[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential cool innawood things to own? So far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

File: ZIPPO.jpg (103KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ZIPPO.jpg
103KB, 1024x1024px
What are some essential cool innawood things to own?

So far I bought a zippo and an intricate musical pocket watch.

Do you know of any other products that are really cool or really sturdy?

Remington 1858 New Army (Cool)

Wather PPK (Cool)

Swiss army knife (COOL)

GLOCK (really sturdy)
>>
Cool
>>
>>677906
Sorry, I don't buy gear just to own it and think it is cool, but I really go /out/doors and use it.
>>
>>677906

>Crossposting from /r9k/

Fuck off back to the basement, you retard
>>
>>677906
Either bait to too stupid to leave house.
>>
>>677906
Do people actually use Zippos innawoods?

I have owned a few Zippos because I'm a dirty smoker. And while I understand there might be some survival uses by tearing the thing apart, a Bic lighter is much more reliable, longer lasting, and lighter than a Zippo.

Every time I get a Zippo, I end up using it for a month or two. But then I get sick of filling it up twice a week. Then the wick eventually dies out, and you need to either pull it out or get a new one. And god forbid you don't use the Zippo for a few weeks, it will surely be dry when you want to use it.

A full-size bic will last me at least 2 months of smoking way too many cigs.
>>
>>677914
>Do people actually use Zippos innawoods?
Not really, some nostalgic people might do.
A Bic ligher is what most people prefer.
If you have to cross frozen water in the arctic winter it might also be a good idea to have a ferro rod with you. But most people just use a ferro rod because it looks 'cool'.
>>
>>677906
zippos are worthless and I would never bring one innawoods or rely on 1.
>>
File: sku_1320_1.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sku_1320_1.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
I have one of these in my backpack and one in my pocket.

I mean, zippos are sort of cool but...just look at this thing! At 2.30 €, you can put these in every pocket and bag you have and they will most likely always work. Also, huge fuel tank doesn't need refill for ages.
>>
File: sku_3734_2.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sku_3734_2.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>>677937

I also have a few of these stashed in weird places.

Basically an oil lighter with screw-on top and a gasket - won't evaporate fuel or leak in your pocket. If you like the simplicity of Zippo lighters then these are similar in mechanical complexity and you can use zippo zones with these too.
>>
>>677937
>and they will most likely always work.
Actually, they don't, they are unreliable as fuck.
They are a gimmick for lighting up your bong, but there is little to no use for them outdoors.
>>
>>677941
You really wanna be that special snow flake, don't you?
>>
>>677943

>but there is little to no use for them outdoors.

Either you don't know what you're doing or you have shitty lighters because those things DO work and work just as well as a shitty Zippo or a Bic.
>>
>>677947

It uses the same fuel, ignition mechanism and spare parts that Zippos use. There is nothing special about it except it being better than a zippo at retaining the fuel inside and not making you smell like gas all the time.

These are cheap, mass-produced things that work ridiculously well - there's nothing "cool" or special about them.
>>
>>677914
Sure people do, I live in a fairly windy area and zippos work better then bics for getting a small flame going.
>>
>>677943
>lighting up your bong outdoors
ayy lmao
>>
>>677943
>They are a gimmick for lighting up your bong
They aren't even good at doing that, the flame is too large, tastes horrible, and you can't turn them over safely while they're lit.

Honestly nothing really beats bic for a long lasting reliable lighter. Bic is also better innawoods if its cold out, because the fuel is under pressure, so it'll always come out. If you get a zippo too cold they won't light well
>>
>>677941
actually I kinda like that. The rubber o-ring fixes the one issue I have w/ zippos
>>
>>677953
+ if you've ever over-filled a zip prior to going out you'll have leakage all over your pack or pocket or a rash on your leg.
source: been there, done that.
>>
>>677950
butane torches have terrible fuel life. bics really are the best.
>>
I see your bics and raise you Ronson disposable.

I prefer these because of the electric ignitor and they cost about the same as bics when you can find them.
>>
>>679953
>electric ignitor
Which is not very reliable. Seriously, lifelong smoker here, a) never start smoking, b) Bic's are best.
>>
File: lighters.png (230KB, 536x309px) Image search: [Google]
lighters.png
230KB, 536x309px
Can't believe pic related hasn't been mentioned yet!
>>
>>679969
Those lighters are for retarded stoners
>>
>>679962
I've never had an electric ignitor shit out on me.

