[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have come across many "maybes" but not one for sure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

I have come across many "maybes" but not one for sure answer... What is the pack in the top left? Or even better where to get one. Wish I could buy up the whole packing list in one shot but I'd be happy getting a hold of the pack. Pretty sure it isn't a czech or serbian pack.
>>
>>756432
Could be custom or locally made, OP

In any case you're wanting it because it looks cool when it will be much less functional than readily available alternatives, so you've already fucked up
>>
>>756485
>not wanting to be /fa/ while /out/
>>
>>756490
Why you want to be /fa/ while out? You want to atrack a bear or something you gigantic faggot ass faggot?

Back to tumblr where you belong
>>
>>756495
I want the pack because it looks to be about the right size and build I've been looking for and if it mil surp then I can get it for less expensive than other alternatives.
>>
>>756497
You want it because it looks cool and woodsman-y. That's why you want that kit. You'll buy it and wear it as a fashion statement despite better options being available. What you're trying to do is actually the opposite of what you're idealizing. The ideal that your pictured kit inspires is that of a self made man, lots of handmade gear in that picture, personalized stuff. But what you want to do is click buy it now and have it shipped express to your house so you can play dress up.

Why not take this as an opportunity to strive towards what that kit idealizes? Instead of trying to find a place to buy that cool woodsman gear, why not try your hand at making it yourself? It's an extremely simple design of leather, canvas, and a few buckles. How cool would it be to have your own hand made pack? Then, instead of wearing it as a fashion statement, you could wear it as a symbol of pride, that you idealized a certain image and strove to become that ideal, rather than just clicking buy it now.

I get that the kit looks cool, lots of leather, wool, cotton, handmade stuff; drab, earthy colors. But if you just buy all that stuff you'll simply -look- like your ideal, rather than actually being it.
>>
>>756517
Um... Nope... Still just looking for a good pack. Thanks for the bump though. Maybe someone will see this, and know what this pack is and feel up to sharing that with me. Heading to bed now, hope there is news in the morning and not more fictional nonsense about why I want a sturdy pack followed by no info at all even regarding possible alternatives on the market. As for making my own gear, I have a mechanical singer coming in on friday for just that. Would be cool to take one of these old ones down and get a good pattern to follow-up with. Well see how it goes though.
>>
https://www.duluthpack.com/scout-pack-backpack.html

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/jna-combat-pack-used-surplus/10752
>>
>>756517
Falling for aesthetics instead of ethics is part of growing up tho. I made those mistakes when I was a kid. I learned by trial and error. I totally understand your post and agree with what you say 100%, but truth is "kids" won't give a fuck about it. Nice post tho.
>>
>>756586
>part of growing up

Doesn't that also go the opposite way?

>Well, I could get this tacticool thing with a million features: but people will laugh at me and think I'm weird.
>>
>>756432
>3 knives
>hatchet
>slingshot
What is this? Cosplay?
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 236x314px
>>756432
Found another pic of the same pack & gear but I was unable to pin down exactly who manufactured it.
>>
>>756629
Wow, never seen tbat one before. Thanks for the help. In that pic it looks like one of those wool packs. Not personally a fan of them. I'm probably going to give those mil surp ones I mentioned a shot and if they aren't a sustainable choice just buy some hidden woodsman kit. Thanks for the new pic though. Gives me a few ideas.
>>
>>756581
Huh... The mil surp one looks pretty close. Thank you much. Gives me something to reference while I ask around some of the shops around here. I was worried it was going to be a Duluth pack too, I've not had any experience with them since I can't try before I buy.
>>
>>756593
I assumed that kit came from Europe somewhere since they love their slingshots. As for the 3 knives, you don't pack back-ups?
>>
>>756672
No bigass patch on it so it's unlikely duluth made it.
I think I caught something about it being Serbian in a reverse image search?
They were all pinterest and I don't have an account there, so I couldn't glean much info.

