[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Already talked to /k/ about this. Now it's time for your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: hercules.jpg (94KB, 800x718px) Image search: [Google]
hercules.jpg
94KB, 800x718px
Already talked to /k/ about this. Now it's time for your opinion. What's wrong with killing Cecil the lion? It wasn't poaching. Walter Palmer had legal authority to conduct the hunt. Lion hunting has been an accepted practice for thousands of years in many countries, so why the outrage all of the sudden?
>>
>>643380
Here's your reply
>>
File: humanoid statue_Gobleki Tepe.jpg (30KB, 228x340px) Image search: [Google]
humanoid statue_Gobleki Tepe.jpg
30KB, 228x340px
>>643380
This is really a question for /pol/...god help you.

But to give my $0.02:

Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. And I don't really see the "sport" in it. It isn't like he's eating the meat, so the rifle is there to make the hunt easier. But an easier hunt takes away from the the tradition of the sport - which was traditionally done with spears/arrows, horses, and/or dogs. It was a hunting method that required real skill and was something to be proud of.

Hunting a lion with scope and rifle is nigger tier imo, senpai.
>>
>>643386
Walter Palmer DID use an arrow, not a rifle. It was only when the Cecil got away that someone shot him with a rifle.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Nothing wrong with it.
Lions are hunted for population control,
People were butthurt because someone took a picture of this specific lion. If it had been any other lion no shits would be given.
Also
Had dr. Dude molested a kid, no shits would be given. It's some fucked up world where people place more value on an animal than a child.
>>
>>643386
Using a rifle also requires skill. I know a guy who has hunted for many years but often loses his game. Why? Because he's a bad shot.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 510x297px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 510x297px
International Union for the Conservation of Nature estimates that trophy-hunting tourists legally kill some 600 lions each year. Jane Smart, the global director of IUCN's Biodiversity Conservation Group, said in an interview that the 600 figure is several years old and the actual number is probably a little bit higher than that. Given that there are only about 30,000 lions left in Africa, this represents an annual loss of roughly 2 percent of the total lion population to legal hunting.
>>
>>643394
Are you saying that it should be less than that?
>>
>>643391
>Had dr. Dude molested a kid, no shits would be given
whats your iq?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>643395
I don't know. I'm sure they have biologist who make suggestions on the number of hunting licenses sold.
The point I was trying to make was, you did not see all the butthurt for the other 599 animals.the only out rage was because someone took a picture and named this specific lion
>>
>>643395
Could be more could be less depending on the conditions. Biological Surplus" is a scientific name for the number of animals in a given population that are "above" the carrying capacity.

For example, if there are 25 deer in a habitat that has a carrying capacity of 25, and 12 fawns are born and 2 adults die of natural causes, then the new population is 25 + 12 - 2 = 35. However, since the carrying capacity of the habitat has not changed, there will be 10 deer that will not be able to survive in this habitat. They will either move to other areas or will die of starvation, disease, predators or hunting. These 10 deer are the biological surplus–the "extra" animals that can be removed without changing the overall population.

Most game animals have a high biological surplus, and these surplus animals can be removed without affecting the population. In fact, if they are not removed by hunting, most will die anyway due to other causes (disease, starvation, roadkill, etc.).

If animals are being harvested or dying faster than they can be replaced, the number of breeding animals will be reduced, and the herd or flock will not be able to sustain its numbers.

It's important to have enough mature animals to produce new, young animals each year. It's also important to have enough young animals to replace the mature animals as they die off. Breeding stock is the correct mixture of adult and young animals needed to sustain a healthy population.

Wildlife managers must ensure that enough breeding stock survives to produce a new crop of wildlife each spring. In order to accomplish that, wildlife managers must assess how many animals are "surplus" to each game population and protect the remainder. Hunting seasons, bag limits and license quotas are tools that wildlife managers use to protect breeding stock.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 1024x722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 1024x722px
>>643412
>>600 lions legally killer every year yet anon knows this lion was named Cecil.
>>about 1500 kids murdered in the US every year.
Can anon name one?
Can you show one where people got butt hurt and threatened to vigilantly justice on the suspect?
Yeah, people's priorities are fucked up.
>>
>>643380

There would be nothing wrong with it had it been done in South Africa, where the governance of hunting is less corrupt and more competent.

I've lived in East Africa for a number of years and have friends running hunting safari tours in western Tanzania. Tanzanian hunting authorities are an absolute joke. Quotas are not based on a scientific understanding of animal populations, rather they are haphazardly put together and inevitably lead to a large decline in wildlife populations for a given hunting block.

Although I don't have first hand experience in Zimbabwe, I have heard through Zimbabwean friends that their system isn't much better than Tanzania's.

There is nothing wrong with trophy hunting when it is properly managed, as is the case in South Africa and Namibia. I consider it irresponsible of rich westerners to hunt in Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Mozambique though, even though they are technically not breaking any laws.
>>
Because whiny liberals... Why else?

