[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, I need a flashlight. I admittedly don't know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

Hey /out/, I need a flashlight.
I admittedly don't know much about flashlights. I searched ones I can get here in Canada and this is one that appealed to me for a few reasons.
1. 1000 lumens, it's very bright, but has low power modes as well.
2. Straight forward switch UI.
3. 18650 rechargeable batteries.
4. Strike face bezel that is not over the top conspicuous.

I work nightshift, usually start around midnight or 3am, and I walk to work. I also walk my gf to work or walks with me (we work in same store). Sometimes I get in situations where someone follows me for a while, sometimes acting aggressively (yelling, swearing). For example a male followed me for a good 10 minutes yelling curse words and asking for "a light" (for a cigarette). I kept walking at a good pace and made sure he didn't start running after me.
Anyway, I think I'd feel a bit better if I had a flashlight that I think would act as a deterrent if a very bright one was shined at one of these assholes. Or being able to see dark spots better. Also as above, used to strike if need be.
I live in Canada so we can't carry anything to defend ourselves, so a flashlight is a decent compromise I think.
And also just for general camping and hiking and what not.
Any particular reason why I shouldn't get this? Fenix TK16.
>>
File: Elzetta-HO-Lights.jpg (113KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
Elzetta-HO-Lights.jpg
113KB, 1200x798px
>>652960
Elzetta, fucking expensive.
Fenix is also good, but it seems the quality on their newer lights went down a little bit. Might look into surefire lights too.
>>
Make sure of the law, if you're not allowed to defend yourself with a weapon be careful of crenelated bezels / strike bezels - they may be classed as a weapon.
>>
Thrunite have done a good job shilling their flashlights, but they seem to be quite good and affordable. I'm considering a TN12 and maybe some smaller one myself. If money isn't an issue I'd probably go for Surefire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7h475VByw
>>
>>652972
No a crenulated bezel is perfectly legal here.
Technically you're not allowed to say any thing is for self defense in Canada. Say you were carrying your keys in your hand, and an officer just happens to ask you why, if you said self defense he could arrest you, confiscate your keys, and put you in jail.
Now, as long as you just say a flashlight is simply to illuminate the dark and nothing but then it's perfectly legal, strike bezel or not.
Same goes for pepper spray, as long as you say it's for protecting yourself against an attacking dog, it's fine. But if you said it's for self defense against people then it's illegal and can get you thrown in jail.
>>
>>653019

Quite different over here. As long as you know the law in your country more power to you!
>>
>>653007

This is def a /thread suggestion. Have had mine for about a yr, I abuse the crap out of it. It has lasted longer than my nitecores, fenixs.
>>
>>652960
I'm the same situation that I live in Canada and want a nice, bright flashlight that can deter attackers.

I was thinking about getting a Fenix 1000 lumen flashlight too, and so far I think it's the best bang for the buck.
>>
>>653019
>rcmp, wasp spray is for wasps

Such a beta.
>>
>>653019
> Same goes for pepper spray

If you can legally carry pepper spray in Canada then you ought to get it, along with the flashlight and a pocket-clip knife (assuming that’s legal).
>>
File: Tool Logic SL Pro Series knife.jpg (28KB, 526x355px) Image search: [Google]
Tool Logic SL Pro Series knife.jpg
28KB, 526x355px
>>652960
>>
>>654541
We can't have pepper spray unless it's somewhere where it's reasonably being used for animal control

Luckily we can carry small knives, as long as it's for utility purposes of course.
>>
1000 lumen is effin crazy... If it's proper measured lumens and not guesstimated lumens which are at best 1/10th when properly measured.

http://www.ansmann.de/en/products/led-lighting/torches/agent-1

I have link related since a year or two, and it's one of the brightest small flashlights I've owned so far. Can highly recommend for innawoods after dark. Compact, lightweight, high output.
Has a nifty on switch too, you can just press on it lightly if you need momentary lighting or click it on for prolonged use.
>>
>>654722
From the reviews and tests I've seen it's actually a tad over 1000 lumens.
I like the 18650 batteries too, they are rechargeable and have good capacity.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.