[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Over-priced gearfag mall tier store or good source for quality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (120KB, 570x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 570x390px
Over-priced gearfag mall tier store or good source for quality stuff?

Is it worth getting an REI membership?
>>
>>726620
Store is neat to browse, but overpriced. Just my opinion on it.
>>
Overpriced but alot of nice shit, plus the membership is a good deal IMO, you spend 100$ there and you get 10$ to spend back
A neat idea
>>
>>726620
I shop there to keep the store afloat. Its unique in the services it provides, i.e. adventures, advice, gear rentals, equipment service. The dividend and credit card combine into a solid price point. So if we keep spending money there, then the store will continue to exist.
>>
MEC is superior to REI
>>
>try on in store
>buy online for 30% less

fwiw i do have a membership there, but my dividend this year was $4.49, so that tells you how much i use it.
>>
>>726620
Good sales, great at things like fitting backpacks. Not all stuff applies to rewards points. Neither of my last 2 backpacks did. I assume they may have been clearance priced so that's why (see great sales).

If you ever take a class you've made back your $20
Garage sales are shit. They are wall to wall people and probably some good deals but NEVER AGAIN will I go to one. 5 minutes after store opened there was a line at least 200 people long already.
>>
>>726620

Makes a good showroom...for shit that is way cheaper elsewhere.
>>
>>726620
What is the membership? A rewards type deal? Do you need a membership to shop there like Costco or something?

I don't have one anywhere near me, but from looking online most of their prices seem to be significantly more than other major retailers.
>>
>>726655
REI is a member owned Co-op, so a membership is sort of like owning 1 share of REI.

Aside from the 10% dividend and member-only sales/discounts you get to vote for who sits on the Board of Directors.
>>
>>726655
REI prices everything at or around MSRP, but members get 10% of their full price purchases back every year. So if you're a member everything is effectively on sale for at least 10%.

A lot of online retailers can sell for less because they lower overhead than REI, but REI offers a lot of real world benefits like easy returns/exchanges, classes and shop services for things like skis and bikes.

I don't buy all of my gear there, but I have a membership and it's easily worth the $20 sign-up.
>>
>>726661
What does the membership cost?

>>726664
I just remember looking at a couple multitools and flashlights and little stuff like that <$100 and everything seemed to be around $10 or $20 more expensive on their website compared to Bass Pro or Dick's. And neither of those are some discount online retailer.

Seems nice for some specialty gear if you are a climber or real gearfag and need to see and buy the stuff in person. They had some stores in IL when I lived there but I never went to one and they don't have a single store in South Florida so none of it really concerns me. But after seeing their website's prices, I wouldn't even consider ordering anything online from them.
>>
I always read REI blogs on new stuff, then buy it cheaper on Amazon.
>>
>>726620
My parents got a membership back when it was free, but they're both the type to think that something is magically higher quality if you spend more on it.

Personally, I only go to REI if I have to. They don't provide a military discount, which in my opinion is like saying they don't give a shit about half their customers.
>>
>>726673
This
>>
>>726670
Membership is $20 my first purchase there was $ 120 so I already got 12$ of my 20 back
They usually hire somewhat cute girls, clueless alot of the time but somewhat cute
>>
I got my membership back in 1992. My dad insisted I get one- who got his membership when they first opened. My dad's membership number is sub-100. Anyhow...a lot has changed since I got my membership; some for the better arguably some for the worst.

In Murica there are so many retail options available that you have to be pants on head retarded to buy anything there if not on sale. In most instances for high end stuff, the price REI sets will be on par with or 2-3% higher than their competitors. So unless the item I want is on sale then I will 100% buy it elsewhere. If the item is at the same sale price as my other sources, then I'll go through REI simply to take advantage of the dividend and free shipping.
>>
This reminds me I still need to spend my dividend. Got 60 bucks from last year and this year combined.

>>726691
^ To add to this that 20 dollars is a one time thing. There might be a clause about buying something every year but I can't remember.
>>
>>726712
Nope. $20 once, lifetime membership, no minimum purchase required.

Your dividend does expire after three years if you don't spend it or cash it out.

What I mostly buy at REI is stuff like socks and snacks. Both have a bulk discount but you still get the full 10% towards your dividend. Most bigger purchases I've made at REI were for REI brand stuff. Both my solo and car camping tents are REI brand and I like some of their clothing, too.

The best way to shop at REI is to build up a dividend with little odds & ends purchases, then hit up one of their sales/coupons if you want to make a bigger purchase.

The online outlet usually has pretty sweet deals on last year's stuff both REI brand and otherwise.
>>
>>726632
MEC is rapidly going down the toilet
>>
>>726728
>MEC
so mec is the canadian rei? The website is virtually identical
>>
>>726728
Why senpai?
>>
>>726732
Bretty much. Separate companies but similar set-ups.

