[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides Alaska, what's the best state to live in for that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

File: mountain-log-cabin-17767.jpg (418KB, 1728x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mountain-log-cabin-17767.jpg
418KB, 1728x1080px
Besides Alaska, what's the best state to live in for that log cabin in the mountains, snowy winters, tons of game to hunt, lots of fishing, type of /out/ place to live?

I currently live on a farm in Texas and it's boring as fuck. I want some trees and mountains, game to hunt for food, fishing, etc.
>>
It doesn't exist anymore for the plebs. The price of entry for that kind of a place is only attainable by the elite these days.
>>
>>718980

Really? Because I can buy what I want here for less than $400K, excluding the mountains. And the hunting because hardly any public land here. Don't feel like paying to hunt on private land. I'm sure it doesn't cost much more to buy the same house in a more mountainous state. I'm not asking for hundreds or thousands of acres. Just 10-20 adjacent to a National Forest or Public Wilderness
>>
>>718983
For idyllic "cabin in the mountains" you are talking Jackson, WY, Ketchum, ID, Big Sky,MT, etc. $1.0 million is a "starter home" for a "handy man." And it won't have any land. These are the places the movie stars and ultra rich have been buying since the 1980's.
>>
>>718987
>I want something that has 10-20 acres of land
>Here's some cities where you get no land.

Wat?

I Googled it. I don't want a log cabin mansion surrounding by a bunch of rich white people on "vacation". That is not even close to what I want or what I stated in OP.
>>
>>718978

Why not Alaska?
>>
File: image.jpg (196KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196KB, 720x540px
>>718978
Upper Peninsula of Michigan, OP. I've got family in da UP, go up there for deer season, snowboarding in the winter, and biking in the summer at Copper Harbor. We've got an old hunting camp back in the woods only accessible by logging trails about an hour and a half outside of town. Pretty quiet area, great on the northern edge around Lake Superior at Misery Bay and Copper Harbor (family is in Houghton), and tons of federal land and logging land.
>>
>>719001

I don't know much about Alaska. I've searched homes on Zillow and they all look like trash for my price range.

>>719004
Never considered Michigan. Have been looking at states further west. How is the big game there? Any Elk or Moose? Any Mule Deer? Mountain Goats? Wild Boar? Or is it pretty much just deer and black bear?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2400x3200px
>>719011
While I'm entirely sure how they do hunting permits, it's a yes to elk, a yes to moose (those fuckers means business, but I've only seen two before - granted I'm only 20), yes to cougar (and also bobcats — never seen a cougar before, but I've seen bobcats), yes to coyotes, yes to red fox, and yes to wolves, but a no to mule deer. Do you only hunt, or do you trap too? Lots of beaver and mink as well. And plenty of black bear too, obviously. And maybe(?) a Rhinelander? *spooooooooooooppppyyyyyyy*

Anyway, it's gorgeous and da Yoopers are some of the friendliest folks you'll meet.

Pic related, brought my younger brother /out/ with me over Christmas break.
>>
>>719021
*NOT entirely sure...
>>
>>719021

I hunt deer for food. I will shoot small game on our farm with my 10/22, but I don't eat it. Usually feed it to my dog or through it in the fire. Looking to get into other game. I looked up houses on Zillow within the National Forest areas of Michigan and land is cheap there. Saw houses with up to 40 acres within my budget, but they weren't log cabins. But that wouldn't really be an issue. My top priority is hunting, fishing, and privacy. Don't want to see any neighbor's houses even in the Winter when trees are bare. Will look more into up north. Is Michigan is a gun friendly state? I don't hunt with your typical Cabela's store hunting rifles. I got a PS90, Scar 17S, and an AR10.
>>
>>718994
the towns were mere reference points you fucking idiot. Who said anything about living in city limits?
>>
>>718980
Where I am in Maine, you can get 20-30 acres for $30-40,000. If you're good without plumbing, $10k would get you materials for a cabin. Bullshit it's not attainable.
>>
>>719133
>somebody asks for red apples
>you show them green apples
>they don't want green apples they want red apples
>you call them an idiot

