[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about not wearing shoes - just socks? There

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: bOfQJLml.jpg (362KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bOfQJLml.jpg
362KB, 1500x1000px
What do you think about not wearing shoes - just socks? There are kevlar socks that are pretty durable, you wouldn't have to worry about sharp rocks or stuff like that, but it'd feel like you're not wearing shoes.
>>
I don't think these would face up well against thin piercing objects
>>
>>724332
When I saw that image I didn't realise that was another foot. Was like wtf is wrong with his foot!
>>
>>724348
the toes of his left foot are pushed up slightly from resting on the rock except for his big toe, if that's what you meant
>>
File: vibrams4_speed-both[1].jpg (29KB, 555x300px) Image search: [Google]
vibrams4_speed-both[1].jpg
29KB, 555x300px
>>724332
I agree with >>724339

Why not wear something like pic related? Or are "toe shoes" terrible? Seems like they are a good compromise between providing some protection from thin/sharp objects and skidding on surfaces with at least some of the freedom of a sock/being barefoot.
>>
>>724410
>Or are "toe shoes" terrible?

Yes. Ever get something stuck between your toes? Imagine something stuck between ALL your toes. Now imagine that you accidentally do get a twig or something stuck between them. Every trip over something like a cat briar loop (Smilax spp) in the woods? Now imagine doing that and it being caught between your toes. Don't like wet feet in dewy grass? Too bad. Don't like grit between your toes? Too bad.

>providing some protection from thin/sharp objects

Not really. It is the leather over toes that gives you the protection in normal shoes. If you notice, most thorns and briars face down. Also, the soles are thinner than normal shoes.

>with at least some of the freedom of a sock/being barefoot.

Nope.
>>
>>724332
Do these things have grip or are you essentially walking on snot?
>>
>>724461
They don't have any tread so after only a few steps, the undersides will fill with grime, dirt, mud, etc then become slick. Shoes have tread which prevents them from being slick under the same limited conditions.
>>
>>724332
Just go shoeless your feet will get used to the pointy rocks
>>
>>724332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_I19G1dmWg
>>
I started transitioning towards barefooting a year ago.

First I got VivoBarefoot shoes, wore them a couple months.

Then I tried cotton toe socks. They were ultra comfy, but as you might guess, soon were but few shredded threads.

Then I went full barefoot. Thin piercing objects sometimes hurt, but 3 things help there:

1) your pain tolerance goes up. You'll go from "SONNUVABITCH" to "ouch!" to "oops" to "meh".

2) your skin thickens; i would pick pine needles and glass shards from the bottom of my foot and notice they got stuck in the skin without drawing blood.

3) your step gets lighter, more careful, gentle, more agile. When you step on something potentially painful, your trained instincts will instantly shift the weight so you wont land on the pain with full force. Weird feeling when you notice the nerves of your feet performing this "elven step" autonomously without conscious effort.

I've walked probably 10-20miles a day most days, in city streets as well as forests, doing running and parkour etc.

That said, kevlar socks intrigue me!

I would also like to test leather socks.
>>
>>724332
>What do you think about not wearing shoes - just socks?

Enjoy mincing around like a Kansas City faggot, as every twig and pebble will poke your feet.

That aside, my favorite socks are Wigwam Ultimax Tencel midweights.
>>
>>724493
>Just go shoeless
enjoy gnats+ticks+glass+used injections
>>
There's a fucking reason why we invented footwear. You're just gonna ruin your damn socks.
>>
>>724526
>I would also like to test leather socks.

This is what a basic shoe is. You literally just described a fucking shoe.
>>
>>724444
>with at least some of the freedom of a sock/being barefoot.
>Nope.

Actually anon, all that shit would happen to bare feet as well.
>>
>>724558
Pussy bitch spotted
>>
>>724616
Capitalism invented shoes. Before that footwear was closer to socks than modern shoes.
>>
>>724618
You dum dum? Most modern shoes have reinforced bottoms, socks do not. Thats one big difference.
>>
...might be on to something OP.
>>
>>724558

Stop going in state parks then pleb
>>
>>724625

No, they did not. For centuries humans wore shoes made out of leather stuffed with dead grass or other soft material. That or they made sandals out of bark rope.

