[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite piece of gear you own, /out/? Mine is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: 81SxGzfdGPL._SX522_.jpg (23KB, 522x436px) Image search: [Google]
81SxGzfdGPL._SX522_.jpg
23KB, 522x436px
What is your favorite piece of gear you own, /out/?

Mine is my space saver mug, often i'll forego a mess kit and just bring this, fits a can of chili, 20oz of water, 2 packs of ramen, etc. and it fits on the bottom of a nalgene bottle.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>668397
That headlamp is pretty great. I have been using flashlights like a poor person for way too long.
>>
>>668397
I have a pot and bowl that snug in on each other and have a cover that strings them up. I can fit a mini stove inside. /cosy/

My favourite piece of kit when I'm actually out is usually the stuff I wouldn't care to mention, but water tight compression sacks. Keeps everything tidy and dry (for as long as I can manage anyway).
>>
>>668397
What mug is that?
>>
>>668397
A Mammut Eiger extrem pro Jacket
>>
>>668397
A Mammut Eiger Extrem Jacket with 28.000mm Waterscale
>>
>>668397
Not technically a single item, but I use them as one: SOL Escape bivvy and Thermolite extreme liner. Takes up next to no space or weight and gets me down to 40F in shorts and a T shirt, lower with thermals, insanely low if I bring a sleeping bag. Otherwise just these, a GI poncho/tarp and a pad.
>>
File: k50-head.jpg (75KB, 559x185px)
k50-head.jpg
75KB, 559x185px
honestly prolly my Pentax K-50. It doesn't afraid of hard knocks, cold, rain, mud or dirt
>>
>>668626
olicamp space saver mug, anodized
>>
>>668397
>fits on the bottom of a Nalgene bottle

Why the hell is your water bottle empty?
>>
File: 119711_ts.jpg (89KB, 1154x1154px) Image search: [Google]
119711_ts.jpg
89KB, 1154x1154px
>stainless steel
>can be used in so many ways
>hang it up or plonk it straight in the fire. It won't care
>build like a tank and a half
>can pack all my cooking stuff inside
>you can cook multiple things at once without mixing ypur ingredients
>also its cheap.
>the D rings on the skillet/pan is so you can stick a stick through for a longer handle that won't get hot. I honestly don't know why more sets have this feature its fantastic

I've had it longer then /out/ has existence and the only thing that's worn is the paint and a tiny bit of dull rust inside one of the hinges I can't quite get to or rather. I havnt bothered
>>
>>668397
Merino wool long johns....expensive as fuck...100 for bottoms 120 for top. But super comfortable and truly wicks moisture away...you can hike three miles, pull off your pack and the wind won't chill your back...best money I ever spent.....warm as hell too.
>>
>>669104
What brand and weight?
>>
>>669099
What is that?
>>
>>669138
I forget the exact name. Some military designation.

Just look up swedish army mess kit. There is an aluminium version too
>>
File: gp.jpg (129KB, 880x660px)
gp.jpg
129KB, 880x660px
/g/ here.
I'm quite fond of my Guide 10+ Adventure Kit.
Got to keep those consumer electronics charged.
>>
Probably either my jetboil or my Sawyer water filter. They both just offer so much utility for how little space they take up.
>>
>>668397
>compass
>pocket knife
>50hr 1x'AA' LED flashlight
I panic without them. Luckily they're portable.
>>
My esee junglas. Was a gift from my dad who passed away shortly after gifting it to me. Nice lil hacker that is perfect for what I do.
>>
>>669088
ON the bottom not IN the bottom he means it goes around it like a sleeve
>>
>>669070
Thank you. I'm looking to get my first mug/small pot for solo trips where I would'nt need any other cooking gear or stove, since I always light a fire anyways. Right now I carry a full fucking trangia-set because that's what I have.
>>
>>669338
well look no further, also consider bringing a lid of some sort if you cook on campfire, it doesn't come with one.
>>
back about a year ago i camped in an area where the soil was almost entirely slate tailings, my alloy pegs got banana'd into uselessness and i almost lost the tent in the night's gales.
i got a bit upset.

these replacement pegs are made out of stainless rebar, bent with an acetylene torch and a cheater bar. they weigh half a pound each. just hefting one makes me smile.
>>
>>669542
That bag must be heavy as fuck
>>
>>669542
Interesting. This is something I worry about.
Did you try many guy-lines and attach them to the largest rocks around?
>>
>>669107
Not him. I have the Icebreaker 260 baselayer top and it is AWESOME!
>>
>>669099
I love mine too, but I got drunk one day and cleaned the paint off the bottom. Wish I hadn't have done that.
>>
>>669542
>bagofmaggots.thumbnail
nice try, I'm not falling for that one
>>
>>
>>669492
Foil will work.
>>
>>669492
My only concern is the volume. Im not sure >24 oz/>0.7 liters will be enough for my dinner. How does that work for you?
>>
>>669976
My most common dinner is to boil a bag of brown rice and add a can of chili, its more than enough volume for that. For breakfast its far more than enough volume to boil water for oatmeal packets and coffee in one go.
>>
>>669997
Also most Mountain House meals just need 2 cups (16 oz) of water so it'll do fine.
>>
>>669173
Wouldn't a hand crank or something be more reliable?
>>
>>669173
>having to be wired while /out/

fucking pathetic desu sempai
>>
>>669999
>9999
I've tried to make the freeze dried stuff according to the manufacturer's instructions and gave up years ago

2 cups of boiling water never sufficiently rehydrates them
I'm sure it's the altitude, so I have a whole different protocol when making those things
>>
>>670029
Make half of it in a mug. Stir, cover, stir the bottom, and let it sit for 20 minutes or whatever that is in metric time.
>>
>>670139
>before leaving repack in zip lock since the supplied bag is useless
>dump contents into pot
>cover with water and stir
>let sit 20 minutes
>fire up stove
>bring to boil, stirring
>boil for 5 minutes
>let sit 10 minutes
>check if rehydrated, if not boil again
Cooking is hard at 12,000ft
>>
>>670170
Why not bring a mini pressure cooker or something?
>>
>>670175
Because they weigh 2lbs
I just try save the freeze dried stuff for nights at lower elevations
It's amazing how different 9,000ft is vs. 11,000+. I don't think the relationship is linear
>>
>>670194
Are you really such an ultralight fiend you can't spare 2lbs of weight to save you hours worth of time and effort every trip?
>>
>>670197
2lbs is a lot.
I’d rather go farther each day, or carry 2lbs more food so I can stay out longer.
Besides, I cook dinner at the end of the day, so it’s not like I have a ton of shit to do.
And there are some meals I just won’t cook when I’m really high
>>
>>670175
I have to admit a mini Ti pressure cooker > mini Ti dutch oven!

Can anyone source either?
>>
>>670320
>really high

dude, what?
>>
File: sesh.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
sesh.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>670360
In elevation
and intoxication
>>
>>670320
Well how much does your current cooking vessel weight?
>>
>>670373
<10oz.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.