I will donate to Autism Awareness just for you.
>>
File: DSC00219.jpg (3MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00219.jpg
3MB, 5152x3864px
Vermont. Gun laws so loose, there's debate to their existence, beautiful views, nobody lives here, tons of snow in the winter, and pretty much everything is perfect for going /out/. I saw 120k for 140 acres and a 1500 square foot house last year.
>>
CANADA
A
N
A
DA
>>
>>718978
Coastal Washington... or really anywhere in the PNW. Have you seen the series "Alone" that the History Channel put out? They're in the PNW, on Vancouver Island.
>>
>>718987
You sound like a whiny millennial that doesn't know what he is talking about

My parents retired in Northern California, completely off grid, 1 hour on a dirt road to get there, 1200 sqft cabin on a few acres backed up against the National Forest, was $150k to buy the land and build (including septic, solar/battery bank/generator), they have satellite internet, TV, propane fridge, woodburning stove for heat, pretty much everything to live as if it were in the suburbs but it's in the middle of nowhere. I would suggest looking at a BLM land/National Forest map and finding land tracts around those areas. The best way to do it is buy land right up against public land that's hard to access as your backyard essentially is wilderness.
>>
>>718978
Check out Northern Idaho / Eastern Washington. You can get 20 acres for 200k there, and that's for the tracks connected to the grid.
>>
>>718978
>it's boring as fuck
Life is only as boring as you are

Why are you so uninteresting?
>>
>>719529

Because I depress myself by living in this wasteland. People always brag about the /out/ here but it's really all shit and hype. The fishing is nice if you like catching big catfish that you can't eat I guess. I feel like a move would make me more interesting.
>>
Montana. Huge, wild, unpopulated, based gun laws...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans”
>>
>>719560

How easy would it be to conceal growing marijuana there for personal use? Since it's so underpopulated.
>>
>>718978
What area of TX do you live in? I really like East TX; plenty of trees, green pastures everywhere, lakes are everywhere if you like boating/fishing, all 4 of Texas's National Forests are in East TX as well... If you live in the northern part of East TX then the Ozarks of OK and AR are just a couple of hours away, and if you live in the southern part of East TX then the coast is just a couple hours away with all the fishing you could ask for.

If I was gonna move to a different state then I'd pick Tennessee based on climate (acceptable temperatures and adequate rainfall), cheap land/housing prices, beautiful mountainous scenery in some places, and agreeable laws as far as guns and running a business is concerned. Also, no state income tax in Tennessee either.
>>
>>719572

Tennessee has the shittiest people in the country. Typically Alabama or West Virginia gets to be the poster child of white trash, inbred, racism, etc. but Tennessee is far worse. The only halfway considerate and competent people here are the college students at UT, and they come from other states.
>>
>>719585
Well damn.. looking at maps of average rainfall, seasonal temperatures, elevations, and population densities along with figures for land prices, "high speed" internet availibility in rural areas, and distances to major airports while also keeping in consideration local and state laws regarding taxes, guns, and business regulations it seemed like a great place..... Bad neighbors can ruin any paradise though.
>>
>>719590

I've seen people throw trash out the window at people on the side of the road. I've heard of people driving cars off the road simply because they were from "Yankee" states. It was a pathetic place to grow up in. If you manage to find a house where you won't be bothered by anybody, then it may be a nice place to seclude in. And being from Texas we will all think you're just as racist as we are so you won't have much issues. But you'll realize what I mean when you go out.
>>
>>719596
Damn.. I thought some of the occasional white trash I encounter here in TX was bad but that sounds like a whole other level of trash right there.
>>
>>719454
We don't need nor want lardburgers here kthxbye
>>
File: chart-oecd-obesity-rate-2014.jpg (67KB, 620x418px) Image search: [Google]
chart-oecd-obesity-rate-2014.jpg
67KB, 620x418px
>>719654

You aren't far behind yourself fatty. It's the only thing your country is in the top 5 at.
>>
>>718980
Youre retarded.

Do what >>719136 said. Ive been looking at property in MT and you can get 20 acres off the grid next to thousands of acres of BLM land for 50k.
>>
>>719560
Fuck off we're full
>>
>>719567
Just go to Washington or Oregon if you want to grow pot dumbfuck.
>>
>>719028
Michigan's only remaining stupid gun law's center around pistols and that's going away.
20 years ago you needed to get printed buying a pistol, now they are considering trashing the registry all together.
>>
>>719310
Only shitty gun law in Vermont is around suppressors I believe.
>>
OP here. Sounds like Montana it is then.

