[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else feel it's nearly impossible to catch fish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (866KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
866KB, 1536x2048px
Does anyone else feel it's nearly impossible to catch fish when the water is cold? I only catch fish in summer, when the water is warm like bath water. If I leave my rod out for 2 hours, I may get ONE bite from a catfish. Maybe. As far as panfish and everything else? Not a chance.

Anyone else feel this way, or have similar frustrations you wanna share? It pisses me off to no end that I live in Louisiana, sports mans paradise, and can barely catch any fish while other guy are catching 50+ a day.
>>
Feel free to bitch as well, get all those frustrations out anons

Bitching general
>>
>>650849
Maybe you should be less of a bitch and learn how to change tactics.

Fishing isn't just sitting in the same spot with the same bait hoping to get the same fish.

It takes skill and understanding that's why its called fishing not catching.

On a side note got skunked today but it happens so no worry.
>>
>>650857
So are you saying that fish bite the same in cold water as they do in warm?

Also how is throwing smelly bait that I know they love a tactic that needs changing?
>>
> itt think like a fish
>>
Use WD-40 on a piece of corn.
>>
>>650913
Fish bite different for all sorts of reasons.
you need to be able to switch up lure and presentations for the season.
You seem to have much to learn
What species do you target in winter?
>>
>>650930
>WD-40
Been debunked but you knew that.
I seem to have take the b8
>>
>>650931
Pinfish/panfish, catfish, alligator gar
>>
>>650931
Pinfish/panfish, catfish, alligator gar

And I recently bought lures for largemouth bass
>>
>>650849
Where I live you can see all the fish in the water no matter how they try to hide. In the winter there are 0 fish. In the summer there are 100s everywhere.

>>650932
Seems to have worked like a charm on you.
>>
>>650938
So you agree with me when I say it is harder to catch fish in winter/cold water than in summer?
>>
>>650932
See? WD-40 does work.
>>
What does everyone have the best luck with?

Mine is 2 yellow powereggs on a number 8 hook, and a large slipweight on my mainline.

Last time I was out, others were having better luck with flies, but I don't know how to use them.
>>
>>650849
There are two reasons behind fish behavior during colder periods. First is simple biology. Fish are ectothermic, so their temperature regulation is based primarily on water temperature. The lower the water temperature, the less active the fish and therefore harder to catch. However, the second reason is the main factor in fish behavior during cold weather periods. This reason is water oxidation levels. If the oxygen levels in water decrease, fish activity decreases because lower activity means less need for oxygen in the bloodstream. Fish in low oxygen areas are lethargic and bite less, and therefore fish congregate in higher oxygen areas during cold weather. I live in the Midwest and ice fish and there are two ways to catch fish through the ice: Sit on your ass at a good spot and wait for them to eventually move through, or punch a bunch of holes in the ice looking for a school and fish it until the school moves on, chasing higher oxygen areas or chasing the prey that will readily congregate in higher oxygen areas. So, to successfully fish in cold weather, you need to either locate where the fish tend to congregate or wait in a suitable area and hope the fish will eventually move through.
>>
>>650952
Live bait or hard plastics, usually crankbaits. I sometimes use soft plastics, but I don't have a ton of success using them. I think my finesse skills are off. Thinking I should practice that more. More versatility=more fish.
>>
Fishing is stupid and fish have toxins.
>>
>>650959
Thanks man, op here. So that means in summer, fish are actively hunting prey and less lethargic, so they are easier to find and catch. Thanks brah
>>
>>650959
Colder water holds more oxygen, so unless there is a sheet of ice preventing oxygenation, fish can often be more active in colder water.
>>
>>650987
In Louisiana, I've found that most fish get lockjaw except for speckled trout
>>
>>650849
Fish are cold blooded, and as the water temperature drops so does their metabolism. This makes them less likely to feed and therefore less likely to strike bait. Some (like goldfish and koi) go into a state of hibernation when the water drops below ~50F.

So largemouth bass for example: During the summer you can catch them on a spinner, swimbait, etc. But during the winter you should be working a worm/lure slowly, they'll next to never strike a fast moving lure in cold water.
>>
>>650990
>speckled trout
And I thought we were having a freshwater discussion.
>>
>fishing with static bait
>expecting a bite

Trout season is killer this time of year. Pick up a fly rod and throw some scud, midges, or small streamers.
>>
>>651141
My water is brackish, Lake pontchartrain
>>
Um ever wonder what trout swim in? Dur
>>
>>650849
I usually have better luck icefishing than fishing in the summer
>>
>>650849
The water is always cold here, and I catch lots of fish all year round.
>>
>>650849
You have to fish differently when it's cold than when it's warm. Catfish hang out lower in the lake when it's hot than when it's cold because there isn't much oxygen down real deep. Find the thermocline and fish just above it. The only time you'll have significantly reduced catfishing is during lake turnover.

