[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey sc/out/s, how do I sharpen BK2 properly? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey sc/out/s, how do I sharpen BK2 properly?

I've been using my mora for quite some time, and I'm able to sharpen it decently. However, it feels nit very durable, so I got myself a BK2. This beast is heavy, feels nice in hand, but is blunt like baby's bottom.

I think that the glass reinforced plastic that serves as a sheath doesn't help it hold edge either. The stone I use is a random 400/1500 stone I got online.
>>
The stone, if used correctly, should be sufficient. However, don't expect the BK2 to be as sharp as the Mora. I am given to understand it is more of a chopper.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that you lack the proper sharpening technique. I would recommend that you look up some instructional guides or videos online. Bladeforums are also pretty knowledgeable and have a few guides if you know how to find them.

Are you using water or oil as a lubricant while sharpening?

Also, remember to keep a consistent angle while sharpening. Keep your wrist straight and sharpen from the elbow instead.

Good luck!
>>
>>758616

I'm using water as my lubricant. I guess maybe I don't keep consistent angle? For Mora I leave the edge flat on the stone (like Ray Mears shows in his video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm53mCOQTR8), with BK2 I have it lifted slightly, because I practically never see online pictures of BK2 with the black coating stripped, which leads me to suspect I shouldn't lie it flat on the stone. Should I ignore that and just lie the edge flat?
>>
>>758619
IIRC sharpening angle on a BK2 is 23°
You can make an angle guide if you happen to have a circular saw
Or you can hold the knife on the stone at a 90° now angle ithalfway toward stone. Should be 45° now. Angle it halfway again it should be pretty close to 23°
>>
>>758619
i think more people use those ceramic pocket sharpeners than are willing to admit. i can get any knife paper shaving sharp with every day materials, but never hair shaving sharp.

you need to practice with the edge to know what you need to do. ive bricked a bunch of edges that i thought were going to be super sharp. literally couldnt even cut paper, just made this grinding sound on it. point being youll need to practice sharpening to know it, learning techniques online are never satisfactory, they are just guideposts
>>
>>758634
better yet use a black marker on the shiny edge
try to find the angle when all the marker is scraped in one motion
that's your angle
>>
Mark the cutting edge with marker pen so you'll see where you're removing metal, keep an eye on what you're doing and you should be fine. Also don't press too hard on the stone unless the blade is horribly dull/damaged
>>
Getting a consistant angle is key. Honestly, it takes practise. Get a shitty knife and go to town on it.

A good method to use is to start at a high number (7-8 maybe) and do that many strokes on one side of the blade, then do the same on the other side. When you flip back to the original side, do one less stroke per side (so: 7L, 7R, 6L, 6R, 5L, 5R, ect). Keep going till you did 1 stoke on each side. One you finished that, flip that stone over and do it again on the fine side.

When all the sharpening is done, you can strop the blade to get the edge real fine. I use the back of an old leather belt.

If you want to do a quick touchup on the edge, do that stroking method i said above on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug and that knife will slice like a dream.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.