[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone write when /out/? Any kind of writing works, journals,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: Squirrel.jpg (435KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Squirrel.jpg
435KB, 1280x960px
Does anyone write when /out/?

Any kind of writing works, journals, poetry, scientific, etc. If you do, what do you focus on and would you care to share any?
>>
File: DSC01053.jpg (3MB, 2375x1781px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01053.jpg
3MB, 2375x1781px
mostly just carving drawings and notes, ideas i wanna try out
>>
>>704028
Very cool. What do you take notes on
>>
>>704030
just random things, i usualy write down things i want to try next time i go out so i dont forget, like
>try charring fungus
>look for chaga
etc etc.
>>
>>704031
Id like to get into carving. Does drawing it out ahead of time help you
>>
>>704033
mostly just passes the time on trainrides, i rarely actually look at them when carving, you should check in with the carving thread
>>
>>704034
Will do. Thanks and good luck
>>
>>704027
Is it weird that that pic makes me hungry? Also, anyone know a good place to pick up single serving BBQ sauce?
>>
>>704334
Wut
>>
>>704027
Looks like >>>/lit/ is leaking again.
>>
File: SAM_3639.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3639.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>704027
Started a sort of hobo diary when I was in England last year. Pen and ink.
>>
File: SAM_3640.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3640.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>704616
>>
>>704334
Literally any BBQ restaurant that does take out or delivery. McDonald's has some but they are the cups for dipping which pack horribly.

Where do you live? Which town/city?
>>
>>704619
>>704616
This is some legit drawing. I will read in a bit. Thanks anon. How much have you done?
>>
File: squirrelgirls.jpg (96KB, 938x644px) Image search: [Google]
squirrelgirls.jpg
96KB, 938x644px
no
>>
>>704619
>>704616
Wow.
>>
>>704027
I don't bring a pocket computer, so I bring a tiny scrap of paper and a stub of a pencil, just to write down anything I forgot so I remember for the next trip
>>
>>704616
>>704619
Emo/10
>>
I was actually about to buy a three-pack of Field Notes journals to take with me on a backpacking trip, but they only have 24 sheets and they're $3.33 a piece, so I'm getting some mini-composition notebooks instead (~$1.15 a piece, less surface area but more sheets).
>>
>>704784
OP here, Inusually just use a composition notebook, cheap and durable
>>
My avalanche fieldbook has templates for trip planning and snow study, plus reference pages for snow grains, weather, communication/teamwork, etc .... so its a good referenc e to have. Don't use it as much as I should though.

Also have a small composition notebook, grwat for jotting down notes/sketches and I don't care if I rip pages out of it to give to someone. Zippered pouch I keep both in has spaces for pens/pencils/markers.

Don't really doodle or freewrite, everything I write is more technical. Never really enjoyed freewriting.
>>
>>704616
I can't read most of your handwriting because I'm a basic motherfucker, but I laud your dedication to your work. It's very nice to look at.

I wish I had the committment to keep up a travel journal. I'm always so invested in what's going on around me that I rarely get the chance. When I get some alone time I like to write. I think poetry is nice - It makes me feel pretentious, and you might hate to read it later, and you might smack your head and think you're a retard for ever having written it, but it's nice.

I went to a place called Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland. Literally a valley carved out of a mountain with two 500-metre stone walls either side of it. You could walk and see waterfalls. I sat on a bench next to a field full of cows, and purple and white wildflowers, and wrote this.

>"Without delay, I find me there,
>perched still on heaven's highest stair,
>Fair Jungfrau, tallest peak of snow,
>And mine own form, down far below.
>My cautious eyes reflect just blue,
>and light with joy's most wondrous hue
>an ebbing smile, so rare to seek,
>spreads broadly now from cheek to cheek.

>On high, the arctic's palest rain,
>has melted to the river's gain,
>and now flows over cliffside crest,
>where't gently falls to final rest,
>throwing sunlight, red, blue, green -
>a rainbow there, all but unseen
>by other eyes, except my own,
>I gaze upon the ancient stone.

