[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking into trekking with two buddies this next summer,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: s-l1600.jpg (266KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
266KB, 1200x1600px
I'm looking into trekking with two buddies this next summer, but I'm missing some gear (everything) for the trip. It's probably only going to be a week or so, maybe two.

Now the thing is, I have a tight budget. I have to prioritise some things. Just now I found this seemingly large old backpack on ebay, and I was considering if it would be good enough for the trip. I just wanted to know if any of you have any experience with these types of bags? If they are complete shit I'll just get an Osprey Atmos, although then I have to budget something else.

The description:
"Large, Vintage German Military backpack for hiking.

Very large canvas, military backpack for hiking and excursions.
High volume, two large side pockets and one central. Inside also has a division.
Made of a very sturdy canvas and metal fasteners"
>>
File: pLOrJ.jpg (306KB, 680x1671px) Image search: [Google]
pLOrJ.jpg
306KB, 680x1671px
>>719464
>>
This will literally murder you after anything over 2 miles. Worst possible trekking bag you could have chosen.
>>
>>719491
I'll just get the Osprey bag, sorry for asking..
>>
>>719493
Never be sorry for asking, just avoid milsurp like the plague in 95% of things and you're already ahead of the game.
>>
You're going to an hero if you use that.
>>
>>719464
Yeah just get a newer bag that thing is ancient and you will be dying if you carry it for a week straight
>>
A fucking bindle would be be more ergonomic than that monstrosity.
>>
>>719497
>avoid milsurp like the plague
This is really, really bad advice.
>>
>>719464
What does the frame look like?
Milsurp is not necessarily bad, but yeah, like some guys in the thread have already said, if you're going for a longer hike and don't have much experience with how to pack a bag, you might wanna invest some money into a good one.
>>
>>719774
Your number one priority should be some good hiking boots though.
Also, what kind of biome will you be hiking in?
What kind of sleep system? Tent or tarp?
>>
>>719765
Agreed, milsurp is awesome for airsoft and cosplaying soldiers.
For doing serious trekking it is shit though.
>>
You don't need a $250 Osprey if your budget is tight. Yes they're great packs, but they aren't cheap.

Honestly, Teton sports makes nice packs. Sure they aren't as nice as an Osprey, but they have a decent warranty, and you can get nice ones on amazon for about $70. Another decent cheap pack is High Sierra. For a little more money, a Kelty Redwing 50 is pretty nice. About $99 on amazon, or $75 if you need the smaller size.
>>
>>719913
>Kelty
Used external frame, you should be able to pick them up for cheap.
>>
File: 206927_ts[1].jpg (134KB, 1154x1154px) Image search: [Google]
206927_ts[1].jpg
134KB, 1154x1154px
>>719891
I don't own a single piece of military surplus gear. But many years ago I did. I spent months living out of pic related and it was great. You're just a mad jelly ultralight manlet who will never amount to anything. There is no reason to avoid surplus gear. End of argument.
>>
File: 77488397.jpg (283KB, 591x380px) Image search: [Google]
77488397.jpg
283KB, 591x380px
>>719464
>"Large, Vintage German Military backpack for hiking.
>Very large canvas, military backpack for hiking and excursions.
>High volume, two large side pockets and one central. Inside also has a division.
>Made of a very sturdy canvas and metal fasteners"

Its very heavy and bulky. It follows mil standards from 1945..

plus: mil standards are the worst standards ever inventend. because mil saves always money. but humans are cheaper.

the /out/ session 2016 startet 4 days ago - many premium brands offer their 2015 stuff now on sale..
>>
Get a good quality pack and boots. Everything else can be cheap milsurp if you want. Milsurp packs are good if you're going on a hunting trip, camping, etc. But hiking 10-15 miles a day with a milsurp pack and cheap boots will make the trip miserable and you won't enjoy it.
>>
>>719919
>End of argument.
my 30 liter backpack weigts 510grams (1,12436 lb)
>>
File: 9804b[1].jpg (148KB, 707x600px) Image search: [Google]
9804b[1].jpg
148KB, 707x600px
>>719919
Milsurp is good, depending on the army and the era the item is from. You don't want a polish backpack with two pieces of linen as the shoulderstraps for weeks on end, but the one in your picture seems to have a good frame and good pads on it. Use common sense, and try the backpack on (with weight on it) if possible before purchasing.

I've heard good things about milsurp dutch and german backpacks, they seem to be plentyful on the market. Pic related
>>
>>719929
>use common sense
was all i was trying to say
thanks
>>
>>719929
>(with weight on it)
real /out/'s dosn't have weight problems.

>>719926
>>
>>719913
>>719916
>external frame
I didn't know you were on 4chan, grandpa.
>>
>>719929
My biggest problem with the ALICE pack was the lack of padded waistband. If it had one I'd consider getting another one.
>>720082
What advantages does an internal frame offer over an external one? It's certainly not comfort.
>>
Nigger that's a canoe pack so you can portage. Not a trekking pack
>>
>>720134
And external frame can be better with very heavy loads. They also can be free standing so when you take off your pack it doesn't fall over (not all of them do). They also are easier to attach extra things to, and can be a little bit cooler temperature wise than internal frame. They perform better if your load isn't packed evenly.

Internal frames have become the standard nowadays. They fit closer to your body, and contour to your back distributing the load more evenly as l9ng as they are packed right. They also are more form fitting on the sides so they don't get caught on brush as easy. Some are also much lighter than external frames. I think most people would say they carry more comfortable as well.

Both work, both have their advantages. Really it's kind of hard to find new external frame packs because they just aren't very popular.

>>720082
You're replying to 2 people, one of them said nothing about external frames. The kelty Redwing 50 is a modern style internal frame pack.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.