[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS and Navigation General >Devices >Apps >Maps So

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
GPS and Navigation General
>Devices
>Apps
>Maps

So what's the best way to have maps/navigation on a smartphone when out of cell service?

Will be for both hiking and off road motorbiking trips

Where do you get your maps?
Is .gpx the gold standard (for poor cunts)?
>>
>>754053
I use the "geo tracker" app. I download .gpx routes from websites like "thewalkingenglishman" and use that when I'm out hiking. It doesn't require signal and instead works entirely off gps.

The only problem is battery life. I figure with a compass you could save some battery life and just use your GPS now and then to check you're on the right route.

Alternatively just buy a gps. They're purpose built and have better battery life.
>>
>>754053
.gpx is the golden standard yeah. being out of cell service shouldn't matter for gps apps as they contact satellites not the phone network.

Random but I am planning an expedition this summer -- none of it is really .gpx logged (yet) what I am thinking of is using OS (ordnance survey) and IGN (french equivalent) online mapping and exporting expanded route maps as PDF or something to access on a kindle for the battery life. Obviously this means navigating by hand but should save a lot of space and money vs paper maps.

I am planning on using a dedicated GPS plotter to export the route as .gpx once I am done.

Thoughts?

>>754070
if possible try killing the wifi/bluetooth and phone signal (without killing the GPS) -- will improve battery life somewhat, but they are all powered by the same module (the main processor) in a phone, so it will still be less efficient than a dedicated unit.
>>
>>754053
>best way
learn compass & map and do NOT rely on an electronic device that can fail, run out of charge, get wet and die, etc, etc etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (365KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
365KB, 2000x2000px
Is it actually good, or is it just a meme?
>>
>>754159
You will end up with a PDF file the size of jumbo jet. Just download the closest layers (10 for general view and the last 3 available for detail) both in satellite and vectorial maps and you'll be good to go. I do this to build routes I want to explore and use oruxmaps. To simple and known trails i use osmand
>>
>>754199
hmm that's a good point. I like the idea of using a kindle though as I like the eink and kind of want to unplug. That looks like an android app you've linked?

I suppose I could try and separate the PDF maps, OR, try to export the maps into a better format.

Context: I'm planning on 'thru hiking' about 1500 miles in Europe. No point in papermaps as some of them I will only be on for a day and hiking in a 'line' across.
>>
>>754210
Yes. Oruxmaps and osmand are android based. I explore a lot of terrain and plan my routes with Google earth, build possible tracks and export them in kml or gpx format. Orux reads kml files and I can add more commentaries into the waypoints. Osmand reads gpx only. Btw, I recommend that you get a cheap cellphone with small battery. Mine is 1500mha, so a simple 10k power bank gives me a week+ of charges. I thought about using my tablet but it consumes too much power and takes me 3k+ mha to charge it.
>>
File: 1397020743659.gif (2MB, 269x314px) Image search: [Google]
1397020743659.gif
2MB, 269x314px
OP here.

So I'm trying to figure all this out. There are so many ways to skin this cat, and researching the basics is surprisingly challenging (might just be me)

My goal is to use it for dual-sport motorbiking in state forests. Having a 100% pre-planned route isn't a priority.
I'd like to be able to ride around fire-roads in a state forest, then take off down a smaller trail, but still be able to navigate my way back out later.

So should I just get MotionX GPS on my iPhone and download trail maps of that entire state forest from OpenSourceMaps (OSM files?). I have shit loads of space on my phone and will have USB power from the bike.
Where do I download satellite layers from? How about topo layers?

Thanks guise.
>>
>>754513
Never used motionx. I used viewranger and later started with osmand in my iphone, because I could (although I never done it) build my own maps with Mobile Atlas. I suggest you install it (it's free) and try it for a week, if you don't like it then go spend your shekels on a paid app. Read this: http://osmand.net/features?id=online-maps-plugin
>>
File: 158-FILE0301_-L.jpg (102KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
158-FILE0301_-L.jpg
102KB, 800x600px
>>754053
>.gpx the gold standard
GPX is a file format for location "user data" - waypoints, routes, and tracks. KML/KMZ's Google's that are fairly universal; a little more features with those formats than GPX.

>>754070
>just buy a gps. They're purpose built and have better battery life.
This. Smartphones and GPS's are converging, but they're not there yet.

>>754513
>dual-sport motorbiking
Would definitely recommend a dedicated receiver, in a good mount (RAM mount). If you really want to extend battery life, you can wire many of those units right to 12v.

I ride with a 76Cx - Not the newest/fanciest/well-featured, but it's solid/reliable and works well.
On the moto I have CityNavigator loaded for all of US/Canada/Mexico. CityNav gets you all the roads/highways, in addition to a lot of OHV/dirt trails (Majority of the OHV trails near my place are on that map) and they're all routable with turn-by-turn guidance. That entire mapset is about 2GB.
CityNav also includes POI's like hotels/restaurants/gas stations, so if you're off adventuring you can press "Find", "Fuel", and it'll populate a list of fuel stations along with address/phone near you. Pick one, "Go To", and it'll tell you how to get there.