I have a barbecue lighter that I've used for 10 years and refilled as many times. The one in my gas fireplace is 23 years old ffs
>>
>>677914
when i was in the army i carried a zippo because nostalgia, they work in wind, and they can be taken apart for many uses.

but i wasn't a recon scout and the longest mission i ever went on was 7 days.

i would never pack a zippo /out/ because it will go dry in a week and weighs the same as 4 bics. or 2 bics and a ferro rod.
>>
>>677914
Planned use = zippo.
Emergency use = bic.

In even low wind conditions bic's are useless and unreliable there only upside is they store for years without fuel evaporation.
>>
>>679970

Don't be stupid. They're basically bics but refillable and with replaceable flints. In other words, perfect.
>>
>>680857

and they don't come with retarded child proof rings over the flints, either.
>>
Are IMCO's any good? I used to see them being touted as "the Lighter" for any situation and now they're not made any more is it a good idea to nab one before they're all gone?
>>
File: torcheurojetB.jpg (18KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
torcheurojetB.jpg
18KB, 475x475px
>>679953
this is better
>>
>>680858
Also, you can use a clipper to start a fire with kindling even if you're out of butane, because you can take the flint out and spark it on its own.
>>
>>680621
I light 20 "fires" a day, for 20 years straight (yeah, the smoking idiot), thats 146'000 or so. Trust me the Bic is most reliable and beats every piezo igniter hands down.

>>680631
I was able to light those "fires" in pretty much every condition, wind, storm, torrential rainfall. It sometimes takes a bit of technique, but it will light.
>>
>>680987
This guy knows, BIC is the standard and I've never had an issue lighting anything with one. Even if wet you can hold open butane and fire a spark from flint. The flame will dry off the striker and you'll be back to god as new.
>>
>>680965
Clippers are shit. The wheel hurts your thumb and the "you can change the flint assembly!!1!" is useless because they break before they're half empty. Every single one I've had broke. They were very good twenty years ago, but nowadays only live on their name. Anything else is better. Bics are a masterpiece of industrial design in form and function, you pretty much can't go wrong. Windproof lighters are cool (I own several) but if you can't even keep a lighter flame lit, you'll have a hard time keeping your kindling lit and should find a better location for your fire.
>>
>>680987
>I was able to light those "fires" in pretty much every condition, wind, storm, torrential rainfall.
and i fucked every cute girl in a hundred miles radius
>>680992
regular lighters only ignite dry ready made tinder nothing special about bics either.
sure, carry them by all means but they are not particularly good in themselves out there.
>>
>>681004
>i fucked every cute girl in a hundred miles radius
nah, but I probably fucked their mom or sister.
>>
File: BicLighterCase.png (450KB, 489x380px) Image search: [Google]
BicLighterCase.png
450KB, 489x380px
>>677906
A Zippo is nice if you are a smoker but their uses for innawoods are not worth taking one over a simple BIC lighter. If all you care about is having your lighter look fancy buy a case you can slide your BIC in and out of. My friend had a pretty nice one before it slipped out of her pocket, under my couch cushions and broke. I've also seen a few others, including attached image, that have impressed me.

Pocket watch is not an innawoods thing.

Get rid of the gun. Guns are pretty pointless in an SHTF situation excluding the "escape your area" stage given you'll run out of ammo quickly unless you are using .22 L.R. I'd instead pack at least five days worth of food ( two days for travel, three days for your traps to lose their "human smells" which is when you'll begin catching your meals )

Swiss Army Knives are decent and they do make some outdoor models but they shouldn't be your primary tool. You'll want a larger knife as your primary blade that, ideally, can hold up to batoning ( for firewood, see youtube ) along with skinning ( the carcass of an animal ) and spearing ( tie your blade onto a proper shaft of wood for hunting/fishing ) as these are things you can't do with a Swiss Army Knife.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 800x800px
>>677906
>>
File: SilverFireScoutStoveTech.png (257KB, 790x612px) Image search: [Google]
SilverFireScoutStoveTech.png
257KB, 790x612px
>>681717
I got off the original topic with that post, sorry. I'll now list some cool Innawoods stuffs.

>Portable bio stoves:
These little stoves usually break down so they can either be contained in a pouch/stuff sack or the bots they cook in and can be either simple box constructs or gasifiers. The stoves by Bushcraft Essentials, the EmberLit, and the Firebox G2 are some of the better names in box stoves. Solo Stove and Toaks makes some high quality gasifiers but there are other names in the game too. Image related explains how gasifier tech ( NOT unique to Silverfire like image claims ) works. FYI, I'd go with Toaks; fitting the stove inside a pot/pan combo while fitting in two cups and some titanium sporks saves lots of room in your pack.

