[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/. I've lurked this board for a while, and I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: delaware_map.gif (47KB, 420x603px) Image search: [Google]
delaware_map.gif
47KB, 420x603px
Hey /out/. I've lurked this board for a while, and I've some fond memories of 'camping' when I was younger, but it was basically just sleeping in a tent on a campground and cooking hotdogs. I've always really wanted to go full blown camping for 3 or 4 days, preferably with no people around to bother me. I plan to play it safe, bringing a tent and extra food whilst still dicking around and trying to make fires and shit. The problem is, I live here. I've done some fair searching and fairly local spots all seem to be relatively small or they're crowded with RV and cabin locations.

I don't want to be too picky either, but I get very little time off from school/work and I want to be comfy. Delaware's forests down south are very flat and boring, and ones up here are patrolled by the fish and wildlife services like the SS. I've hiked out in WV in pendleton and pocahontas county, and that mountainy, dense forest is sort of the vibe I'm looking for. I was thinking of Pennsylvania, since it's really the only place I can go from this fucking pseudo-island, but I wanted to get feedback from you guys.

tl;dr:
Where can I camp near near delaware (preferably within 1/2 hrs) that isn't infested with other humans?
>>
File: 1444753292517.png (141KB, 2212x2212px) Image search: [Google]
1444753292517.png
141KB, 2212x2212px
I live in PA, definitely lots of places to camp. Unfortunately the southeast end of the state, which you're by, is probably the worst area to go /out/ since it's the most populated area, but there are still places to go.

In any PA state forest or PA state wild area you can camp. There's info online about it. There's state forests and wild areas all over. I suggest just finding one close to you, drive there, hike in, and camp. They aren't crowded like state parks, and sometimes can be very nice forests.
>>
Hi friend. Former delawarefat here, got the fuck out ASAP.

In delaware, you can camp for free at blackbird state forest, which is OK. There's really no good camping out here though.

Most of the good camping is in PA, My favorite camping spots in PA are a couple hours drive from DE, but WELL WORTH IT.

You can backpack the mason dixon trail, up on the susquehanna river. If you send me an email, I can give you detailed route maps and the exact location of some of the campsites.

Not exactly information I like to spread around, but I feel your Delaware pain, so I'm willing to help.

Other spots are wharton forest in NJ, that's not a bad place, but very flat
>>
Look up White Clay Creek state park in DE, it's on the border with PA, and PA has like 1500 acres that adjoins the DE side of the park.

On the PA side I'm sure you could find lots of places to camp that are quiet.
>>
>>638062
the PA side isn't that great, and the delaware side is well patrolled. You could probably do it with a hammock though, if you got far enough off the trail.
>>
>>638065
I've never been there, just found it on the PA state parks website. I'm not close to there, I live just south of the NY state border in PA, so I can't comment much about the Southeast end of the state.
>>
>>638066
DWG?

That place has some most-excellent camping as well. When I lived in DE, I used to take weekend canoe trips up there. Also have rented out campsites at the "rivers bend group area" and it was excellent.

Pretty, too.

It's about a 3 hour drive from delaware, but well worth it.
>>
>>638071
Op again
Yeah not looking to 'rent' a loction, I'd rather at the most pay to get in and then hike around. I look into it and shoot you an email later if I decide.
>>
>>638267
Oh yeah, and I'm weary of South pa because I don't want some nigger stealing my car whilst innawoods.
>>
>>638267
>Yeah not looking to 'rent' a loction, I'd rather at the most pay to get in and then hike around.

then your going to have to make the drive out to the mountains in PA or VA. Everywhere else you have to book a site unless you want to illegally stealth camp.
>>
>>638286
Sounds like what I'm gonna need to end up doing. Just a matter of finding spots now, but they seem plentiful enough over there
>>
>>638267
>>638271
>>638475

If you're down for a hike in, sounds like the mason-dixon trail is for you. here's the general location of where the good spots are:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Holtwood+Dam,+Martic+Township,+PA+17302/@39.827,-76.337594,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c62ccb8ddf5fe1:0x3d32de3932d0c683

http://www.mason-dixontrail.org/

Also, there is an outfitter's shop at one of the trailheads that will let you park one car there, if you call them in advance, there is also a parking area on the east side of the river which we've had good luck with.
>>
File: 1408734862877.gif (967KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1408734862877.gif
967KB, 500x700px
>>638491
Thanks man.
I would actually prefer the hike, I'm /fit/ enough and it'd be good to get deep in the forest.
Do you recommend any of these spots?
http://www.mason-dixontrail.org/suggested_hikes.html
http://www.mason-dixontrail.org/backpacking_info/camping_info.html
Sorry for all the questions, their site is a little messy and I'm not really sure what to look out for. The google maps spot was just pinpointed on the dam, is this right or/and am I just retarded?

>Pic related: Me as this all comes together
>>
you're so close, take a hike on the AT.
>>
>>638519
he said he wanted to hike and camp in the woods, not hang out at a primitive cabin with a bunch of hippies and yuppies. seriously though, depends on the specific segment of the AT, a lot of it is ass.
>>
>>638519
>>638521
Op again. It does suck that there's all these regulations here, though it's understandable why.
>>
>>638513
That map is correct, the mason-dixon trail runs down the west bank of the river, and the conestoga trail runs somewhat down the east bank of the river.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the camping section on that website, those are more guidelines than anything. There are about 12 primitive camping spots within a few miles north of the rt. 372 bridge. Pic related.

The only thing I'd say about it, is that you don't want to just camp all day up there, we do it as a out and back or shuttle hike, usually sleeping at different campsites.

I haven't done it since they built that shelter at apollo county park, but pic related is the primitive site that we used to camp at.
>>
>>638513
>>638645
Typically for a 2 day hike, we'll park the car at shank's mare outfitters in Long Level, PA. They will let you park the car there if you call them first, and then we get someone to drop us off at the lock 12 parking lot, which is right where that rt. 372 bridge crosses over the river. It's about 24 miles of hiking with excellent views. Since you're /fit/ you should be fine, because you gain about a mile of elevation over the course of the hike.

Just make sure you do not camp on PA Gameland property. It is O.K. to camp on excelon property, just don't flaunt it :)

Let me know if you want some waypoints.
>>
>>637938
Fellow Delawarean here.

No where is the answer. No where.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.