[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How cold can you sleep without needing a sleeping bag, provided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1430508105211.jpg (89KB, 526x521px) Image search: [Google]
1430508105211.jpg
89KB, 526x521px
How cold can you sleep without needing a sleeping bag, provided you wear long trousers, two pairs of socks and a jacket?

I'm trying to cut down on weight and forfeit my sleeping bag. Temperatures will at night reach 10 celsius (50 fahrenheit). I have a bivy tent and a sleeping bad, should it matter.
>>
You're gonna be needing a sleeping pad more than a sleeping bag.
It might not seem that cold, but as soon as your body hits the ground, you're gonna start losing a lot of your heat to the earth.
>>
>>653173
yeah I got a pad for that exact reason. Maybe no top quality but better than nothing. I was just wondering if somebody has done it before. I remember camping with a thin sleeping bag at -2 celsius and freezing my ass off
>>
>>653168
http://www.amazon.com/Kaufland-Superlite-Mummy-Sleeping-Green/dp/B00IS8DGAW/

For those temps it would just be nice for comfort. This one is supposed to weigh less than 2 pounds. Between it, a bivy sack and thermal underwear you should be nice and toasty.
>>
i just tried to go around with a blanket for the last month in 30-40 degree temps hitching around the country

i got a sleeping bag again, it's so worth the space and weight
>>
>>653202
how heavy was the blanket?
>>
Why not get a top quilt. Lighter than a sleeping bag, and very warm.
>>
>>653168
If you've already got a bivvy, use a thermal liner. I like the thermolite extreme, it packs tiny and isn't much weight (I use mine with an SOL escape bivvy for 40F in shorts and a T shirt), but a fleece liner and non-reflective bivvy would still get you close.
>>
>>653231

Yeah that's what I'd suggest, too. My hammock UQ doubles as a pretty decent quilt, only weighs about 300g.
>>
>>653168
>10 degrees C
Honestly from my experience hitchhiking in Canada, you want a sleeping bag (not any extreme weather thing, just a cheap normal weight bag) so you can actually get a good comfortable sleep and be warm if necessary. Sleeping mats are not really necessary but are nice if you have to sleep on rocky surfaces. Bags take up space and a little bit of weight but they're worth it. And you can cut down on your layers of clothing since you won't need them for when you sleep and you won't need them in the day either judging by that night temp.
>>
File: jungle_sleeping_bag1.jpg (42KB, 900x531px) Image search: [Google]
jungle_sleeping_bag1.jpg
42KB, 900x531px
seems like the right thread

how low do you think it would be possible to go with a British army jungle sleeping bag with a bivy fleece liner and a silk liner
>>
>>654769
What are the temp readings on the sleepingbag and the liner? Mine sleeping bag goes to 10 degree Celsius, + up to 15 Celsius with my thermal liner. I can expect to be warm at around 0 degree Celsius, if not use thermal under wear.
>>
>>653389
Why? Sleeping in a bivvy is so sweaty and miserable. Don't you want to at least be sort of comfortable.

I always carry too much into the woods. Too much food, too many blankets. It's just more fun that way, and I don't mind a heavy pack. It's just exercise.
>>
>>654769
I've comfortably slept in mine down to 40F but that was with a pad in a tent.
>>
>>655016
The SOL escape bivvy is made from 14-S Tyvek, so it breathes fairly well. I've woken up slightly damp on my underside, mostly due to the pad. I wouldn't recommend something that would leave anon swampy in the morning. But if you're sleeping excessively warm, you probably sweat a lot more than you would in just a bivvy and liner.
>>
>>653561
>since you won't need them for when you sleep and you won't need them in the day
OP here again. I just did a quick overnight trip and found this to be true. I packed an extra jacket and sweater and the combined weight and volume would have been about the same as a light sleeping bag. They were too warm to wear during the day.
>>
>>655146
also have to note temp at night was 11-12 celsius and I sleep in a bivy and a cheap, thin pad. I was comfortably warm
>>
>>653204
pretty heavy, big 4x6ft or so wool blanket
really it did the job, but i always ended up with some part of me getting out, getting cold then waking me up. it was nice to be able to pick it up around me to take a piss though
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.