[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /out/ think of Zippos? Recently got myself one, as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 1445758717665.jpg (34KB, 221x314px) Image search: [Google]
1445758717665.jpg
34KB, 221x314px
What does /out/ think of Zippos? Recently got myself one, as well as a 12oz zippo fluid can for 6$ and a lot of 6 wicks and 40 flints for 7$. The flame doesn't seem as concentrated as a bic, but its reliable and burns really hot and is truly windproof. The zippo itself cost me 11$ on amazon.
>>
>>767714

They're fun to use but the fact that the fluid evaporates over time kills it for me. I just bring bics with me innawoods, works better.
>>
>>767719
I never heard that the fluid evaporates. How would it evaporate more than say lighter fluid in a bic?
>>
>>767714
I carry a Zippo, a firerod and two fresnel lenses as EDC. The one tool I CAN NOT count on in the wilderness is the Zippo. Being windproof and lighting reliably is indeed a huge plus but you'll find you have to refuel it every few days ( not a lot fuel, mind you ) and if you manage to get lost for more than that you'll find yourself wishing you had a bic or other forms of fire. By flooding/soaking my Zippo's innards I did manage to get it to go two weeks without refueling but you'll still be better off with a Bic.

Btw, you should carry tinder on you too. I stopped smoking and started carrying UST waterproof notepads; that paper will burn even when wet.
>>
>>767723

Bics don't use wicks. Zippos, by design, evaporate fluid due to the wick. Like I said, they're cool as hell and fun to play with, I have a few, but I can't trust them because they always lose fluid.
>>
>>767732
Well as long as its closed and not subject to harsh conditions it should be fine right? I don't carry my fluid or extra zippo supplies on me when I'm out.
>>
>>767734

Even if closed zippos will evaporate fluid over time. I've actually been looking at butane inserts that replace the zippo internals but with a more modern lighting mechanism to deal with this issue.

The fluid loss isn't rapid, but if you don't refuel every couple of weeks/months it will stop working.
>>
>>767714
Zippo is a meme lighter
>>
>>767757
This
I had one when I was a teen tryhard
>>767726
>I carry a Zippo, a firerod and two fresnel lenses as EDC
to work and stuff?
>>
Reading other replies, maybe I've just had good luck with them, but in my experience Zippo's usually hold enough fuel to ignite & hold a flame for about 2 weeks before totally evaporating, as long as you don't leave it in the sun. I'll also often carry a small bottle of fluid, which along with allowing for refills, makes a great "cheat" for starting a fire quickly. As a general principal though, I would advice carrying more than one fire starting method when /out/ for a long period of time.
>>
>>767793
Zippo goes in the secondary pocket of my right-hip pocket, the ferro-rod is on my wrist via paracord bracelet ( looks like a watch but it is really a compas/ferro/LED light ( I don't have GPS :( ) and the two fresnel lenses are just kept in the credit-card slots of my wallet. If I don't want to stand out much I take off the bracelet and still have two forms of fire wherever I go which would include a worksite. It isn't hard to keep at least two forms of fire and a knife on you at all times and given both can be surprisingly useful to have I'd recommend doing just that.
>>
there are mini butane torches pretty cheap, got a can of butane some time ago and it's lasted a long time
>>
>>767757
+1. As a smoker, they are very unreliable. I have had many over the years and I would have to fill it up every other day. Always got bored of the novelty after a month or two and it was relegated to the junk drawer. Even close to home, I needed a Bic as a reliable backup.

I would not want one in a survival kit because the fuel would be evaporated long before the time you need it. At least the cotton inside and the flint could be used to start a fire. But the flint from an empty Bic would be just as useful.
>>
>>767840
Where do you live?
>>
I got really fucking drunk one day in Bangkok and threw mine at a lady boy as hard as I could from inside a taxi. Totally worth it. Zippo's are shit. Literally no innovation to make the product better.
>>
Very cool and fun but very outdated.

They're heavy and they leak.

5 Bic lighters > 1 Zippo.
>>
>>767757
+1

I love my brass zippo, but it's NOT an /out/ lighter. Doesn't burn as hot, wind resistance is mediocre, fuel runs out, doesn't like the cold, and it's heavy.

As a smoker I'd rather carry a butane lighter - I carried a zippo for years but honestly the number of times I ran out of fuel randomly I had to carry two lighters!

If you want a DECENT liquid fuel lighter consider pic related - Douglas Field Lighter. Uses o-rings so evaporation isn't so bad and it's actually waterproof when sealed up. Clever design with 'russian doll' bottom for extra fuel and an extra flint. Cool as fuck just a touch expensive.
>>
File: img57320571.jpg (83KB, 600x548px) Image search: [Google]
img57320571.jpg
83KB, 600x548px
>>768177

Forgot the fuckin pic
>>
File: imco.jpg (124KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
imco.jpg
124KB, 880x660px
>>768177
Just get a IMCO. same thing, original designer & manufacturer of this kind of lighters based in austria.
>>
>>768185
Except they dont produce them anymore which is a shame desu.
>>
>>768194
What? I bought few of these few years back, still have 1 left, gave others to friends n such.

Is the company out of business, or what is it?
>>
>>767714
That's a cool metal case op. Will it fit my ferro rods AND my lenses? Does it have vent holes in it to make charcloth?
>>
>>768198
Yes. Imco went out of business and needless to say the prices for a triplex went from 2euro to 20.
>>
>>768200
I'll take "What are pockets?" for $200
>>
>>768268
You make char cloth in your pockets?
>>
>>767714
I love Zippos. I have 3 of them. Have to refill fluid about once a week even with little to no use. Like others mentioned, the fluid just evaporates in a week or so, no matter what.

I also have an ordinary Bic lighter I 'borrowed' from a girlfriend about 8 years ago. Damn things still half full of fluid, still works just fine.

I dont see the Zippo as being practical or reliable as an /out/ accessory. I feel as though I can't rely on it unless I'm also carrying a bottle of fluid to fill it up as needed.
>>
Zippo Blu reporting
>>
>>768385
>doesn't use a mora
>>
You can put a ranger band around the zippo. This helps with fuel evaporating.
>>
>>768390

Moras are fucking gay mate.
>>
>>767734
A closed zippo will be exhausted in about a week or so. Just carry fluid and you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.