[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/doorsman. /k/ here. I have a goal that I would like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Hey /out/doorsman. /k/ here. I have a goal that I would like your input on.

I want to hike pic related from the West side. If you want to Google it for reference it's Mt. Timpanogos in Utah. For the sake of challenge, I want to do it before the snow melts.

I hiked Baldy (a smaller mountain in front of Timp) yesterday with my dog. To stay light I took water, a knife, and fire starters. It was an elevation climb of 3k feet over 2.8 miles. To summit Timp, I would need to go another 3.4k feet up and 1.4 miles of linear distance. I would probably switch back enough to make it closer to 3 miles.

Several questions for you gents:
>Can my dog make the climb?
>Is there a serious risk of avalanches?
>Is this goal stupid/risky?
>What extra gear will I need? I was thinking crampons, a folding stove, 2-3 fuel cubes, and a jacket. Anything else?
>Is it something I should tackle all at once or over a weekend?

Not sure what other info you might need... I'm 6'3 190lbs. Not overly /fit/ but I do try to be rather physical. My dog is very energetic, heeler/coonhound mix with tons of energy. Yesterday the mountain was 45-55 degrees at 8300ft. The snow at this point was very forgiving with no need for snowshoes or crampons. The summit is at 11,752.
>>
>>717979
you really shouldn’t be climbing anything like that in the winter without an ice axe and fall arrest training/practice.

Also there's a serious avalanche risk in the spring , I would avoid until the summer and return next winter as well.
>>
>>717979
>Is this goal stupid/risky?
What, hiking on a snow covered 11'000 ft high mountain solo with no previous experience, minimal gear and even fewer knowledge on avalanches?
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Bringing your dog along?
Brilliant!
>>
Definitely more badass than a tank of helium, I'll give you that.
Have fun.
>>
>>718408
>>718431
>>718619

Glad I asked, I'll wait until the snow is off.
>>
>>718431
kek this.
>>
File: Capture.png (745KB, 834x768px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
745KB, 834x768px
>>717979
Red is slopes between 35-45º, which is a pretty narrow range of the slopes with extremely high avalanche risk.
>>
If you're headed up Timpy make sure to check out the plane wreckage on the east side of the ridge line.
>>
>>718645
what? coordinates or closer directions?
>>
http://www.summitpost.org/bomber-peak/425343

It's near a sub-peak N/NE of the main summit.
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 640x1136px
>>718621
Reading 2 paragraphs in makes Spring seem like a bad time to do the hike (mentions avalanches in the Spring and Fall slightly before).

Otherwise seems cool. Have fun mang. I wish I lived somewhere with terrain.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.