[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best material for a base layer to keep warm,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: Baselayer.jpg (11KB, 273x355px) Image search: [Google]
Baselayer.jpg
11KB, 273x355px
What's the best material for a base layer to keep warm, but at the same time won't make me sweat buckets? Is wool/merino wool still king, or is bamboo (or some other alternative) better?
>>
>>647035
i'm pretty loyal to synthetic/polypro
>>
File: aclimawoolnet-shirtcrewneck.jpg (264KB, 1410x552px) Image search: [Google]
aclimawoolnet-shirtcrewneck.jpg
264KB, 1410x552px
Merino.
Best combo is these sexy net shirts. On its own it will keep you cool and wick moisture faster. Add a thicker layer and the net construction will help hold air = keep you warm.
>>
>>647050
This, no need to buy the expensive itchy woolen long john silvers.
>>
File: 50dates.jpg (82KB, 471x518px) Image search: [Google]
50dates.jpg
82KB, 471x518px
>>647054
>tfw when you hit the switchback with a gnar incline on a bluebird day and summit under time.
>>
>>647050
+Dries faster
+Lighter
+More durable
+Cheaper

-Stinks
There's also the thing about the ominous temperature regulation properties of wool, but that's rather hard to quantify.
>>
>>647035
A good wind breaker is more imporant to me then any undershirt... Because no matter where I am theres some form of natural or unnatural insulation materials..

I rode 200 miles on my motorcycle with like 6 news papers crunched up in my jacket and inside my gloves and pants. In 20 degree F weather with summer gear on and stayed warm enough I managed to do all 200 miles in a single sitting. No windscreen either or hand warmer grips..

I would advise agaist it thou.
>>
>Slightly related
Redpill me on hemp, anons. Is it a meme material? Does it breathe well? Is it comfortable in tropical, tundra and/or desert conditions like merino wool is?
>>
>>647035
fleece. trust me. I live in northern Canada.
>>
>>648261
for a base layer? I really wouldn't want a fleece to be the first thing on my skin, especially if i'm going to be sweating.
>>
wool or polyester. i recently got a pair of polyester LJS and they're fantastic. really anything but cotton honestly.

>>648279
polar fleece wicks moisture away pretty well, and insulates when wet, and dries fast. it's not as wonderful as wül but it's still miles better than cotton at least. plus it's lighter, cheaper, and easier than wül
>>
>>647307
It's lab expensive shirt made of weed rope. It's basically cotton but scratchy and "designer"
>>
>>647050
Polypro does the job. It smells after awhile, but if your actually outside, who cares?
>>
>>647056
>long john silvers
>>
>>647035
Cotton
>>
>>647035
>Bamboo
Is straight up customer disinformation. Bamboo fibers have a length of no more than 3mm, far too short for a yarn. When manufacturers say bamboo, they really mean viscose/rayon, which can be made from pretty much any tree or plant. Sometimes it's also lyocell/tencel, which is a similar thing (supposedly better, mostly just more robust). Don't know about the specifics, but cellulose fabrics are pretty much all problematic when wet.

>>647307
Hemp is really just a better version of cotton, also a cellulose fibre. Stronger, supposedly less sensitive to humidity. Don't know the specifics, but it most certainly doesn't match up with wool or synthetics. Supposedly also less smelly than cotton. It's far more environment friendly to grow which is why it's mostly alternative circles propagating it. I could imagine it replacing cotton in polycotton blends or such, but these have been mostly phased out for "functional" clothing anyway.

As for merino wool, I always wondered wether one could not make thicker (more sturdy, less expensive) wool fibres less scratchy with chemical treatments. There are treatments to cover the fibre with a very thin synthethic coating (called "superwash"), dunno why they don't apply that to thicker wool to make base layers.
>>
File: DSC00422sm.jpg (448KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00422sm.jpg
448KB, 1080x810px
>>648443
>Supposedly also less smelly than cotton

Whoa whoa whoa, how can cotton be considered smelly?
My cotton long john silvers are no smellier than any other clothing can get.
>>
>>648391
>Cotton
Will kill you the moment it touches water. Just don't.
>>
File: MGTOWSBOOTS.jpg (16KB, 251x449px) Image search: [Google]
MGTOWSBOOTS.jpg
16KB, 251x449px
You guys need to realize that if you have hairy legs , any long john silvers are going to make you itch like mad.
>>
>>648540
trim or shave your leg hair then
>>
>>648540
Never noticed that.
>>
>>648540
Never bothered me and I'm all natty.

