[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /out/ I work in a school and since the boss knows I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Dear /out/ I work in a school and since the boss knows I'm into /out/ and stuff she wants me to make some sort of desert island survival workshop or something of the sort. Any ideas of little projects for kids? It has to be completed in under 1 hour, be something that they can take home and it has to take into account that parents will loose their shit if I show them how to sacrifice to the gods a bunny and then proceed to skin it (honestly they'll probably loose their shit if I show them how to use a knife properly).
My ideas so far are:
Alcohol stove
Fishing net
Basketry with vines
Cotton tail pillow/flour/...
Coconut oil
Tomahawk with soft headpiece

Thanks for any suggestions
>>
>>768411
While i appreciate you trying to do something /out/ related with the kids this sounds like a liability lawsuit waiting to happen to matter what you do.

Are you a teacher or otherwise educated in handling kids?
Consider risks involved in each project, injury, allergies or like you said how the parents will react to it.
Also what age group are the kids in?

For one thing i would never consider the alcohol stove with kids, too much potential for injury.
>>
>>768423
I understand what you say. I'm only gonna do the alcohol stove as a preview of the workshop, they aren't going to be handling the cans themselves. I do have training and experience in both /out/ and /in/ teaching. I did take into consideration the allergies and injuries and all that... that is precisely why is it so hard to think of stuff, because there aren't many things you can do without a knife.
Parents are more relaxed, cos it's Europe, but as you said I still want to make sure it's safe.
Kids are 9-12 yo.
>>
>>768438
I think you are on the right track with fishing nets or basketry, very little that can go wrong in a bad way.
Tomahawks is probably a bad idea even with a soft headpiece, handle is probably still going to be wood and the fact that the head is soft might actually make them hit each other with them.
>>
>>768443
It is also a really small class, max 12 people, so it is more controlable.
>>
>>768438
>Alcohol stove
Not sure about this. Some of them will try to replicate it at home, and kids handling alcohol and fire is not a good idea. A lot can go wrong.

Maybe teach them fire by friction? Maybe how to make a little fabric pouch to store the sticks to make that fire? Maybe the proper way to build a fire inna and how to keep the fire controlled? Bake some bread over the said fire?
>>
Op, is this like survival like actually survival or is more about crafts? I have many ideas for survival things that I find myself interested in and all that.
>>
show them useful knots. have them collect a bunch of sticks. give them some time, lets say 15 min, to build the most sturdy structure using stick they collected and using only knots you showed them. You could also give them sticks/balsa wood if you can't have them collect it/to make it fair.
you can have a couple variants of this-- build the tallest structure, or it has to be able to hold weight somehow and then you place weights or heavy objects to test which one can hold the most weight.

if you're /out/ while doing it, build a fire, and bring a dutch oven and make chili (show them how to cute the veggies and etc, maybe even have them cut the veggies up) or some shit, or roast sausage over it.

if you're /out/ you could also do a scavenger hunt. divide them in teams, each clue is a cipher or something /out/ related that tells them where to go for next clue. You could have the clues be about reading a topo map or some dumb cross word about /out/ things
>>
>>768464
it's also inside of a classroom, that's why all the limitations in topics
>>
File: smirk_duck.jpg (69KB, 678x519px) Image search: [Google]
smirk_duck.jpg
69KB, 678x519px
Bring leater, bring hemp string, bring a makarel carcass. Make needle out of makarel bone. Sew a leather pouch.

If makarel is rare pepe, bring needles.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.