>I turn my gaze yet higher still,
>the fall's grey wash the coldest chill
>upon my face - my nerves entwine,
>the lulling hum of gentle kine -
>the rushing of the raging swells,
>blends softly with their copper bells,
>a symphony of nature's sound,
>round valley walls, it slowly wound.

>The water's pale and shimmered sleet
>makes grass glisten beneath my feet
>And flanking me are great guards green,
>their limbs so ancient, bristled, keen,
>With snowy boughs, all verdant bright
>and leaves so silver-black by night
>Stand tall and proud, with gentlest ease
>and whisper softly pon the breeze
>>
>>704900
Stolen.
You can read this again in my poem anthology when I publish it later this year. I think the works is going to like this one. It will be one of My better poems.
>>
>>704900
I used to commute past Jungfraujoch twice a week from Luzern to Lausanne via Interlaken. That's where I'd pull off the road to have a snack and coffee. I'd sit there and think about how small I was and the forces at play, pushing that slab of granite toward the sky.

About six years ago, I took the cog wheel train up to the observatory on top of the glacier. Fucking epicness to be had.
>>
I bring a handheld Solitaire game to pass time. Otherwise it can get extremely boring when I go camping alone.
>>
>>704900
Keats/10
>>
File: IMG_0001.jpg (145KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0001.jpg
145KB, 540x720px
>>704918
I really have no idea how to reply to this.

>>704927
That's a christ of a commute. Most of us have to make do with highways and industrial complexes.

I didn't take the cogwheel up Jungfrau because A) it cost 170 francs and I was poor as shit, and B) I wanted to see three million cubic metres of water slam their way through a cave system carved into a mountain every second.

If you ever do get the urge to revel in some natural power, go and see it. It's called trummelbachfallen. I think it's something like the entire melt of an entire face of Eigar (citation needed?) + several other mountains. It's amazing - there's a network of steel lattice walkways and stairs bolted into the side of the clifface that move you in and out of the caves, and over millions of years the water has somehow eroded paths in the rock while leaving other paths walkable. The water rushes beneath you and in random chutes left and right of you. You can reach out and touch the spray as it drops from chutes in the ceiling and runs into the ground beneath you. Plenty of permanent rainbows from the lights they put in there.

The fun part is that in the other photo a you can see a river. It's about fifteen feet wide and two feet deep. It actually runs out from the base of the caves and travels all the way down the valley. Along the way, the waterfalls along the valleyside add to it a little, so it's a fair stream. But still, kind of neat staying near this river the whole time and ACTUALLY it turns out that it's part of the runoff from these massive mountains.

I did it in... May or June? Probably recommended you do at that time or in spring. It might be fairly pedestrian if you grew up in that part of the world, but as someone who grew up in dry mallee scrubland, I've never seen anything so beautiful. God and all his angels must live in the mountains there, somewhere.

I laid down in a field of cow shit to take this photo on my phone. It's been my lock screen for four years.
>>
>>704957
Th-thanks. That's really nice of you to say, actually.
I was reading very heavily into the works of Lord Byron at the time, who moved through the area some two hundred years prior, and kept a journal of the waterfalls there. There were lots of little signs out under these falls which often had little quotes from him and others.

>"like the tail of the white horse streaming in the wind...the sunbow's rays still arch the torrent with the many hues of heaven, and roll the sheeted silver's waving column o'er the crag's headlong perpendicular..."

Not the most beautifully worded thing I've read these days. But magical, still.
>>
>>704622
Eastern WA. I don't eat fast food much, and McD's was the only one I could think of. KFC maybe?

>>704506
What wut? You prefer your squirrel with soy sauce or something?
>>
File: 1456481323312.jpg (14KB, 301x301px) Image search: [Google]
1456481323312.jpg
14KB, 301x301px
>>704900
>descriptive poetry
Literally the only reason and way to make it worth it is making it into a song, like bard songs or something.
Otherwise I feel it's only good to whoever wrote it
>>
>>704969
I think a lot of creative art is that way. Personal meaning is important enough to do it if that's what you think you should do, desu. It doesn't matter if it's nonsense or pretentious, you have to indulge that to understand yourself a bit better.

