[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't modern science been able to create synthetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: wool.jpg (569KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
wool.jpg
569KB, 1000x665px
Why hasn't modern science been able to create synthetic fabrics that are superior to wool?
>>
Synthetic insulating fabrics are already warmer by weight, dry much faster, cheaper, and are more comfortable to wear.

The problem is that synthetic fabrics don't do well around fire and they get stinky faster which is going to be tough to solve.
>>
File: Long john silvers away!!!.jpg (23KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Long john silvers away!!!.jpg
23KB, 240x320px
>>735147
>Synthetic insulating fabrics are already warmer by weight, dry much faster, cheaper, and are more comfortable to wear.

Not tnan merino wool . My merino long lohn silvers are amazingly comfortable
>>
>>735151
Pls die. like. fall into an old mineshaft, break your hips and knees, and starve to death. Die. but I suppose that might be hard to do, since you never leave your house. so choke on a dorito and die that way.

>>735138
it comes down to micro size per thread.. lots of company's aren't gonna foot the bill to give you super soft synthetic fibers.. so they are expensive, like real expensive not dicksporting goods expensive. Rayon can pretty much be turned into finer than silk. problem is, you ever sleep on top of silk sheets? you slide around like some squeezed KY jelly on a block of ice and told you to try to lay on it, but the block of ice was tilted 10 degrees on direction.
>>
>>735176
why u so mad brah? R u full 'Tism?
>>
Synthetics have
>more durable; higher denier strength
>warmer by weight
>better compressability
>faster drying
>laundered easily, can be washed on any heat and dried in a dryer

Wool has
>doesn't burn as easily
>takes longer to get stinky

I use a merino shirt and socks for /out/, because it's comfy and reduces stankiness, but it's synthetic and down for my other layers.
>>
>>735215
>>laundered easily, can be washed on any heat and dried in a dryer

I'd argue against this one, lots of Synthetics have all sorts of specific laundering requirements.
>>
>>735227
Most you can just toss into the washer and dryer, unless it's fake fur which will melt. Not like wool where you have to let it sit out and dry for 3 days and then it'll still be slightly damp.
>>
>>735176
had silk sheets, can confirm

I used to get out of bed by pushing off the wall with my arms and using the momentum to get upright.
>>
If lanolin was the only thing keeping wool from stinking, why don't they just put it on synthetic too?
If lanolin was the thing keeping wool from stinking, wouldn't it wash off when you wash your wool garment ?
>>
>>735265
Both Polyester and Rayon have issues, Polyester shrinks if you dry it too hot and you're not supposed to dry it in the sun and as for Rayon, some Rayon can be washed on delicates but other forms of Rayon aren't even supposed to go in the washing machine, neither are supposed to be tumble dryed due to Rayon being super fragile when wet.
>>
I've gotten holes in my wool shirt as well. Just don't burn softwood.
>>
>>735176
>you ever sleep on top of silk sheets? you slide around like some squeezed KY jelly on a block of ice and told you to try to lay on it, but the block of ice was tilted 10 degrees on direction.

kek this. getting your bed level is essential, but the instant someone else gets into bed with you, it is like downhill no matter where you are at
>>
>>735147
>they get stinky faster
True, but this is
a) mostly a problem with base layers and
b) offset by the fact that they're machine washable and they dry really fast
>>
>>735292
So you both slide into the middle together. Is that not the whole point of silk sheets?
>>
>>735944
That is what happens, but when you've fucked and are no longer fucking, it is nice to spread out and sleep, not slide into a hole where you get too hot and body parts fall asleep.

This doesn't happen when camping, fyi, unless you have one of those really big inflatable mattresses. Then you just about kill yourself when trying to get up at 3am to go out and take a piss. You know those thin, anti-slip foam rubber, mats that have the holes in them that go under cutting boards? You can buy that stuff in rolls, in the USA, in various "dollar" stores. You can cut it to size and slip it between the air mattress and the silk sheets to help keep the silk sheets from slipping around on the bed (the elastic fasteners on the corners never work well on air mattresses.) They are a life saver.