Your "modern" shoes were first invented for sports in the early 20th century, not for casual wear. People still wore homemade leather boots unless they were rich. The whole "brand name" shoe didn't become popular until the 70s with Converse's Chuck Taylors. Then in the 80s Nike, Reebok, and Adidas became popular, and it's been this way ever since. The concept of casual shoes is really no newer than most modern music genres.
>>
>>724526
>city streets barefoot
>parkour barefoot

pls dont do this
>>
>>724619
nhb he's saying that you don't get the freedom of not wearing shoes by wearing vibrams, that you get none of the positives but still get negatives of going barefoot.
>>
>>724526
>>724688
Seconding, please don't do that kind of thing barefoot in urban areas. Your joints evolved in an environment that had relatively soft ground, whereas concrete and asphalt are very hard by comparison and you could do serious damage over time.
>>
This thread has sparked an idea:
I want to make cloth wraps like they had before shoes were invented.
It will be part of my wardrobe for a ren-fair camping retreat.

Does anyone have any ideas on low-effort ways of crafting some for a weekend?
>>
>>724761
basically just wrap your feet in thick cloth, with a sleeve maybe sewn in on one end, then put heavier material on the sole (like leather), then put bondage knots on your feet with some twine to keep it all together.
>>
>>724739
do you even barefoot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE
>>
>>724619
That's the whole point.
>>
>>724761
People didn't do it like that. They went barefoot even with hard labor then went right to actual shoes/sandals. no in-between. It wasn't until after shoes were being used that people started using footwraps, which may be what you are thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footwraps
>>
>>724768

You're, again, essentially describing a shoe or sandal. Look at a pair of Chuck Taylor converse. Canvas over a thin rubber sole. You're basically making the same thing but with a leather sole and cloth instead of canvas.

BTW people have been making shoes and sandals for thousands of years. Ice age people had shoes.
>>
File: himouto jihad.jpg (111KB, 420x550px) Image search: [Google]
himouto jihad.jpg
111KB, 420x550px
what the figurative fuck is wrong with shoes /out/???
>>
>>724444

I've put about 300 miles of trail running on my fivefingers and they are my favorite running shoe. just sayin.
>>
>>725031
That was my first post in the thread, and I'm not arguing for or against whether or not people had shoes at any point, I'm just telling an anon that he can use bondage knots on his slutty feet and whore calves to make what people wore over their feet before the modern shoe (which is what I assume he meant when he said "before shoes were invented.")
>>
File: shoes05.jpg (82KB, 800x505px) Image search: [Google]
shoes05.jpg
82KB, 800x505px
>>725031
Converse and shoes that ancient people actually wore are completely different.

converse have a hard, THICK sole. yes, it's a thick sole

Sandals and Turnshoes and shoes that ancient and medieval people wore are completely different. They ususually have a thin leather sole, which may have 2 layers but it is still thin.
I've worn modern shoes and dark ages turnshoes, and the feel is completely different.

Turnshoes are incredibly light, you can feel every stone and thorn and stick you step on when you're walking innawoods (which I prefer), and they're incredibly silent for hunting.

Modern "sneakers" (trainers) have much thicker soles, your feet feel a lot more closed off from nature. if you walk on a twig you will not feel it, and they are not silent for hunting at all.
Modern shoes are incredibly different to what people wore even 400 years ago

>pic related are the kind of turnshoes I wear
>>
How the fuck do people not feel twigs when wearing shoes?

Go see a fucking doctor about the nerve damage in your feet from being a nasty faggot that doesn't wear shoes.
>>
>>724444
This, if you like minimalistic shoes, don't get vibrams. The toe shit is a gimmick and just gets stuff stuck, and they don't give you enough protection on the upper. I like Lems http://www.lemsshoes.com/ and Vivo barefoot http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk
>>
>>724410
I have 3 vibram fivefingers. Best purchase ever, though i use vivo barefoot for daily office work. At home, just Moc and nothing else.
>>
File: santorum_ice_cream_2.jpg (17KB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
santorum_ice_cream_2.jpg
17KB, 400x269px
>buying overpriced meme shoes
>>
I suppose good water proof socks that you can walk barefoot in is useful when crossing rivers or in the rain. Do they make something like OPs socks that are warm and waterproof?
>>
All well and good till you catch your toe on a rock at the wrong angle on a flinch.

