[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Man, i listened to you guys and i watched season 1 of alone and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 1460940226737.jpg (413KB, 500x694px) Image search: [Google]
1460940226737.jpg
413KB, 500x694px
Man, i listened to you guys and i watched season 1 of alone and the first episode of season 2. It was awesome. However, it has inspired me. I would love to test myself and see how long i could last with a select amount of items, except i would bring a rifle and maybe even a pistol with me. I think it would be really neat researching the type of semi permanent structure to build that could fend off wind and rain but sustain heat, hunting game, setting traps for small game marine life, and nets for salmon cod rockfish etc. I would have to bring books with me though, a lot of them to keep my mind busy. I would do a lot of carving as well and I would make my shelter as good as possible always making improvements. I know this will attract a lot of hate but does anyone not feel the same? Just dropping off the globe for a bit, testing your limit, and finding yourself? I think the season 1 winner is an inspiration. i won't give a name or how long he survived but he did really well and won 500G doing it too! Anyways throw some thoughts at me, i think it would be a great way to find yourself, but would be extremely draining and difficult at times.
>>
>>747953
dry af
>>
>>747953
Every day, man. Going to school in the city blows
>>
>>747953
i always laugh when people say they'd need something to keep them busy as if hunting and checking your traps and checking your fishing nets and collecting firewood and improving your shelter isn't too much work already
>>
>>748390
no i do see where you're coming from. but theres a lot of darkness and time where you can't do anything, including intense rain. wouldn't you love to just read and learn by your fire when you can't get work done because of restrictions?

>>748063
i feel you anon. i currently live on the west coast of ireland, but I'm moving back to the bronx in mid may for good. this summer , even though I'm in good shape from playing rugby the last 3 years, I'm going to get in better shape and continue learning the outdoors, do some limited supply camping , practice building shelters etc !
>>
>>748063
whats some of your ideas / goals? what city?
>>
>>748423
>darkness

Sleep because you're too fucking tired to do anything else and morning comes early.

>rain

Work outside in the rain because if you don't, you won't get your work done in the time you need to get it done.

>can't get work done because of restrictions?

That's not how life is while /out/ alone, you have gear and clothing to protect you from the elements and you must/need to get your work done on time. Dicking around and not doing work can start a downward spiral that you may not recover from.

The only time you can stop working is when you are ahead of the game. That means having all your building done and have in your larder at least 3 months worth of food. Only then are you truly safe to sit down for a day and read a book or do whatever. Most people never look that far ahead. They end up returning to civilization or they die. The Wilderness is no place for dreamers to live without support. Only hard-working knowledgeable workers can go it alone in the wilderness for extended periods of time.

Things are much easier when you have more than 1 person. Humanity developed society by specializing in areas. One person hunts/forages, another builds, another grows crops/raises animals, etc. Division of labor is the easiest way to get things done and to have recreational time.

>>747953
It is good for society to have these thoughts and to go out once in a while and do them. It means we leave in a time of enough peace that there are no real challenges in our lives. These specific activities can help keep society ready and able for times of unrest, disaster, or war, should it ever occur. A society that goes into hard time without the skills to rough it is a society doom to never recover properly.

I do something in between. I own a farm. I can be as /out/ as I wish and sustain myself, but I don't have to leave society behind to do it. I keep very important social ties and still get the challenges I need.
>>
>>748441
I'm in Philadelphia studying biomedical engineering. My plan is to move out to the middle of nowhere and live on a small farmette surrounded by the woods. I'm studying BME so I can save up to travel the world and eventually start my farm
>>
>>748469
can i have your email?

i can explain my reasoning from previous posts, no worries. While yes, sleep is vital, it will be completed. However, there really is a lot of unpredictable weather involved, and there are seasons with lots of dark time, more than needed to sleep. i guess it depends on timing.

I do agree, dicking around can get you in trouble. I don't plan too. Be productive during the day, sleep during the night, and if you can find an hour in between per day thats handy.

I however do look ahead. My shelter would be organized, i would have a dry safe spot to store my fire wood in advance, in the meantime I'm looking into how to store meat for extended periods of time, how to get the most nutrients out of local plant and marine life, etc.

i am no dreamer. I'm physically fit. I'm tall and strong. i can handle myself. you own a farm, thats awesome. i live in ireland currently and when I'm not in college I'm up in donegal or galway to do the turf. i know what hard work is , when I'm in new york i have the worst bartending schedule a man can ask for. but i can balance. i see how you mention the division of work. is it something to pursue with a friend with equal abilities? i want challenges in my life, i have goals, i have a bucket list, but i am not a dreamer in any sense of the word. I'm a do-er.

you are well spoken , but there is no rule that says i can not become knowledgable, and prepare myself. I'm already hard working.