REI and MEC have a sort of unofficial agreement not to cross into each other's turf.

>>726728
The Bellingham, WA REI is one of the smallest but most profitable stores they have largely because of Canadians that shop there.
>>
In January me and my wife went to get her a new rain jacket. The dude said to get a membership for $20 and it saved us like $36 or something on the jacket. Recently used our coupons to get her fitted for a backpack which was helpful because we just got into being more outdoors. Used our 20% coupon and I'll probably buy a pack off somewhere cheaper based on what we saw.

Like others said, great for a show floor and coupons.
>>
REI is pretty much in a perpetual state of sale. Just from what I can remember from working there:

>Member benefits sale
>Anniversary/Summer kick off sale
>Summer Clearance sale
>Labor day sale
>Winter kick off sale
>Winter clearance sale

Plus they have random online sales and the Outlet.
>>
Only for rope and shoes.
Nowhere else in central texas to buy 11mm static rope off the spool in person, that I know of.
Also like the boots / trail runner selection. They have a little mini hill to "hike" on and try the shoes before you buy the shoes
>>
What i get from this thread is that people would prefer if REI didnt exist. The only way for a company to remain in business is for their customers to purchase items that provide a profit.
>>
REI also provides full benefits for all their employees, even part timers, which raises their overhead but is ultimately a good idea for their long term business plan.

In general the company is very good at long term, stable growth and they weather economic hiccups better than most other retailers which helps them retain an active customer base.
>>
REI is okay for some things. Military surplus is also okay for some things. Specialized companies are also okay for some things. Even Wal-Mart is okay for some things.
>>
>>726675
>expects everyone to treat you above everyone else because you were a mililitary fag
Grow up, a business isn't doing anything wrong if they don't want to give you a military discount.
>>
>friends dog popped my NeoAir
>buy REI Outlet items
>get 20% off one item already 40% off
>get $20 for spending $100
>get my dividend back $50
>use my next 20% off, $20 bonus card and dividend to get a new NeoAir for $75

I've found that REI is the best way to purchase expensive items or just the highest quality gear. A good example would be the a stove as simple as the MSR Pocket Rocket. $30 isn't expensive and there are many cheaper alternatives but if you want to spend a couple extra dollars on something REI will let you return it if something goes wrong and give you money back in your dividend.
If my NeoAir would have got a leak instead of torn to pieces by a dog, I would have just returned it for something else. The things I got in order to save the money on my NeoAir were also things I am going to use a lot. Well worth every dollar spent. I'm just a bartender so I'm not rich but /out/ is my passion so it's important for me to get as much value out of the money I do spend.
>>
>>726887
That's not a bad deal. If Bass Pro's rewards program gave more back, I would be more inclined to make larger benefits there. They also rarely have sales on nicer rods and reels. I mentioned both of these points on a survey I took for them. Hopefully somebody took notice.

Bass Pro has the best selection around me, but if Dick's carries something I want, I will often go there. They have better dales and send me some good coupons and their Score Card gives you decent rebates. It used to be great back in the day, but now it's like 3%-5%. So even little shit that adds up like line, weights, and lures, they may not have the best selection but I will go there before Bass Pro as long as they sell what I need.
>>
REI is great because they have a wide variety of products so even if you can find it cheaper online its nice to go to REI and get your hands on it first and see if it's something you want.

Besides that the garage sales and member bonuses are virtually unheard of in any other large chain so i like to give them my money, buying online isn't generally that much less expensive
>>
>>726626
>>726628
These. The employees there generally know their shit. I rarely buy brand new but you can find plenty of good deals in the outlet section. Also, the monthly garage sale has some really good finds if you get there early.
>>
>>726907
The other nice thing is that you can get almost anything shipped to your local store for free so you can avoid paying for shipping on orders under $50.
>>
>>726712
>>726723
There is no minimum thing to keep it, my uncle bought a membership in the seventies and didn't use it for 30 years but still got a dividend after buying a tent from them.
>>
>>726675
The only people that ask for military discounts are chairforce fags and army wives.
>>
>>726901

A co-op revolves around rewards and incentives, which is the appeal of REI. I've seen some crazy stupid stuff at REI too though... which is why I can understand the hate. Pic related is an electric bicycle I saw a week ago.

