[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you overcome your fear of being vulnerable while camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: 1405499343080.png (106KB, 417x402px) Image search: [Google]
1405499343080.png
106KB, 417x402px
How do you overcome your fear of being vulnerable while camping in the forest

The slightest sound - a falling tree branch or a scurrying animal - sends my mind racing and keeps me up until sunrise

Pls help anon
>>
>>768842
Bring someone else

Bring a knife/gun

Idk man
>>
You don't. It's part of the experience.
>>
>>768842
But you are vulnerable. Why do you want to sugar coat your existence. Embrace that shit and start enjoying every little sound made by every little creature or thing around you. What I do is try to think of the circumstances. This bird is singing right here and now, why? That branch sound, why? It will help you understand the world around you and you'll fall madly in love with the outdoors.
>>
How did you overcome your fear of being vulnerable when you're not in the forest? You're surrounded by more things that could kill you in the city than you are in the wild.
>>
>>768842
You need a doge. Go rescue one. Little shits change your life for good OP.
>>
>>768842
I only get scared in bear country. I don't want to get over being afraid of bears, I want bear spray and an electric fence.
>>
>>768842

You suck it up and realize it is highly unlikely anything is going to happen. I'm older and I've had a pack of coyotes sniff right around my tent at 2am. I've had Northers blow through in the middle of the night and listened to the constant dead fall around me for two hours. I've had to scare off goddamn bears in the middle of the night solo camping. And so on... I sleep like a baby in the forest. If some dumb animal, big or not, starts sniffing around camp, I roll over, smack the side of the tent and make a coughing sound. It usually hauls ass.
>>
>>768897
mein negger
>>
>>768842
Bring a dog or a gun?

I bring my dog and he doesn't whine or bark unless something really serious to him is happening, so stray rodents and such. I also carry a Walther PPk with me because while I've never felt the need to carry it on my excursions, you never want to need it and not have it. Nobody sees it, so nobody's bothered. That or nobody has mentioned it to me.
>>
>>768913
Doggo confirmed for best companion. Disregard whores, rescue a pupper
>>
>>768842
Benadryl
Or get some exercise so you are too tired care
>>
>>768842
Realize that you are mortal, safety is an illusion and that you are about as safe In the woods as you are at home.
>>
Get a big survival knife. If a dangerous animal attacks you, you need to be able to kill it yourself. If you can't take out a bear with a knife you should stay in your back yard,
>>
>>768842
Snore really fucking loud. Wake up the entire god damn forest with your breathing. It'll scare every living fucking thing away from you.
>>
>>768842
Arm yourself and start going out on walks at night by yourself in the woods.
>>
>>768897
yeah this.

Europoor here so no bears but plenty of encounters with boars both whilst in camp/hiking and when sleeping. The jolt of adrenaline when you realise you've hung your hammock near a boar trail and a hoard of them come barreling past you in the middle of the night!

Fuck all the knife talk. Get a knife sure, but make a spear out of it. If it comes to it it'll be a better initial weapon, and as it's almost guaranteed you'll never have a violent encounter in the woods it'll give you a psychological safety blanket to calm down and stop being a little pussy.
>>
>>769003

>If you can't take out a bear with a knife you should stay in your back yard

this fuckin guy
>>
File: DSC_0864.jpg (408KB, 1624x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0864.jpg
408KB, 1624x1080px
Take turns standing guard with your trusty rifle. Although, at night it gets pretty difficult to differentiate between distant patches of snow and prowling polar bears. I need to get a more powerful torch...
>>
>>768842
By hiking into the middle of the woods, setting up camp before sundown and knowing that youre safe.

Aka. Growing up
>>
>>768842
dunno the woods can be creepy
but frankly other men concern me more than any animal
>>
I find it calming. Just listen to nature doing its own thing and relax. If your in bear territory, make sure you took precautions for bear and you'll be fine. A raccoon or some other little critter may scurry around, but they won't harm you.

If you want to have extra security, bring a can of mace, or a gun.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160412_232814.jpg (119KB, 581x1033px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160412_232814.jpg
119KB, 581x1033px
Experience OP you need to level up you dumb faggot. Get out there and do the damn thing. Also dog.
>>
By not being a pussy ass little bitch.
>>
File: 1298262963911.gif (439KB, 500x228px) Image search: [Google]
1298262963911.gif
439KB, 500x228px
>>769308
>level up

You made my morning, anon. Well done.
>>
>>769308
You don't go out you live in a faggot bus and busk and sell scrap metal
>>
>>768842

AR 15 with a few mags and a side arm helps me sleep at night. Mostly bring for plinking and fun, they do serve a good purpose against crack heads, growers, skin walkers and other general spooky shit.
>>
>>769749
>Burger: the post
>>
>>768842
>lay in hammock
>worry some hobo will sneak up and stab you to death from below
sweet dreams anons
>>
>>769136

Me >>768897 again. Yep. I'm in Texas and we have damn feral pigs all over the place.

