[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats stopping a person from buying an appropriate amount of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

Whats stopping a person from buying an appropriate amount of land and placing link and pic related on said land and living cheaply and comfortably?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-ultimate-alaknak-8482-tent-150-13-x-27-/1570908.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fview-all-tents%2F_%2FN-1102375%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517980%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18&No=0
>>
>>636832
>cheaply and comfortable

pick one.
>>
Winters down to minus 30 celsius. Safety of my stuff in a tent, lack of hygene possibilities.
>>
>>636832
do you live in Arizona?
>>
File: 20130816_122059.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20130816_122059.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>636832
I get the feeling like you have not actually been /out/ much. Am I wrong?

There are multiple reasons why people spend to make LOG cabins, with actual shelter. I am too lazy to name them but >>636844 has a few obvious ones.
>>
People stop themselves. There are people who live like that. In tents 6 months a year. Basic cabins. Yurts etc. But they don't have ps4 and you generally can't iron a dress shirt in a tent so people with real jobs are out
>>
>>636849
Oregon
>>636844
>>636852
Winter aint that harsh round here
>>
Wind, cold, cooking good food, laws about waste disposal, a desire to entertain guests in more than a tent, basic ambition and many other reasons.
>>
Intelligence.
>>
>>636832
This is a good idea but Im sure you would want to protect your processions some how right ?

This only works if you can have someone by the property all the time to guard it.
>>
In the U.S. and Canada, the world government's drone forces don't take kindly to off the grid living and non taxpayers
>>
>>636865
Who said you aint payin taxes
>>
>>636856

Comparing a cabin with a tent...yeah...but no. Huge difference.
>>
>>636864
Fence and booby traps and dogs
>>
File: ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg (37KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg
37KB, 320x240px
>>636865
>>
>>636869

The fences are a good idea but they arnt going to stop anyone that really wants.

Dogs are also good but they gotta be trained right otherwise you feed them some sausage they are gonna betray.

Booby traps are asking for a lawsuit unless thats legal where ever you are from.

If you can implement all of these then I dont see why you could do that, it sounds like a more than awesome idea. Every issue people have brought up are trivial and can be overcome piss easy...

So are you seriously planning to do this or are you just making conversation ?
>>
>>636868
A wall tent vs an unpermitted cabin built by a few friends are not that far apart.
>>
>>636877
This is my dream to live in this with enough acreage for livestock and farming, I'd also have a truck and have at least some form of actual income but I just want to live like this.
>>
>>636885
Where do you live?
>>
>>636881

Just cause it is built by a few friends, does not mean it can't be nice. Plus it is nice to have an actual wooden structure, not a piece of fabric that can easily be ripped. There was a guy on here who built a cabin by himself over a few weeks, it was really nice. It just all depends on the person skill. Now if they don't know crap about building, we'll then yeah I'd pick a tent over a cabin. If ppl know what they're doing, fuck the tent in ever way.

Given this is some one who has lived in Alaska most of my life, so I'm worried about animals fucking my stuff up. If you live in an area with no predators, I'd just go with a hammock and tarp and be more than happy with that.
>>
>>636889
Oregon but I would locate anywhere to the most reasonable choice/spot
>>
>>636893
I live in the UK with connections pretty much world wide apart from America and the US.

I was wondering whether you'd want to perhaps do this with me ?
>>
>>636895
Lets do it homie post a way for me to contact you
>>
>>636896
email my temp email, once I get you il change it: [email protected]
>>
>>636852
I love all your pictures of power lines
>>
>>636832
Why do these "living cheaply" nerds never realize that permanent shelter is one of the few things worth spending time, money, and effort on? Even Thoreau built a shelter on the lake. You need comfort, safety and stability before you can start going on great adventures. You need a home base to go back to in order to recharge and reflect and appreciate the /out/ness.
>>
>>636901
Bro those power lines may be many many miles from civilization.

The presence of powerlines, especially large ones like that, don't indicate civilization. In lots of plces, you could follow those lines for 100 miles and not find a permanent structure. They often service those lines from helicopters since theyre so remote.
>>
>>636908
There are literally cars and some sort of structure in that photo bro
>>
>>636902
Well, permanent shelters take time. I bought some hunting land with two of my friends last year, no permanent structures on it when we bought it. We've had it over a year and have only managed to get a storage shed built on it as of now. One of the co-owners was there this month for deer season and he brought a canvas tent with him and said it worked great. The idea is to build a cabin (or cabins) on it ourselves, but we're still getting the money together. Then again, we're not planning to live "off the grid" like OP seems to be. But for temporary living, a temporary shelter would probably work out just find.
>>
>>636913

do you know where this is?
>>
I think the sun would eventually destroy the tent
>>
>>636832
The law usually.
>>
Me

I'm the tent police, motherfucker
>>
>>636920
No, but I know it's not innawoods. There's probably a parking lot directly behind whoever took this.
>>
>>636908
>many many miles from civilization.