Overall, my experience with REI has been infinitely better than with any other place to shop. It's the hipsters who buy thousands of 30L Osprey backpacks for school that make it so I can get it for /out/ on closeout for 50% off.
>>
>>726675
They are a very liberal organization that supports anti-gun organizations and give zero fucks about the military
>>
i like it i just don't like there politics or there prices. its pretty over priced, so i would campmor or sport chalet
>>
File: evrgrn.lolwut.jpg (57KB, 620x363px) Image search: [Google]
evrgrn.lolwut.jpg
57KB, 620x363px
>>727123
>They are a very liberal organization that supports anti-gun organizations and give zero fucks about the military
This.
This is one big reason why I don't shop there.
>>
>>727123
The military are just mercenaries for transnational oil companies these days, so why would they?
>>
>>727158
>>>/trash/
>>>/pol/

Just click one. They are the same thing anyway.

>>>/mlp/
>>
>>727171
Deep down you know I'm right. ISIS only exists because of the Gulf Wars, so that fight falls under cleaning up your own mess. But the actual issue is, why the hell should the military expect a discount on recreational camping gear? Taxpayers already pay their salaries and issue them free equipment.

>>>/mlp/
I don't go there much anymore. It's no fun since they banned the nightly drinking thread.
>>
>>726675
Fuck a military discount, you entitled cunt. The military is a job people sign up for. They don't deserve anything extra. If it was a draft, maybe. Military discount... You get paid and stipeneds. Pussy.

>>727158
>>726849
>>727001
This
>>
Keep the politics out of this thread. Some go outdoors to get away from this shit.
>>
>>727203
This isn't outdoors, it's the internet.
>>
I'm a veteran and I don't give a fuck that they don't offer a military discount.
They have good customer service, which I value.
>>
>>727203
Anti-gun people are enemies of /out/. If you're not interested in politics, you don't belong here. If you are /out/, you are interested in cutting down forests and fucking up the environment in general, fucking with us, etc.

>Some go outdoors to get away from this shit.
Keep that and soon you'll have nowhere to go. They will confiscate your baton and throw you in a cell for carrying a lighter.
>>
>>727201
>Fuck a military discount, you entitled cunt. The military is a job people sign up for. They don't deserve anything extra. If it was a draft, maybe. Military discount... You get paid and stipeneds. Pussy.

this is not about that moron, it's about attracting new customers.
>>
>>727364
If you're only going to even attempt shopping at places with a military discount then you're part of the problem
>>
I like it. Membership definitely worth the $20, my first purchase used had a 20% off coupon and bought $400 binoculars, better price than could get online even considering the $20 membership.

Plus I go shop there with friends and family and have them use my member number so I can get the dividend lol.
>>
Some autists are probably gonna be mad at me for saying this, but I don't mind buying stuff for a little extra more in the store. Of course, if it's ridiculously overpriced compared to online, I'll buy online, but if we're talking only a few dollars or something, I'll just buy it in the store so I can have it immediately and not have to worry about shipping costs or nothing.
>>
>>728249
Why the hell do I have Judy Maxwell in the name box? Disregard that.
>>
I go there to check out the kewl stuff. Then I go home and buy it on Amazon.
>>
>>728249
If that's the case, it makes sense. But when it is $230 at REI and $200 at Dick's, I will go to Dick's.
>>
>>728249
>>728299
Something else to consider is that even after their policy change, REI still has one of the most generous return policies around.
>>
I walked into a fjallraven the other day. Cool stuff but way too expensive. They did have fancy rifle cases, though, so not anti fun like REI.
>>
>>726675
as a marine vet, I think you are a fag.
>not shopping somewhere just because they dont give you a mil discount.
>>
>>726620
the garage sales are worth it for me. I got a $289 osprey pack for $112. all it need was a new hip belt which osprey replaced for free. dope return policy too.
>>
>>726632
Yeah but what if you're not Canadian?
>>
>>726620
The only people who would hate REI are poor fags.

That being said stuff isn't as over priced as places like Cabellas.

Besides a whole 1 year return on items is great

Dividends are badass

And the membership alone is worth it just for their garage sales

Get an REI membership if you aren't a fag. I don't care if I get called a shill I've had mine for a little over a year now and it's wonderful. I got a Osprey 65 liter AG, Hennessy Hammock, and a jet boil at their garage sale for a combined 105$ all of it is good quality the only thing is the hammock is missing tree straps

Beat that anywhere else I dare you
>>
>gearfag
>mall tier

Aren't those basically opposites?
Gearfag I would take to mean expensive shit with features, materials etc. that one doesn't really need.
Mall tier I would define as mediocre things without the features, materials etc. to be classed as very good things.
>>
I've always wanted to go there but the nearest location from me is over 300 miles away. Sucks. They really should have one in South Florida.
>>
Are they worth it if you would only be able to use their site?
I'm assuming all the membership boons are not as great on the actual online store.
>>
>>732076
The only real-world member benefit that doesn't carry over is the garage sale. But to counter that they have the online clearance outlet.
>>
>>732099
From the description garage sales sound hellish, so I rather have online clearance than deal with a large crowd.

