[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /out/, anyone have grizzly bear experience or live in an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: index.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
hey /out/, anyone have grizzly bear experience or live in an area where grizzlies frequent?

i am moving to alaska and i will be living along a salmon run on the south coast. i plan on doing a lot of canoe camping and other /out/ stuff, exploring the different parks, etc.

i have plenty of black bear experience. if you shout and run at them they bolt. but grizzlies are a little more intimidating.

i hear from online sources that you are supposed to deescalate grizzly encounters by laying face down on the ground if they approach close enough to make contact, and have bear spray on you as a deterrent.

i hear from other people, though, that you should really be armed when going /out/ in grizzly territory in case things turn ugly. so, im seriously considering picking up a .44

i dont want to be the dipshit that lost his cool and slayed a majestic beast unnecessarily, though, b/c i got scared and misread the bear's body language

anyone got any advice or tips for me?

also general bear stories thread
>>
>>744301
Get a 44.
>>
File: image.jpg (396KB, 3767x2128px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396KB, 3767x2128px
>>744301
Idk about you, but fuck laying down if a giant grizzly is charging me.

How many anons here carry a gun and bear spray? Always sounds like one or the other, but the OP got me thinkin about possibly carrying both. Spray the thing first so you don't have to kill it, and then the gun as a backup.

Only thing with that is if the bear spray doesn't work, it will probably sufficiently pissed off and you won't even have time to reach for a gun.
>>
>>744310
Both are effective

I would personally carry a gun.
>>
Do you guys realize the speed these things are capable of? Either a gun or spray are useless unless you are clint eastwood spaguetti western tier fast shooter.
>>
>>744678
>he doesn't shoot from the hip
Rookie
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 768x761px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 768x761px
>>744301
I laugh at the retards on here who carry fifteen knives and a machine gun in the lower 48 to defend against black bears. As you said they scare easy and some are not much bigger than a large mastiff/ St. Bernard at the lower end of the weight spectrum. The best defense against them is knowledge.

Grizzly however are a whole nother fucking story. They will rip you limb from limb without a problem. Massive and powerful creatures capable of killing you in one swipe. I would be packing serious heat wherever you plan on camping near them and also purchase a bear canister

Pic very related
>>
>>744686
Is that doctored?
>>
>>744686
> in the lower 48

If you are going to write that shitty line every fucking time you post you might aswell get a tripcode so we can filter you neckbeard
>>
If you're worried about brown bear you need 3 things:

-Bear sprary
-.44/.357 mag
-proper practice with both items

If you are careful, and follow all three points you should be fine in general. Grizzly are some scary fuckin animals.
>>
>>744717
>Grizzly are some scary fuckin animals

Isn't a grizzly just a bear? Is it a different species or subgroup? What's the difference between a bear and a grizzly? Non american btw
>>
>>744723

Grizzly is a type of bear in america, it is considerably bigger than the other major type of bear in america, the black bear. Black bear are generally scared of people and small, while grizzly are fucking huge and scary.
>>
I live in Interior Alaska and I've started hiking this year. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm going to buy a 10mm for protection.

I also made a thread on /k/. It's pretty related.
>>>/k/29679396

The consensus is either a high caliber revolver, a shotgun, or a 10mm with extra magazines.
>>
Never carried when I lived in Alaska
Bears are pussies, yes even grizzlies
>>
>>744749
You need to be an adult to post here anon.
>>
>>744748
1. awareness and non retarded behavior in Grizz territory, this will help prevent incidents and thats the most important thing

2. Bear spray, because you are not John fucking Wayne, and spray and pray works pretty efficiently in this case

3. large caliber handgun or rifle, but you better better be a check of a shot, if you miss or only wound, you still be proper fucked
>>
Would my .45 suffice? Not trying to spend money on another gun at this time. Was thinking about getting an 8 or 10 round combat Wilson clip for my 1911 just in case
>>
>>744816
*Wilson combat, sorry on 4 hours of sleep right now
>>
>>744688
No

>>744690
I have no idea what you're talking about you psychopath I've never used that phrase on here before....
>>
Regarding the shooting thing... consider this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYTVPNbldc0

Bears are fuckin fast
>>
>>744749
how so? could you explain why you think grizzlys are pussies? did you fuck one?

>>744748
wouldnt a 10mm just piss it off and turn a potentially curious bear into a killer bear? i mean, 10mm? are u fuxin wit me?

>>744815
in the event that i am a bad shot, or im really drunk and couldnt shoot straight, is it more helpful to spray and pray with the bear mace than shoot it in the shoulder with a .44 or larger?