>>720271
Don't worry. I'm self employed and will stay to myself.
>>
>>718978
why did you flip the photo?
don't like the Tetons the way they are?
>>
File: d.jpg (12KB, 367x121px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
12KB, 367x121px
>>720397
>>
>>720319
That got removed last year.
>>
>>720363
Doesn't mean you won't take up my country side view... I keep seeing new houses pop up. If you move to MT try to buy a house that's already built instead of having one built people keep showing up having a house built because its beautiful then try to sell it less than 2 years later because they don't like the cold and driving hour+ to the closest walmart/costco
>>
>>719011
Native Wisconsinite here; can confirm Upper MI is great. My uncle just bought sixty acres for a reasonable sum of money and if he and his wife hadn't decided tog build a hobby farm ( cows, chickens, etc. for the fun of it ) you'd have been able to hunt all sixty acres of it. I'm headed up there this deer season for what will be my first hunting trip ( surprising my father for his birthday by going hunting with him; something he's asked me to do the past few years ) and if nothing else I know it'll at least be a very nice, quiet /out/ing.
>>
>>718978
Maine, i bought 46 acres and 3 cabins for 50k.
>>
>>720522
I'll take that into consideration. I haven't been looking at land for sale, just homes so far. But if I could find a home with adjacent land for sale, that could be a plus. And the seclusion and cold is what I'm looking for. Don't mine hour drives into town. I get a lot of normie city plebs from California, Oregon, Washington, etc. travel to Montana but Texans aren't like that.
>>
>>720723
The cold isn't exactly the problem it's the maintenence from the snow you have to go out and clear it almost daily. Not sure what your used to in Texas as far as snow. The nice thing about all the people trying to leave is you can get houses cheap ish with some land in the hills.
>>
in Northern Washington state you can find property for sale scattered across the area around the Cascade Mountains.
>>
Try Colorado, its close to your state. Too be fair though ive never been to the state but i hear good things
>>
>>720737

It's becoming California II with all the liberals moving there for pot and tourism. Soon guns will be taken away and Muslims allowed in
>>
>>720731

I grew up Virginia and got some deep snow storms. Not at all unfamiliar with the maintenance. The only thing I would probably have to adjust to is the wood stove heating system most log cabins have. I've looked some houses and it seems the Northwestern part of the state between Missoula and the Canadian/Idaho border is where I would move to.

>>720736
But are they adjacent to any public land?
>>
>>720739
How deep? Out here you can see a foot+ over a few hours over night you can get 3+ feet you either need a blower, tractor, a lot of money, or a lot of strength
>>
>>720748

I already have a gas blower. And we got a foot plus 3-4 times a year.
>>
>>720748

Also how is gas up there? Are there any tractor/farm supply stores that allow you to fuel up? We usually stockpile gasoline in barrels when prices are low. They don't let you fill that much gas up at gas stations so we go to tractor supply stores.
>>
>>719011

I'm guessing it's cause you're looking in remote places. Shit in alaska is properly remote, where getting building materials trucked in jacks up the price monumentally.

What about building there though, anon? That could potentially be cheaper than buying anywhere. And you've got to admit, it's god tier as far as wilderness goes.
>>
>>720737
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
>>719596
>But you'll realize what I mean when you go out.
Develop
>>
>>720363
>I'm self employed
What do you do, m8?
>>
>>719585
>Tennessee has the shittiest people in the country.
East TN here. Can confirm.
>>
>>720739
That part of the state has pretty mild winters if you're below about 5000', honestly.
>>
>>719004

You forgot to mention the beautiful mountains in the UP.
>>
I'm also in Maine, if you head to Aroostook County "The County" as we fondly refer to it, you can get land, a small place to live and plenty of natural resources for a very modest investment. And nobody here gives a shit what you hunt with or have for guns, as long as it's larger than a .22 rimfire for deer and steel shot for migratory fowl
>>
oh yeah, but if snow is a problem you'll be fucked, we only have like 6 months at best (more like 5) that are snow free, and even that's a an unknown (I've seen it snow and/or hail in june)
>>
they don't call it the dirty south for no reason
>>
>>721085
I trade futures contracts for crude oil. Thinking of getting into gasoline and crops/livestock.

>>721120
I looked at houses in the other areas and they don't really suit my needs. They are more plains/farm land like and you can see neighboring houses in the pictures.