You could probably get someone to knock a copy up for you for not much money.
>>
>>756682
Yeah these shown up all over Pinterest. I just bit the bullet and set up an account a long time ago. Good imagines for project inspiration honestly. I don't recall the Serbian pack having the D rings on the bottom thoigh. They are only $20 so sure worth a shot.
>>
>>756581
So its basically a canvas envelope.
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 210x240px
>>756674
>you don't pack back-ups?
No
But I'm not a bushfag cosplayer who fantasizes about being in a survival situation while /out/
>>
>>756432

What are you using for a ground mat, OP?

>>756859

notsureiftrolling.jpg

...not packing backups makes you sound like a bushfag neverbeenout cosplayer yourself
>>
>>756860
My old issued foam mat mostly.
>>
>>756859
I see one saw, one ax, one neck knife for fine tasks, and one belt blade. Possibly a SAK pouch or oil stone IDK. Each tool has a different purpose, If you don't prefer to carry more than one, and you have never found yourself in a situation where having different cutting tools was helpful, good on you friend.
>>
File: Otzi the Iceman style Backpack.jpg (124KB, 951x472px) Image search: [Google]
Otzi the Iceman style Backpack.jpg
124KB, 951x472px
>>756845
A loadbearing canvas envelope based on an old design.
>>
>>756929
That looks so - damn - gay

just sayin'
>>
>>756940
The guy that came up with the design died in the mountains 5300 years ago. I'm sure back then people made fun of his hand built back too.
>>
>>756954
Well he was actually hunted through the mountains by a mad bunch. Something most have triggered them that much as to leave their comfy fire. Maybe the faggot pack is to blame. We'll never know.
>>
>>756581
>https://www.duluthpack.com/scout-pack-backpack.html
A review there, not sure if trolling or actually this gay:

>You'll feel the heritage behind this traditional voyageur pack. The Scout Pack is a scaled down canoe pack originally thought-up by a Fashion Editor for the New York Times, and a long-time Duluth Pack fan. This ruggedly simplistic backpack takes you from the trail to the sidewalk. Perfect for day hikes, your commute, cycling, school, and everyday.
>>
File: pretty much otzi.png (291KB, 400x615px) Image search: [Google]
pretty much otzi.png
291KB, 400x615px
>>756940
>>756954
>>756967
i think we all know otzi was probably an insufferable fagĂșt
>>
>>756432
can anyone identify all the things in this kit?

im intrigued by is as it looks minimalist but affective.

so far i can see
>jumper(obviously)
>poncho
>axe
>wool blanket
>knife (mora?)
>folding saw
>skinning knife
>sling shot (gay)
>spork
>water container and mug

and the rest?
>next to skinning knife tinder/fire starter bag?
>leath bag next to that??
>three green bags of ??
>little black bottle?
>and that brown rectangle?

what do yall think?
>>
>>756999
fuck yeah i got trips for the first time. also *effective
>>
>>757000
hooooooly fuck! TWICE
>>
>>757001
oh wait. i see whats happening here
>>
>>756999
Far right side is a tarp. Under that is a hammock. Next to the spork I believe is a small square tinder pouch. The soft looking pouch is most likely where the sling and shot is kept. The rectangle formed leather pouch is a possibles pouch, so just about anything can go in there. It was the shot pouch and possibles pouch are what made me figure this was kit from the UK or some such.
>>
>>756999
The little corked bottle could be cooking oil, or hard liquor.
>>
>>756999
It looks like a daypack. I miss some fishing gear there. Can't see the advantage of carrying that little knoife
>>
>>757067
The little corked pouch is actually full of steel balls for his slingshot
>>
>>757069
Fine wood carving tasks, skinning, food prep, small cutting needs, two is one, one is none.
>>
>>757077
Really? That seems like it would be a cumbersome way to retrieve shot. What is the thought process behind that method?
>>
>>757082
Not at all... There's a string that goes across your chest, the pouch hangs at your waist. The "cork" has a string that keeps it from getting lost. You just upend the pouch and the balls will drop out one at a time. Muzzle loaders sometimes use a similar pouch for their projectiles.
>>
File: 20151012_110139i.jpg (927KB, 1494x2067px) Image search: [Google]
20151012_110139i.jpg
927KB, 1494x2067px
>>756593

