[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you go about starting an adventure? You see these people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: FB_IMG_1462793430160.jpg (496KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462793430160.jpg
496KB, 2048x2048px
How do you go about starting an adventure?

You see these people going all over the world and posting pictures of themselves in nice landscapes or camping in these exotic places in new zealand or something. I've always been an indoors type and this kind of freedom and independence is really attractive -- but how do you do it? How do you even begin? How do you get to this place and what do you even do? Just bring a backpack and a tent?
>>
File: 0ZEBnoQrc910fgdxcccDjd81_500.gif (43KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
0ZEBnoQrc910fgdxcccDjd81_500.gif
43KB, 320x240px
>>760262

Most of those people you see either have wealthy parents, or partners.

Me personally I just keep a backpack ready with some gear in my car and just hit the road for the mountains/woods when the urge strikes me on my days off.

Being in Central California has some merits. But not many.

Start by thinking about what you want to do. Make a list if you must. Consider your limits, and don't be afraid to start small. Even shit like 2 hour hikes on a well established train. Build up your skills and abilities, and learn what you need and what you can do without.

Learn the weather of your area and how to read it. If shit starts to change don't be afraid to check out early.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462794469574.jpg (62KB, 960x649px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462794469574.jpg
62KB, 960x649px
>>760264
No doubt about that; just a plane ticket is expensive.

But do you or do these people generally follow established routes? Do they just google "scenic hiking trails", take the nearest bus there, and then take a bunch of pictures?
>>
>>760262
You just fucking do it. Plane trip from Boston to Iceland is $100, get on it senpai.
>>
>>760280
Okay, and then what? Look up hiking trails on the internet?
>>
>>760289
You could do that. You could also just walk into a forest or up a mountain.
>>
>>760262
Well I just bought a plane ticket to Oregon, going to be my first adventure. Needless to say I'm pretty excited.
>>
>>760303
Have you planned it out at all? What will you do?
>>
>>760262
>starting an adventure

Life isn't a book, video game, or movie, kid. New Zealand isn't even remotely, "exotic". Oh, maybe if you are born and raised in the jungles of Madagascar, New Zealand might be "exotic" to you.

Glad to hear your parents kicked you out finally. Try couch surfing if you want some "adventure".
>>
>>760262
Why is she caressing a coconut
>>
>>760321
She adopted it as a friend until an indigineous kid from the village destroyed it.
>>
>>760262
Most of them are rich kiddies but,

>plan a year in advance
>calculate expenses
>save up a certain amount per month
>have a gf
>????
>congrats now you too can look like a cunt on instagram
>congrats now you
>>
>>760346
forgot to mention to buy the plane tix at least 6 mo/ in advance.
>>
>>760303
Way to aim high
>>
File: IMG_20160322_094819.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_094819.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>760262
Well I quit my regular job, fit what I could in my shitty car and spent the winter working a b.s. job at a lodge 8500 ft up a mountain in Utah and skiing almost every day. Then I repacked my shitty car and drove to Alaska where I'm going to spend the summer working for a rafting company and hiking around Denali NP in my off time. And no, not a rich fag or being bank-rolled by mommy and daddy, according to the numbers I technically live in poverty.

But that's kind of on the bigger end of the scale. Adventures can take an afternoon or they can take a lifetime depending on the scale.

The other thing about adventures is that they're far less consistent than day to day life. They're more fun and exciting, but they can also suck a lot worse at times. You have to be willing to be uncomfortable, but if you can get through it you'll have a great story.
>>
File: SAM_3035.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3035.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
OP sounds like you have the inspiration required; the next step is to be obsessed. Use google earth to find cool forests around the world and then spend months drooling over photos on Panoramio.
You think a plane ticket is expensive? Shit, what's $600? Two weeks' worth of minimum-wage paychecks? If you know your google-fu you can get round-trip tix to Europe for as little as $400.
And if you're an outdoorsman, being there is free, or close to it. You can wild camp in any country on earth. I've hitchhiked successfully in a dozen countries. If you have an American passport you have so much fucking freedom I can't even wrap my head around it.