>>649394
Pretty sure that would make it worse with all the stubble growing back.
>>
>>648540
are you the guy that gets headaches from wearing hats too? maybe you just are too autistic for life?
>>
>>647054
this
>>
>>648540
Have you considered hardening the fuck up?
>>
>>647035
Under armor or Yoga pants and an athletic shirt as a base layer to keep oils off your insulating layer, polypros or fleece for insulation, GoreTex or Tyvek as your top (rain/wind) layer.

The first of each works best, the second is a lot cheaper and almost as good.

Everything should either be merino or synthetic. Naturals fibres have their place, but it's not keeping your warm while /out/.
>>
>>647058
why does he have a weightlifting belt on?
>>
File: MGTOW uniform.jpg (13KB, 236x262px) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW uniform.jpg
13KB, 236x262px
>>651162
He is getting ready to lift a pirate chest.
>>
It reallt depends on the temperature, the thickness of the fabric and your activity level that you want to be able to do. I have a thin polyester layer that is good for high activity and medium cold temperatures bit I would use my thicker wool set for the colder temperatures and specially if I'm not gonna move around that much.
Both wool and polyester hav stayed warm and dried easily after sweating though.
>>
>>648391

I guess you don't sweat?
>>
>>647054
Are you trying to trick me into doing some sort of gay thing so you can find and molest me when I go /out/ or is this actual advice?
>>
>>651245
It makes sense, but there's still probably better alternatives.
>>
>>651245
How does having certain long john silvers on help someone to rape you?
I am not following your logic here anon.
>>
File: butt-flap.jpg (126KB, 700x554px) Image search: [Google]
butt-flap.jpg
126KB, 700x554px
>>651432
depends on if they have a buttflap or not
>>
>>647035
Wool all the way. Even when soaking wet it retains most of its insulating value. Plus it won't ignite next to a fire.
>>
>>648283
pretty much you got it. fleece has virtually identical wet and dry warmth as wool. supposedly maybe just a small fraction warmer. I think it dries something like in 1/8th the time wool does. You really don't overheat as bad either. From years of trying different stuff I'd rank in this order

WORST
flat cotton
waffled cotton
polyester
wool
fleece
BEST

From my own experience I did feel like wool was warmer but I sweated a hell of a lot more as soon as I was indoors.

No one here seems to believe me about fleece but this is 35 years of living in a place where winter lasts from november till may with around -20C/-4F as a consistent winter temperature. As most of you are probably in a lot less harsh areas I'd probably recommend polyester as good for active wear in moderate temps.
>>
>>651967
Funny, I've heard how wool was supposed to be "temperature-regulating" (cover a larger range of comfortable temperature). Is that just marketing?
>>
For me, it is Merino wool.

I really tried to like modern materials, but even when buying extremely expensive brand-stuff, when I do some physical activity, the polyester stuff starts itching like hell. I do not get this problem with merino wool.
>>
>>651988
Kind of yeah.

IMO biggest benefits to wool are simply that doesnt feel like plastic and doesnt stink nearly as much as poly/fleece.

Wool baselayer, Fleece midlayer
>>
>>651997
My poly pro fleece gear never stinks and I've rarely washed it
>>
1. Poly like Patagonia Capilene series is some of the best you can go for for baselayers that comes in 3 types warm warmer and warmest depending on what you're wearing on top you mix and match to if you like.
2. The stink problem is solved for the most part via the antimicrobial properties instilled into the capilene clothing as well as the fact that poly is just damn good at wicking moisture and retaining warmth.
3. Merino wool is great for an outer layer or even fleece but pros vs con's of fleece doesn't come close to merino and if you're looking for a pair of socks that will last you a lifetime go for Darn Tough socks they'll be the best socks you ever buy.
4.stay light on your base layers like the poly in case you need to strip down fast or you're sweating to much and need cool off .
5. Try everything is honestly my best answer it's truly about preference we're just here to throw idea atcha
>>
>>652026
Helle hansen makes the best arctic polypro gear fyi
>>
>>652054
>Helle hansen
They make long john silvers?
>>
>>651967
>fleece
I perspire too much with fleece. i have a bathrobe in fleecepolyester and it is a nightmare
>>
File: 1423441229550.jpg (405KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1423441229550.jpg
405KB, 1600x1600px
>>652245
>>
Why can't people understand that WOOL is the only choise for EVERY piece of clothing while /out/ except for the outer layer of clothing
>>
>>651998
I assume this is because you have never worn it?
>>
>>652819
>bitches don't know bout my filson
>>
>>654131
Filson long john silvers?
>>
>>654136
Sorry, I'm a medically confirmed autist and did not get your joke. Would you mind explaining it to me for the sake of inclusiveness on this board?
>>
>>654160
sorry anon, its just an /out/ meme
the barrier to entry for you on this joke is not your autism but rather, lack of time spent on this board.
hth
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.