[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a cheaper alternative to Coleman camp fuel? Also I am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (111KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 800x600px
Is there a cheaper alternative to Coleman camp fuel?
Also I am aware this is a dual fuel stove but I read gasoline can gum up the generator.
>>
File: white gas.jpg (101KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
white gas.jpg
101KB, 500x500px
>>762944
> Is there a cheaper alternative to Coleman camp fuel?

I don’t believe so, it’s pretty much just a low octane gasoline without the additives mandated for car fuel.

I see Wal-Mart has it for $12.55 per gallon and while that’s quite a bit more then gasoline, are you really using so much Coleman fuel that the increased cost is an issue?

> I read gasoline can gum up the generator.

I’d think if you’re burning thru that much fuel, then the issue of additives in gasoline is an acceptable maintenance cost in regards to the price.
>>
>>762944
>it’s pretty much just a low octane gasoline

No, not at all. There's no gasoline in the product. It's a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.

In the dual fuel stoves, you don't have to worry about gumming up the generator. It will ventually happen but it will take years and even then, you can sometimes manage to clean it out using carburetor cleaner. The whole "gasoline gums up the generator" issue was when there was lead added to the fuel. That WOULD quickly ruin your generator but since the banning of leaded gas, that's no longer an issue.
>>
>>762982
Awesome thanks for the info.
>>762962
What it's only 12.55 at my Walmart it was 30 bucks a gallon
>>
>>763031
> at my Walmart it was 30 bucks a gallon

Don't buy the Coleman branded fuel, get the generic "camp fuel" it's much cheaper and virtually the same product.
>>
>>762944
>cheaper alternative to Coleman camp fuel
Sticks are free. A surface to hold your cookware level can be had for the low cost of three metal stakes.
>>
>>762944
Isn't denatured alcohol cheaper?
>>
>>763134
Denatured alcohol runs about 8 bucks a quart so it's more expensive than camp fuel, but you can't use it in OP's stove anyway.
>>
>>763118
Settle down Alfie
>>
>>763148
The whole point of denatured alcohol is that it gas poison in it so no taxes are needed for it lije drinking. But i can buy rum for 8 bucks a liter.

And as i understood it he asked for the cheapest fuel not just the cheapest fuel available for his specific 2 fuel stove.

I don't actually use denatured alcohol but as far as i understand you can buy it for about 5 bucks a liter and taking 2 oz to boil 32 oz of water.
>>
>>762944
Just clean it out at the end of the season with some carb cleaner you big baby.

>>762962
My local fleet farm has it for $10/gal, cheapest price in the area as far as I'm aware.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 486x513px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 486x513px
>>763158
>as i understood it
I think you MIS-understood

>you can buy it for about 5 bucks a liter
You have a local source that cheap (no shipping)? Even so, that's $22 a gallon so camp fuel is still cheaper...

>taking 2 oz to boil 32 oz of water
I've used alcohol stoves extensively and the only way 2 oz of alcohol will boil 32 oz of water is for the water to be 140 degrees F when you start. Normally a little more than 2 oz of alcohol is needed to boil about 500 ml of 70 degree F water.
>>
>>763177
I got different experiences with alco stove, usually 1oz is enough to boil 500ml of tap water. I use Trangia stoves and fancy feast wick stoves.
Hiram seems to have the same results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JExr3FY5crg
>>
File: Picture 155.png (482KB, 960x629px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 155.png
482KB, 960x629px
>>763188
>Hiram seems to have the same results
He only used 2 cups of water - 454 ml, still that's not enough difference in volume to account for my additional fuel usage. There's other variables though, all my boilings have been done outdoors (with wind etc) to actually heat water for food preparation. I also use a much bigger Stainless Steel pot which take more fuel to heat up plus SS isn't as thermally efficient as the thin aluminum pot he used. I also heat my water to a full rolling boil instead of stopping just as it reaches 212 degrees.

Maybe I'm a little wrong on fuel usage under optimal conditions but I was speaking from real world experience and not any kind of scientific test...
>>
>>763152
Fuck that dude. This is how I have cooked innawoods for twenty years.
>>
>>763177
>I'll mix imperial and metric liberally
>>
>>764737
>gotta sound smart on 4chan
>gotta sound cultured on 4chan
>>
File: image.jpg (318KB, 1348x1354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
318KB, 1348x1354px
>>763188
>Hiram seems to have the same results

The discrepancy in fuel usage piqued my curiosity so I went back and checked my measuring cup. Sure enough, all this time I thought I was using 30 ml of fuel (~ 1 oz) per cupful when in reality my measuring cup was only 20 ml. So when I thought I was charging my stove with 2 oz of fuel, I was actually using more like 1.3 oz. to boil 500 ml of water which is much closer to the other results posted here...
>>
>>762982
>No, not at all. There's no gasoline in the product. It's a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.

You realise that gasoline is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.

So yes Coleman fuesl is pretty much low octane gasoline with no additives. The qualifier being that it has a slightly lighter mix of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane than gas.
>>
File: Picture 156.png (86KB, 532x568px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 156.png
86KB, 532x568px
>>764842
>You realise that gasoline is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.
>Coleman fuesl is pretty much low octane gasoline with no additives

No...

"Gasoline" typically contains hundreds of fractional components and yes, among them are various percentages of the components that are used in camp fuel, however camp fuel is in no way gasoline "without the additives".

Gasoline's MSDS (pic related) lists it's main components as being Toluene, Xylene, Pentane, Butane, Methyl tert-butyl ether, Ethyl tert-butyl ether, Tertiary Amyl methyl ether, and Ethanol.

Here's the percentages of camp fuel components found in gasoline:

cyclohexane - 0 to 5 percent
nonane - typically only used in the production of kerosene (jet fuel) and diesel
octane - 0 to 1 percent
heptane - 0 to 2 percent
pentane - 0 to 20 percent
>>
>>765057
It is clear you dont understand this stuff so let me simplify. Coleman fuel and gasoline are made from the same mix of chemicals, they just have slightly different proportions. Depending on the feed stock the mix can be wildly different (as you can see from your pic) the only thing that defines the finished products are their properties. The properties of Coleman fuel make it "pretty much just a low octane gasoline".

In fact the whole point of camp fuel s that it is easy to light, "low octane"; and it burns clean, "no additives".
>>
>>765285
>same mix of chemicals, just slightly different proportions

From 72 to 100 percent different = slightly different

Ok, got it
>>
>>765336
it's a moot point. gasoline has been working fine for decades even in coleman stoves not marked "dual fuel"

you just need to clean it out a bit more often
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.