[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/, I need help. tl;dr I want books about ecology and similar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: sand county almanac.jpg (12KB, 178x284px) Image search: [Google]
sand county almanac.jpg
12KB, 178x284px
/out/, I need help. tl;dr I want books about ecology and similar topics.

My 15 year old brother is currently very invested in the outdoors and is convinced he wants to be some form of park ranger or ecologist. That's cool, but he's even fast tracking his high school to get out at 16 and begin college. He's outstandingly smart and dedicated, so I can't stop that decision, but I want to at least make sure he really cares about and understands the implications of beginning a life as an ecologist/preservationist/whatever he becomes.

We go hiking, he volunteers everywhere he can to help the environment/nature/animals, but I question how much he really understands about the concepts of ecology and preservation.

I think he needs books on this topic. I gave him my copy of Sand County Almanac today, but my only experiences with literature on this topic is from an environmental psych class I took in architecture school.

Any book recommendations? Not necessarily interested in survivalist stuff, but anything about the outdoors/nature/perspectives on preservation of nature...I don't even know what I'm looking for, but Sand County Almanac is obviously very well known and represents at least part of what I'm interested in. I would love alternate view points, or just more updated ideas.
>>
>>768054
This board so slow that 2 hours isn't enough time to bump. Also there's already and /out/ book thread.
>>
>>768057
I don't see a book thread, help me out?
>>
>>768057
Yeah where is the book thread?
>>
>>768022

>Takes one class on environmental psych
>questions others' knowledge

What makes you so knowledgable as to be the judge of what he understands?
>>
>>768022
>Sand County Almanac is obviously very well known and represents at least part of what I'm interested in.

>I'm interested in

>I'm

Why not let your brother develop his own path of interest?
>>
>>768215
He's 15 and has decided on a life-long commitment. I want to at least offer him a path to understanding views on what he is getting into. I visit him every week, we do a lot together. We're close, and I have a good understanding of what he knows.

>>768217
He has dedicated himself to the idea of ecology already without knowing very much. That's my only concern. He's a kid, and I'm the best guidance he has, so I'm just trying to help out. Not trying to shape him.
>>
>>768022
That's why there are college classes that are called "ecology." Nobody goes into a degree really knowing anything about what they're pursuing, if they did, they wouldn't necessarily need the degree.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.