I don't leave the house without a slingshot and a few 9.5mm steel BBs

It's amazing what you can come home with just through sheer opportunity and having one on you at the time. I'm not saying ''hurr durr live orf th' laaand'' but when the pheasants are in season it's easy to fill your roasting tin once a week
>>
>>756517
nice
>>
>>757146
I'd rather just carry a cheap air pistols for pheasants. That catapult looks extremely hard to master the aim. How many shots did you miss before you got that bird?
>>
>>756587
Does each molle loop count as a feature? Some of the tacticool designs are good, but they would be just as good without a lot of the bullshit. All I've used my loops for was jury rigged compression straps and I don't use a lot of the internal pockets.
>>
>>757301
>That catapult looks extremely hard to master the aim

Anon, it's something children can figure out pretty easily. I don't mean to sound condescending but stateside slingshots are owned almost exclusively by kids and survival fags.
>>
>>757906
Post a video of you hitting a soda can every time at 50 feet with a slingshot and then you can be as condescending as you wanna be.
>>
>>757146
What slingshot is that?
What are some other small slingshots like that I can get?
>>
>>757906
I shoot instinctively ( maybe hard to explain) and don't aim, I just sort of know how to hold and when to release. doing this I'll hit what I'm wanting to maybe 8/10 shots

>>757938

http://vid212.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/urban_paladin/video/seagull.mp4

only shooting vid I have ever made, clean kill on a seagull at about 25m

>>757956
it's just a bit of shaped 15mm thick HDPE. you can get loads of templates online just slap it to a bit of plastic and cut to shape, you can make one with minimal tools
>>
>>757986
What did the seagull tasted like?
>inb4 chicken
>>
>>757880
I'm not actually a big tacticool fan. I'm just pointing out that aesthetic things that won't raise eyebrows will often be low on features and modern design.

eg. Duluth scouts.
>>
>>757986
for a bird of it's size remarkable little meat on it. a bit gamy but by no mean inedible. I wouldn't make a habit of eating them as they are like rats with wings but as a one off *shrug* it was years ago - it didn't kill me or give me any funky diseases
>>
>>758133
I might get into the slingshot thing. I guess practice makes perfect. Have you ever tried to (or did) get a rabbit or hare?
>>
>>758142
just a few like

as britbong there isn't really much bigger to hunt here and owning firearms is out of reach to the majority of the population, and bow hunting is illegal

even air rifles attract a lot of unwelcome attention thanks to the media, I had a brush with the local armed response unit some year back because a panicky dog walker spotted me stalking in a field.

I've been hunting solely by slingshot ever since. daft thing is that the little green one hits harder than a non regulated air rifle, and a lot of the guys I know hunt with set ups nearing 2x that limit ( 22-23ft/lbs)

given the size, weight and usefulness for small game they are pretty hard to beat
>>
>>758157
Nice. Thanks for answering bro.
>>
speaking of which is waxed canvas even a thing compared to balistic nylon?
>>
>>759431
It works if that's what you mean. It is far more easy to work with too, as in sewing with it. It can also be used as a tinder where as the nylon can not. Waxed canvas is also more water resistant than untreated nylon. The weave of the material also greatly changes the characteristics of the fabric. Depends on the application as well. You'd not choose a cotton rope over a synthetic material rope, unless you were looking for a particular property over another.
>>
Neither am I, and while there is definitely more variation for tacticool bags most of the big names in tacticool have a few bags that look more subtle but still retaining plenty of features. Some of em are almost too subdued.
>>
>>759431
I've owned both and not really. It's heavier and doesn't really have a greater tensile strength than a good nylon fiber, and since it's mostly only used by "boutique" manufacturers it isn't any cheaper (unless you buy untreated canvas and do it yourself, but we'll get to that) The wax to re-treat it is less noxious than the stuff you treat sil-nylon with, but it's a messy and time consuming task versus or spray or wash in treatment.

So unless you're really dedicated to the craft aspect of it, it's kind of a PITA versus a moderately priced nylon bag.
>>
>>756999
Fillet knife. For fishing.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.