[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily wedge thread. Pic is mine, made of aluminum, very light,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 13

Daily wedge thread.
Pic is mine, made of aluminum, very light, easy addition to any kit. Can split logs for days with no worries at all.
Lets kill this batoning meme shit.
>>
I do have a wedge but I don't carry it with me. I've never really needed to split wood outside of home use. I can see where it would be a good carry while /out/ if you know you're going to need a lot of lumber for fires. Mine always gives me great uniform splits, and you can use absolutely anything to drive it. Never let me down once. Tip: its best to leave it dull , that way the split goes with the grain. I have seen people sharpen their splitting wedge, but this allows the wedge to cut its own path and you end up working against the grain of the wood creating a LOT of friction.
>>
>>664585
I have several wedges of different sizes, not sure what material they are but they are heavy
>>
File: 315QcETZRcL.jpg (13KB, 400x244px) Image search: [Google]
315QcETZRcL.jpg
13KB, 400x244px
Ampco Safety Tools flange wedge
Nonsparking, Corrosion Resistant, Beryllium free
2.1 Ounces
$10.21 on Amazon
I give it five stars, works great. Though I don't end up needing it much... when i do its a life-saver.
Is wedge-ing really a thing?

pic related, from amazon.. sorry I don't have pictures of my wedge just floating around.
>>
>>664593
>wedge-ing really a thing?

If you can't afford a log splitter it is.
>>
>>664585

Do you actually carry a wedge while hiking?? That's what you, or somebody seemed to be implying in a thread earlier anyway. What do you hit it with?

A metal wedge is very useful for helping split bigger side rounds for firewood but I wouldn't carry one with me. If I'm working with chainsaws I have a load of plastic felling wedges that are handy for all kinds of shit. And some high-lift suckers too.
>>
File: IMG_20160106_163222287.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160106_163222287.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
I've recently taken to wedging more when splitting firewood for large logs, I can place it where I want to get the splits I want and just keep hitting it until the log splits
As opposed to my fiskars (great for small logs) but struggles with the larger stuff sometimes
>>
>>664634
FISKARS is sooo terrible would be so embarrassed to be you. American made union quality tools are what you need to buy. No chinese made european brand garbage.
>>
>>664637
My fiskars if actually great in the 4-5 years I've owned it I have split 12-14 cords or so with it
Not bad at all, my sledge is an American head and I like it, but I'm fine with my fiskars for smaller stuff
>>
For daily use/car camping I still like splitting with a maul.

I've never carried a maul or wedge backpacking.
>>
>>664644
>I've never carried a maul or wedge backpacking.

well it helps not being an ultra light queer. thanks for being poseur this thread is for real men not hipsters that cant even hike .
>>
You fucks don't actually do this do you?
I got a wedge but I've only ever used it to force trees I'm falling in a general direction..
>>
Anyone have any tips for splitting elm and sweetgum?

Both have interlocked grain which is why I'm asking, plus I have a shit load of it.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (30KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
30KB, 426x240px
>>664585
> aluminium wedge
>>
>>664650
Here's your (You) buddy.

And hey.....(You) earned it.
>>
I bought a titanium spliting wedge that weighs 13.4 ozs for backpacking.
It only cost me $380USD ONE TIME and is stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum.

Carries and splits like a dream wedge!

I would like a titanium Dutch Oven next.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-07-21-38-46.png (360KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-07-21-38-46.png
360KB, 1280x720px
>>664689
>>
>>664692
> buy once, cry once

Ti has a higher melting point than cast iron and is way lighter. I just can't seem to find a Ti Dutch Oven?

Does anyone source?
>>
>>664692
Isn't it only possible to use a wedge on cross-cut logs? Because that would seem like it would only do you any good if you carried a chainsaw.

I've never needed logs for a fire. One fallen pine branch has tinder, kindling and enough fuel to burn for about half an hour. That'll boil water and cook a trout or two for dinner. If you're car camping and just sitting around a fire drinking then you can bring your firewood pre-split.
>>
>>664706
That's because titanium is a stupid material to make cookware with. You may as well be trying to boil water in a thermos. Ti's thermal conductivity is only 1/10 th of aluminium's.
>>
>>664716
But aluminum gives you Alzhiemer's and titanium does not.

I still like my brain and a Dutch Oven traps the heat really well.

Plus, Mr. Perfesser, you did not link to an aluminum Dutch Oven, which would give you Alzhiemer's anyways.
>>
>>664585
Ever since swat 4, wedges are a tactical tool to me.
>>
>>664585
Never had to split firewood in my life besides making small camp fires..

But why a fucking wedge instead of a splitting maul? Or is /out/ trying to force memes again?
>>
>>664689
At first this sounds like a lot, then again, if I break a few nice knives like this batoning like a degenerate then I've already almost paid for it, while having nothing to show for it.
10/10 would wedge with.
>>
File: lolz.jpg (203KB, 499x514px) Image search: [Google]
lolz.jpg
203KB, 499x514px
>>664790
For the weight and size its an easy addition to your kit, and gives you the option of splitting wood with something you're meant to split wood with. I can get that not everyone wants to carry a maul, but when you can pack a wedge for relatively cheap (in price, weight, and size) for splitting, using a knife seems silly. If you take the time to watch batoning videos and whatnot, it means you want to split wood (for whatever reason). So why not invest in a purpose built woodsplitter? I thought it was a meme at first but for $15 shipped, I kind of want to try it.
>tfw thinking of all that prime split kindling
>>
>>664621
same thing you baton with i'd imagine, just hit it with a hefty thick stick
>>664637
i really can't tell if youre serious
>>
File: IMG_20151223_135320.jpg (827KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_135320.jpg
827KB, 2048x1536px
He's not.
>>
>>664834
Fiskars are actuly really really nice for almost everything, some super thick shit (2.5+ ft diamiter and 18-22 inch long and frozen ) is a bit tough so I use my wedge on it
>>
File: Picture 107.png (1MB, 804x721px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 107.png
1MB, 804x721px
I never use a wedge while camping or hiking but I do burn wood to heat my house and split everything with a couple of wedges + a sledge hammer. Two wedges are required cuz when splitting, the first wedge will sometimes get stuck and the second one is needed to free it.
>>
>>664720
> aluminum gives you Alzhiemer's

No it doesn't.
>>
>>664924
It does, you just forgot because of the aluminium.
>>
>>664834

>just baton metal wedges with a hefty stick

Ah, so that's the kind of thread this is.