Option 2: Countries like Australia and NZ also allow people in on working holiday visas where you can work and dick around all you want for 12 months.
>>
>>760326
Savages. ..
>>
>>760262
Start local friend. Don't drop huge amounts of money for an excursion that would put you at your limits. I used to travel to Patagonia, I've bushwacked the Congo, hiked through Thailand, but I started small. Do something like the Grand Tetons, or Banff National Park, or PCT, CDT, or AT. If you love those experiences, jump your ass to foreign places.
>>
>>760267
Your question just reeks of NEET shut-in. Seriously, just go outside, meet some other people who do the same, join a club or the like, and exchange ideas/adventure plans.
>>
>>760303
Be sure to visit Crater Lake and the Columbia River Gorge.
>>
>>761026
>to Europe
And you would need a passport for that mr big talker. You'd think a seasoned world traveler such as yourself would know this and take it into consideration before posting $400

2 weeks worth of min wage paychecks? Do you understand taxes? Expenses? There is very little left over. I would have to save for quite a while before I could possibly do something this exotic.
>>
this shit always blows my mind. all you gotta do is go the fuck outside.
>>
>>761451
Where do you live? you can get quite far on a bicycle. A guy made it across Europe with just 100 €, he made a thread on /trv/.
>>
>>761451
>Do you understand taxes? Expenses?
I honestly don't understand at all why people find it so difficult to afford travel. My best guess is that they just don't prioritize travel, would rather buy alcohol or soup up their car or something.
I'm poor and always have been. I have 30k in student loans. I don't even live that frugally. I just work hard because I want to travel more than anything else. It really is that easy.
Will I ever own a house or a nice car? No, probably not.
>>
>>760308
You're a very negative person and you should work on changing that. Anyway, like others have said, it's not too difficult OP. You just have to be good at saving money and prioritizing. Learning to budget wisely is a great life skill regardless. You can't go on cool trips if you're always wasting your money on going out to the bars, eating out, etc.
>>
>>761750
I'm in the same boat as you anon. It's all about what you want to get out of life. I get the appeal of owning your own home and nice things but then you're always working to pay them off.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4027x3020px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4027x3020px
I found this place after looking up state park on google maps and looking for places near me or getting recommendations from people I know. There's also an app called "Yonder" that's like Yelp for /out/ related activities.

As far as world travel goes, it's surprisingly cheap if you know how to do it, but does require you to save your pennies somewhat. Try a site like Kayak for airfare deals, stay in hostels, use local bus transportation, check out lonely planet guides. You can find some cool shit that way. Most of the really awesome places or things I did came from recommendations from people once I got there.

I went to Tofo, Mozambique after I met some English travelers passing through who suggested it to me while working in Swaziland and had a blast there. They also took is to the MTN Bushfire Music Festival in Swazi, which was also awesome. Just make sure you're flexible and can handle some discomfort. The Mozambique trip was an 8 hour bus ride from Maputo and we were crammed 5 deep in a 4 person bench seat, and it was "winter" so all the Africans were freezing and wouldn't open the window to let the air circulate through a hot stuffy bus.
>>
>>761794
Also, my buddy is a teacher, saves up a good chunk of his money throughout the school year and then goes and travels for two months in the summer while he's off. He's hit South America, where he snapchatted me a huge pile of cocaine, South East Asia, the Himalayas, and I think he's going to Eastern Europe this year.
>>
I start by looking at as many maps as I can find about where I am or want to go.
>>
Good thread. Of course it's important to point out that your employment needs to be relatively flexible in order to take off and travel for extended periods. If you work a corporate job, you're going to be restricted by your allotted vacation time so that's something to keep in mind. It's all about your priorities, y'know?
>>
>>760308
Confirmed for never having been to New Zealand.
>TFW you've been hiking through Maori-controlled rainforest for six days without seeing another person and your camp is raided by a band of hungry pukekos.
>>
Left box life behind to travel. Wouldnt change a thing.
>>
You just do it.
>>
>>761888
>maori
>controlling anything
>>
Get in your fucking car and drive. Make sure to bring a camera, a tent, a sleeping bag (or a massive pile of blankets, whatever), some money, some food. Go. Anywhere. Sleep in state parks. Go for a swim in a nice river. Take lots of pictures. Enjoy yourself.
>>
>>761439
This response gave me brain cancer. Thanks obama.
>>
I realized I have enough friends who could lie on a resume for me to just get restaurant jobs in NYC/SF live in a van save a few months and then just bail and travel

Haven't done it yet, mostly I live between cities every six to twelve months and connect with homesteading friends from Tennessee to Hawaii.