>>745181
HOLY FUCKING SHIT YO
BEAAARS ARE THE NEW TRAINS DOG WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>744301
Stay the fuck out. We're full. Goddamn fuckin cheechakos coming here and fucking everything up.
>>
>>744686
>grizzly
Lower 48 detected
>>
>>744723
It's something retards from down below say.
>>744731
Totally wrong kill your faggot self
>>
File: image.jpg (967KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
967KB, 3264x2448px
>>744748
>10mm
>extra magazines
You will be bear shit one day my son
>>
>>744749
Gr8 b8 m8. R8 8/8
>>
>>744749
-totally not a bear
>>
>>745395
OP here. im coming whether you fucking like it or not.

so you might as well tell me how to not fuck your shit up while im here. neither of us want that shit.
>>
>>745400

what? Literally everything in my post was accurate and factual. Is this really how you live your life?
>>
>>745420
I will find you and bury you.
>>
>>745421
There isn't a species of bear called a "grizzly" bear. There are brown bear and black bear. "Grizzlies" refer to a gene set that creates brown bear that are smaller and have silver tipped guard hairs. And no one that lives within a 1000 miles of one ever calls them "Grizzlies" you retarded turbonigger
>>
>>745428

So what? Everything I said was factual. Is someone fucking your ass right now as you post? Is that why you're such a mad faggot?
>>
>>745438
>Grizzly is a type of bear in america, it is considerably bigger than the other major type of bear in america, the black bear. Black bear are generally scared of people and small, while grizzly are fucking huge and scary.

>type of bear
Retard

>considerably bigger than other types of bear
Full retard

>other major type of bear in america, the black bear.
So far beyond full retard I literally contracted cancer from reading
>>
>>745438
>Grizzly is a type of bear in america, it is considerably bigger than the other major type of bear in america, the black bear. Black bear are generally scared of people and small, while grizzly are fucking huge and scary.

>type of bear
Retard

>considerably bigger than other types of bear
Full retard

>other major type of bear in america, the black bear.
So far beyond full retard I literally contracted cancer from reading

Now be a good little faggot and an hero immeidelty before you stupid has a chance to foul the gene pool. Your parents should be sterilized immeidelty
>>
mfw murricans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=76&v=nU5cMZymSr0
>>
>>745428
Wow because no one knew what anyone meant by grizzly bear. Thanks for the taxonomy lesson dad you really cleared things up. Pretty sure pioneers called them grizzly bears so you're the turbonigger
>>
Go to 0:30

Fucking hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYEeBujKmQc
>>
>>745517
It's fake.
>>
>>745426
ive been buried you fuckin bitch ass piece of shit

im coming so get the fuck used to it or try to fucking kill me. i dont give a fuck if you cap some other cheechako. makes more room for both of us.

plus u know thats a native work u stole long after settlers stole the fucking land? dont bring history repeating down on you

>>745452
>>745455
"Inarguably the largest and most dangerous of North American big game, the Alaskan brown bear (Ursus arctos middendorffi) and the grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) are recognized as separate species although mammologists generally agree they are one and the same animal"

cry me a fucking river

http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearAware/Bears_of_North_America/bears_of_north_america.html
>>
File: spurdo realistic.jpg (30KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo realistic.jpg
30KB, 400x395px
Ebin :DDDDD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI_f0buRi2c
>>
File: retardedpepe.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
retardedpepe.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
>>745521
i lik ber
you like ber?
>>
>>745520
U mad wyte boi?
>>
>>745520
When you get here. Don't call them Grizzlies. Everyone will know you don't belong. Which will know regardless. You driving or ferry?
>>
>>745514
>dat damage control
Your tears are sweet
>>
>>745520
>plus u know thats a native work u stole long after settlers stole the fucking land? dont bring history repeatin
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>back to your safe space on tumblr you ultrafaggot
>>
>>745571
flying into anchorage and driving out from there.
im looking into buying a used car or van. something with a rack that i can sleep in if i have to.
>>
>>745647
Horry sheet anon. You best have a great job lined up beforehand right off the the bat.
>>
>>745647
Oh good. Not even mad anymore. Your mainlander filth won't make it more than two months. I will enjoy you assured failure you worthless outsider subhuman piss
>>
>>744301
You ever seen The Revenant?

Stab that fucker to death with a knife.
>>
>>745737
You sure told him off with that top quality engrish...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzELYcNXjfQ
>>
>2015+1
>not only shooting pics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbE53XUtVw0
>>
>>744815
>>744301
>>744310

I'm leaving for a backpacking trip in Alaska tomorrow and have decided to leave my revolver at home after much research and opt for a can of bear spray per person.

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear%20spray.pdf

Basically says that 50% of people who shot a bear got mauled, while almost none of people who used bear spray got mauled. Also, those who got mauled after using a gun got it much worse than those who used bear spray.

