[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a new puppy (black lab) and I was wondering how I go about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (126KB, 610x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 610x460px
I got a new puppy (black lab) and I was wondering how I go about training it to retrieve ducks that I shoot. Any tips for training the dog?
>>
Also general duck hunting thread I guess
>>
I don't know much but you can also check in /an/
>>
>>650904
Get a fucking book.

Literally should have been prepared way ahead of time before getting such dog. It might not even be a good hunting dog, what's more is you might already be training it to be a shitty dog.
>>
I trained my black lab/red heeler to retrieve pheasent by playing fetch with the wings. Take her shooting so they arent gun shy. My buddy trained dock dogs by tossing a stuffed mallard in the water. Just play fetch with your dog.
>>
>>650988
>It might not even be a good hunting dog
It's literally a retriever dog. It's in the name. Labrador Retriever.
>>
>>651001
So? You have to pick a dog that has natural predator drive. That means getting to know one before you take it home.
>>
>>651010
So he'll get to know his dog now, there is literally no point in playing captain hindsight and going on about should-have-dones
>>
look at hunt tests and training methods.
these simulate a variety of hunting situations.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 361x500px
This is the only book you need OP.
>>
>>650904
Might be pricy, but if you can find any local sportsmans clubs that train dogs it would be a huge help to get first hand advice if they train dogs. Bass pro or cabelas might do it. I know they sell all the hunting gear, smells, and training birds there.

Books and videos should help along with constant rigorous training and attention. They need to be very disciplined.

If you can find a hunting dog class that would be your best option.
>>
>>650904
Cap gun when it eats. Get it used to gunfire/associate it with something good like food or treats. That's all I know.

>>651010
>You have to pick a dog that has natural predator drive
What the fuck are you talking about? He wants a RETRIEVER. Not a dog that's going to run an animal. Hunting dogs of that nature make TERRIBLE pets, but retrievers can be excellent pets while still getting your birds for you.
>>
AIUI, you should beat the animal until it figures out what you are telling it to do.
>>
>>651001
Breeder, parents and their disposition are important for a working dog. Just because it's a lab doesn't make it a great retriever out of the box. If you have a child born of two crackheads or a child born of two athletes which do you think will be physically more capable? With dogs, it's the same. If you find a labrador Breeder that has excellent stock with a proven track record of producing intelligent, alert and obedient dogs then you've got a winner. If you just got one from your neighbour who had a random male and female lab to breed that dog won't necessarily be a great hunting dog.

As for training, regardless of the above, labradors aren't that hard to train. First teach it sit and stay commands as well as to respond properly to your call. That means an instant response from your dog 10/10 times. Not half the time, not after 5 minutes of slapping your thigh and saying "here boy" or "sit.. sit.. SIT!" and then pushing it's ass down to the floor. Once you've mastered that, you can teach it to retrieve. For my dogs, I use a long sock and fill it with hard cheese. Another poster mentioned an old duck wing just add a weight so you can throw it far. Teach it to sit by you and stay, and not to just run off as soon as it's in the air. You want a dog that won't MOVE until you give the command, otherwise it might get shot by someone else by accident. Throw your sock or whatever into an open and visible space until your dog gets good at sitting still until you send it off. Then slowly introduce it to more challenging tasks such as in the water or thick brush.
There's a lot more to it than that, these are just basics. Your dog has to learn to let go of the fowl on command and also not just stop and eat it. Also, it needs to learn to carry the bounty gently without breaking the skin.

Tl;Dr get a hunting dog training book and get on it ASAP. If you already have you're dog you're late to the party and need to study this shit FAST.
Good luck.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.