[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey sc/out/s, yesterday I posted a thread on /g/ but I didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: Main screen.png (152KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Main screen.png
152KB, 1536x2048px
Hey sc/out/s, yesterday I posted a thread on /g/ but I didn't get a lot of feedback. I want to hear your opinion on an app I am willing to develop.

Recently I had the urge to find an app that would provide the ability to easily recognize plants in the field. But most of them were cumbersome to scroll through the lists of pictures and only had double digit entries in its libraries.

I had an idea of creating a community based hub with indexing variables (Classification, colour, texture, size, etc.) to easily identify and find plants through the list. Since I myself wont be able to put all of the plants of the whole world in the database, even though I'll try to get as much as I can, there would be an option for the users of the applications to send in their own plants they know and recognize and I could quickly evaluate them and add more information which is available from the internet.

I've made a quick sketch on how the app could look like. The questions is if you'd be willing to use it, and if so would you expect to have a price tag on it or just have it accessible to anyone with shitty ads for monetization?

Will post more pictures below.
>>
File: plantsview.png (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
plantsview.png
1MB, 1536x2048px
You could select one of the many categories above, and then it would show you a list in alphabetical order of all available listings.
>>
File: plantsview2.png (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
plantsview2.png
1MB, 1536x2048px
In detail look at one of the listings. Maybe add support for user added pictures.
>>
File: search.png (82KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
search.png
82KB, 1536x2048px
Ability to search by name or available variables that you known while inspecting the plant to narrow down the list to find what you are looking for quicker.
>>
File: classificationsofplants.jpg (66KB, 783x549px) Image search: [Google]
classificationsofplants.jpg
66KB, 783x549px
>>724788
Inclusion of in depth classification (?)
>>
File: submit.png (93KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
submit.png
93KB, 1536x2048px
Ability to submit plants which have not been added to the database yet.
>>
That's about it, would be glad to hear any feedback and suggestions of features. I will probably make this as a web app first and then convert it to android through webviewer. Not sure about iOS since they require you to pay 99 bucks to post your apps which is absurd.
>>
Sounds and looks interesting.
If it is supposed to be completely community driven, I'm not sure I'd pay for it.
You should try to get databases with info that already exists from organisations like http://uswildflowers.com/
>>
>>724796
Not entirely. I'll try to gather as much databases as I can and implement them into the app, but since its not humanely possible for me to get every single one of them the community will be able to step in and fill the blanks.
>>
Kind of a cool idea.

Would be nice to be able to search by leaf shape, color of flowers, size of leaves, ect ect.

Sometimes I'll see a plant that was crazy leaves and I'll wish I knew what it was, but the only thing I know is the shape of the leaf, and the color of its flowers.
>>
It's a great idea man!

Sometimes I'm curious about different plants and trees, this would help me a lot
>>
Sweet idea, would totally be on board.
>>
>>724782
To be clear, to use this I would take a picture of a plant and your app would tell me what it is and if it's safe to eat, etc, correct?
>>
Definitely add a way to filter results based on season, geographical location or climate zone.

Wouldn't pay for it, but would put up with shitty ads.
>>
File: 20160328_183928.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160328_183928.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
My physical field guide is organized like pic related. You could organize yours in a similar way
>>
Sup OP. If you need any assistance, want someone to work with you on this project let me know. My skills are mainly on the backend stuff - I'm pretty useless with frontend.
>>
Good idea. I'm doing Android on the side, would love to help. We will surely find someone who could help with other stuff and then we all could colaborate on Github.
>>
Check out Virginia Tech Tree ID for insight on how a plant app should work. Get a copy of Newcombs Wildflower Guide so you can better understand dichotomous keys. Your app could simply link to something like the USGS plants database once it gets a list of results but it wouldnt work well offline.
>>
>>724893
No. You would use it if you came upon a plant which you'd like to identify quicker, by selecting definitive features of the plant (classification, leaf shape, flower colour if any, etc.), rather than scrolling through endless lists of plants. You could also contribute by adding plants that you know of but somehow are not yet added the the library. E.g. If i somehow forgot to add Dandelions, you go take a picture of them, write their name, maybe check some definitive features you know of it and then submit it where I would over-check it, gather more information and add to the library.
>>
>>725463
Well that's stupid. Why not use one of the apps where you use camera phone and the app breaks it down. You do realize it's 2016 now and you're approaching this like it's 1990.
>>
Sounds pretty cool to me. I've used the standard literature classification books for animals and plants in my country during my studies. They go from the most outstanding characteristics to more and more detailed and sometimes comparisons between 2 or 3 things. Pretty accurate stuff but gets a bit tricky once you get into the small details like the million types of leaf shapes you can have (serrated, round, spiny, triangular, whatever). Thats where an app would make sense to somehow assist you via the pictures and stuff. That would require some image recognition software.
Nice idea tho
>>
Like >>724932 said,
Adding the option to select your current region would be crucial.
If I'm hiking the AT in Virginia, I will only want to know which plants exist in that specific area.
>>
If there a way to make the app so you could take a picture of something, then it sends the pic to the cloud, which then runs pattern recognition on it, and returns the result to your phone when it's complete?
>>
Well I think we can forget about image recognition software, as that takes first huge expertise second its hard to be precise about it. Other thing i would implement is connect plants to their possible locations so you can have quicker search, and also have printable pdf booklet on-demand via email or app.
>>
>>725503
You're right, op is approaching this at a (relatively) low tech starting spot. I believe this is a benefit to the project, especially during startup. You are quick to point out an impovement that would greatly increase programming complexity, we should focus on the database first before attempting to delve into photorecognition. Such a system could easily be added on later, once there is a user community and some more funding.

Awesome idea op, I'll be keeping an eye on this project. I'm shocked there isn't a good app for this already, if you do this right it could take off.
>>
>>724782
Please do it. It'd be nice to just tick a box for the color, shape and anything else to help identify the plant. I'd buy it.
>>
>>725754
>>725788
not understanding binary chop. This is a simple app project as long as user has internet.
>>
>>724782
Great idea but I feel like you'll get sued by some moron who misidentified a nightshade or something. You need to consult someone on the liability there
>>
>>726573
Just slap a "This info is only for guidance. No liability for injuries or death etc.." on there, and you have to press accept when you open the app.
>>
As long as you can access the information without connecting to the internet. Keep in mind when people are /out/, they don't always have cell reception.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.