>Mini fishing kits:
Make your fishing kit fit into a tin at least as small as an Altoids can. Impress your friends by actually using it to bring dinner to the fire one night. I've seen kits stuffed into something about the size of ( maybe a bit bigger than ) a contacts case ( for the contacts you wear in your eyes ) and YouTube has a lot of instructionals on doing so.

>Fire:
Have at least three different ways to start fire. Using them will be the "cool" part. I'd recommend a lighter, a ferro/knife/cotton firestarter combo and some matches. Some companies also make some pretty cool "emergency tools" that get pretty pricey BUT will have an instant "wow-factor" to impress your friends with like the "Lightning Strike" fire starter.

>Large knife:
Don't take a hatchet to get your firewood and don't bring it with you. If all you are interested in is being cool then buy a big, quality knife and do some batoning to make sizable pieces for your portable bio-stove or open fire.

Enjoy O.P.
>>
>>681732
legit cant tell if trolling
>>
>>681717
>A Zippo is nice if you are a smoker
Smoker here, they're not, they taste like shit for cigerettes and are even worse with pot. but you're a namefag, so you're going to say retarded things and shit up the place.
>>
>>681750
Not trolling. O.P. wanted "essential cool things" for innawoods so I'm assuming (s)he's more of a camper or a collecter than a sc/out/doorsmen.

>>681755
I'm a former pack-a-day smoker and I used my zippo just because I had a leather zippo pouch on my belt. I've used matches, BIC and ronson too but have never really noticed any horrid tastes that were stronger on the zippo than any of the alternatives I listed. If you think they change the taste I can respect your opinion but I myself like my zippo and on some specific occasions like funerals still use my Zippo as a smoke is a nice excuse to step away from the masses.
>>
every single time a zippo is mentioned, /out/ just crawls out of the woodwork to bash on them. I'm starting to think that either nobody here has actually used a zippo, or nobody actually goes out in anything worse than -20C temperatures.
The Zippo's a niche firestarting tool, but since you can get them for $5-$10, it's worth it if you live in the north. Zippos can easily be operated while wearing heavy gloves, and start more reliably in the cold. They're less picky about fuel too. I keep a bic and a few weatherproof matches on hand 24/7, and have my Zippo in the cargo of my snowmobile, along with a small can of fuel.

TL;DR Bic>Zippo, but get both because they're cheap as fuck
>>
>>682179
I think we've all used Zippos in our middle school angsty phase. And they're fine if you just want that retro feel.

But they do go dry fast, not just from use but from evaporation, which makes a Bic a million times more reliable for camping, unless you want to bring extra fuel for the zippo. No one on foot would do that.

In any case, a fire steel is the most reliable long-term use fire starter in all weather conditions, even if they require better technique.
>>
>>681717
>Guns are pretty pointless in an SHTF situation excluding the "escape your area" stage given you'll run out of ammo quickly unless you are using .22 L.R.
yeah... no
>>
File: thunderbird.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
thunderbird.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
I got a thunderbird insert for my zippo. These are a gas lighter and came out before the gas zippos.

I seem to have fucked it up, refilling it. It sort of sputters now and I'm not sure there is any way to fix that.
>>
>>681732
honestly 9/10
>>
>>678032
>nothing really beats bic

Djeep my friend.
>>
File: moradora.jpg (212KB, 604x763px) Image search: [Google]
moradora.jpg
212KB, 604x763px
>>
>>677906
COOL thread, bro.
>>
>>680987
what about BIC piezos?
>>
File: SpecOpsBrandEODkit.png (631KB, 670x660px) Image search: [Google]
SpecOpsBrandEODkit.png
631KB, 670x660px
>>682218
:D You thought that highly of my post?

I was expecting a lot of "GTFO use a coleman stove" replies. Glad you enjoyed what I had to say.

I plan on getting the Toaks gasifer myself; simply because I can buy their pot/pan combo which actually can nest the stove and ( if I'm right ) two cups along with some sporks; one long-handled I'll be able to use while cooking. They are all titanium too so they'll be light and durable. It'll be nice to not be using a hobo-stove.