Snap city.
>>
File: Australopithecine.png (203KB, 470x600px) Image search: [Google]
Australopithecine.png
203KB, 470x600px
>>725061
>Modern shoes are incredibly different to what people wore even 400 years ago

People 400 years ago went barefoot often as not and had feet like hobbits.
>>
>>724332
Sounds cool until you realize it doesn't do shit for thorns (and would be a fir needle magnet), doesn't breathe well, and traction likely goes to shit the moment you go off a trail. $80 meme socks
>>
>>724675
Actually the real name of the shoe is the All-Star, and Chuck Taylor became the celebrity spokesperson for the brand in the 1920s. Adidas was popular in the 70s and considered lame in the 80s while Chucks got popular again. Next time I talk to my parents I'll ask them what was popular in the 50s (I think it was saddle shoes).
>>
>>725061
Any pics of you wearing them?
>>
From all my time spend /out/, there's nothing better than leather boots that fit (that also have a tough non-slip sole).
>>
I go barefoot often, but always bring a pair of shoes. My soles have become really tough, and that "elven step" one anon mentioned is something that does develop. The skin on my underfoot is really tough and there are areas with deep cracks that allow for movement contortion. Rocks don't really bother me any more with the exception of the occasional "dagger" rock. Not once in the last two years have my feet bled from things that caused pain.

On the vibram finger toes... I only loved them for trail runs with beaten paths and river romping. Walking through tall grass with sticker bushes sucked with them on, so any drudging through difficult terrain is going to be with enclosed leather boots and thick canvas pants.

I love mud, dirt, dew, and fresh water on my bare feet, so none of the "scum" issues bothered me.

As for city barefooting... protect your feet. Broken glass is the leading cause of injury to barefooters. Needles are rarely a concern because I have found them ditched in areas that rarely cross my path on the sidewalk. Also urine. The homeless are notorious for depositing their filth in very public places. Such as Seattle, I would never walk downtown in anything but enclosed shoes.

Socks, however, fuck socks. Get stinky shoes? Throw them in the deep freeze overnight to kill the odor causing bacteria. Shit like febreeze doesnt penetrate the foam soles of your shoes like temperature shifts do.
>>
>>725033

Nothing. People just like to pretend they're special snowflakes.
>>
>>724558
Not everyone goes hiking in hobo tent cities under the bridge.
>>
File: 20150203_160935.jpg (450KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150203_160935.jpg
450KB, 2048x1152px
godtier camps shoes, dont like hiking in then, il stick to boots thank you very much
>>
>>725061
Where do you get such lovely things? Or must I make my own?
>>
>>725244
Of course they did. I'm not denying that.

>>726372
Might take a few pictures of them later on if I can be bothered.

>>727619
You can make your own, and I'm considering making some soon. I bought them from this website:
http://www.merchantofmenace.co.uk/product-category/boots-shoes/

You may not be English but I'm sure there are sites that cater to Americans or Mainland Euros or whatever you are. Just search up "viking reenactment clothing website" and you'll find something similar to what I have (although mine are Saxon, Viking is just a trendy buzzword for anything North European nowadays).
>>
>>727800
Thank you for the shoe information!
>>
File: 1446833981703.jpg (422KB, 850x637px) Image search: [Google]
1446833981703.jpg
422KB, 850x637px
>>727210
does it bother you that your toes are not spread like for wild humans ?

do you have better warmth in your toes ?
>>
>>727800
>viking
>not aryan
What were they thinking...
>>
>>727800
is there any real difference between turnshoes and native american moccasins? I love my moccasins
>>
File: Nerthus_by_Emil_Doepler.jpg (2MB, 1772x1034px) Image search: [Google]
Nerthus_by_Emil_Doepler.jpg
2MB, 1772x1034px
>>731774
I do beg your pardon?

>>728180
No problem.

>>731933
The only difference is the construction of them; they are the same apart from construction and the way you tighten the shoes.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.