Arguably you could do work vacation in Australia then backpack Bali and SEA or Latin America I know tons of people who do that. I also know people who do temp work in Denali or at seasonal resorts but again I'm pretty sure when crazy shit happens like OP says family or friends would send a couple hundred.

Basically I'm saying you have to be a Normie to some extent and be able to make friends. I have an anxiety disorder but I can also be gregarious and flamboyant/flippant/campy so I have my niche and usually try my best to help everyone I'm around. They in turn back me up sometimes.

Though if I could deal with unaware White people better I'd probably be traveling the globe by now.
>>
> Most of those people you see either have wealthy parents, or partners.

Yup, most of the people I've encountered like that have been trustafarians, yuppies going through a phase, etc.

As far as how to start an adventure, just get some gear, look up the largest hunk of uninhabited wilderness near you and start hiking straight into it. Then sink or swim.
>>
>>760262
you can probably find others like her at
tag your sponsor dot com
>>
>>760267
What I used to do is schedule in several months between transition periods of my life. I leave the marines, and have a year before graduate school starts. Drive to panama and back. Spend 500 quid on a motorcycle in wales and ride around europe and north africa for a few months. Finish my MBA and before I start my job I have 4 months, so I spend it sailing down the california coast to the tip of baja california. Bring a camera, take some pictures like I have since I was 12, and voila instant 'adventure'. Except....
An adventure is just someone having a terrible time a thousand miles away. There's nothing romantic about it, it's just a matter of going out and doing something. You don't need the allure of the exotic to challenge yourself, and that's something I wish I had known years ago. Go camping and don't bring anything but emergency food -- forage for what you need and research edible plants in your area. Don't bring matches or a firestarter and work it out for yourself. These 'adventures' people have are generally entirely self-serving masturbation pieces lived by empty souls with no purpose.
>>
>>763105
Well by "adventure" I think OP just means traveling to cool, pretty places like you did. Challenging yourself via primitive camping and foraging like you're saying sounds really stupid to me but to each his own.
>>
>>760267

>carrying around a glorious 70-200 f/2.8 and not using the lens hood at all times

guy probably has some cheap chinese glass filter on it too.
>>
>>760307
I booked an airbnb for 6 days. Way cheaper than a hotel. Also, planned out a bunch of hikes to go on. Gonna be in Portland and can't rent a car unfortunately so I can't go too far. >>761440
Definitely visiting the Columbia River gorge.
>>
>>760307
Also bought the tickets about a month ago. For the plane ticket it was around $380ish. Hipmunk is the cheapest place I've found to buy tickets.
>>
>>760262

Fucking instagram attention whores. It's not hard to tell how insanely posed that photo is

>oh ha ha ha look how carefree I am and whoops one of my straps fell down oh well tee hee
>>
>>760262
You start with an idea of what you want to do, and then you narrow down choices until you get a trip that fits.

I wanted to do a long backpacking trip, and I wanted to go somewhere really different (from North America). I just googled for some of the best long-distance backpacking trips and read suggestions. I found out about the Annapurna Circuit, and it fit the budget, so I went. I went in the off-season so it was very quiet, despite normally being heavily trafficked.

I wanted to explore Hong Kong, so I booked a hotel in the middle of the city, and then I just wandered around.

I wanted to hike Mt. Fuji, so I read about the different routes and travel. I got on a train in Tokyo, then got on a bus at Gotenba to the base of the trail, and hiked up.

I wanted to go somewhere remote in Japan, so I looked at a map and found Rishiri island to the northwest of Hokkaido. I looked up how to get there, where to stay, and things to do. I flew to Sapporo, took a train to Wakkanai, and then took a ferry to Rishiri. I found out that there was a trail going up the (dormant) volcano, so I hiked up.

I wanted to experience some quiet wilderness, so I chose an wilderness park in the Canadian Rockies that can only be reached after hiking for 7 hours. A lack of easy access meant that the whole area only sees a few visitors a year, and I have never seen anyone else while camping there.

The point is, every one of my trips starts with "I want to do X" - and then I figure out the details from there.

If you don't have anyone who is going to fund your trips for you, then you have to do it yourself by actually managing your money so you have the savings you need. If you stay away from hotels, or at least expensive ones, most of the cost is in flying - meaning one 3-week trip is probably going to be cheaper than three 1-week trips.
>>
>>764366
>Annapurna Circuit

How difficult was it? Would you recommend? Story plz

Also, mah nigga. That's how I travel too.
>>
>>764375
I would say it is challenging, but almost anyone could do it because you can vary your pace a lot and take as long as you need.