Suddenly, we /lit/.
>>
>>704970
Indeed, as a matter of fact I was talking about usefulness only senpai
>>
>>704027
I write plants and stuff, but i mostly use my /out/ notebook because i have Poe's the raven on the last page so i can read it if i forget how it goes while innawoods
>>
>>705049
>Memorizing fuck-off long poems
My nigga. The Raven was the first poem I ever memorized, back in high school. Then I learned about how the Iliad and the Quran were memorized long before they were written down, and I realized the human mind's full potential. I've got enough poems in my head now to fill over an hour of time spent alone.
>>
>>705054
It was a lot easier to memorize ancient texts back when patience was a skill learned through days of hunting and months of gardening than it is in a day in age where we don't make movies over 90 minutes long anymore because people can't pay attention to something designed specifically as a distraction.

Stupidity is winning the human race. I respect those who struggle against it.
>>
File: Mythen.jpg (154KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Mythen.jpg
154KB, 500x333px
>>704958

Yeah man, that commute was hardcore, but it gave me time to be alone and check things out. I'm in an /out/ related field so it's all good.

I've been to Trummelbachfallen. There is another super steep gorge that is just as epic between Inertkirchen and Meiringen carved out by the Aare. I used to drive by this one twice a month on my way to collect data on the Grimmsel glacier system.

I didn't grow up in that part of the world, but the scenery is just as epic. Every time I'm there I discover something new. The topography is so dynamic there. Ever been to Neuchatel? You would like the hike down from the ridge line to the village below.

Last summer, my only epic adventure was hiking the grosser Mythen, located just outside of Schwyz. I did the hike round trip from the bahnhof to the peak and back. Took about 7 hours and utterly killed me. Most people take the gondola up to the base of the granite, but that's an additional 30CHF and I'm stubborn that way. The pano view from the top is arguably one of the best places to have a coffee and a gipfeli.
>>
File: sad frog HD.jpg (102KB, 1223x1240px) Image search: [Google]
sad frog HD.jpg
102KB, 1223x1240px
I wish I could draw

there are things in my mind but I can't get them into the physical world
>>
>>705225
I understood none of the nouns in your sentence except for Trummelbachfallen. What the fuck is a gipfeli?

What's your field, europoor? I am stuck in an office and have the urge to slit my throat about once every two days. Moreso now that I found out my boss and mentor is being paid 250k a year while the company makes no money.

>meanwhile on 52k a year and stuck as a desk jockey

Jelly of your hike of the grosser mythen. Sounds absolutely grand mate. I wish I lived in a place that was just as epic. Australia isn't much; one patch of flat mallee scrubland is pretty much the same as the next. The pretty places are not exactly weekend trips away.
>>
File: 1441082210822.jpg (87KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1441082210822.jpg
87KB, 600x600px
I have my journal from 2009 to 2013 when I was homeless and worked from place to place.

> Sold my car then bought a bike and a little trailer to tow behind.
> Spend my summers in Wisconsin
> built a little shack in the woods
> would play guitar at the local bars for $50 to $100 a night maybe once or twice a week
> did a garden and a few hobbies that I sold to a farmer's market for a few extra bucks
> had about $2500 total savings the entire time
> spent my winters on the west coast, usually Portland or Seattle
> worked trades for youth hostels as a repair man
> worked a shellfish fishing boat a handful of times
> spent a summer with a traveling church as a singer

It was a great time.
>>
>>706618
This actually sounds pretty interesting.
>>
>>706618
Post excerpts
>>
>>706623
>>706654
I will have to dig for it. I know it's close by.
>>
>>706618
>>706661
Get digging son.
>>
>>706661
Yeah, waiting
>>
File: notebook.jpg (699KB, 1494x1884px) Image search: [Google]
notebook.jpg
699KB, 1494x1884px
>>704027
if i figure something out, i try to take notes
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.