>>721189
It sounds nice but there's no National Forest in Maine. I don't want to be limited to my own backyard for camping, hunting, fishing, etc. I don't want to have to drive somewhere for that either. Want to be able to hike out of my back yard into a National Forest trail or something.
>>
>>721198
What brokerage service do you use? I've been using Interactive Brokers for stocks and FOREX but haven't looked into futures all that much, I'd like to get into it.
>>
>>721218
NinjaTrader Brokerage through Dorman Trading.
>>
>>721224
Thanks, I'll check them out. I think I can trade futures contracts through IB as well but I'd like to compare platforms and fees at least.
>>
>>721163
Yea, I mean I go biking and snowboarding up there around the Porkies, Copper Harbor, and Mt Bohemia. But I also go to ETSU in the smokies and work over the summer in NM in the Rockies, so I tend to be hesitant to call them "mountains" because then I just get a bunch of shit from people

"Hurr durrrr, you call THOSE mountains????"

But yes, point taken.

UP, OP!!!
>>
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/513-Spruce-Gulch-Rd-Helmville-MT-59843/2100865259_zpid/?trv_cid=78a3260d513eb87048562a8f883985b371f1b5b1&utm_source=Trovit&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=campaign1
>>
>>721466
>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/513-Spruce-Gulch-Rd-Helmville-MT-59843/2100865259_zpid/?trv_cid=78a3260d513eb87048562a8f883985b371f1b5b1&utm_source=Trovit&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=campaign1

I'd imagine it smells awful.
>>
>>721466
who builds a house out of plywood?
>>
>>721466

Not my cup of tea. Seems a bit trashy.

I'm looking for a 3 bed 2.5 bath house with a finished basement. Preferably a second living room or formal office on the main floor as well. Then a large workshop. I know from looking at houses in Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc. that it seems normal to buy one of those large metal airplane hanger kits. Would be nice to have something that large. I could store my snow blower, ATV, could buy a snow mobile, etc.

The only problem is finding what I want adjacent to a National Forest. They all seem to be $50-100K or more outside of my budget. I guess I could turn my acreage filter down to 10+ acres instead of 20+
>>
OP here. Is the Michigan and Montana anon still lurking?

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/224-Slide-Rock-Road-Sportsmans-Paradise-Wt-Cameron-MT-59720/2102346133_zpid/?view=public
Here's my ideal house in southwest Montana. Just not digging the land it's on. Wish it had some tree cover. 20 acres within either the Beaverhead or Gallatin National Forest. I can't tell.

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1622-Gingerquill-Dr-Grayling-MI-49738/106334789_zpid/?view=public
Here's a house in Michigan. 17 acres within Huron National Forest.

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5450-Carlson-Rd-Manistee-MI-49660/115987030_zpid/?view=public
Another house in Michigan. 80 acres within Manistee National Forest.

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23811-Chamberlain-Rd-Ontonagon-MI-49953/2140709799_zpid/?view=public
Yet another in Michigan. 151 acres close to Ottawa National Forest, but not adjacent how I'd like.

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/449-Airport-Rd-Elizabethton-TN-37643/2100326038_zpid/?view=public
I know somebody said Tennessee has shitty people but I looked anyways. This looks like a real nice house. It's only 10 acres but it's within the Cherokee National Forest which is fucking huge.

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15327-S-Highway-21-Republic-WA-99166/2103521419_zpid/?view=public
This is a house in Washington with a fucking battle tower it looks like. Pretty based. ~20 acres. I don't know if it's adjacent technically but it's right next to Colville Indian Reservation. What are the laws like for camping/hunting on Indian Reservations? Should I stay away from this place?

Michigan looks really nice actually, but I just get that pit in my stomach thinking about missing out on Rocky Mountain views . Looking into Washington and Idaho. Colorado has perfect homes but I don't want to live in a liberal cuck state.
>>
Would it be a terrible foul to just buy some land that I really like and have a log cabin shell built, and then /diy/ the renovations the furnishing? I plan on running solar and possibly wind turbine for electricity, with a backup generator. Thinking of going with a propane/gas stove so I will get a propane/gas backup generator. Have no idea about water/plumbing. Heating I don't about either. Haven't researched home building.
>>
>>718978
go no further than your pic, op. Good ole Wyoming... but fuck off we're full
>>
>>721935

Then don't post
>>
>>720277
>Oregon
Fuck off. We're full, too
>>
>>720169
where in montana?
>>
>>721491

I went to take a look at it. At 100K I thought it would make a good hunting cabin + ground.

