[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Back when I was 16, I bought myself a big, bad bowie. I used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 5

Back when I was 16, I bought myself a big, bad bowie. I used it on a couple of hikes, but as I grew up I traded badassery for smaller and more usable knives and hachets.

Now, is there actually a legit reason for carrying such a huge knife when /out/? Or should I just dedicate it fully to being a showpiece?
>>
If it works, it works. It might not be as good as a dedicated bushcraft knife, but if you like it and you can use it well, I cant see any reason not to use it.
Ive carried a Puma bowie a few times without any major complaints regarding efectivness.
>>
>>724254
I think of big knives the same way that I think of wool blankets and 4 man dome tents: If you're car camping it'll make things easier and more comfortable, if you're hiking, then it's a frivolously heavy item that's probably best left at home. Ultimately though, it's a personal choice. I know big guys that can carry an extra pound or two without much influence on their endurance; I'm a smaller guy, my base weight is eight pounds and I don't even carry more water than I need (with a small buffer) to get to a fill point.
>>
>>724267

8 pounds, that's 3.6 kilos. What's the combined weight of your backpack, tent / hammock and sleeping bag? That sounds like a suspiciously light weight for anything more than overnight.
>>
>>724254

Can't really think of a legit reason if you have a hatchet. Hope it didn't cost you too much.

You could use it still but I would reserve it for when you're on your own. If I saw someone pull something like that out I'd probably think they were a bit of a wanker.
>>
That's nice to fuck around while in your property. If you go for a legit hike there's no point in carry such knife, at least for me. They're nice collection pieces and fun to fuck wood in your backyard though.
>>
I can't recall any time when out where a Buck 110 folder wouldn't have been all I needed

I've been out a lot

Take that for what you will
>>
>>724282

The big straight knives are fine for boar hunting; after all, they were designed for killing humans.

That's all I can really think of in regards to their main purpose.

The smaller bowies are fine for MP stuff (7 inch blade or smaller), and they're not too heavy. A fine belt knife when /out/ IMO. Like a KA-BAR.
>>
>>724281
41 oz. on 40F sleep gear. But I don't use a tent and sleeping bag, per se. I use a Thermolite extreme liner in an SOL escape bivvy with a CCF pad and cut down poly tarp groundcloth and my overhead tarp is also my raingear, depending on what I need it for at the time. But keep in mind that base weight doesn't include food and water, so it doesn't really matter if it's an overnight or a thru-hike, you're base weight doesn't change much.

Actually, come to thing of it, I typically carry extra stuff on overnights because I'm not worried about weight.
>>
>>724321
Uh, plus whatever 25' of 550 paracord weighs. I forgot I never added that to my shelter weight list.

I figure I'm still just barely above 2.5 lbs for the equivalent of a tent, 30F sleeping bag and pad.
>>
>>724291

MP stuff?
>>
>>724321

Fucking hell when are you nigs gonna get the metric system already
>>
Tbh op, i carry knives for cooking and for filleting fish. I carry a big ass scary knife because I like it. It looks good and on some very niche applications it's the only thing that will work. I think of it as carrying a gun. 99.9% of the time is for peace of mind .1% of the time you may use it to beat a stake in to the ground.
>>
>>724648
I know, right? Because breaking one yard into three feet, feet into twelve inches and inches into 32... 32nds of an inch makes more sense than a decimal system we're all taught at an earlier age anyway.

Basically, it's because Americans have more stubbornness than sense.
>>
>>724254
Large fixed blade knives are still quite useful for processing large game, so if you're a hunter it'd be a good idea to carry one.

The Bowie pattern was designed primarily as a fighting knife before the widespread availability of repeating firearms so there are probably practical fixed blades to carry /out/.
>>
>>724648
When you give up having a queen faggot.

Imperial4lyfe
>>
>>724648
When imperial stops being a better way to gauge temperature.
>>
File: Buck-110-112-113-knives.png (66KB, 853x171px) Image search: [Google]
Buck-110-112-113-knives.png
66KB, 853x171px
>>724287
That is understandable; Buck knives are some of the best around.
I personally think their 112 Ranger makes for a good EDC knife ( three inch blade makes it legal anywhere in the U.S. barring restricted areas ) while their 113 Ranger Skinner is great for hunting. While I'm not sure if the 113 is decent for other outdoor tasks ( let me know if it is ) I imagine if you're hunting you'll have your 112 on you that could be used for other tasks. You can even customize them if you are into that sort of thing.

On a sidenote: I just went to Buck's website to get a screenshot of pic related and was offered 20% on my next purchase so if anybody has been eyeing a Buck knife now may be the time to buy.
>>
>>724811
That stopped in 1744 when the centigrade scale was invented.
>>
>>724254
>Now, is there actually a legit reason for carrying such a huge knife when /out/?

