[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start a thread about sharpening. I have an old sharpening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: howto.gif (15KB, 133x205px) Image search: [Google]
howto.gif
15KB, 133x205px
I want to start a thread about sharpening.

I have an old sharpening kit from my grandfather which contains several stones and a metal clamp which locks the blade in place and also acts as a guide for the stone, maintaining the correct angle.

But I cant shake the feeling that the blades feel somewhat duller after I try to sharpen them.
I followed the instructions for the kit but Im still arent confident its working correctly. there are certain points in the stones movement which it isn't even really in contact with the blade edge.

I was a butcher for years, and got adept at using a steel.
Do steels work as well as anything else? Is there anything to consider using a steel vs using a stone? What may be the problem with my stones?

Sharpening general as well.
>>
>>649528
Just freehand it bruh, sounds like you have the experience. Do a test before and after sharpening by cutting a piece of paper or even your arm hair.
>>
File: 1363707145918.jpg (68KB, 700x620px) Image search: [Google]
1363707145918.jpg
68KB, 700x620px
>>649529
You mean just use a steel or free hand sharpen with the stones?
>>
>>649528
AFAIK the steel isn't for sharpening, it's for straightening the edge
also this >>649529
>>
>>649528
Darken the edge of the blade with marker so you can see where the stones are hitting the edge

You also need to make sure that you place the clamp in the same spot on the blade or else the angle will be different from sharpening to sharpening

Cut or grooved steels remove very little steel from the edge, their primary purpose is dressing a burr, you don't really sharpen knives as such but you can improve light damage to the edge, smooth packing steels are better than grooved butcher steels as they are less aggressive and can be used to keep a fine edge going

Steels effect different knives in different ways, they work best on thinner and softer knives like what you would find in kitchens and butcher shops

Diamond coated steels or rods are different entirely and are something you should consider if you are good with a steel, they work just like a stone by abrasions, and are aggressive enough to do a fair amount of sharpening, the technique is the same as a steel, just use very light pressure

The grit is generally in the mid range so a ceramic steel is a good follow-up option to refine the edge, ceramic steels or rods are the perfect replacement for butcher steels, they remove a small amount of metal at the edge so they can remove burrs and they also fix rolling like the steels do and with the right technique they can keep a fine edge going for a long time

Some people don't like any round sharpener for various reasons but other people get by perfectly fine with them
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>649528
Maybe the angle you set on the guide is not the correct angle for the blade.
I don't use guides,
>>
>>649553
>>649575
>>649583
Thanks, Anons

Is there a 'proper' time to stop, or do you just sharpen til youre content with the sharpness?
>>
>>649597
As long as the edge is even (same amount of material on both sides) just stop when you're content with the results. If the edge is uneven your knife won't cut straight and it'll feel weird.
>>
File: 45_degrees_of_death.jpg (51KB, 370x444px) Image search: [Google]
45_degrees_of_death.jpg
51KB, 370x444px
the most important rule of sharpening is to stay away from the 45ยบ bevel
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>649597
I count strokes
I want the same amount of material removed from the left side as I am removing from the right side,
If the knife is really dull then I start with a a medium grit stone
Save the course grits for your shovel or hoe or machete But not usually for a knife, if you break a tip and want to reshape your blade then I might use a course stone.
If it's not too dull I start with fine grit
Then move to extra fine
I finish with a steel to Aline the edge, some might use a strop but I don't have one.
Take the knife and put the blade against your thumb nail. Don't push down, just use the weight of the blade.
If the blade skips off your thumb nail keep sharpening.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.