It doesn't so much stink as it it just plain dirty. Obviously lived in quite a lot by people who worked a lot and had little time for housekeeping.

>>721492
Someone who doesn't want to fuck with drywall? The place is tolerable inside, though the fact that every single wall and ceiling is plywood gets a little boring.

If you moved this place to Tribeca or West Loop, some guy in his 30s would happily pay $2500/month to live on site with his chicken coop.

>>721518
So one of your additional conditions is move-in ready? Because at 100k you'd have $300k left in your budget to finish it out as you wish. You strike me as cut from the same cloth as the people you claim are driving up prices in all the markets you want to live in. You want to replicate your current lifestyle in the wild, as if the geographic location is the thing that makes it unfulfilling for you.

Protip: it is the lifestyle and the attachment to 'stuff' that is unfulfilling, not the location.
>>
>>718978
Mountains are over rated.

They are for those who need visual stimulation constantly.
>>
>>722218
Just look on zillow. Ive been watching some around Missoula.
>>
>>721531

Not the same michigander, but i grew up there. Moved to WI for work. I absolutely miss the snow. Anywhere on the west side of michigan will get tons of snow due to lake effect. If mountains are your thing, michigan is pretty flat. There are some places in the UP that are hilly, but nothing like the west. You move to michigan for the lakes and fishing.

The UP is better than the lower, but there isn't much for jobs. Huge for recreation around marquette and munising. I used to go up for several weeks in the summer for ATVing and kayaking. Winter for snowmobiling. The trail system stretches over the entire peninsula and is available year round.
>>
>>722273
>The trail system stretches over the entire peninsula and is available year round.

Not OP or the person you're replying to but how are those trails managed in the summer?

Are they open to people taking 4wd or dual-sport motorcycles down them in the summertime or are they "winter access" only?
>>
File: nsierlnsklnvksdf2.jpg (140KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
nsierlnsklnvksdf2.jpg
140KB, 1000x750px
>>722276

This is the kind of thing to expect. The designated trails are wide and pretty flat. There are countless side trails that lead to bars, gas stations, quarries, mud holes, etc. Some of those can get pretty gnarly, but fun. On the regular routes we've met jeeps and dual sports. There is still a lot of logging that goes on in the UP too, and exploring all the logging trails is a lot of fun, as they change from year to year. Nobody up there cares about people riding on trails like that. Quarries are a bit questionable.. just don't get caught.

You don't meet other people on the trail very often. I used to go out all day town to town and gassing up/eating along the way. Pass by maybe 1 or 2 people the entire day. That's the summer though. Tons of snowmobilers in the winter.
>>
>>722296
Well I'm from TX and have a dual sport motorcycle and have a 1-2 month motorcycle trip in the works for this summer after I sell my house so I was just wondering what all the UP of Michigan had to offer for me if I decided to head up the Rocky Mountains and then head East.
>>
File: DSC_3107.jpg (146KB, 1200x1140px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3107.jpg
146KB, 1200x1140px
>>722300

I'd say it's more offroad oriented. When my dad and I started driving up there and we didn't know the trails, we'd run into knee deep water and other obstacles. It was off the designated trails most of the time, but not always. It can be done with limited off-road capability if you know the trails already, but if you don't it can get tricky. Trails are maintained mostly for winter, when mud and water is frozen.

There's only 2 ways into the UP, from the wisconsin side, or across the Mackinac Bridge. There are some really cool places to stop on the way through, but going across the bridge and through the lower is really boring. If you did, you'd be better off coming in through wisconsin and leaving the same way.

There are a few cool places, but it's pretty sparse. Sugarloaf "mountain", porcupine mountains, pictured rocks, logslide, castle rock. They're all places you go for other recreation though, hiking, kayaking, hang gliding. As much as i love michigan, I don't know if it'd be worth biking through.
>>
File: DSC_2934.jpg (206KB, 1500x1057px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2934.jpg
206KB, 1500x1057px
>>722315

And sugarloaf... damn I work too much. Looking through these pictures I forgot how long it's been since I took a vacation.
>>
>>722296
>>722315
>>722317
Man, always crazy to see how green everywhere that isn't the west is. That looks nice.
>>
>>722315
>going across the bridge and through the lower is really boring. If you did, you'd be better off coming in through wisconsin and leaving the same way.