Fighting other people. That's really their main use.
>>
>>724831
>Buck 110
>folding blade
>3 3/4" blade, 5" closed
>7.2oz
Definitely not some of the best around. No good reason for a folding knife with no handguards to be that heavy.
>>
>>725037
Yeah carrying one is more of a fashion choice nowdays, and people see them more like Swiss army knives than if you pull out your Cold Steel UltraSuperMax Assisted Tactical Folder (Illegal in California.)

Though their bowie/Ka-Bar knockoff style fixed blade knives like the Woodsman make for great gifts. Very nice looking and they're good enough for the average Joe.
>>
>>725086
Most assist mechanisms are manufactured to get around switchblade laws and are fully legal in California. You're thinking of New York.
>>
Depends what kind of /out/ you're doing.
Going somewhere where the danger is low and you have all the supplies you need? Useless.
Going somewhere where you have little knowledge of terrain, danger and if there fucking hillbillies lurking to steal your shit? Great defense or potential hunting tool.
There's better things to bring like guns and hatchets but if you need to stay light weight and could be potentially dealing with cops/security or whatever I find a small, concealable knife is a great addition to any pack.
>>
>>724803

>Liberia, Myanmar, the US.

Whellp, you're in good company.
>>
>>724254
It is mostly a man toy and not needed for going /out/. While popular on this forum with a certain crowd, you won't find them often deep onna trail.
If you are lucky it is just a man child that thinks hacking at live trees is out relevant, if you are unlucky it is some delusional fag that thinks it is good for "self defense".
>>
>>725430

Nailed it.

/thread
>>
>>724646
Military and Police I'm guessing
>>
>>725430
cough nutnfancy cough
>>
>>725547

...is a manchild, yes.

He thinks it's ridiculous to go /out with anything less than a 70L pack, and a sled as well if you plan on hunting.
>>
>>725441
Bet it drove you crazy waiting those 20 minutes to /thread your own post.
If you think it's a man toy you're doing it wrong.
OP there are many things a bowie will excel at and be your best tool. I also EDC a small folder but wouldn't dream of going in deep without a real knife.
>>
>>725088
I have an ever-so-slightly-over 3" blade assisted open (Kershaw). Anyone know where in the US this would be illegal?
>>
>>725547
but nutnfancy goes out and you guys don't.
>>
>>725756
I haven't seen him do anything for other than dick around on a motorbike for years.
>>
>>725697

Bet it drove you crazy wasting money on a knife like that.

>Not op, newfaggot
>>
File: Nice one cumguzzler.jpg (113KB, 699x283px) Image search: [Google]
Nice one cumguzzler.jpg
113KB, 699x283px
>>725697
>>
>>725756

...for the day. On a motorcycle, with 100kg of gear, most likely in his own back yard.
>>
File: laugh3.jpg (332KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
laugh3.jpg
332KB, 517x768px
>>725697

>"going in deep"
>"a real knife"
>>
Dear OP,

stop being a fucking baby and asking retarded questions.

FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN! Take it with you /out/; after carrying it around for a while, youll know if there come situations where you want to use it or if it's just dead weight.

I mean for fucks sake. WE CANT KNOW IF ITS GOOD FOR YOU; FIGURE IT OUT!
>>
>>724254
Big knives can be useful for using a flint, skinning, wood working (well, any fixed blade knife is useful for this), making traps if you're doing some recreational trapping.

other than that, I'm not really sure
>>
>>724254
>Back when I was 16
>I grew up

you answered your own question in your original post
>>
>>724254
That isn't a bowie knife.
>>
>>724282
Wow you take the cake faggot
>>
>>725020
Right, because 5.7C makes so much sense vs 46F
Because all temps fall in between 0 and 100

Centigrade is stupid as fuck.

I'd be more will if the centigrade 0-100 scale matched the F scale. It's rare ambient is outside of that anyway.
>>
>>726568

Why are you mad, bro? Did you waste all your money too? You'll grow up one day.
>>
>>726659

>All temps between 0 and 100

Are you serious or do you really not understand?

0 is when water freezes. 100 Is when it boils. That doesn't mean that those are the end points of the scale, numbnuts.
>>
>>724257
>dedicated bushcraft knife
Tell me what that is, and while you're at it please define "assault rifle" and "Saturday night special"
>>
>>724758
>useful for processing large game
Not necessary though, I've seen a side of beef processed with a 4-5" blade in 12 minutes. Having a sharp thin knife is far more versatile.
>>
>>726847
You, I like

Assault weapon is better than assault rifle though
>>
>>726680
Of course I understand the reasoning fucktard. Having 0 for freezing and 100 for boiling is as arbitrary as F-scale 32-212.
>>
>>724648
>Fucking hell when are you nigs gonna get the metric system already

Actually celsius isn't metric, so good job looking dumb. It's SI, but that's not the same thing as metric. Do you find yourself converting from celsius to millicelsius much?
>>
>>726882
Actually celsius is part of the metric system it also not an SI unit, the kelvin is and yet you try and call others dumb
>>
>>724254

I have a 6.5 inch fixed blade that has saved my ass more than once.