Nevermind.
>>
>>664964
Well you tie a nice river rock to the end with strips of bark and pine pitch first, silly!
>>
>>664790
When you have to split a large quantity of firewood a wedge is better because it is safer to swing a sledge hammer when fatigued than a maul, and also a little lighter. Plus, with a wedge you can control exactly where it splits
>>
>>664964
You could make a wooden maul pretty easily. I mean this is the most basic of tool making, barely above primate level.
>>
>>664967
>>665152

Cool so I should bring a decent knife and a hatchet to help me make these first as well as my steel wedge?
>>
File: 1438629555067.png (29KB, 650x422px) Image search: [Google]
1438629555067.png
29KB, 650x422px
>>665311
Wow you really want things spelled out for you, maybe /out/ isn't your thing. You generally have to think for yourself sometimes or even get creative.
>>
>>665322

I'm just saying, it seems like the most reasonable way to do things, this no need to be a bully about it.
>>
File: 1374980466929.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1374980466929.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>665347
>internet
>bully
Oh man, sorry I've invaded your safe space with my wedge advocacy, I hope you didnt lose any sleep over someone on the internet telling you about wedges. My testosterone is just so astronomical, its probably because I actually spend a good bit of time outdoors.
Use your head, you should know what you need and what you don't. The point is , if you're in a situation where you're now having to use a knife to split wood, you're just plain unprepared m8.
>>
>>665752

Having tried it I would regard myself as fairly unprepared, if not retarded for try trying to use a stick to drive a metal wedge through another stick.
>>
>>664834
>>665752
So what you mean to say is, you've never actually done this?
>>
>>664712
So... no one has a response to this?
>>
>>666019
Its cause youre mostly right. Ive pounded them in to the side of axe-cut logs and it split them that way though.
>>
Can't you see this terrible thread is forcing us apart!?
>>
Wedge story time

>be me
>"camping" with extended
>bring unsplit wood because no time to do it
>somewhere in the shuffle of packing the sledge gets unpacked
>get to campground
>time for fire
>realize the hammer is missing
>be known as kind of a brute to my family (not a the violent kind, but the strong back weak mind kind)
>joking around one of me says we should just have me rip the logs in half
>laugh it off but it gives me an idea
>set wedge by hand
>stomp wedge as hard as I can with my foot
>split log on first stomp
>ankle began to hurt again (I had broken it in wrestling but put off getting it looked at so I could have my chance at state and it's never been right since)
>split the rest using the wood
>fire is built everyone having a good time
>>
When backpacking, a hatchet would be superior to a wedge. A hatchet will split wood of the size you will likely cut with a bow or folding saw plus it can be used to de-limb or cut to length any deadfall wood you come across.
>>
>>664903
Love those old wedges with the curly tops.
>>
This is not the kind of thread you create on /out/.
Go back to /b/.
>>
>>664681
What the fuck is the attached picture about?
>>
File: wedge.jpg (143KB, 461x491px) Image search: [Google]
wedge.jpg
143KB, 461x491px
>>667383
>>
>>664585
How can I tell if my knife is any good if I don't go batoning with it.
Your wedge is really cute though.
>>
File: lxs2gkn.jpg (63KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
lxs2gkn.jpg
63KB, 500x375px
>buying wedges
>not making your own
>actually carrying around dead weight you don't need
>>
>>667564
On the thumbnail it looks like an enormous wedge.
>>
>>666329

Those are actually fairly hazardous. Flakes can chip off and fly in any direction when you strike them.

It's good practice to grind your wedge square again periodically.
>>
File: FencePost.jpg (21KB, 260x320px) Image search: [Google]
FencePost.jpg
21KB, 260x320px
>>666131
Underrated post.
>>
>>668208
>>Flakes can chip off and fly in any direction

Yes, I'm the one that posted the pic and I can verify that that not only flakes come off but also large pieces. When struck, the pieces can fly out with extreme force. On one occasion, my son was standing nearby and was struck in the thigh by a piece the size of a grape making him cry and leaving a bruise. I always wear safety goggles when using them and I do indeed trim them down regularly. The wedge in the pic with the long curls was sort of an experiment. I was curious to see just how long the curls could get before cracking.
>>
>>664716
>thermal conductivity is only 1/10

thats with equal material thickness

Ti cookware is thinner than aluminum due to its strength, so what is lost in conductivity versus a material of the same thickness is made up for by the fact that there is less material that needs heated.

in other words it will take about the same time and an about an equal amout of fuel to cook in aluminum or Titanium, except the titanium saves you a few ounces of weight
>>
>>664585
>>664593
>>664597
>>664634
>>664621
>>664681
>>664712
>>664790
>>664903
>>664990
You guys are aware that all the wedges you are showing are not designed for splitting wood right? They are for sticking into the cut when you are felling a tree so the tree doesn't flex and pinch the saw blade making it get stuck.
>>
>>664593
What does the lack of beryllium do?
>>
>>664585
This batoning meme you speak of only exist because you acknowledge it. You are the ultimate edge lord, literally.... Autistic faggot
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.