[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any experiences camping in NJ during the off sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Batona_Trail_2.jpg (192KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
Batona_Trail_2.jpg
192KB, 600x402px
Anyone have any experiences camping in NJ during the off season?
My buddies and I want to hike the BATONA for a little bit during the beginning of January.

Now, it seems like this dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xEZ4oSMfQ is able to just kinda camp where ever he needs to, but we just went back there for a walk last night and ran into a ranger who wouldn't believe we weren't up to shenanigans.
Are we gonna be able to camp for free if we move each night?

It's not just a money thing, it's not all that expensive, but I don't want to really be beholden to a schedule like I'd be if I paid and reserved each site. (And it's not gonna be possible to visit the Ranger Station each day if we wanna go the whole trail.)

We'd only need the site for one night, for three of us, maybe two tents and a fire.
Think we can get away with it? Or should I bend over and let myself be beholden to a schedule?
>>
Are you seriously asking if you will be arrested for camping at a campsite?
>>
Hi!

I've never hiked the batona before, but I used to camp and 4wheel out there a bit.

About 2 years ago most of the campsites went to reserveamerica, which is a horrible company and they charge a ton of money. Also, the campsites are really not located conveniently for a hike. I'd say pack light and plan to stealth it out, people do it and get away. There are plenty of rangers up there though, so just be aware of that. I wouldn't set up camp until dusk.

I've camped there in December at the paid sites, and it can get cold, but not too bad.

Have fun, and take pictures.
>>
>>652498
Also, if you're willing to travel a little bit, Delaware Water Gap is top notch, but it gets much colder at night. You can camp on the AT there in the off season, it goes right through the national park or whatever.

Pic related, Delaware river 1 mile north of where the AT crosses over.
>>
>>652509
Yeah, why do you think that's weird? You're supposed to pay and register, champ.
They've got rangers running around, and like I just said, on a random day, at night, in the rain, we got stopped just walking around.
I don't think it's crazy to think we might get stopped setting up tents and having a campfire.

>>652514
Aight, thanks.
Might be more inclined to try and stealcamp now.
>>
>>652546
You said you are willing to pay. Did you change your mind?
>>
>>652498
>paying to camp

This country is pretty gay desu
>>
>>652829
Like I said, it's more an issue of being beholden to a schedule.
You have to do this all in advance, so if we get to a campsite and decide we wanna sit around and hang out an extra night there, dunno, maybe we're tired, or someone feels sick, or we just feel like it, tough shit, we gotta go.
Same for if we get a pep in our step and arrive early, we'd have to slow down.

I feel like it'd ruin it.
>>
>>652890
Sounds like you will get arrested if you act as shifty irl as you are here. You deserve to be locked up.
>>
>>652498
Please bring some brown spray paint and paint over the A.
Please, OP.
Please?
>>
>>653220
You've stumped me. Which A?
Why?
>>
>>653261
The one at the end of Batona of course.
>>
>>653264
That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>653268
Neither do any of your posts you crackhead
>>
NJ resident here, no there is no dispersed camping in New Jersey. It cost $3 a night, just book for the whole weekend or whatever if your not sure.

>>652860
It's NJ bro there is no "wilderness". The most remote sites still manage to get fucked up by boy scouts, glampers, and partying teens. A few bucks so the environment isn't totally fucked up isn't so much to ask for.
>>
>>653349
I agree that the $3 is a fair price to pay, but afaik bodine field is the only site in wharton that isn't managed by reserveamerica.

Fucking hate reserveamerica, they contribute nothing to /out/doors life or conservation.
>>
>>653369
There is no reason to hate them you freeloading child. They perform a valuable service for adults who want to reserve a campsite and not find you occupying it with your druggy friends and your meth lab when I arrive with my kids.

Sorry you can't afford the five dollar reservation fee split amongst your squad
>>
>>653527
Pretty much this. Drop a few bucks on them and don't whine about it. I like being able to put up a tent somewhere that's controlled to the point that assholes don't get to mess it up but not to the point that I can't still cook on a campfire with my kids and hike trails to beautiful scenery. With this many people in the country, that's a good compromise.

>>653369
I don't like Bon Jovi, either. He and Bryan Adams are always instant thumbs down on my Pandora stations.
>>
>>653307
Perhaps if you're illiterate
>>
>>653558
>>653527
No. Reserveamerica is literally just in business to make money as a middleman. Everyone I've ever talked to at the park services despise them, their "convenience fees" are sometimes 5x the price of the actual reservation fee, and the $15 cancellation policy is horseshit.

They literally make millions of dollars and give nothing of value back to the community. Fuck them. That's not to say that I haven't used them when it was the *only option* but that type of shit is part of why I moved to an area with national forests.
>>
>>653593
They're the middleman for the government organization that takes care of the places you want to stay. They're into it for a profit, which means they're going to be both more efficient and cheaper than having the government do it instead. Trust me on this, I work for the government and everything we do is more expensive than it would be if done privately and for profit.
>>
>>653593

>Reserveamerica is literally just in business to make money

Is there a company that isn't in business to make money? Literally?

Anyhoo reserveamerica is here to stay. Deal with it
>>
>>653605
:^)

MFW millions of acres of national forest and I never have to deal with them again.

Sorry bout that anon.
>>
>>653598
except that doesn't hold any water because the state still hire's the same amount of seasonal park office workers who were the people who did the booking before that. I don't know the real reason they started using reserve America.
>>
>>653654
It's cheaper or they wouldn't do it. States hate to outsource work.
>>
File: 1451004790689.jpg (209KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
1451004790689.jpg
209KB, 600x402px
>>653220
>>
>>653662
>>653654
they got a contract from the federal government for something like 98mil, and then states started following suit
>>
>>653610
>if I lie about camping on the internet reserveamerica will disappear
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.