About a year or so ago, I walk out in the East Texas piney woods (national forest) well before sunrise and sat down on the ground in my favorite spot. It was pitch black dark and you could hear a mouse fart it was so quiet. I couldn't see but I had this pig come in on me. I was sitting on a hardwood bottom and he walked diagonal to me down to a crossing point then doubled back and moved right past me on my side of the bottom. It stopped dead maybe 30 feet from me as it was passing. I was a statue. I could feel that damn thing looking at me trying to determine what the hell I was. After about 40 seconds or so, it figured it was better to run away and it hauled ass. All I had was a damn muzzle loader, my light was in my pack and it was so dark I couldn't see my hand in my face. That little shit pig could have chewed my ass up (probably only went about 175 or so).
>>
Repetition. Every night you sleep in the woods you're going to become more relaxed about it. Also, all those spooky noises you hear at night are probably just deer and shit. Listen to the sounds your local wildlife make on youtube or something and try to identify them in the wild. Eventually you're going to realize that you're perfectly fine sleeping outside and you're going to fall asleep with no problems.
>>
>>769760

This nigga right here gets it
>>
>>768842
Bring dog, gun or just get used to it... or get blackout drunk.
>>
>>768842

I am the worst thing that could be out there.
>>
>>769917

you have debilitating autism and never leave your bedroom thankfully
>>
File: possum.jpg (13KB, 285x214px) Image search: [Google]
possum.jpg
13KB, 285x214px
>>769780

>probably just deer and shit

Reminds me of a trip I had a while ago. Night time, camp set up, fire was going and I heard some thrashing around in some nearby bush. I stopped what I was doing to listen and it continued sporadically. Thought it might be a bush pig because it was making a hell of a noise, but turns out it was a little ringtail possum that was just getting spooped by my movement kek
>>
>>770037

*Turns out it was making a lot more noise than usual because there was a shitload of dry leaves on the ground at the time from a downed tree
>>
I only get scared when I think about the idea of getting scared, then I selectively interpret all the sights and sounds around me in a threatening way.

Experience bud, eventually you just stop thinking about it, you can tell how new someone is by their ability to feel at ease and be alert at the same time.
>>
I have 2 of these fuckers with me when camping. HF getting rekt in the dark by them
>>
In deep forest and you hear the turning and zooming of a camera.
>>
>>768842

Eventually you're so tired you dont even care if you die.

Also normally wildlife is not out there to kill you. Most animals will flee from you and those that dont aren't inherently aggresive, it's mostly you stepping on them by accident.

It helps if you stop thinking about you as an individual dropped of on a hostile environment and start thinking of yourself as a natural extension of the place you're in.
>>
>>768852
branch sound, why?
it's the psycho cereal killer monster coming to get you
>>
>>770041
nice doge but if you let them run around in the woods at night someone might rape them.
>>
>>768913
>>768923
>>769308
>tfw apartment dweller with no pupper

So my first solo trip in nearly a decade went well...
>be me
>be soloing in a new area
>have FSR/GMRS radio because reasons
>leave it on emergency band overnight
>anon goes sleepy
>about 2 am
>wake up to the most horrible other-worldy chupacabra-being-raped-by-slenderman howling scream
>incredibly loud, sounds like it is just outside my camp
>totally freaking out in my hammock
>anon is sure he's about to get raped and eaten
>calm down and finally start to investigate
>finally track it down... to my pack?

Apparently when the batteries in that radio reach a certain level of dead, it goes into channel-the-screams-of-the-tormented-dead mode. I no longer use that radio.
>>
>>770136
kek
>>
>>770041

Someone should upload that pic to the wiki entry for inbreeding
>>
>>768842
It shouldn't be scary. It's nature. With proper education, planning, and perimeter setting, you should be fine.

At most you'll come across raccoons or the occasional deer rooting around for leftovers. Rarely you'll encounter bears or stacy's mom.

Just make sure you keep the fire big and bring a gun just in case.

You'll be fine.
>>
Never had this fear even at my youngest memories of the woods. You must be quite a little bitch.
>>
>>768842
You dont be a pussy.

Unless your in snake country there isnt a whole lot that you'll run into as a basic camper that could harm you
>>
>>771251
>Being this rude for no reason
>That underlying closeted homosexual remark
>>
>>771251
>Guys I'm so tough aren't I cool?
>>
>>768842
A city with niggers is far mre dangerous.
So is marriage.
So are other people in general.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.