[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would your advice to a first-time *solo* backpacker be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Baaackpaaack.jpg (23KB, 350x234px) Image search: [Google]
Baaackpaaack.jpg
23KB, 350x234px
What would your advice to a first-time *solo* backpacker be? I have a nice wooded location set in mind, so what sorts of things would you think I should pack? I know you have to pack essential things, but not overpack, and still have adequate protection and first aid... and also how different is it from the feeling of camping with others in a tent/being in a campsite? I'm only going on a one-night excursion starting in the morning or midday to get my feet wet, and my car will be in a parking lot around a visiting center not too far away. Finally, are there any super surprising things I would be totally unprepared for if I'm already a seasoned hiker?
>>
have you ever been alone in the wilderness during the night?

its terrifying
you need to gradually ease into it by practicing local trails at night
>>
>>655226
I've never been completely alone, but I've been with friends and walked a few trails alone around dusk. Thanks for the tip anon.
>>
>>655224
The only difference between backpacking alone and backpacking with others is that you have to carry all the gear because nothing is communal. Well, and you don't have to take care of anyone who forgot shit or have to listen to anyone whine.
>>
Its kinda like this
>>
>>655229

no, you need to put yourself in a situation where you are face to face with the darkness of night and total solitude

local trails are a great way of doing this
>>
>>655226
I ran into a black bear an hour before I made camp on my first backpacking trip. I didn't grow up there and had never seen a bear before in my life.
It was one of the best nights of sleep I ever had. Thus is the life at the top of the food chain. Only pussies are scared.
>>
Here's what you do

1 Pack your essentials, a google search will give you an idea
2 without fretting over what extra gear to take, just DO YOUR 1-NIGHTER, you will be fine
3 when you get back, make an assessment of what you used and what you feel you need for next time
4 adjust accordingly
5 do it again, always take the opportunity to try something new (build a fire, cook on a stove, map & compass, carve a dick out of a log, etc etc)

You'll learn by doing and you will learn well, 1-nighters are where every boy scout learns the ropes.

Also I'm not sure if you're planning on going innawoods or going on a trail, but I highly recommend you stay within 50 feet of a trail until you have navigation skills.

As for being alone, its great fun being away from everything and clearing your mind of noise, plus you're on your own schedule. Don't forget to look around once in a while.

Good luck anon
>>
>>655224
If you get up to piss in the middle of the night, don't go too far.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.