[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on spending two weeks in Hawaii backpacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_2016-05-07-13-31-04.png (914KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-07-13-31-04.png
914KB, 1440x2560px
I'm planning on spending two weeks in Hawaii backpacking and I need a good tent. I need something with good ventilation but also offers good rain protection. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
>>
Sorry I should be more specific....

I need a 2 person
Light weight
Durable
Well ventalated
Weather resistant
Preferably earth tone tent
>>
>>758768
do you plan on stealth camping or something
>>
File: cloudburst3tarptent.jpg (68KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
cloudburst3tarptent.jpg
68KB, 640x360px
>>758766
This is what you need probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwA2RzN6r4
>>
>>758768
Also, earth tone really limits you, and is bad for hot weather.
>>
>>758766
Kelty Salida
>>
>>758778
This is great information I need to know. I like the idea of blending in off the beaten path but comfort is my #1 priority.
>>
>>758814
I also like sub $200 but willing to go up to 300 if it's an amazing tent
>>
>>758816

Check out tarp tents website, the double rainbow is below 300 but would be really tight for me and another person.

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

The tarps are only 30D but the do use a nice coating to make up for it.

Probably not going to get much better in your price range.
>>
File: o-BIG-ISLAND-900.jpg (124KB, 900x595px) Image search: [Google]
o-BIG-ISLAND-900.jpg
124KB, 900x595px
>>758766
Shit OP, I'm going to the Big Island for 2 weeks next month.
Planning on spending most of the nights /out/
Which island(s) are you going to?
>>
>>758974
Haven't gotten tickets yet but I'm finding them as cheap as 670ish on google for two weeks. I'm hoping g to go in October to Maui, I've talked to several people who have lived there and they say that's probably the best place for a first timer to go. Me and a buddy are going to backpack pretty much the entire time except couple nights and hitch hike when ever we can.
>>
>>758989
hey i'm from maui and currently living on kauai i could answer some of your questions if you have any.
>>
>>758989
Maui is the tourist island
Of the big 4: Hawaii>Kauai>Maui>Oahu imho
Hawaii has the most /out/ options including 2 13ers to climb, active volcanoes, and lots of the stuff the other islands have, except maybe Kauai that has more serious jungle
And with more room, it's easier to get away from people on Hawaii
>>
File: kokee.jpg (152KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
kokee.jpg
152KB, 648x486px
>>758989
alright seeing as your post was 30 minutes ago i'll just share some info and check back in later.

so maui, assuming your staying at a hotel and your referring to backpacking as your lack of transportation which is fine btw i do it all the time but i have family over there so its alot easier, you'll most likely end up on the west side of the island i.e. kaanapali and lahaina. which is good if your going for the holloween festival. but im pretty over all that noise and i'd like to voice my distaste in the whole atmosphere they paint there, its definately very far from the /out/ist dream we're talking 14 story hotels lining the beach with infinity pools and bars every 200 yards.
on the east side there is a great camping spot called oheo gulch it'll require permits for overnight stay https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/kipahulu.htm other campsites im not too sure about, theres some at like 6400ft but i've never gone to those i get pretty winded at like 4500ft because im a basic as fuck ocean level dweller but i am trying to work on it here.
>>758974
dude im jelly as fuck please posts some threads on your /out/ventures i really want to check out the bigisland
>>759042
yeah i've never been to the bigisland but i would have to probably agree, kauai offers the napali coast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalalau_Trail
boasting one of the most dangerous trails in america but it seems a bit overrun with hippies and tourists.
>Kauai that has more serious jungle and with more room, it's easier to get away from people on Hawaii
kauai has less square miles than maui and by all means is not that big. however it has alot less tourist activity so as for someone living here its alot more enjoyable with alot less people shooting all over the island to see everything in two weeks.
>>
>>759054
Mahalo
We were trying to do the Kalalu trail on this trip as it is on my bucket list, but it was booked for 6 months, as it is a state park that lets people do that.
National parks have fist come first serve options so we decided to spend all of our time on Hawaii and spend less time and $ traveling
>>
>>759065
oh yeah and the tent try some iteration of this, some of them offer full mesh http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Lynx-2-Person-Tent/dp/B008J4AZSQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1462667137&sr=1-5&keywords=alps+mountaineering
>>
>>758778
How are earth tones limiting?
Why are they hotter?
>>
>>758766
OP I have that very tent. I bought the plus version because I am a tallfag, I recommend you do the same, even if you arent. Packs up to be the same size and you get an extra foot of comfy.

Its a great tent, no complaints. Be sure to buy the footprint your size comes with
>>
>>758814
If you're camping in the right spot, no one will see you anyway dummy.

Darker colors would absorb more sunlight and a dark rainfly could potentially heat up your tent during the day. This is only a problem if you arent in the shade already. OP's tent comes with a big fuckoff orange rainfly. There are other color versions but I have the normal/orange one since its all they carry in the store.
>>
>>759065
>>759071
sorry misread your post im serious about that thread though cant wait to see it
>>
>>759084
I promise to take pics and post them here
We plan on climbing Mauna Loa via the Ainapo Trail, trying to get to Waimanu Valley, and backpacking in Volcanoes National Park for a few nights.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.