Granted before I buy that I actually need to buy a new pack. Thinking of going with the SpecOps Brand T.H.E. U.A.P. ( their 72 hour pack ) and you actually save a little money if you buy it in the bundle that comes with their belt/knife sheath/drop-in organizer. Pic related.
>>
>>681732
>>682455

I love you ;^)
>>
>>682214
Mine was shit also, but it has a lifetime warranty so you can just replace it
>>
>>682536
<3 awe
>>
>>682455
I like this pack, how much? I have a Kelty and it's great but I really hate the 1 big ass compartment concept. This would suit me far better if it's comfortable and can house my gear.
>>
>>677906
>Remington 1858 New Army (Cool)
nah fedora tier
>Wather PPK (Cool)
meh, p99 is alot cooler imo
>Swiss army knife (COOL)
meh okay
>GLOCK (really sturdy)
agreed

my own list

>any decent bolt gun
savage, mossberg etc...
bonus points if ww2 rifle, cheaper but a lot cooler imo. if lee enfield you are god among men
>decent non poorfag knife
>any cool goretex jacket
vintage patagonia or arcytex will do
>optics
binoclaurs
>>
>>680875
>nab one before they're all gone?

Can't hurt, might as well get one so you can find out if it's good for you.
>>
>>682710
>lee enfield
>not shit
don't listen to this fag enfields are fun for collectors but they'll never beat a mauser or 1903
>>
>>681722
l...lewd

That's great tho lol

>>682192
>I think we've all used Zippos in our middle school angsty phase

Kek so true. I had mine is high school and I'd play with it on the back of the bus. I'd do that trick where you open the top with your pant leg in one motion then reverse to strike it and light.

Bic really is better in most cases
It annoys me that the fuel evaporates so quickly. If you don't use it on the reg it's shit.
>>
>>682214
Oh snap, I didn't know this existed.
>>
>>677943
>>678032
Maybe not this chink shit, but these lighters have a very practical use as a cigar lighter when filled with high quality butane.

Cheap, poorly refined butane tastes like shit, but high quality butane adds no taste.

Zippos work very well as a cigarette lighter, but that's about all they're good for. That said, I was never unable to find a way to light my cigarettes with a bic.

>>679953
Those are pieces of shit. They always break before the fuel runs out.
>>
>>681717
you don't have to use the gun all the time.
it can mean the difference between life and death if you are left without meat and are not in top shape. you can't use endurance hunting unless your calorie reserves are topped up. a few failed attempt will leave you at the mercy of getting lucky with a trap.
>>
>>681717

Guns are very useful. Just ask the Koreans who were there for that one chimp out in LA.
>>
>>681717
>three days for your traps to lose their "human smells"
What is vacuum packing? What are nitrile gloves? If you're an experienced trapper you'll be getting game in no time.
>>
>>679962
I second both of these points. I've smoked for almost fifteen years. I've had three $50+ Calibri lighters die on me within months, several Zippos leak fuel or otherwise run out at inopportune times. Hundreds of BICs last until or after the was no visible fluid left, and never one failure. Even if they get wet, water can just be shaken/blown away.

Also, once you're hooked, there's just no benefit besides preventing withdrawal. Don't start.
>>
>>684092

>muh opinions!
>>
File: 183104_RAMASSE_MONNAIE_CARBONE.jpg (641KB, 2048x1374px) Image search: [Google]
183104_RAMASSE_MONNAIE_CARBONE.jpg
641KB, 2048x1374px
>>677906
Opinel carbon blade.
>>
>>677910
No, no. I'M sorry that you're a condescending buzzkill, not to mention a dick of an unreal caliber.
>>
File: ronson_whirlwind.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ronson_whirlwind.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>679953
I use ronson wick lighters and I find them pretty good compared to zippos which I always had problems with. In short I like Ronson products. I use a ronson whirlwind from the 40s I found in some of my grandpa's junk after he died. A tonne of old lighters that didn't work. I repaired a bunch of them. I like the whirlwinds because they are very durable and also have a pull up wind guard. I also find the small wick cover allows less fumes to escape over time so that I'm not refilling nearly as much as a zippo.

These lighters you showed are called piezoelectric. There's a small crystal which when compressed produces current which is used to generate a spark. The benefit to these is the flint (and by flint we are talking about the same material as a firesteel actually) in a bic lighter has a finite number of sparks. That being said it will probably last 3 times the life of the butane lights in the lighter. A piezoelectric lighter is best if it can be refilled with butane easily.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.