If you have an ultra hard bed (Klingon style), silk doesn't give you any of these problems.
>>
File: IMG_20160321_050929.jpg (922KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_050929.jpg
922KB, 2048x1536px
REI $6/Pair.
> Merino wool, accept NO substitute!
>>
>>736104
go read the label

>less than 10% merino.
>>
>>736109
You read the label
>75% Merino
>15% nylon
>10% spandex

Which is what you want.
>>
Because God makes the best things
>>
>>736511
God was invented by humans just like Polartec. Checkmate, woolfags.
>>
>>736519
*tips fedora
>>
>>735138
It takes about 40 pounds of feed for a ram to produce a pound of wool.

Environmental impact= slightly less grazing grass and some manure

Do you know what it takes to produce a pound of any synthetic material? Do you know it's environmental impact?

Once you do the math on that, and add it to the fact that you already understand that synthetics are inferior to natural wool- you can find your own answer.
>>
>>736662
you didn't even take into consideration the required land for raising wool producing animals. common, don't throw around economy facts without looking at the whole picture. just look at all of Europe. if America and china stopped feeding them. they'd all starve to death.. you know, that's not a bad idea.
>>
>>736675
At least in Aus the land used for sheep grazing is one of two types, too sparse to grow crops on without massive fertilisation or on paddocks which are on a fallow cycle on crop farms so either way they're serving a purpose they wouldn't otherwise, given that Aus is the worlds largest wool exporter that means at least some portion of the wool produced is done so without the loss of farming land for other purposes and I'm damn sure Aus isn't the only country to work on that system.
>>
>>736678
funny how ive yet to see AUS produced wool products, and if they are as large as you said. then funny how its not cheaper in the US. in the US wool is pretty expensive compared to other parts of the world. maybe its all that AUS taxing that by time their wool gets to the states, they have jacked the price up x10.
>>
>>736679
60% of Aus wool exports go to China also Aus farmers aren't subsidised by our government like US farmers so their break even price is a fair bit higher.
>>
>>735138
see polar fleece. same warmth characteristics wet or dry but dries about 8x faster. also thermoregulates better to my experience. I always overheat in wool long underwear but fleece I can wear indoors.
>>
>>736679
>Americans crying about things being expensive, again, when they have awesome buying power.

I've seen cheaper Icebreaker in your country than anywhere else.

As you say: we don't make shit so we aren't enjoying savings on clothes. To save money we have to buy it from your country and that is with a big, steep shipping price.
>>
>>735138

They do, wool (particularly "merino") is a meme.

T. Sheep farmer who can't stand wool.
>>
>>737653
>T. Sheep farmer who can't stand wool.

That's hardly uncommon

>Fitter/Machinist who works with turbos and can't stand turbos
>>
>>737679

Count yourself lucky you're not a gynecologist
>>
>>737799
Yeap dubdubs confirms seeing broken vag all day would be hard to deal with.
>>
>>737679

It has little to do with my sheep, it has to do with wool being an inferior fabric.

My hatred for merino is that it's a meme, it's like Angus beef, best steak I've ever had was off a shorthorn, but all you ever hear is angus, angus, angus. Few years back I went to the state fair just to watch, and the winning fleece belonged to Tunis of all breeds.
>>
>>737810
Most gynecologists are women.
>>
Does anyone ITT have any experience with washing your synthetics on the trail? What soap do you use?
>>
>>737653
>>738335
This is why I call it memerino wool
>>
File: 0413162045.jpg (672KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0413162045.jpg
672KB, 2048x1350px
>>737653
>>738335
>>738340
Name a pair if synthetic socks with a lifetime replacement warranty.
>>
>>738368
I can't name any other memes with lifetime warranty either :^)
>>
>>738368
Most of my socks are wool, I've used bamboo ones, excellent but they're exxy and lucky to last 6 months, synthetics are a joke and I avoid wearing them. Cotton is ok for summer but also don't last long.
>>
>>738368

Am I actually supposed to know specific models of socks?