You can't pry open shit with flimsy knives, or pry bark or split some wood for the stove when in a refuge. Also lighter than a fucking axe
>>
>>726860
Would have, but I'm opposed to the "w" word and said rifle out of habit.
>>
>>726865
>Having 0 for freezing and 100 for boiling is as arbitrary as F-scale 32-212.
No, it's actually nowhere near as arbitrary as 0 being either the coldest night in Danzig in the winter of 1708 or the temperature of ammonium chloride brine, depending on who you ask, and 100 being the body temperature of someone with a low grade fever.
>>
Its nice to have if some crazy animals start fucking with you for whatever reason. Also good for when when someone is showing off their knife, then you can respond with "you call that a knife? this is a knife"
>>
>>725088
No who you were replying to, but I have a switch blade which is illegal here. It was a gift and it was shipped in from out of the country in a way that deceived customs. Unfortunately its totally impractical so I never use it.
>>
>>726882

Do you find yourself knowing what you're talking about much? Apparently not.
>>
>>724267
This.
>>
>>726847
Assault rifle has an actual definition, the media is just too retarded to know that and Saturday night special is mostly used for cheap throw away handguns. Dedicated bushcraft knife as used there would simply mean that's all he uses it for
>>
Why would i get a folding knife over a fixed blade? Is it just so you can put it in your pocket?

I like the look of folding knives but i want a robust, full tang knife and i dont really care if its in my pocket or on my belt.
>>
>>724329

So basically the figure you quoted has nothing at all to do with your base weight.
>>
>>724267

If you're car camping, you may as well take a hatchet or an axe
>>
>>727698
Yeah but it doesn't have a specific definition, it's whatever you want it to be. It could include one rifle, yet exclude another rifle of the same manufacture/model for one feature (threaded barrel, for example). The same as a "Saturday night special" it's whatever you want it to be. "Bushcraft knife" is the same. Besides, I generally stop paying attention as soon as the words "survival, bushcraft" are mentioned
>>
Have any of you ordered a knife from Lester River Bushcraft? If so how was it? I'm thinking of giving them an order.

Link related: http://lrbushcraft.com/html/about_lester_river_bushcraft_-.html
>>
>>724267

8 pounds? Are you the black guy from unbreakable?
>>
>>724282
Shit, I carry an axe, big ass knife, folding saw and buck saw, and always carry 2 gallons of water, and that's just my basic weight, but yeah I'm a bigger guy. Some people give me more shit for the knife than anything else, but it's nothing more than a large camp knife that gets used as a chef's knife, I don't see why they get weird about it, it's not like they have to carry it. Weight isn't an issue for me.
>>
>>732253
>Weight isn't an issue for me.
Especially because you only have to walk the few yards from the parking lot to the campsite.
>>
>>728170
"Assault rifle" means a select fire rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge with detatchable magazines. It's a very well defined term.

You're thinking of "Assault weapon".
>>
>>732258
I can "walk" 20 miles a day at a steady pace carrying 100lbs of gear and a rifle, I'm in decent shape.
>>
>>732283

Bullshit.
>>
>>732306
Come to the stan and watch me.
>>
>>732329

So in other words, you can't.
>>
>>732329

>"the stan"

Dude, just... stop.
>>
>>724254
I have a leuku on me sometimes if im camping. Brilliant chopper. I use it for everything i need a knife for. 8 inch blade. Its the largest blade I use /out/. I also use a ka bar usmc for a general beater sometimes and as an archery knife, but mostly I carry a puukko or a bushcraft knife if i need a knife
>>
>>732283
>>732306
>>732329
>>732332
>>732347
I don't get it my brother does that on the regular in the army its like a normal march through the desert. 20 miles isn't too much and you know what they say if you can lift it you can carry it so really I must assume it's just ignorant computer-hikers trying to bash a man for his accomplishments that or my family and the poster in question are part of a superior race capable of being physically fit.
>>
>>724831
I've been carrying a Buck 119 for more years than I care to count, it's never failed me, I also carry a SAK and a Mora as a back up.

I like the Mora but I'm so used to using my Buck that it's what I reach for automatically.
>>
>>732564

I'd say it's more that you're a faggot.
>>
>>732564
neverbeenout, the post.
>>
>>732283
Fucking dismounted patrols, Afghanistan would have been amazing if not for the locals
>>
>>732329
Memories and strange how the Kandahar area was so similar to the Nevada badlands
>>
>>735260
and that fucking goddamn sand holy shit

worst i've ever seen
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 630x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 630x480px
I carry pic related as an out knife. I take it backpacking rather than a hatchet. I carry a collapsible hack saw and then memeton my firewood. Am I a faggot?
>>
>>735924
>Am I a faggot?
Yes; so are we all. Did you forget where you are?
>>
>>735926
I've always wanted to fit in ;^)
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.