[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Compass Thread General aka /cg/ Hey boys, what compass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: Kompas_Sofia.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Kompas_Sofia.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Daily Compass Thread General aka /cg/

Hey boys, what compass are you guys currently using?

I've been doing the 9C method recently and really enjoying it. Provides a really good sense of security when I'm innawoods.
>>
File: DSC00050.jpg (564KB, 2200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00050.jpg
564KB, 2200x1467px
>>755779
Honestly, for 95% of my /out/ activities a Suunto Clipper and a map is more than enough. On multi-week hikes I also carry pic related plus a Rapex.
>>
Pic related, does everything I need it to.
>>
>>755779
>what compass are you guys currently using?
internal
with a bit of practice you can always tell where north is.
>>
>>755872
So you don't use topo maps?
>>
>>755925
i just don't use a compass. you look around and you know where you are anyways. especially if you kept track.

in great fog there could be trouble with visual bearings i never tried.
>>
>>755872
>with a bit of practice you can always tell where north is.
Not always. You just haven't been out enough to realize that yet.
>>
>>755943
>where N is
>always
If you need a compass/GPS/map/whatever to know this shit you really shouldn't wander too far off the beaten path.
All devices can falter or be lost.
I'm not saying don't go /out/innawoods. I'm just saying stick to the established marked paths.
>>
>>755974
Not the Anon you are replying to, but in some terrains, for example the high North, it is mighty hard to tell North just by female intuition, and somewhat North is not exactly North. Thats pretty much the reason why the compass is a thing for centuries.
>>
>>755943
nah, i get lost in buildings and sometimes turn around in the city never happens out in the woods.

also i have the phone with gps if i do get turned around or heavy fog fucks up my senses.

so i don't fret compasses.
>>
>>755980
>high North
you mean above the arctic line?
>>
>>755974
>>756090

I mean, what if it is dark? Or flat with trees? overcast? Canyons or thick forest?

Your statements make me really question you level of experience.

Also. a compass does so much more than tell you which way is north is.
>>
>>756090
Also also

>relying on battery powered china shit to save your life.
>>
File: lakes.jpg (87KB, 789x526px) Image search: [Google]
lakes.jpg
87KB, 789x526px
>>756092
Not necessarily, more like a certain terrain, like pic related, summer in canoe or winter on skis, you do not have a lot of useful navigation points, the land is uniform for hundreds of miles and the sun is not much of help either.
Now electronic gadgets are prone to failure on either water or in extreme cold, so it is wise to have map and compass and know how to use them.
>>
Total poor fag here. Is a $5~10 compass even worth the dosh?
>>
>>756111

even a <$1 compass, the kind they glue to whistles and shit will be fairly accurate.
>>
>>756111
You can get an ok tier brunton for ~$10, but it is more important to know how to use it.
>>
>>755779
I don't get it. If I were to get lost in the woods, I'd be taking a general heading towards a nearby road or river and follow that to civilization. What real purpose does a compass have?
>>
>>756154
Let me guess, you dayhike at most? Somewhere where civilization is at most 10 miles away and you got nice terrain for orientation?
>>
File: really-dense-fog.jpg (20KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
really-dense-fog.jpg
20KB, 800x600px
>>755974
Boy scout tricks don't always work, m8.
>>
I have a regular compass, a Casio pathfinder watch, an iPhone, and a garmin GPS. They all read differently.
>>
>>755872
>>755938

obviously never been up a mountain in low vis conditions
>>
>>756160
You guessed wrong.
>>
>>756183
penny trick, moss, echology, vinting
Fog is nothing, dark no prob, rain, snow, weather... meh
I've been up, I've been in caves. No need for tools when you understand.
>>
File: triangulation.jpg (72KB, 434x318px) Image search: [Google]
triangulation.jpg
72KB, 434x318px
>>756154
>What real purpose does a compass have?
For one thing, when we find your remains we can pinpoint the location for your family by triangulation.
>>
File: moss all over.jpg (831KB, 1080x819px) Image search: [Google]
moss all over.jpg
831KB, 1080x819px
>>756364
>moss
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (321KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
321KB, 1920x1080px
Brunton Masterrace reporting in
>>
>>756154
Navigating in the woods without pre-established path is way harder than navigating in a city. You have to circumvent obstacles constantly and you will most certainly deviate from your target direction. It's really easy to walk in a circle or a completely different direction by accident if you have no point of reference. You won't be able to orientate by the sun in a thick forest either. A target will most likely only be visible from an elevated position, like a hill, mountain or a climbed tree. And as you can imagine, having to climb trees constantly to orientate yourself is a time- and energy consuming dissipation of your time. All of these problems can be solved by simply using a compass.
>>
>>755853
Recta and Rapex, huh? Can't go wrong with that I guess.
>>
Just feeling like you can jedi where birth is doesn't help you truly navigate. You will walk in circles and. .....Fuck it. I shouldn't have to explain this.
>>
>>756264
i have last time i spent a night up there was huge fog. didn't got lost so your point is moot.
>>
>>755854
except providing a shiny surface to signal with
>>
File: suunto_mca_in.jpg (282KB, 1200x1576px) Image search: [Google]
suunto_mca_in.jpg
282KB, 1200x1576px
>>757800
>>
>>757794
If you bivouac til it clears that kind of proves his point.
>>
>>756412
>Navigating in the woods without pre-established path is way harder than navigating in a city.
my experience is the opposite tho. i get lost in the cities easily but never got lost in the woods.

but i have to admit we don't have very big woods if you start in any direction or just walk randomly you will be out in a day so there is that.

my point is i do always know where i am out there.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.