[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a water filter that won't break if exposed to sub-freezing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: mountains.jpg (57KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
mountains.jpg
57KB, 600x800px
Is there a water filter that won't break if exposed to sub-freezing temperature?
>>
>>746253
carbon, rocks, sand and a plastic container.
>>
>>746253
so... an ice filter? [spoiler]just melt and boil your ice you dumbass[/spoiler]
>>
will a girl kiss me if I can filter things in cold weather?
>>
>>746253
>>746306
No.

Get a Sawyer, or fuck it, even a lifestraw to appease the shills, and just put it in your sleeping bag when you go to bed.
>>
>>746295
I know there's alternate things like that, just looking for a standard water filter. Thanks though.
>>746305
Water can flow below freezing, and sometimes temperatures dip below freezing at night even when they're above freezing with open water during the day.
>>746343
I have a Sawyer, I was just hoping to get something that can withstand sub-freezing temperatures. I guess I'll have to go with >>746295's suggestion or an alternate method like boiling water or something.
>>
>>746354
>or an alternate method like boiling water or something
I was going to ask you that. Why not just Boiling water? What are you planning to use as fuel if that is a concern? What are you planning to do?
>>
>>746359
I want something simple and compact to take on hikes, long distance bike rides, etc. I have a Sawyer Mini and it's really convenient, I can just stop at a stream and drink right out of it. No need to carry a big pot or anything else, no need to get a fire going, etc. For now I'll just keep using my Sawyer mini, I just want to figure out the best option for when temperatures will drop below freezing. Is there a good compact, portable, simple option?
>>
>>746305
melting and boiling all your water takes a lot of fucking time and fuel, there's reasons to look for alternatives.
>>
>>746625
>Is there a good compact, portable, simple option?

As far as physical filters go, not that I know. An alternative will be water purification tablets with a cloth to filter any little thing that can be in the water.
>>
>>746253

No.

/thread
>>
>>746253
DELETE THIS REEEEEE
>>
>>746253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScVMjkhWPc
>>
>>746354
>boiling water can replace a water filter

Boiling only kills bacteria, it doesn't remove impurities. And the impurities are usually the most dangerous part about drinking from rivers and such. So no, boiling can't replace a water filter.
>>
>>746253
No. What freezes is the water left in the tube like structures that make up the filter. They break and then you don't know the quality of the water.
>>
>>747668
That may be slightly accurate if he is camping along the river in the city. He will be fine anywhere else. You must work for lifestraw.
>>
>>747693
You can literally just use some active coal, sand and gravel and make one. You act like you have to buy some overpriced bullshit.

Yeah sure feel free to just drink from a river, but make sure to check that there isn't a city or factory somewhere upstream. You shouldn't just drink from a river that you aren't sure is clean. But it's your health.
>>
>>747746
Read better. I told him boiling was fine and that HE sounds like a salesman for lifestraw.
>>
>>747751
Literally what
>>
y do girls like kissing guys who filter things well?
>>
File: 1442427290970.jpg (113KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1442427290970.jpg
113KB, 500x667px
>>747764
>tfw failed my filtering exam 2 years in a row
>>
>>746253
A pump style filter with a ceramic element like an MSR miniworks.

But they're heavier and more complicated than a Sawyer. The replacement elements aren't cheap, either.
>>
>>747979
A ceramic filter will break below freezing.
>>
>>746253
>public display of affection

Wow, how cool and great your lives must be, am I rite?
>>
>>748391
OP here pic isn't me
>tfw no gf
>>
>>747979
I've used a gravity bag and an MSR at about freezing temperatures, the MSR hand pump will start to move EXTREMELY slow as ice crystals build up but it can be avoided by using neoprene gloves and keeping the pump in the host water as you pump.

For the gravity bag, I just ran the hose through in front of my jacket while I was standing near a fire and it filtered fine- but you have to make sure all the water gets out so it doesn't destroy the filter element as >>747687 stated.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.