Got into an argument with one sometime ago. He actually said "I think bow hunters are slightly better because they kill the animal with some dignity." He was 100% serious.
>>
wasn't there an issue of them having baited the lion into territory where they could kill it?

i thought there was that issue, and that the dr himself said something along the lines of "i didn't know it was THAT lion" which kind of gives a bit of credit to the fact that that particular lion wasn't on the chopping block.

the only thing that annoyed me was the attempt to cover it all up afterward, and given the guy had been charged with doing a similar thing in the states, i was a bit skeptical over it all.
>>
>>643581
Neither Zimbabwe nor the United States prosecuted him. The Zimbabwean government announced the he was legal and welcome to return to Zimbabwe.
>>
-He dragged the lion outside of the no hunting place he was in.
-The lion had a collar that animals used in scientific experiments have. So you can't kill them.

He did 2 ilegal things, maybe 3 but i don't remember
>>643601
>USA
>doing anything to an american
>Zimbabwe
>in charge of not being bribed
>>
>>643626
You sure are upset about some mangy cat. You would shit bricks if you knew how man feral cats and dogs I have to cull on my farm every year because faggots like you dump them in the country so they can have a good life
>>
>>643380
I guess what bugs me about it is the fact that there are so few lions left. It's wasteful. Hell, I wouldn't even consider these rich guys on "safari" actual hunters anyway.
>>
>>643440
Interesting graph.
Babies followed by toddlers are the most likely to be killed by abuse or neglect. It would also be reasonable to put forward a suggestion that if you haven't killed your child by age 3, you probably won't ever do it.

Regarding Cecil, it's important to recognize that expensive guided hunts provide important funding to conservation programs. In exchange for letting someone shoot a single old male animal, you get thousands or tens of thousands of dollars which pays for medicines, wages, etc to look after your healthy breeding stock. The meat is almost always donated to local villages too.
>>
>>644528
>babies followed by toddlers are the most likely to be killed by abuse or neglect

Just realised how redundant that statement sounds. What I mean is that a baby or toddler who is abused or neglected to a certain degree is more likely to be killed by it than an older child abused or neglected to the same degree, since younger children are more vulnerable to physical abuse, and babies can easily die of dehydration (happens much quicker than starvation), hypothermia or hyperthermia where as a 5 year old is far more resilient.
>>
>>644523
they are mass produced for trophies and their bones like chicken sadly
so not exactly near extinction unless the gnu wisen up like in madagascar (they actually gang up on the lions and protect the weak) and then the lions are gone
>>
>>643380
I don't have a problem with the act of killing the lion itself. I have a problem with the American dentist flying to Africa just to shoot it, with the use of tour guides and long range rifles, and then bringing it home and mounting it on his wall as if he thinks of himself as some sort of modern day gladiator. Basically he spent all this time and money and took the life of an amazing animal all so that when his friends come over they can see a lion's head mounted on the wall and think, 'gee all this time I had him pinned as a boring old dentist, but if he can kill a lion, he must really be something!' When in reality all he did was get driven to a spot, sit in a jeep 200 yards away from a lion minding it's own business, and pulled a trigger.

It's all so blatantly inauthentic. That's why it's unsettling. The true spirit of hunting is found within the most authentic of motives. I'm hungry, I must eat or I'll die, I must kill this animal in order to survive. Obviously, this isn't as true in modern times, but the spirit of authenticity found within the direct link with nature is why many still enjoy it. To see someone corrupt that spirit by the most superficial of means, especially in a place as wild as Africa, is disturbing.

But if you want to hunt a lion go ahead. This guy in particular just seemed like a massive prick.
>>
>>644536
This is basically how I feel. Well said, anon.
>>
>>644536

>It's all so blatantly inauthentic

Found the faggot who eats artisanal free range fairtrade gluten free 100% recycled and sustainable potato chips
>>
>>644536
WTF do you care what he does with the carcass?
He paid $$$ for a license, the money from the license went toward conservation
The meat fed the local village
If he wants to tan the hide and make lion slippers that's his business He spent His time and His money the way He wanted to.
I don't pass judgement on you for wanting to spent your money and time with transvestite hookers,
>>
Lion is supposedly good eating so I really highly doubt the meat went to waste, especially somewhere as poor as Africa.

I don't see what the big deal is.
>>
>>643626
Because no American has ever been convicted of wrong doing in an American court
>>
>>644536
You've never hunted, have you?
>>
File: Decoy - 300.jpg (224KB, 1416x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Decoy - 300.jpg
224KB, 1416x1028px
>>643386

Hunting with a rifle requires a lot of skill. All the tracking/bushcraft knowledge is the same, and you have a very narrow window to put a very small projectile in the right place.

It's also way more humane than hunting with arrows, if that's a consideration for you.

The vast majority of the funds that go into conservation, habitat defense, etc. come from hunters. Most 3rd world governments don't give a shit about the animals, but know that, without them, they wouldn't get any hunter money. Hunting is the only thing keeping most endangered species from being wiped out, and their habitats turned into parking lots.

The outrage about Cecil the Lion came about because the people who run the media told us to be mad about it.
>>
>>644851
When they fuck up on places other than the USA nothing ever happens
>>643652
I am not. All i did was state why the outrage.
He did 2 illegals things and got away with it.
>>
>>644887
That's because fuck ups in places outside of the US really don't matter
>>
>>644963
It's the same reason why people won't let the US drill for oil, or build a pipe line, or harvest some trees.
Because there is an endangered tutrtle or some shit,
But we don't give a fuck about endangered turtles wherever the fuck we buy our oil.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.