>lifetime warranty
I once fell for this gimmick, they are counting on their product to be good enough for 80% of people who use them lightly, and 19% of people to just throw them out when they break because it's not worth the hassle to go get them refunded/replaced. Meanwhile they charge double the price for them because at the time everyone thinks they are going to get new ones when they break. Craftsman is a good example of this, no one drives 30 miles to replace a socket head that costs $2 at their local hardware store, they just hold onto it until the next time they go that way, then forget about it and never redeem the warranty.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 300x280px
>>735176
>>
>>738470
>Warranty useless cause I'm lazy.

Sounds like a personal problem. I replace my craftsman stuff on the regular when I get lazy and use the 3/8th drive already in my hand as a hammer. Bought one a decade ago...gotta be on number 5 now. Worried my cheater bar might break socket...grab a craftsman...though Sears isn't some crazy road trip for me and my memory isn't so fucked I forget to stop by if I'm going to be in the area.
>>
>>738850

I do replace my craftsman shit when it breaks, but usually it's not worth $15 in gas to go up there, so I only replace it when I'm up near Sears. The warranty is effectively useless because I still have to buy replacements to get the job done, granted when the replacements die I have a nice source of cheap tool steel to fuck around with.

The problem just grows with socks, I'm not about spend a shit ton of gas and time to replace a pair of socks when I can just buy a 30 pack for $14 in town.
>>
>>735138

Evolution has been working on fleece for 60 million years. Materials science really started attacking the problem 60 years ago. Be patient, we've already made major advances just in the short time we've worked the problem.

Also, serious structural chemistry and designer materials is an emerging science. The next ten years of advance in technical fabrics will be VERY exciting.
>>
Because you can't fix nature.
All other arguments are invalid.
>>
File: youshouldkillyourselfalready.jpg (74KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
youshouldkillyourselfalready.jpg
74KB, 720x720px
>>735176
>>
>>736039
>klingon style

I chuckled hard. had an exgirlfriend whos mothers bed was like sleeping on a concrete slab.
>>
>>737603
fleece pants make the best loungewear
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 300x210px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 300x210px
Just say wool.

Saying merino wool is like saying cows milk, sure there are other types of milk but no one wants to drink them and you can't find them in shops.

If you're talking about carpet then you might want to specify breed. You also might be on the wrong board
>>
>>740637
>Saying merino wool is like saying cows milk, sure there are other types of milk but no one wants to drink them
Where do you shop, the faggot store? I've got tons of scratchy wool sweaters in aran style, fair Isle style, so many kinds in store.
>>
>>735176
merino wool killed this anons parents

he only has wishes of death for those that dare use it
>>
>>740911
Sort of this. Merino is good for socks and base layers, but shit for lots of other things wool is good at. It's too fine to make a good sweater (one that's actually warm and not just there to look nice over a dress shirt) out of, for instance.
>>
>>740911
>aran style, fair Isle style
The style of the shirt has nothing to do with the breed f the sheep. Unless you're buying it from an Aranian peasant woman it is still going to be made of merino wool.
>>
>>741030
I have an aran sweater that's merino, and one that's not.
The merino one isn't as fluffy and is heavier. It is also indeed less itchy. I still prefer the non-merino one.

Also the knit also imparts particular characteristics to the fabric. I think this is fairly evident.
>>
>>737799
>medfag on gyn clerkship
>lose libido the entire duration
gyn should be a mandatory rotation for all able-bodied men who come of age

they would stop putting that slime-hole on a pedestal in a heartbeat
>>
>>736104
fugg, I'm gonna hit up REI the next time I go to the city.
>>
>>736662
That's energy expenditure, but you're not taking into account how shit like polar fleece ultimately ends up as microbeads in streams and oceans, fucking over everything.
>>
Why aren't there synthetics that don't start smelling like shit after a day? Can't be that hard can it.
>>
>>742743
And not forgetting that in plenty of places sheep are grazed with minimal feed and what they do get isn't fit for us to eat, they aren't meat steers.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.