[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you carve out the bowl innawoods without carrying a hook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2036px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2036px
How do you carve out the bowl innawoods without carrying a hook knife/gouge/other specialty woodworking tools?
>>
grab a coal with two sticks
place on surface you want to carve
blow on coal to make it burn hotter
let it work for you
clean with the tip of your knife/axe
>>
>>635196
With a hatchet. Is it bad for the cutting edge? Maybe a little, it dulls the blade some; a few seconds with a puck and it's right back to sharp.
>>
>>635197
This guy knows how to make a bowl. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbnj4sEgks
>>
>>635197
also you should start with this before you make any carving whatsoever, because this is the part you can fuck up the easiest also the most crucial, if you are careful with the whittling getting the outside done should be no big deal
>>
>>635196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msunwm-MRaA
aside from the horrible cuts he makes into his hands this should be educational how to do it without fire
>>
>>635196
Too much work in my opinion. If you're eating soup, drink it right out of the bowl or cook pot, for anything else a flat spoon /scoop will work just as well.
>>
>>635399
i do this, i just cut some chopsticks or a skewer
basically debark a twig and sharpen it some and i can eat pretty much everything with that andd the knife.
>>
Any good starter book?
Not just for spoons but other useful items. For example tent stakes.
>>
>>636489
http://thecarvingbench.tripod.com/PDFs/Egg%20Carving.PDF
>>
>>635318
nice video but

>one less piece of equipment you have to pack
is retarded. Are you also not gonna pack a tent because you could just hunt and skin deer and make a tent out of it? Sure would be great if a day had 200 hours but don't carve your spoons to use that same day, just fucking bring a fucking spoon
>>
Bowl adze
Can be found online for about $30us
or
You could sharpen the claws of a hammer to achiev the same results.
>>
>>636591
Thanks anon
>>
>>635197
This.
>>
File: Wilderness mortar&pestle.jpg (127KB, 762x845px) Image search: [Google]
Wilderness mortar&pestle.jpg
127KB, 762x845px
>>635196
>>
>all those nice and clean cut flat logs as a starting point

WE PRIMITIVE NOW

Nigga if you have chainsaw with you you might as well carve the bowl in 30 seconds. Or, you know, leave heavy chainsaw home and bring a fucking basic bowl.
>>
>>637561
>asking for 4chan for help in the first place
be glad they're being constructive
>>
>>637561
well you can always use a blade to split a log and chisel it smooth for a spoon and do the same. i guess for making a mortar it's easier if the wood is still rooted in the ground as you burn it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>635196
>>637561
>other specialty woodworking tools?

A folding buck saw isn't a specialty tool, fyi.
>>
>>635196
Use a rock.
>>
>>636618
>just fucking bring a spoon
this for an eating spoon. but i can see it if you are in a group or going to a semi permanent camp or something and doing some more complex cooking. crafting a ladle or spatula etc, because you need a hobby for while your out but a little eating spoon is so small who really cares.
>>
>>635196
Knife and fire. Or creative use of rocks, other sticks, sand, gravel, or whatever, and grind that hole down by hand.
Be creative, do what humans do best and figure that shit out.
>>
>>641554
i always bring two spoons because i drop my shit all the time and don't like to eat from the ground
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.