Use live bait, shiners or perch or small sunfish, just above the thermocline near cover. Scale the fish, at least on one side, before sending them down. They'll let more oil out into the water that way. Worms and good blood bait also work well for channels and pan-sized blues. Stick with live bait for flatheads.
>>
>>651210
specks and reds (both drum, actually) are probably moved out of the brackish water this time of year (used to live in MS). I would hit the freshwater for some fat ass largemouth, or try your luck where warmer water (streams/creeks) hit colder water (the rivers/bays).
>>
File: 101_5079.jpg (220KB, 1037x778px) Image search: [Google]
101_5079.jpg
220KB, 1037x778px
>>650849
The crappie were biting live minnows the other day. They're usually active during winter and can get big, I couldn't catch anything at all on lures, but managed to find a could of minnows and tried it. It worked. I'm going back soon with more minnows.
>>
File: 50cc1f0673be8.preview-620.jpg (87KB, 620x467px) Image search: [Google]
50cc1f0673be8.preview-620.jpg
87KB, 620x467px
I can catch all kinds in the winter.
>>
>>652253
Isn't it harder though due to their slowed metabolisms?
>>
>>653368
Muskys are usually pretty active in cold water from what I understand. I've been after one for a couple of weeks now. They aren't that many around where I'm from, but they're there. Crappies are VERY active in the winter and they taste amazing.
>>
>>652232
Those are so little, you fuck, you better let the next one go.
>>
>>656001
>ITT someone who doesn't understand that organisms grow only so large.

Current world record for this specific fish is 5lbs
>>
File: bass.jpg (94KB, 491x874px) Image search: [Google]
bass.jpg
94KB, 491x874px
I caught this today. 12/30/15 This winter has been mild af.
>>
>>653368
Nah, winter is the best time for pike fishing IMO. Hang a nice herring or smelt on a tip-up and let 'er rip.

This thread is like twilight zone for me. Fishing in Alberta is most active in winter, fall, and spring when water is cold. Fishing is slow in the hot dog days of summer. Possibly its due to the species we have here? I fish whitefish, pike, perch, walleye, brook trout, rainbow trout, bull trout, and greyling and they all go active in colder water.

Also consider how spawning cycles impact fish activity. Fish will feed aggressively when they need to fuel egg production.
>>
winter go away
gibe spring pls
>>
>>656026
>ITT someone who has no clue how big a "keeper" crappie is.

9-10" is the minimum size to pull a crappie you expect to eat.
>>
File: IMG_20151229_093519391.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_093519391.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Winter is the best freshwater season in my state.
>>
>>657703
your hands must have been colder than fishcunts
>>
File: IMG_20151229_095354286_TOP.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_095354286_TOP.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>657709
They go numb after a while.

When your hitting trout almost every cast its worth the cold fingers. Besides that I'm nice and cozy in my wooly pully, gorka, and insulated waders.
>>
File: IMG_20151223_160509972.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_160509972.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>657716
>>
File: IMG_20160102_130238108_TOP.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160102_130238108_TOP.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>657717
P.S. fishing with bait is for faggots.
>>
>>657718
i wonder if the irony here is lost on you altogether
>>
>>657724
If by irony you mean nymphing is almost exactly like fishing with bait. If not then yeah, l'm assuming the fingerless gloves? Otherwise I have no idea what irony you speak of.
>>
>>657724
your post was bait is all i was saying. i was just joshin' anon, meant no harm. and i certainly wasn't making fun of you or anything. w-we should hang out sometime.
>>
>>657729
Ha-ha fuck I feel stupid. Didn't even think of that.
>>
>>657729
goes to >>657727

whoops
>>
>>657732
http://youtu.be/f6DYVBdo6TM
>>
>>652253
>>653482
pike though
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Just woke up and a cold front rolled thru last night. It might be a good day to go fishin.

It has been warm here all this winter aside from a few months, and peacock and snakehead are the only things that will really bite when it's that hot. It needs to get down to the 70s for a month or two and everyhing will be hungry.

South FL btw. I love being able to fish all year.
>>
Fishing for stocked trout down here in Texas and I have the opposite problem. The water is too warm.

I caught some the other morning when it was 40, cloudy, and windy, but when the weather gets nicer they stop biting.
>>
>>658112
They will bite when its warm. Need to use nymphs and bounce them off rocks, keep them real deep. The rule of thumb when it comes to nymphing is if you aren't getting hung up, or losing nymphs you won't be catching fish. Try a fly rod and drifting nymphs real real real low and close to bottom.
>>
>>650987
Colder water may hold oxygen better but aquatic plants go dormant in cold winter seasons and produce less oxygen
>>
Texas here, gonna get out and do some crappie fishing my next day off. Favorite fish to fish for? I'm happy to reel anything in but I love some dang crappie fishn.
>>
I caught a decent sized bass today. Most of them are hanging out in the bottom of the lake since it's warmer. I threw a texas rigged worm and slowly moved it across the bottom of the lake.

What lure were you using OP?
>>
>>663397
My lake is 60 ft deep lol
>>
>>663445
Get a worm and a heavy bullet weight.
>>
>>650849
>Louisiana
>sportsmans paradise

Lol alright
>>
>>650849
>ice fishing

Take it from a Canadian, this is a thing. I've had days ice fishing that summer fishing can't even compare to.
>>
>>664055
Ice fishing is mainly a way to get drunk tho. All them little ice fishing shacks. Just bring a 24, it's all you need for a good day.
>>
>>664062
So its the same as regular fishing but on ice
>>
>>657733
Heh, despite being so fucking red neck, their delivery for their jokes was pretty good.
>>
File: DEXATI20160113202238.png (1MB, 1080x1776px) Image search: [Google]
DEXATI20160113202238.png
1MB, 1080x1776px
Anon wants one of these, Bama boy and Bama fish
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.