[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going /out/ on a week long camping trip again for new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: trail-mix-nancy-mueller[1].jpg (71KB, 600x479px) Image search: [Google]
trail-mix-nancy-mueller[1].jpg
71KB, 600x479px
I'm going /out/ on a week long camping trip again for new years.

And I've always struggled to know what food to even take every time. Sometimes its been easy with cold meats for the first day or two, but then its tinned tomatoes and carrots for the rest.

This year its a pretty stationary camping trip.

My problem is that because of the extreme heats for most of it, there will likely be state-wide fire bans, so cooking shit is going to be totally out of the question, which sucks because I'd just gotten a new camp stove for christmas.

What are some good foods to sustain someone for a week without the need to cook anything?
>>
For a week hike I once packed:

1 stick of pepperoni
4 bagels
4 snack sized peanut butter packs
4 bananas

8 pouches of flavored tuna
5 cups of brown rice

12 packets assorted flavored oatmeal
6 scoops of protein powder to be added to oatmeal

2 large ziploc bags of trail mix consisting of: peanuts, almonds, soy nuts, banana chips, yogurt covered raisins, cherries.

3, two serving mountain house dehydrated meals assorted flavors/meals

6 cliff bars

The bananas got a little squished but I ate them quickly.

I got sick of oatmeal for breakfasts but would add 2 handfuls of the trailmix to spice it up.

Lunch was usually a bagel with peanut butter and some pepperoni stick

Dinner was usually 2 tuna packets with rice or a mountain house meal

I would snack on cliff bars or the trail mix during the day.

Overall I packed a good amount for about 6-7 days.
>>
>>652144
Even with a fire ban, can't you just use a propane stove?

I mean a little isobutune stove to boil water isn't the same thing as having a fire. Even with a fire ban you should still be able to cook. Even just a charcoal stove should be fine.

Load up a cooler with beef, chicken, anything really and cook like you normally would grill at home.
>>
>>652149

Forgot to mention some of my items require a small MSR pocket rocket stove and pot for boiling water but that's it.
>>
>>652149
How much do you weight?
>>
>>652150
Nope. None at all. If we had a more open field it would probably be okay, but its a heavily forested area.

>>652149
There's only going to be about one or two hikes the whole time. And even then they'll be more nature walks than hikes, as the camp grounds will be the same the whole time.

>>652150
Open fields for cooking are fine, but not in grassy heavily shrubbed areas. Rather not temp it.
>>
hardtack m8

i'm going camping for like 5 days and i'm planning on just taking rice, oatmeal, some instant soups, hardtack and maybe a dehydrated meal or two
>>
File: tuna_in_sunflower_oil.png (162KB, 236x325px) Image search: [Google]
tuna_in_sunflower_oil.png
162KB, 236x325px
I slip a couple of these in my backpack, no cooking required. i'm also 25lbs overweight so try to go lean when /out
>>
>>652144
I've never seen a place where gas stoves were banned. Open fire, all the time. Alcohol, sometimes. Never canister stoves.

I tend to pack a lot of spam singles and eat them cold if I have to. CLIF bars, nutella, tortillas, baby belles, depending on how far north you are you may be able to pack cold food without needing to refrigerate it.
>>
File: v8.jpg (50KB, 380x420px) Image search: [Google]
v8.jpg
50KB, 380x420px
>>652197
also take some of these
>>
>>652144
>state-wide fire bans, so cooking shit is going to be totally out of the question, which sucks because I'd just gotten a new camp stove
>>652150
>Even with a fire ban, can't you just use a propane stove?

You're incorrect OP. There is NO time ever that you are banned from having a controlled fire in a cooking device.
Fire bans are open/pit fires.
>>
Hardtack m8. It's got what your body craves, plus its cheap and delicious
>>
I'm planning on bringing couscous on my next trip. It seems very easy to.cook and fairly nutritious
>>
>>652144
Since they've covered the part about it always being ok to use a stove, I'll add this bit: aged cheeses and fermented sausages like pepperoni and hard salami hold up well without refrigeration, and you can reconstitute dehydrated hash browns in the single-serving ziploc bags you put them in before you go, then heat them with spam or sausage and the hot sauce or canned tomato product of your choice, then let cheese melt on top for excellent trail eats.
>>
>>652259
>>652192
I can't eat anything with wheat in it. Got a hardtack recipe that works with corn meal and rice/potato/oat flour?
>>
File: liquids.jpg (118KB, 867x617px) Image search: [Google]
liquids.jpg
118KB, 867x617px
>>652259
>Hardtack ...delicious

only if paired with the right liquids
>>
>>652189
If it's going to be a sedentary camp and there's going to be sun, take a solar oven. Make a quickie out of a reflective car window shade, even. Keep them turned properly and they'll bake bread or potatoes for you.
>>
>>652264
The beauty of hardtack is that you can make it out of anything and its still tasty. Just switch out the what you want for what you don't want. It's foolproof
>>
>>652155

200lbs

The ziplock bags of trail mix were very large, I actually felt like I overpacked on food a bit. I packed for 7 days in mind when you only really need 5
>>
While this thread is still a thing;

What are some cook no-cook meats that I don't have to worry about spoiling too quickly?
>>
>>653178
Try hardtack that's great for cook no-cook meats
>>
>>653183
Don't think i'm gonna be able to find any in my local aldi before tomorrow morning when I gotta fuck off to a 6 hour train ride.
>>
>>653197
Just make it. It only takes like ten minutes
>>
>>653178

Pepperoni.

I took a stick of dried pepperoni totaling 1500 calories, ate it over the course of 5 days it was delicious.

They keep for a long time until you open the sealed packaging, easily could bring a few along and have them last weeks.

Also, pouched tuna. There are many different flavors and when paired with crackers into little sandwiches it's very satisfying.
>>
>>653178
Any traditional hard sausage that's prepared by fermentation rather than just cooking. Think hard salami, pepperoni, things like that. Don't think cotto salami or bologna.
>>
>>652228
this is correct. at least from where I come from.
>>
File: mingua-mild-unbagged.jpg (314KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
mingua-mild-unbagged.jpg
314KB, 900x900px
>>652144
Pic related. I carry a bag of this on my herb and root gathering trips, along with some homemade salted matzah bread.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.