And yet there you are hiking under powerlines. Many many miles from civilization listening to the hum and getting brain cancer
>>
>>636832
Bears
>>
>>636852
>>636901
>>636908
>>636913
>>636920
>>636936
>>636938

Those are transmission lines, they are designed to move power in high voltages across hundreds of miles from major power plants to substations that distribute power at lower voltages. They exist both in urban areas and very remote wilderness.
>>
>>636832
I lived in something like this for about 1.5 month stretches in northern canada. The stoves were diesel fed and even at -40C it was comfortable inside. Some issues that come up are stove pipes becoming blocked and smoke filling the tent. That happened once. Almost lost several guys. Fire is also a concern. Getting into the site daily could be an issue and batteries dying for vehicles could be another. We had a whole team whose job it was to just maintain the camp. Showering and shitting can be a challenge. Also wildlife hanging around camp was an issue from time to time. Bears would come around in summer.
All that being said, out this way we had a guy who decided to live in a tipi one winter. He stopped about half way through the winter but it sounded like it was working on some levels before that.

Anyway, there are challenges to living in these kinds of tents but there's nothing to stop you. It just means a fair amount of work and potential dangers. You will have to prep water and food daily, have fuel for the stove, all this and if you are commuting to a job every day then there's all the normal stuff that goes along with that. I'd certainly do the logical thing and try it over a spring and summer first of all.
>>
>>636832
I ended up quitting this job soon after starting, but about a month ago I was working at a school for kids who had drug/behavioral issues, and they lived outdoors full time throughout the year in big structures they made. They were basically like that giant tent, except they were semi-permanent due to the fact that they made the structure out of tree trunks and sealed off most of the sides. They had about 6 people per structure, with a wood burning stove to warm them up in the morning, and separate structures for tools/wood, cooking stuff and kitchen supplies, grease screen/garbage, and bathroom.

The thing is though, similar to what >>636979 said, there's a huge effort in maintaining it required. All the kids had to help with tasks on the site when they weren't in school. Definitely possible with a warmer winter though, was in the southern united states and I only needed a 0 degree sleeping bag to sleep there
>>
Why not just construct a longhouse like deal? Nice, cool, and warm. Drink your mead.
>>
>>636832
Strong winds + large tents are a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>636832
If you're trying to go cheap, you probably don't want a $1,600 tent, not when you can build a cabin for the price of a chainsaw and a few weeks of your time.
>>
>>636901
There's trees, there's water, there are no sky scrapers or urban structures. He's /out/ doesn't mean he needs to be fucking a stump 200 miles from the nearest human, he just needs to go and be in nature a bit.
>>
>>636832
Sharing tight spaces with other humans gets pretty rough. No matter who they are
>>
>>636900
And OP was never seen or heard from again....
>>
>>636856
>cant iron a dress shirt with no electricity...

Cast iron pan fill with coals wipe clean the bottom. Iron.

Stainless steel pot. Boil water to a rumble. Iron.

Wow that was hard!!

Also you can easily make 50k a year with a dirty oily tshirt and jeans. But i guess if you arent all dressed up for work. You don't have a real job. I mean, thats what you implied by your post after all.
>>
>>636832
Nature. Laws. Family. Tyrone and Demarcus. Take your pick.
>>
File: ATeenyTinyHouse.png (70KB, 153x181px) Image search: [Google]
ATeenyTinyHouse.png
70KB, 153x181px
>>636832
With a set-up like that why not just build a Tiny House? True, you wouldn't be outside but you'd have a portable home with lots of natural light/views with almost all the features of a full-sized home run entirely on solar power should you want to go that route.

If you don't know about Tiny Houses click the link below, it is a good eye opener and given the lifestyle you're describing I think what Mr. Guiles has to say will be very agreeable to you. If that is indeed the case or you already know about Tiny Houses click on the other three links to tour three really neato ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyHGIxdjuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgRkXAW_9M0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3d2vsRTjQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VckbqU4kK2I

If you're looking for a good builder I can't help you. What I can tell you is that you can easily build your own with premium materials for about $20,000-$40,000 because you're doing the work yourself. I've heard of people having homes built for them with the total cost being anywhere from $40,000 to $120,000+ and anything about $75,000 seems ( to me ) to defeat the purpose of owning a tiny home in the first place.
>>
>>639841
I've thought about building my own and keeping it off-grid. Keeping a water supply/water collection would be my biggest challenge. Solar power would be easy to implement and one could easily go with either a composting or incinerating toilet to circumvent the whole "plumbing/sewage" issue.
>>
>>636843
This desu senpai
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.