Need to buy a new backpack soon, and looking for a hammock to buy for the first time, so might as well buy a membership there since I was buying my backpack there anyway.
>>
I don't buy much there anymore, but I like to go into the store to play with the backpacking stoves and the other demo items they have around. Sometimes I'll buy a carabiner or two for the suspension rig.
>>
>>726620
They have a 'no chase' policy, just so you know...
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 640x1136px
Just a lil friendly shilling. I know most of us our poorfags. Idk if anything is that great, but the prices look good. Only good til 10pm EST tonight.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=50628776&camp=Email:04072016FlashSaleLink:_reportname__&mcid=301316750
>>
>>726620
Used to love it. Now I hate it. It's a fucking meme store for rich hipster douchebags who won't wear a coat if it costs less than six hundred dollars.

Seriously, I got my membership back in the early 90s and they had a pretty decent selection of stuff from cheap to ultra expensive, thus covering all price points I wanted depending on what gear I'm buying. Now they only cater to those that want really expensive shit. I'm not a poorfag but I don't need to pay more just cause there's a tree on the sign. I have an ex coworker that works there and she loves it, and gets decent deals but is flabbergasted at the money some people (who clearly never go /out/) spend there. I pretty much exclusively shop online now and if I need to get to a store it's Next Adventure for me always.
>>
>>733405
I see what you're saying but they have constant sales as well as the outlet. I've never had any issues with finding good deals. Just wait until all the major brands start releasing their new season of gear and get last year's stuff at a huge discount.
>>
>>727123

>and give zero fucks about the military

So? The military doesn't give a shit about the military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAKiCdD0hkE
>>
I work for Kathmandu in Australia. You would be amazed at how much our gear is market up. $900 Alopex jacket is $340 staff. And they are still making $150 bucks off us.
>>
I get socks there and I bought my last pair of boots there.

>>733374
Faggot
>>
>>726620
Neat store but evetything overpriced.

You'll be happy as a big in shit if you bought something at retail. And the only time I go there is fir the once a year sale of 20 - 30 % off...whoohoo.

Most of the time it's better to buy from other online retailers or just strait from the manufacturer, where I have access to the whole libe up of product models, versus the one or two items from said brand on REI shelves.

>>726635
Ha ha, this.
>>
>>726620
Fuck this place.
>>
In my experience, nothing is really over priced. Everything I have price checked has been the same online. Not sure where the huge circle jerk came from but I imagine it's from people who spend less than $50 a year on gear anyways. Sometimes you can find an item on sale at backcountry or any of the other websites when is not on sale at REI, but 99 percent of the time it is MSRP. If you dont want name brand, shop at Walmart or something, idgaf. But the "it's overpriced" meme is fucking retarded.

Please show some proof that they are really over priced or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>727171
You fucking retarded faggot. He's right
>>
>>726675

Faggots like you are why a lot of former military folks loathe other guys who were in the military.
>>
>>733867
Spoiled Americans that have the option of shopping around for $10 cheaper because they don't get raped on postage.
>>
>>731010

I'm not even poor. I just don't like it when people try to rip me off, which is absolutely what they're doing 90% of the time.
>>
>>734054

>TFW constantly between hawaii and guam, errything expensive.
>>
File: perceptive cat.gif (952KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
perceptive cat.gif
952KB, 500x281px
>>733858
>You'll be happy as a big in shit
Is english your first language?
>>
>>727181
>ISIS exists purely because of a power vacuum
Sure is funny how they haven't attacked Israel though. Almost as if they were created by the Americans to fight proxy wars with the Russians and give justification for forcing in more anti-privacy laws.
>>
>>733571
NZfag here. I hate Kathmandu. Their products are such bullshit.
>looking for waterproof (10k+) jacket for 6yo son to go /out/ with me for overnighters
>pop into Kathmandu, explain what I need, ask staff member for help
>shows me jacket and says it's waterproof and suitable
>look at tag
>"showerproof 3000mm" printed on it

That stupid fuck would've sold me a shower resistant jacket for winter trips in the south island. I'm convinced that nobody in that store actually goes /out/.
>>
>>734412
95% don't . hell even I work there and barely go out. I don't hear of any "oh this is where I went on my weekend".
It literally takes 3 hours to do the product training, and it covers like 5% of what we have. Lel. The only good products are 2 rain jackets , and like one backpack. Wouldn't buy the Katmandu shoes if you paid me. We literally only have one good boot. It's cringe worthy how little people know when they come into the store. Ah well, it's a job, it pays my bills. Been with them for a year now though.
>>
>>734412
Don't you all just wear swannies, rugby shorts, boots and gaiters?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.