit a badger with my car
fuckers don't give a flying fuck about nothing
they think they are indestructible or something
i almost hit the fucker smack the shit out of the horn but he didn't speed up his progress one bit didn't even looked at me.
leisurely strolling like a boss.
>>
File: 2016-05-24 13.34.03.jpg (3MB, 1699x3032px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-24 13.34.03.jpg
3MB, 1699x3032px
Almost didn't make it out alive
>>
>>774930
They are indestructible. Have you never played Far Cry 4?
>>
>>770977
>Mushroom and herb hunting in the forest
>Was in the spring so turkeys were in heat/mating
>Had a turkey slate call in my bag, just figured I'd give it a few strikes to see if I could hear some gobbling
>Striking it for about 5-10 minutes just sitting on an old moss covered log, listening to distant toms gobbling at me
>All of a sudden start hearing loud, approaching movement in the leaves from all directions
>Starts getting closer and closer; louder and louder
>I figure it's a bunch of turkeys but still get a bit nervous bc so close and don't have a firearm on me
>Next thing I know about 8-10 coyotes have me fully surrounded and are standing about 5 yards away, just staring and panting
>I sit still for a few moments, just wondering whats going to happen
>I grab my buck knife and stand up slowly
>coyotes still staring, so I jump at the one directly facing me, making a deep yell and moving leaves as I do it
>they all just turn and dart off over the hollow immediately
>sigh of relief, heart beating from excitement though

good times :)
>>
>be 5
>rafting with family
>wake up around sunset, there's a bear 5 feet from our sleeping spot
it just checked us out and then left
>>
>>771398
post pics of skull
>>
File: ducks.jpg (38KB, 700x470px) Image search: [Google]
ducks.jpg
38KB, 700x470px
>>774988
god bless you anon
>>
>>771093
Hey a fellow coastie. Never stationed there myself, everybody who was there at one point loved it.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.