[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For as long as I can remember, I always felt some sort of security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: drifter_by_gavade.jpg (224KB, 443x800px) Image search: [Google]
drifter_by_gavade.jpg
224KB, 443x800px
For as long as I can remember, I always felt some sort of security knowing that if I somehow lost my job, home, most of my money, I could resort to being a drifter. Wander city to town experiencing life how it was for many people back in the old days. It may not seem like the most luxurious of lifestyles but it is a possibility one may actually enjoy. You get to experience actual living outdoors, hopefully find odd jobs for food and such.

Would it really be that hard to live like this or does or society nowadays give off a bad stigma?
What is /outs/'s thoughts on this subject?
>>
>>760753
i think every bachelor has this comfort. the economy of security comes from family folk who dont have the option of disappearing into the night with a bag of nuts and a lighter

also, you will eventually become a rat, because it is almost impossible to both be a drifter and be confidently self sufficient. either you are eating out of dumpters, limiting your movements to social areas, or are on the unbeaten path and have 0 reliable food and water sources, which will either herd you back into society, or force you to settle down in wild areas with resources, effectively taming the supposedly unchained soul
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVoAijFMao

I've found regular grooming and frequent laundering of your clothing makes things much easier all around.
>>
>>760753
Seems cool in theory but in my fantasy I'm a highly skilled guy that goes from town to town solving mysteries and saving people from greedy land developers or whatever. Reality would be a lot more dirty and depressing.
>>
>>760753
I feel the same and it has been the main drive behind my woodland survival skills and endurance training. Yeah it is perfectly possible.

Protip: if you find a state you want to drift around for a year, screw some paperwork and make yourself a resident and collect food stamps.
>>
>Do something like take pictures/videos/vlog everywhere i go or do something like test equiptment to have some money
>Travel the world doing this
>In some manner record everything just for me
>Maybe one day settle somewhere
That's the dream anyway.
For now, I'm just building the pack, gathering gear
>>
>>760776
depends on where you live. down south you can survive indefinitely with the right skills. hell, last chirstmas it was 80 degress out.
>>
>>762114
80 degrees is nearly boiling all the snow would've melted if it was that hot
>>
>>762221
???
>>
>>762360
Hes pretending to be retarded. He is saying christmas always has snow so how could it be 80 degrees. He probably still lives with his mother.
>>
>>762494
im saying down south is covered in snow and ice and 80 degrees isn't just too hot for the ice to stay frozen but it is too hot to survive
>>
>>762957
No it isn't.
>>
>>762114
>>762221
>>762360
>>762494
>>762957
>>762970

There is a difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit
>>
>>763004
It is a 0 degree fahrenheit bag. Thats -18 celcius.
>>
http://binaryelysium.com/prose/sawyer.html
>>
>>763004
Kek
>>
>>762970
no what isn't?
is down south not covered in snow and ice or is 80 degrees not too hot to survive?
>>
>>763332
Let's all stop trolling and get the thread back on track. We're talking about the southern United States and 80 degrees fahrenheit.
>>
>>763335
yea, because thats back on track
>>
>>763339
Fair enough. There's really not much else to say. It's not really possible to be a cool, mysterious drifter in real life. No one likes bums.
>>
>>763348
>No one likes bums.
Fuck yourself. I like bums, they have cool stories and unconventional bits of wisdom that they'll trade for booze.
>>
>>763332
You have, how do I say this.. a low IQ.
>>
File: happy hobo.jpg (279KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
happy hobo.jpg
279KB, 681x1024px
There are two kinds of drifters in the USA - bums, and hobos.

Bums are people who beg for money or food, live wherever they can find a spot, and generally don't take care of themselves very well. Given a choice, these types of drifters will always choose the most comfortable option. The reason they are bums is laziness, ineptitude, addiction, stupidity, or most often a combination of all four.

Hobos are entirely different. Hobos know how to use the rails to get around the country. They work - odd jobs and time to time. They have survival skills. Given the choice, they'd choose the life they are living. The reason they are a hobo is that they function best, and are happiest, when they are not beholden to any man, or tied down to any place.

There is even a hobo code of ethics - which doesn't include anything about thievery, begging, or murder, but does include guidelines for how to treat other hobos, how to treat people who help you out (with respect), and how to live your life with cleanliness and honor. This is a real thing, feel free to look it up.

As for whether the hobo code of ethics is still in force today, I couldn't tell you. But I do know a couple of guys I occasionally run into at a country convenience store I stop at early every morning, who call themselves hobos and insist there is a big difference in a hobo and a bum.

IMO, it is certainly possible to be a drifter of that type and have honor within that community. But if you're looking for validation from society at large for a transient lifestyle, you'll never get that. To the average American, a homeless person is just a bum, period.
>>
>>763478
You forgot the part where hobos are drunks
>>
first thing, get food stamps/EBT. not hard to do if you're homeless. it's really impossible to starve in america, there is food everywhere, but EBT is enough.

that's actually pretty much it.. i like camping around the appalachian trail because you blend in, and hikers don't give a shit. there are plenty of small towns you can visit while sleeping on the trail.

it's really not that hard but the worst thing is knowing you'll die that way if you don't get back with society. nothing wrong with it though. not dangerous at all if you keep yourself out of trouble.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.