My wife and I had a disproportionately hard time because we both became very sick in Kathmandhu before we even started the trail (and stayed sick for well over a month), but we are in good shape and still did the "full" circuit from Besisahar to Birethanti in 15 days and took public buses to/from the trailheads, while carrying our own gear instead of using a sherpa.

The hardest part is the altitude, which you have to respect. The trail itself is easy enough that it is tempting to climb too much each day. There was a group of girls that we met who had taken a jeep part way up and were going to do basically just the high point of the trail in 4 or 5 days and then take a jeep back on the other side of the pass. They all ended up getting evacuated due to altitude illness when their "guide" blacked out.

There are lots of schedule suggestions you can find online, most of which fall between 15 to 21 days to complete the whole circuit. You can safely cut days off the decent if you want to take a jeep out, but IMO that cheapens the trip.

Much of the trail is walking on dirt road which you will share with buses and trucks and jeeps, but a fair bit of it is also narrower dirt paths used by people and cattle. I had read that in the busy season the inns / tea houses can all be filled up, but in the off-season there was sometimes only two or three of us in any given town.
>>
>>764388
Guidebooks often recommend bartering with innkeepers for cheaper prices, but honestly the prices are pretty low in the first place coming from North America. We did a little bit of bartering, along with one guy we met and hiked with for a while, but one day we also managed to upset an entire town by "shopping around" for the best price - we ended up leaving the town and hiking for about another two hours until we found a little farm where they took us for the night (without bartering this time).

Everywhere we stayed they provided sheets and blankets, so you don't need to carry anything extra for warmth. The best tasting and cheapest meal at every place you go will always be the dal bhat - lentil curry with rice. I got a yak steak at one place, and it was a nice change but not great. Meat is rare and very expensive for Nepali people. At one place, there were some chickens wandering around and out of curiosity we asked if we could eat one. They were prepared to butcher one for around $25USD, although we declined.

The whole trail itself is quite magnificent. It starts in extremely lush forest, getting lots of rain from the clouds pushed up over the mountains. We were there at the end of May and it was easily over 30C every day in the lower regions - hot and humid.

As the days go and you hike higher, you slowly get to cooler climates at higher altitude, until you eventually get up above the treeline, which is actually somewhere around 4000m.

The top of the pass will basically always have snow due to the high elevation. The climb over the pass is normally done as one big push where you go up about 900m and then down 1000m in the same day.

When you get over the pass, it is a sudden change from wet to dry, and there is several days of hiking in quite arid, almost desert conditions. As you continue to descend and travel south around Annapurna, towards the end of the trail, you get out of the rain shadow and back into the jungle.
>>
File: IMG_8463.jpg (3MB, 4322x2480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8463.jpg
3MB, 4322x2480px
The beginnings would have had to be real beginnings. Alas! Now I see so clearly what I wanted.
Real beginnings are like a fanfare of trumpets, like the first notes of a jazz tune, cutting short tedium,
making for continuity: then you say about these evenings within evenings: "I was out for a walk, it
was an evening in May." You walk, the moon has just risen, you feel lazy, vacant, a little empty. And
then suddenly you think: "Something has happened." No matter what: a slight rustling in the shadow,
a thin silhouette crossing the street. But this paltry event is not like the others: suddenly you see that it
is the beginning of a great shape whose outlines are lost in mist and you tell yourself, "Something is
beginning."

Something is beginning in order to end: adventure does not let itself be drawn out; it only makes
sense when dead. I am drawn, irrevocably, towards this death which is perhaps mine as well. Each
instant appears only as part of a sequence. I cling to each instant with all my heart: I know that it is
unique, irreplaceable—and yet I would not raise a finger to stop it from being annihilated.