Eh, I really hate feeling like I'm backtracking when on motorcycle trips, I try to set my route up as a giant loop. I've got some family in Ohio that I'd go visit if I got as close as Michigan so I'd definitely be riding down the LP. I can manage 500 miles a day on highways when I really need to get somewhere on that bike so if I find the LP too boring I can always just ride through it in a day but I'm sure I could find some interesting stuff there. Also, there's a small city called Mt. Pleasant on the LP of Michigan that I'd like to at least ride through since I was born and raised in a small city in East TX that's also named Mt. Pleasant.
>>
File: Lake-Vermilion-978x426.jpg (66KB, 978x425px) Image search: [Google]
Lake-Vermilion-978x426.jpg
66KB, 978x425px
>>718978
North woods of the midwest.

Specifically northern Minnesota. Not much mountains but up on the arrowhead and on the north shore drive from Duluth/Superior, it's a little mountainous, and scenic as all hell. Fishing is great and there are trees as far as the eye can see.

Wisconsin has practically the same scenery though, I am biased because I am a Minnesotafag.
>>
vermont
>>
>>721198
>It sounds nice but there's no National Forest in Maine. I don't want to be limited to my own backyard for camping, hunting, fishing, etc. I don't want to have to drive somewhere for that either. Want to be able to hike out of my back yard into a National Forest trail or something.

Its all state land. And 90% unpopulated.
>>
>>722315
is there enough space to clif jump off that
>>
>>722649
Ignore this. This guy doesn't know. Vt pretty much sucks.
>>
>>722678

As does most of New England. It's either cities or rich white people buying up all the /out/ land to build their mansions.
>>
>>719310
Minnesotafag here. This looks like my kind of place. Cheap land, and more snow? We have only had cold and a half foot of snow for the last 3 winters. How is the job market/availability of women?
>>
>>719596
Person from TN here, I've lived most of my life in the greater nashville area and have also lived in a very rural town for the last 5 years or so. I think it's fair to say that as long as you fit into the narrow description likeability around here you'll do alright. That means be white and a dude and not gay, basically. There are some real nice people here and also some fucks; it depends on where you are, like any other place. I can't really say overall how nice people are since I've never lived more than a few weeks anywhere else.
>>
>>719473
Goddam that's expensive as fuckk for wilderness land. I would expect 350+ acres for 200k.
>>
>>723492
It's all about the amenities, the views and the possibility of subdivision. A large lot in a scenic area (especially on or near a lake or river) that's hooked up to utilities and a well and has a graded road is going to sell for a small fortune because most of those are bought for subdivision and/or are near popular vacation spots.

The average price for bare-bones land without an especially notable view is something like ~1k/acre before taxes. Depending on what you want to do and how much you can do yourself, paying more per acre for amenities might be advisable.
>>
File: DSC04360_zps7d74e34b.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04360_zps7d74e34b.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
OP here. As I much as I wanted to move to the Northwest in the Rocky Mountains, I think I'm deciding on moving to Michigan. It would be closer to Northern Virginia and Maryland where a majority of my family lives. And it would also be cheaper for my family in Texas to travel to.

I'm planning on buying land instead of a house. And setting up a temporary home like in the thread of that Australian guy living off the grid. At least until I plan on moving up there permanently. I wasn't qualified for a new home construction loan because my lack of self employment experience so I have to wait another year or two.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Manistee National Forest, or in the upper peninsula around Ottawa National Forest or Hiawatha National Forest. Which Forest would be better for hunting, fishing, etc. Also I'm weary of privacy living in the upper peninsula with all of the ATV/snow trails that are active in the National Forests.
>>
>>722644
looks like sweden and finland, can understand why minnesotans settled there, reminds them of home
>>
my god you burgers don't know how lucky you have it.

australia here, 300k minimum for an ultra remote piece of land (im talking green land, desert is cheap).

get closer to the cities and still want 100 acres or next to national forest?

you're looking at millions.

there's occasionally bargains but to get green land here, you have to get lucky or be rich.

i hear tasmania is better than vic/nsw though, but 40k for 100 acres is unheard of here, unless you're in the middle of fucking nowhere and buying just land(at which point building anything becomes expensive)
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.