[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to go from beginner archery to being able to hit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: rabbit_gray_in_grass_270x224.jpg (28KB, 270x224px) Image search: [Google]
rabbit_gray_in_grass_270x224.jpg
28KB, 270x224px
How hard is it to go from beginner archery to being able to hit a rabbit?
Ive acquired three bows, 1 fiberglass shortbow and 2 wooden longbows. Having never shot a bow before, i would love to be able to hunt with one, though i understand that goal is very ambitious.
In ny area we only really have rabbits, coyotes, bobcats, a small handful of deer that i dont think we can hunt, and some wild pigs if you can find them.
Ideally i would be able to hone the skill to the point of hunting rabbits (jack rabbit has no season, others do) so i have a few questions

>where can i buy cheap practice arrows?
>would the shit fiberglass one be able to kill a rabbit?
>do i NEED a real bowstring?
One of the wooden ones is strung with kevlar cord
>should i buy small game arrowheads or try to retrieve arrows
>>
>>634925
/k/ might be able to help

I think with rabbits and other small game the idea is to stun them with blunt tips.

You'd probably also need to be prepared to hit a moving target. It's not impossible as I've seen people shoot pheasant out of the air with bows.

People hunt everything with bows. There's even tips for turkey.

I think it all boils down to practice.
>>
>>634925
> do I NEED a real bowstring

No, no you don't. Imaginary bowstrings will suffice.
>>
File: stump arrow tip.jpg (2KB, 140x121px) Image search: [Google]
stump arrow tip.jpg
2KB, 140x121px
>>634925
Depends really. You can get tips like the one in pic related or some type of field points. While you can try to shoot them on the move I generally just creep close enough while they are just standing there and shoot. You can get close enough to do so before they run off. You just need to practice either way of how you want to hunt.
>>
>>634925
Why do you need to shoot a rabbit? is it your only source for food? Has NY fallen to a 3rd world country?
>>
>>635042
Wrong coast, dummy.

Im plannin on sneakin up on them, hitting a running rabbit sounds crazy hard.
>>
>>635094
In many places they'll just freeze and hold still when they see you, only running if you make sudden movements or get too close.

Depends on how paranoid the rabbits are in that area, though.
>>
>>635094
You did type ny dummy..or maybe you just have fat fingers.
>>
>>635114
Fuck, my bad. I typed it on a phone. Im in California though
>>
>>63511 Where in Cali? I'm In N. Nevada about 15 miles from Truckee/Donner. I won't hunt but Long Distance hiking..I'm down
>>
>>635121
Im about 30 miles from the coast.
Cleveland National Forest is my backyard
>>
>>635124
looks nice. I haven't done any coastal hiking just the eastern and western slopes around Tahoe. Did go to Big Sur a couple times this past summer...looks like prime trekking territory
>>
Your success will depend more on your ability to find/get close to a rabbit, rather than your aim.

You can easily spend time in a field practicing your aim. It will take ~50 hours of training to become proficient enough to hunt rabbits, i.e. able to consistently make a 6" grouping at 15 metres.

The harder part (in most places where it's legal to hunt) will be finding the rabbits, and getting within shooting range. A compound bow's humane lethality range for deer is ~40m, outside of that you can't get a clean kill. For rabbits, I would assume the lethality range is longer because they are smaller animals, but if you could hit a rabbit at >40m you wouldn't need advice from me. That being said, your shooting range for rabbits will probably be 10-20m.

Practise your archery at ranges increasing by 7m each time. Start with 7m, then 14m, 21m, 28m, and eventually 35m. Make sure you practise with the bow and arrows you will be hunting with, so that you can get a feel for the draw/drop etc.
>>
>>635148
I have spent alot of time throwing sticks at rabbits, so i have some practice getting close.

My problem is 0 archery experience
>>
>>635037
this right here. When you miss these tips flip the arrow up and prevent it from being lost in the grass. Use these to knock a coffee can around the backyard. and you will be pro in no time.
>>
>>635148
>>635148
>consistently make a 6" grouping at 15 metres

8" (about the size of a small pie plate) is the ideal kill zone on a cervid. For rabbits, it's much smaller. Far less than 6". I'd avoid bow shots longer than 10m on small game for this reason.
>>
>>634925
Why not just use a .22? You don't have to get nearly as close.m
>>
what draw weight do your bows have?
which fiberglass bow do you have?

I'd buy good lightweight carbon arrows.
I think speed and accuracy are the key factors in short range.

practice with the lightest bow and then move to higher draw weight when you've become accurate. Form and consistency are everything.
>>
>>635302
That's true, but if you're hunting jackrabbits like OP, hitting a jackrabbit within 3 inches of the killzone (6" diameter) is pretty likely to immobilize it.

If you were using a .22 rifle, then you're right, you would need to be much more precise. But, a full size arrow carries enough energy to break the spine or shoulders, which will knock him down.
>>
>>634925
Rabbits are constantly changing speed and direction, in addition to bobbing up and down as they run. Most people have difficulty hitting them with shotguns. That said, it makes for an amazingly challenging sport hunting experience. You'll enjoy it. But if you're just hunting for food, snares are a much easier and more reliable way to catch them.
>>
>>635305
Guns are expensive
>>
>>635412
Rabbits are fuzzy.
>>
>>635412
>>635422
trees are tall
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.