Logging, I turn on tracks when I leave the house or wherever I ride from. Turn it off at the end of the ride, then download all the data from the receiver to my computer.

Knowing how to use the tools effectively is more important than having the latest/greatest shit.

I tried a 78, newer model of what I have ... Got it for additional space/features (specifically birdseye aerial imagery on the map page) ... I found it really difficult to use, ended up selling it a month or two later and buying another 76Cx. Hated the way it organized files on the card, hated the user interface (fonts are basically unreadable on the screen), common features are buried deep in the menus. The topo mapsets I have wouldn't install properly on it either.
>>
File: fffff.jpg (196KB, 766x600px) Image search: [Google]
fffff.jpg
196KB, 766x600px
Buying a GPS can be a little overwhelming, there's a lot of options/features/accessories and a wide range of prices.

Garmin's pretty much "the one". Maps on sites like gpsfiledepot are mostly compatible with Garmin, hit-or-miss with other brands.

DeLorme has a neat system called "InReach", if you want a satellite communicator system that tags along with your GPS.

I wouldn't recommend any receiver that doesn't have a color display and expandable memory.

From there ... figure out your budget (Don't forget about maps and accessories/mounts/cables/etc), what features you want, and what features you don't care about.
Narrow down the list and find a unit that meets your specs.
>>
>>754724
Maps.me is what I use. They should be adding topo soon, sooner if more people bitch about it. It's free, global, and works offline.

If you're doing a thru, you probably don't want to carry a dedicated device anyway. Even a cellphone that's inactive still has emergency services and plays music, games or videos, a major morale booster when you go days between seeing another person.
>>
>>754743
So you only have access to vectorial maps? What's the source, do they have level curves?
>>
>>755107
Not sure, but from how it displays I would guess it's vectorial, or it should have longer loading times between views. I don't really know what a level curve is, but I assume it has to do with the mathematics behind the smoothness of curved lines, yes? On curves roads, it's pretty accurate when zoomed in to an appropriate distance. Not sure about the source, but I do recall it was opensource, managed by a group I'm sure I'd heard of before.
>>
File: GLENVIL2.jpg (25KB, 307x195px) Image search: [Google]
GLENVIL2.jpg
25KB, 307x195px
>>755277
A vectorial map is like a diagram, think the average google maps display (not satellite), level curves are the lines that show elevation, in the pic for ants I'm attaching, see how different lines have different numbers that indicate the altitude in feet (in this case).

So level curves are important when you are wondering in mountains and for /out/door purposes in general because they can help you guess about water sources, etc.
>>
>>755289
So level curves are indicative of topographical maps? They haven't implemented that yet, unfortunately.
>>
>>755295
K, thanks for the input. I guess we are not their main target.
>>
>>755289
This isnt Glenville WV is it?
>>
>>755314
Yes
>>
>>755314
dannnnnnng

I spend a lot of time on the Coal River.
>>
>>754199
>>754225
Oruxmaps is what I use as well and I like it, for the most part. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you figure out what YOU want out of it, it can be really nice. Do yourself a favor and find a few good map files to use offline.
>>
>>755323
>>755348
>>
>Oruxmaps

So, is mememaps better than Locus (free)?
Consider I'll use the same maps in both.
>>
>>755400
Locus free displays annoying ads. Orux doesn't. Its very complete and yes, it takes time to learn how to use it. By time I mean a couple hours playing with it and it's options. It's not Google maps tier easy to use, but it ain't rocket science neither.
>>
So I got an e-mail back from Maps.me:

[Hi, Anon!

We're planning to add bicycle and pedestrian routing (with elevation data in mind) in the nearest future. After few releases I think we'll start to show elevation changes on the map too.

Thanks,
MAPS.ME]

Personally, I think it's a great app. But they need a push from the hiking community to get topographical maps implemented. They need to know that is isn't just a small portion of their user base, but that a large number of hikers need this. I know... 4Chan isn't my personal army, but I truly believe that it would be a benefit to everyone on /out/ if we all sent a quick e-mail to [email protected] to let them know how important it is to have topographical maps available.
>>
TrekBuddy.Net - Runs on all phones except apple.
Works with Raster maps and a LOT of other stuff.

But more than half the time I just check my Nokia and the old forestry roads are already in there - Major walking tracks also [Australia].
And if tracks aren't in the phone I get waypoint files from others who have done it ; OR i make my own waypoints from Google-Earth and use a converter [GPS Babel] to change them from KML to GPX.
Just paste the GPX files into the phone - it recognizes them.
Phone will do low-intensity GPS, with little screen-time, in Airplane mode for Three days on a charge [but I got a BIG phone - it's mostly battery]
>>
>>755815
Nah m8, there are better alternatives. If they don't keep up is their problem.
>>
Just tried maps.me today and can confirm that it sucks dicks. I hope they stop """"developing"""" that piece of shit right now. It's a shit A SHIT
>>
>>754053
I use US Topo Maps Free on android.

It has all the usgs topo maps available for free, the old map style and the new layered digital kind. The night before I head out I enable saving to cache and view the area I'm going to. Then when I'm out I can see exactly where I am on a usgs topo map, no cell service required since the maps are saved on the phone. I've been using it for years.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.