Guns piss bears off unless you kill it. I'm confident in my shooting calm and at the range, but shooting a charging grizzly perfectly between the eyes is another story. My grandpa agrees and is a veteran of 4 decades of hunting, fishing and backpacking in Montana, Washington and Alaska.
>>
>>745782
And it is easier to use a mace. I is a big fucking spray, it's harder to miss and you don't kill the bear.
>>
>>745770
holy shit
>>
File: Mace.png (41KB, 454x311px) Image search: [Google]
Mace.png
41KB, 454x311px
>>745786
>And it is easier to use a mace.

Yes anon, a mace would work.
>>
>>744678
Found the librul.
Drawing and firing in rapid succession is not hard, and if you see a grizzly, you should have the gun out anyways.
>>
>>745370
>wouldnt a 10mm just piss it off

No, 10mm is an acceptable bear round. Can't say the same for an angry moose protecting her calf, which is another animal you should be concerned about. I killed a ~855lb brown bear in northern ID when a friend of mine and I unintentionally cornered it during a hike through Coeur d'Alene NF. I used Buffalo Bore hard cast 220gr in a G20, and dropped it in 5 shots. Not sure which ones hit, but I still had 10rds left. The friend thought it was a better purchase choice to get a 460SW Super Redhawk, and only managed to hit the bear once, with 100+ rounds on the range the previous month. With no recoil control and only 6 shots, I don't understand why people think that ballistics will save them with so few chances to actually benefit from it. I'll take 15rds of a slightly lesser "performing" round all day.
>>
When you go on guided hikes/camping in Brown Bear country someone is always armed. You just dont go out there without a rifle or large bore handgun.

Generally when you see the bear just stand still while facing it. If it steps toward you, fire a warning shot. If it doesnt run, chances are it is use to humans and warning shots... in which case you are kind of screwed because he isnt going to run away and is just going to keep coming closer

You also never go out in bear country alone. Or /out/ for that matter. Otherwise Rangers are going to spend weeks looking for the chunks of you that are left
>>
>>745934

A handgun in general is a poor choice for large animal defense.

As Clint Smith said "A handgun is what you use to fight your way to a rifle"
>>
>>745782
>>745786

Bear spray will not stop a bear on the charge. Bear spray will make a stationary bear run away.

Bear spray is also very easy to get all over you as you dont get to pick which direction the wind is blowing.

Long story short, carry a rifle, bring friends, who also have rifles, and if a bear doesnt run after a warning shot, chances are good he is thinking about chewing on your skull
>>
>>745941
>Bear spray will not stop a bear on the charge. Bear spray will make a stationary bear run away.
you don't have any sources for this information do you? that's because it's a pleasant fiction. do you work for fox nüws?
>>
>>745938
I agree, I would have loved to have my 12ga w/ slugs at the time, but it's also better than nothing. I started hiking with my AR with a 6.5G upper, but it got flat tiring to lug the extra weight around, and it was the difference between enjoying a relaxing 25 mile hike to being glad a 10 mile hike was over.
>>
>>745428
I've heard both from locals in grizzly country. I use grizzly because its more understood to mean the same animal by more people.

>>745941
Bear spray effects brown and black bears similarly, but is less effective on brown bears if they are aggravated. It's been shown that brown bears will rarely completely ignore the effects of spray, although it clearly effects the animal physiologically. MOST of the time however, bear spray is effective if used properly, followed by proper survival technique if the spray fails to deter.

All this talk about guns is silly. For a guide, who gets paid to hike with gun in hand for client safety, it makes some sense. The reason is that while guns are obviously effective at killing, carrying a gun for protection is discouraged because the majority of people will not effectively use it to kill or stop a bear attack. No one is going to hike carrying a gun; its going to end up on their pack eventually and unless you're actively hunting a bear, the layperson isn't skilled enough to effectively dispatch a charging bear. Hence why statistically speaking, bear spray is more effective and stopping bear attacks for ease of use and low skill requirement, aside from the fact that it works most of the time. This is in addition to what >>744815 said. Make steps to avoid the confrontation altogether is one of the best ways to be safe.

Source: NPS makes us go through the bear training every single year. We don't carry guns, we carry bear spray, and I've neither myself or any of my coworkers have ever had an issue with a brown bear before.
>>
File: image.jpg (219KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
219KB, 768x1024px
>>745936
This guy knows what's up
>>
>>745955
Yah must be tough working in your local kiddy park. Heard those swing sets are real dangerouse
>>
>>745770
"Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey."

Lmao.

That bear fucked right off.
>>
File: ITT.jpg (66KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
ITT.jpg
66KB, 480x270px
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.