>>748473
man i love philly so much. its a drive but I'm a big eagles fan.. funny enough I've only been to 76ers / phillies games haha. got to see my eagles this fall but aint the same without my man vick.. bradford will do for now. stayed around Temple U , philly is like the perfect mixture between rough/ok neighborhoods. actually planning to spend a summer there for a business internship

you got the right degree in mind, nice money, definitely enough for your plan. philly is a great place though enjoy it while you can
>>
>>748473
also the things i would do for a pats philly cheese steak right about now.
>>
>>748060
dry
>>
>>748884
dryy
>>
>>748868
As far as cities go it's my favorite. Went to a few flyers games, and actually got to warm up on the ice there with my college team. Where you from?
>>748872
>pats
Cmon, man
>>
>>748868
>is it something to pursue with a friend with equal abilities?

Yes. Doubly so if you become injured or sick for a few days or worse.

The best thing that has not been said in this thread, very unlike all other threads on the subject, is "escape" or "get away from", lines of thought. Everything has been, "challenge" and "ability". Had it been "escape" or "get away from" I would have given my stock advice on seeking a few months of professional mental counseling in order to make sure the decision to do this is sound. These latter type of people normally just need help in their lives in order to deal with stressful problems.

It is refreshing that this isn't the case ITT.
>>
>>748968
i appreciate the compliment. i love my family and my girlfriend, my life is good, and will be if i start really working harder and doing better in some areas. but i have nothing to run away from. I have stressful problems like everyone but i know what i need to do in order to deal with them

I really wish i could seek out some sort of mentor to continue learning about the outdoors. do you know of any process to do this?

i do notice that pattern as well btw. they want to become the next death upon boarding the magic school bus after eating the wrong berry.

i do think you're right about bringing a second person, however i think that would be a mental blow to me, i would not feel as accomplished at the end... while i am not a person who seeks out long periods of solitude, i still do know you're right logically.

especially looking at an example such as Vancouver island.

predators that won't think twice before taking care of you ; cougars who travel great distances during the night.. 30x the strength of human smell.. ability to leap and climb.. attack from behind..
black bears who can become really defensive around their den/cubs/game trails.. don't know about moose/coyotes/wolves either but I'm sure they'd be around...

a lot of my decisions will be centered around location choice. i always wonder where i will find myself when i make my final decision.
>>
>>748977
>I really wish i could seek out some sort of mentor to continue learning about the outdoors. do you know of any process to do this?

The quickest and most consistent way would be to pay for it. Take survivalist training courses.

Ancient Pathways
Jack Mountain Bushcraft School
Mountain Shepherd Wilderness Survival School
Boulder Outdoor Survival School
Tom Brown, Jr.'s Tracker School
Maine Primitive Skills School
Survival Training School of California
Mountain Scout Survival School
Wilderness Awareness School
Aboriginal Living Skills School
The Pathfinder School

You will learn a great deal from people who are professionals. It will be at every challenge level you think you can do. There are actually people who tour these schools doing 2-4 of them a year.
>>
>>747953
I would love to do this. However I agree with other anons here, hard work or you are ded, been watching season 2 and already 2 people looked at their shelters and said they look like shit but they are done and oh well, they g Ave rain gear, fucking don that shit and keep working, you slept well the day before, you have food and tools mother fuckers, all you need us to put the work in making a bed off the fucking ground and finding a way to use your big ass tarps. People literally wasting a chance at .5 million because not wanting to put in a few days of hard work. What a mindfuck
>>
>>749163
i was so upset when that former military black lad just gave up on quits after hearing a few bears. its just cringy and embarrassing, i don't mean to be rude... i could never look my kids or wife in the face ever again id feel so ashamed. at least give it your best shot. same thing season 1.. half the people were done within the first few days, all with somewhat of an experience outdoors and months to prepare for this.

are you serious about doing this?

>>749012

thank you i really appreciate it! i am going to look into it this summer, screen shotted !
>>
>>749835
first few days is an exaggeration actually, i really should say the first 4-7 days it was down to half the people
>>
>>749837
dryy
>>
>>750818
dry
>>
>>751199
dry
>>
>>752598
dry
>>
>>750818
man that aint no bump, that just dry
>>
>>747953
what did you watch?
>>
>>752889
alone
>>
>>752914
dry
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.