This last moment I am
spending—in Berlin, in London—in the arms of a woman casually met two days ago—moment I love
passionately, woman I may adore—all is going to end, I know it. Soon I shall leave for another
country. I shall never rediscover either this woman or this night. I grasp at each second, trying to suck
it dry: nothing happens which I do not seize, which I do not fix forever in myself, nothing, neither the
fugitive tenderness of those lovely eyes, nor the noises of the street, nor the false dawn of early
morning: and even so the minute passes and I do not hold it back, I like to see it pass.
>>
File: 0570035-R1-070-33A.jpg (1MB, 1800x1215px) Image search: [Google]
0570035-R1-070-33A.jpg
1MB, 1800x1215px
>>764404

All of a sudden something breaks off sharply. The adventure is over, time resumes its daily
routine. I turn; behind me, this beautiful melodious form sinks entirely into the past. It grows smaller,
contracts as it declines, and now the end makes one with the beginning. Following this gold spot with
my eyes I think I would accept—even if I had to risk death, lose a fortune, a friend—to live it all over
again, in the same circumstances, from end to end.

But an adventure never returns nor is prolonged.
>>
>>764395
While many of the locals are still friendly, my wife and I got the feeling that most people along the trail have become tired of tourists, and everyone will of course want some of your money. Overall, I would say from the top of my head that we had sort of 50/50 success for the most part with the places we stayed at - simply in terms of how welcoming the owners were.

The route is being continually developed, and they have been building the roads along there for a while. I imagine that there has been significant development in the roads even since I was there in 2013. While this doesn't mean you can't still walk all of it, it does mean more traffic and progressively less scenery.

Even before you get to what used to be the official end of the trail, there are now people who will try to pick you up in a jeep so they can taxi you somewhere. They were not particularly pleased that I wouldn't accept.

I would say from my experience the trip was worth it. It was my first experience really trekking in a scenario where I had no sleeping bag, no tent, and no idea where I was going to sleep at night. While the scenery was great, I wouldn't recommend it if that is your only interest - there are lots of other places you could go with scenery just as nice (both in Nepal and out). This is particularly in consideration of the ongoing development along the trail. However, I'm not sure if there's anywhere else you can do a trek that has this same combination of culture and environment.

If you have any specific questions, I will monitor this thread.
>>
>>764334
Yeah I don't have a gf or much of a social life either.
>>
>>760289
Holy shit, just give it a shot and see what happens. If every little detail is researched and planned, it's not an adventure.

When I went to Iceland I literally only had a backpack with some clothes, phone, wallet with some cash and a plane ticket. Spent two nights in a hostel, hitched a ride up north, climbed a mountain, took a bath in a hot spring, fucked the pretty German girl in the hostel, and generally had a great time.

Just try it and see what happens.
>>
>>760267
Established rules like, if you go to a foreign country it's a great idea to get a legit visa?

Yes, mostly.

Obey rules like, the volcano is spitting out clouds of toxic gas right now. No not this very second but you see all those dead trees on the slope. The got hit with the toxic gas. That's why they are severely fucked up and dying or dead already.

Don't climb the volcano!

Yes, follow those rules.

Don't be afraid to do touristy stuff if it's your first outing, or if you are not in top physical shape.

Don't be afraid to pick up fellow travelers along the way.

My father, brother and my self climbed up Ixta in Mexico. Popocapetal (sp?) was erupting gas clouds at the time. The Mexican army had soldiers making sure no tourists climbed Popo. Dead and dying trees were all over the approach to Popo due to the gas coming out. (Summer 2001.)

We picked up some Europeans who's language we didn't know and a local guide and made a push for the summit.

Everyone except my father, the guide and the strongest male from the Euro team (those three in by far the best shape of us all) got light altitude sickness and could not make the summit. We were too tired to do much strenuous work. We walked back down the next day.

On the way there I got my wallet swiped in the Hidalgo subway, Mexico City. I didn't know it until I was on a bus much later. I lost 400 dollars and all my ID's.
>>
>>760308
how do you live with that heavy ass pessimism. Go drink some bleach or something
>>
>>764803

You must be pretty beta if your only way of getting near pussy is to be an enabler of shit like this
>>
>>765033
I'm just willing to admit that I only criticize "IG whores" because I'm super jealous. I'd give anything to be in a beautiful location with the pretty girl in OP's pic.
>>
>>765260

>holding the camera, not her titties
>>
>>763105
>An adventure is just someone having a terrible time a thousand miles away.

That's poetry you know
>>
>>761888
yeah which fucking forest would that be mate. DoC controls most bush, local body executives control some (especially around auckland)

unless you mean some land actually owned by one of the iwi somewhere, but the state owns most of the nice expanses of bush
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.